Why rushing the game release is a bad idea...

rushing game release bad seriously

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

Poll: WoWP release date... (134 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 10 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you think that WoWP release is being rushed for no good reason?

1. Yes. This game is still far from being a complete product... (89 votes [66.42%])

Percentage of vote: 66.42%

2. No. This game is ready for release. (26 votes [19.40%])

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

3. I dunno. Why are you so annoying dude? Go away. Seriously. (19 votes [14.18%])

Percentage of vote: 14.18%

Vote Hide poll

AnuSuaraj #1 Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

He Who Knows all the Hacks...

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-

POPULAR

Why rushing the release of WoWP is a bad idea…by the Suaraj.

Greetings pilots, I’ve just decided to write a short article for your pleasure and perhaps present you with a short poll from your friendly neighborhood troll. Uh, it even rhymes.

Chapter I.

Bugs my friend, bugs everywhere…

No, I am not talking about scary insects crawling all over your person so you can put that can of Raid down you cowardly dweeb. We’re talking software bugs, programming glitches, and other things of that sort.

World of Warplanes is infested with quite a few actually. You guys probably know them, as you do experience them quite often but let’s review some of the most game-breaking glitches around.

Ever been in a flight? And then got excluded from that flight? And just as you were about to start screaming out insults at your flight mates you were informed by them that they haven’t really excluded you from the flight…not only that but as far as they were concerned, you, or rather your (online) name was still present in each of their respective flight tabs.

The truth is that the flight system in WoWP is highly bugged. Entire flights disband for no reason, or exclude particular individuals indiscriminately…truly annoying, especially over  longer periods of time.

Even a bigger issue is the contact list and chat tabs, the very thing that you need in order to establish a flight in the first place… Yeah, it is also bugged. Chat tabs just keep putting up notifications for no reason, and the contacts list doesn't display online/offline status correctly. More than once was I chatting in game with a person who was suppose to be offline according to the contact list, and vice versa of course. Also, both the chat and the contacts list crash quite often.

And don’t even get me started on the in game bugs: modules refusing to research, faulty hitboxes on planes and ground targets, wrecks of airplanes floating suspended in mid air, game client minimizing for no reason and then crashing when you try to re-enter the game.

I honestly don’t know how the devs are planning to solve all these issues in so little time (less than a month now I believe) especially when you consider the fact that bugs and glitches are hardly the biggest issue of the game.

Chapter II.

OMG, I have packet loss...

What is packet loss you wonder? Well, you see, the way MMO games work is by sending and receiving IP “packets” (which are basically small bits of data) to and from your computer and also, of course, the main game server.

The reason why packet loss is even more of an issue in WoWP is because WG uses server side calculations, meaning their own server calculates data (how the bullet you just fired is going to fly, what damage will it do etc.) and then sends that data back to your PC.

So, you would think WG would pay more attention to server load than other MMO gaming companies?
Think again.

The WoWP server needs to be upgraded; the hop servers to the main server need to be examined thoroughly.

Yes, some of the packet loss issues can be blamed on local networks and ISPs, we all know that the Interwebz are far from perfect.
With that said, I have experienced solid prolonged 100% packet loss with some of my flight mates, and the thing that bothers me is the fact that we were having the packet loss at the SAME EXACT time, meaning the blame can’t be in our ISPs (different ISPs from different countries) but in the server itself.

Furthermore, I play enough of other MMO titles such as Planetside 2, DayZ etc. which are completely stabile and without packet loss, to know that the issue is not (entirely) in my own connection or ISP.

Also, I play WoT quite often and I don’t have packet loss issues there…

Chapter III.

Why iz I lagging all the time?

You iz lagging because the game is not optimized precious...

Planetside 2 runs at stabile 30-50 FPS in moments when there are over a hundred players running around, or driving around in tanks, or flying around in aircraft on a small confined section of the map, with bombs and explosions all around.

So don’t tell me you can’t make this game more average PC friendly…or at least gaming PC friendly.

Because I do have a solid gaming PC with a newer quad core CPU, 6 GBs of RAM, an SSD drive and a higher end Nvidia graphics.

Sure the game runs on smooth 50 FPS when you’re flying up high with just a few planes around you, but as soon as you dive into that furbal over your base, with AA popping shots at peeps, your FPS instantly drops below 20 (no matter what your graphic setting is) and you are no longer playing a MMO but rather enjoying a slide show presentation.

Keep in mind Wargaming devs that giving people the ability to downgrade graphics to a point where you feel like you have an ‘80s Amiga game in front of you, is not to be confused with optimization, a process in which your current engine is made more efficient and less resource consuming.

Chapter IV.

