Jump to content


State of the game by the Suaraj

state game release

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Grumpy_Guts #41 Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Conquest Member
  • 8277 battles
  • 982
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    08-08-2012
My computer is by no means top of the range but is a purpose built mid-priced gaming machine, more than adequate to play most games on the market today.
I have played several online games and being relatively new to this gaming concept have taken to it like a duck to water, albeit with two bricks tied to its feet and an eye patch so it seems at times.
When I was lucky enough to get an invite to test this game I was the happiest chap on the bloc, not only because I had been given the chance to be a tester for an unreleased game but it was air combat as well and even back then looked very promising.
Having weathered and sort of mastered most things that the new patches introduced each time, I still get that buzz every time I press Battle.
Also as I have said I have played several online games but this one has been the only one where other players have accepted me for what I am, a 58 yr old fart zimmer frame and all. And from all over the world as well,don't get much better than that.
My only problem and the main reason for this post is I like playing this game with other people, those I do not know and the new friends I have made. But every now and then I keep getting Packet-loss only with this game, with game release close I hope this is a bug and not a problem when playing finished game.
Thank you......

Edited by Colebeanz57, 23 August 2013 - 01:46 AM.


Bigglesof206 #42 Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • 670
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    07-23-2012
Great,
we can form the '58 yr old fart' club, maybe the '58 yr old fart Squadron' or something!

Dave
(Also 58. Also, I suspect, ex RAF)

Flakmech #43 Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 212
  • [SSK] SSK
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
i also agree with da mighty suaraj but i want to add one thought.
the mg spread... can it be, WG wants to force us to get this new sniper skill for wing mounted guns?
i still haven't tested it, anyone did it and wants to tell us?


Mochican #44 Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

    Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 0 battles
  • 71
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
I believe build them as close to Historical values as possible then allow the players choose which aircraft they wish to fly and allow their skills take over. As it stand now the balancing in this game is so out of whack. Concentrate on missions, maps And forget Ivan and Serb!!

Hanszeehock #45 Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 1 battle
  • 2,872
  • [COSTS] COSTS
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View PostColebeanz57, on 23 August 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

My computer is by no means top of the range but is a purpose built mid-priced gaming machine, more than adequate to play most games on the market today.
I have played several online games and being relatively new to this gaming concept have taken to it like a duck to water, albeit with two bricks tied to its feet and an eye patch so it seems at times.
When I was lucky enough to get an invite to test this game I was the happiest chap on the bloc, not only because I had been given the chance to be a tester for an unreleased game but it was air combat as well and even back then looked very promising.
Having weathered and sort of mastered most things that the new patches introduced each time, I still get that buzz every time I press Battle.
Also as I have said I have played several online games but this one has been the only one where other players have accepted me for what I am, a 58 yr old fart zimmer frame and all. And from all over the world as well,don't get much better than that.
My only problem and the main reason for this post is I like playing this game with other people, those I do not know and the new friends I have made. But every now and then I keep getting Packet-loss only with this game, with game release close I hope this is a bug and not a problem when playing finished game.
Thank you......
I'm a relatively young 49 year old but I agree with the basic sentiments in your post.
It's a free game, It's fun to play and I still enjoy it very much. I could understand all the moaning if people had paid £40 up front and could not even connect to the servers, like Sim City. If you were new to the game now and had not played any of the other versions would there be so much negativity? The only thing that is unforgivable is if the game crashes all the time. Maybe I'm just lucky but its only happened to me once.

Edited by Hanszeehock, 24 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.


AnuSuaraj #46 Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

    He Who Knows all the Hacks...

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 3,244
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
  • Member since:
    02-03-2012

View PostHanszeehock, on 24 August 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm a relatively young 49 year old but I agree with the basic sentiments in your post.
It's a free game, It's fun to play and I still enjoy it very much. I could understand all the moaning if people had paid £40 up front and could not even connect to the servers, like Sim City. If you were new to the game now and had not played any of the other versions would there be so much negativity? The only thing that is unforgivable is if the game crashes all the time. Maybe I'm just lucky but its only happened to me once.

Wrong. The thing is, people are going to give more of an effort to actually play or like a game that they paid for than a game they got for nothing...

A PC game you bought for 50$:

- if it doesn't work you will try to troubleshoot it, make it work at all cost, I mean you did pay 50$ for the damn thing...
- if it lags you will try to optimize the graphic settings, might even try to upgrade your computer...
- if you get packet loss you will check you connection, might try to upgrade your ISP...

Free MMO title you haven't paid for:

- if it doesn't work you will uninstall...
- if it lags you will uninstall...
- if you get packet loss you will uninstall...

So MMO titles have to be better right from the start to attract and keep players...

Death From Above Member

 


Hanszeehock #47 Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 1 battle
  • 2,872
  • [COSTS] COSTS
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View PostAnuSuaraj, on 24 August 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostHanszeehock, on 24 August 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm a relatively young 49 year old but I agree with the basic sentiments in your post.
It's a free game, It's fun to play and I still enjoy it very much. I could understand all the moaning if people had paid £40 up front and could not even connect to the servers, like Sim City. If you were new to the game now and had not played any of the other versions would there be so much negativity? The only thing that is unforgivable is if the game crashes all the time. Maybe I'm just lucky but its only happened to me once.

Wrong. The thing is, people are going to give more of an effort to actually play or like a game that they paid for than a game they got for nothing...

A PC game you bought for 50$:

- if it doesn't work you will try to troubleshoot it, make it work at all cost, I mean you did pay 50$ for the damn thing...
- if it lags you will try to optimize the graphic settings, might even try to upgrade your computer...
- if you get packet loss you will check you connection, might try to upgrade your ISP...

Free MMO title you haven't paid for:

- if it doesn't work you will uninstall...
- if it lags you will uninstall...
- if you get packet loss you will uninstall...

So MMO titles have to be better right from the start to attract and keep players...

I don't think I'm that wrong. I agree that performance issues will put people off. But most people replying to your interesting OP just moan about changes to the game from earlier versions. I still think it's a great game and enjoy playing it. Surely that is the basic thing here ? Cheers

_Grim_ #48 Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

    Official Reaper

  • Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • 2,242
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
  • Member since:
    11-04-2011

View PostHanszeehock, on 24 August 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:


I don't think I'm that wrong. I agree that performance issues will put people off. But most people replying to your interesting OP just moan about changes to the game from earlier versions. I still think it's a great game and enjoy playing it. Surely that is the basic thing here ? Cheers

So ...we should just accept the current inferior version of the game we receive and just live with it ?You see ,there are different levels of enjoyment -when a certain patch (like the present 0.5.1.) reduces the level of enjoyment further more( like it wasn't already down due to that insult called 0.4.0) I intend to fight against it. Why should we just accept a clearly inferior HUD,plane markers or controls ?Could you please explain what's the enjoyment in losing control of your plane when in a dogfight because  your roll rate enters hyper drive ?

You see us older testers,who have been here for a very long time,have seen what the game could be and have experienced how much fun it used to be and it's just heart breaking seeing what is happening to it now.This patch just brought the dumbing down to a new level with the hyper roll effect and reduced gun accuracy,and I find this to be unacceptable and unforgiving...so yes,I intend to "moan" about that as much as possible :sceptic: ...
...................................................................................................
..........................................................................................................Death from Above Reaper and Magister

Hanszeehock #49 Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 1 battle
  • 2,872
  • [COSTS] COSTS
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View Post_Grim_, on 24 August 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostHanszeehock, on 24 August 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I don't think I'm that wrong. I agree that performance issues will put people off. But most people replying to your interesting OP just moan about changes to the game from earlier versions. I still think it's a great game and enjoy playing it. Surely that is the basic thing here ? Cheers
So ...we should just accept the current inferior version of the game we receive and just live with it ?You see ,there are different levels of enjoyment -when a certain patch (like the present 0.5.1.) reduces the level of enjoyment further more( like it wasn't already down due to that insult called 0.4.0) I intend to fight against it. Why should we just accept a clearly inferior HUD,plane markers or controls ?Could you please explain what's the enjoyment in losing control of your plane when in a dogfight because  your roll rate enters hyper drive ?
You see us older testers,who have been here for a very long time,have seen what the game could be and have experienced how much fun it used to be and it's just heart breaking seeing what is happening to it now.This patch just brought the dumbing down to a new level with the hyper roll effect and reduced gun accuracy,and I find this to be unacceptable and unforgiving...so yes,I intend to "moan" about that as much as possible :sceptic: ...
Your point taken, hopefully the developers will agree, my very simple point was I still enjoy the game very much. My flying skills don't notice the 'hyper roll effect'. It does seem to take longer to shoot people down but then I wasn't that accurate to start with. I guess I'm easily pleased. Regards  :eyesup:

Edited by Hanszeehock, 24 August 2013 - 07:17 PM.


Bigglesof206 #50 Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • 670
  • [DAFT] DAFT
  • Member since:
    07-23-2012
The longer I play the more I agree with guys like Grim.
I played an early beta on NA before a long gap, after which I joined the CB here a week or two before OB. That early NA beta had such delights as the red screen to contend with, and a lot of control issues - hitting targets was pot luck for some of us. (Still is at times).

The game has advanced a great deal since then, and the last couple of months it has certainly moved forward - but it is immensely frustrating to see WG breaking things for the hell of it, and I for one think they should participate in these forums in the threads that address game mechanics, changes to the way the program deals with things, balance and so forth.

It is obvious to 90%+ I would suggest that the roster of maps is too small, for example, I doubt WG are unaware of this, some poor soul at WG is working 90 hour weeks on this I bet. Other stuff though - like the bug/enhancement (depending on whether it was done on purpose) that makes your controls go into hyperdrive at close range - well, we bitch here about it, but where is the WG input explaining whether it was done deliberately, and more importantly the dialogue where those who see it as a huge issue can explain it to WG so they fix it?

Where is the thread where I can post my ideas and a WG employee who can actually pass them into the development/bug fix chain exists? I can report a bug, via a fairly annoying ticket, but where can I tell them that their targeting system is poor (at best) and why I think that? Yes, I can post here endlessly - but I'm dammed if there's any evidence that WG is even reading this forum for the most part - there is almost no feedback.

I suspect that WG have their vision, and they think this forum is a good way for the players to vent, but the signal to noise here is too low to pay attention to. Consequently we get what we are given, and the user feedback is pretty much ignored.

Dave





Also tagged with state, game, release

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users