My OP plane downz you to the ground, damn right it’s better than yours, I could teach you, but I’d have to charge.

Wargaming has, from the dawn of their first MMO, used the global WR system as the single most important balancing tool in their quite limited arsenal. It sounds simple enough, using the average part of your player base to determine the OP-ness of each individual virtual machine, be it a plane or tank.
One problem though…

It doesn’t always work in WoT. It doesn’t work most of the time in WoWP.

In WoT it works fine most of time, unless you’re dealing with a tank that has to be played in a more specific way. Like for example the M-18 Hellcat, probably the finest tier 6 next to the KV-1s and even borderline OP in my humble opinion.

What keeps it from getting nerfed? Well, Hellcat is a stalker actually, it is most efficient when played from the rear, stalking heavier tanks and hitting them the hard in places where they don’t want to be hit. The fast Hellcat can get into a good firing position quickly, hit hard and then disappear. But most players mistake it for a light tank, or they get carried away by its speed and find themselves surrounded in enemy territory. So Hellcat’s global WR remains average, ergo no nerfs.

Other, more conventional tanks and TDs, tanks that can do most things well and don’t have to be played in one specific manner, those tanks are the most finely balanced tanks in the game.

And that is why WoT is decently balanced for the most part, even with the shortcomings of WG’s balancing system in which a few specific tanks do occasionally slip through the cracks…

WoWP is a different story however.

I don’t want to waste time here on the whole “WoWP is a 3D game in which skill plays a much bigger role” thing. You guys know this so let’s just skip the whole skill gap thing and get to the juicy bits.

A huge problem in WoWP is the utter lack of balance between high energy planes AKA planes that are fast and high climbing but can’t turn that well AAAAND…Turn fighters AKA planes that turn quite well but are slightly slower than high energy planes and can’t climb as fast (or as high)…
It is no secret that the majority of the player base likes to turn fight at low altitude, and that most times those players really don’t care if their plane isn't designed for turn fighting at low altitude…

As a result high energy fighters get killed more by turn fighters…WG’s solution? Buff the energy fighters, over and over again.
Add to this WoWP’s new game mechanic where shooting up at something is useless even if that something is just a stone throw away, and the policy of making turnfighters uber fragile with super low HP, and you get the issue we have now and that is the fact that we have a lot of energy fighters in the game right now that are OP as hell, meaning you put two comparable players in an energy fighter – turn fighter duel and the energy fighter wins ten out of ten battles hands down. This is self evident even in random battle where even if I make a mistake in my Me.410 I can still just boost away from my mistake and not get punished for it. In WoT you always get punished for it…ALWAYS.

Also, the global WR just keeps buffing my Me.262 to the point where I can out run tier 9s and one shot other tier 8s…
We have a lot of Hellcats in WoWP is what I’m saying, and the Hellcats in WoWP are also a lot more dangerous because they don’t get over run when their team dies, they just wipe out opposition and maintain 80% WR with little effort.

WoWP is unbalanced, and the fact that WG and some of the player base haven’t figured it out yet is because we simply don’t have enough players exploiting OP planes yet. But that will happen after release, and it will suck…for everyone.

Chapter V.

Oh my stats and achievements where art thou?

My Sky Scourge achievements remain locked at number 88. My Ground Pounders remain locked at 11.

Some achievements, like the Destroyer, get awarded at a “maybe it will/maybe it won’t” basis. Also, I got the Wrecking Crew achievement in a battle where I died (and one of my flight mates died too), even though it clearly says in the conditions of the achievement that “…all flight members must survive the battle.”

My maximum ground/aerial kills are entirely wrong. I have never killed 16 enemy planes in one battle, not because I‘m a bad player or anything, but simply because it is impossible to kill more than 15 enemy planes, since that is the current maximum team size.

People like to check out their stats and achievements and for me this has always added a certain charm to WoT for example, but the whole thing becomes counterproductive if those stats and medals aren't accurately described and distributed.

WG says they can fix all this in one month, and I for one have my fingers crossed for them. Truly.

Chapter VI.

The Brits are coming…says Paul Revere.

I would have liked for the Brits to come in Beta so they could be properly tested by, I dunno, maybe some Beta testers.

But I am sure the British tree will be finely balanced, especially the HF tree… I mean just look at how well the German HF tree is balanced right now.

That last part was sarcasm by the way…

And now back to the title: Why rushing the game release is a bad idea?
It is a bad idea because right now, WoWP is just a half product… A charming and interesting half product, but a half product still.

It is riddled with bugs and game crash issues, it is poorly optimized and laggy, its core functions don’t work very well (or at all), and the gameplay itself, although quite fun at the moment, will be greatly overshadowed by these issues (as well as by the lack of balance)…

But this is just my opinion. You can voice yours in the poll above.

Death From Above Member

Deamon93 #2 Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [WOWS] WOWS
I agree with you Anu but still we have to see what they are going to do in this last weeks. Maybe they will fix the problems in time for release. As the Brits are concearned i heard that they will come the next patch

Death from Above member

"Memento mori" roman saying

Hawba #3 Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Valid points AnuSuaraj, but ...  
As a software developer myself, let me tell you that a software product is never really finished, it just becomes less buggy. The issues you addressed are annoying but are far from a show stopper. I'm more concerned by 'Access violation' and 'Out of memory' game crashes. If they can fix those in the coming month, I think the game is 'launchable' - if they get all the things you mentioned under control, that is.
Looking for a group to fight with? http://forum.worldof...n-as-beta-team/
Or, you know, just add me in game :happy:

AnuSuaraj #4 Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
One more thing I forgot to mention about balance.
At that is basically these new tier 8/9 jets like the P.1092 or the Yak-15 which can turn better than some tier 7/8 props even at low speed.
This not only makes the game look unrealistic and silly but also creates large balance issues at both ends. Meaning tier 7 props cannot win on energy or maneuvers against such a jet, and, on the other hand, high energy tier 9 jets (like the TL for example) flown by decent players will tear apart those slower jets, whilst incompetent dweebs will turn fight in the TL and die in 2 seconds flat against such an agile jet.
So you don't solve any problems you just create more...
WG perhaps thinks that it is helpful for players to have these prop-like jets as a buffer that will help people learn to play real jets, but this is mistake because it has exactly the opposite effect. It makes people unable to learn how to play jets till the end of time.
The equivalent of this in WoT would be to make a light tank with 300mm of armor that can still go really fast in order to help players get used to the fact that light tanks are vulnerable and fragile.
It is utterly useless and counterproductive.

Edited by AnuSuaraj, 01 September 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Death From Above Member

sharpneli #5 Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [NAKKI] NAKKI
I agree with you about the issues you mentioned, and I agree that this game is far from complete product.

However I also want to finally unlock planes without account wipes so I am really torn about this issue  :ohmy:  :angry:

AnuSuaraj #6 Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-

View Postsharpneli, on 01 September 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

However I also want to finally unlock planes without account wipes so I am really torn about this issue  :ohmy:  :angry:

I am guessing you also want to play those unlocked planes, in full 15vs.15 battles...

If that is the case you will be against this rushed release that will forever brand WoWP as a sub par game...and force its playerbase to remain forever small and puny.

Death From Above Member

Mirbis #7 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 77 battles

View PostHawba, on 01 September 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Valid points AnuSuaraj, but ...  
As a software developer myself, let me tell you that a software product is never really finished, it just becomes less buggy. The issues you addressed are annoying but are far from a show stopper. I'm more concerned by 'Access violation' and 'Out of memory' game crashes. If they can fix those in the coming month, I think the game is 'launchable' - if they get all the things you mentioned under control, that is.

I agree with this.

Bugs and optimization should be done ASAP, but balance is an ongoing process that is independent of whatever status the game currently is in.

laserad #8 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Senior Airman

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
been playing a little past 2days... suprised that wg has a game with multithreading YAY... whereas WOT is still missing that in version 8.8.. crazy or what?
in wot i get my 1st core maxed to 100% while 3cores and my gpu are chillin' ... causing inconsistent framerate and a little big of rage.

heres where the fun starts... in wowp utilizing all 4of my q9400 overclocked cores uses 40-60% overall cpu performance...Nice, right? So I guess 7870xt is bottlenecking my ageold cpu... :teethhappy:  the gpu is actually at 30-50% usage aswell
On medium i get enough fps for the game to be decently enjoyable with less framerate drops but on very high my frames dip below 20 and beyond YET the usage of my components remains the same... are we dealing with a console port?

for comparisson my 3.4ghz/4cores are completely stressed on battlefield3 ultra setting in multiplayer - actually bottlenecking my gpu (singleplayer is 60+fps only stressing gpu)

another thing is the damn winrate.. playerbase is even worse than in wot... i work my ass off to get 40% wr because people just ram shit or fight alone or just randomly fly around dont giving a damn about enemy or friendlies

otherwise the game is just super excellent and ready for release :honoring:

AnuSuaraj #9 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-

View PostMirbis, on 01 September 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Bugs and optimization should be done ASAP, but balance is an ongoing process that is independent of whatever status the game currently is in.

Perhaps. But if it were my game I would want it to have the best possible balance upon release...It helps with the whole first impression thing.

Death From Above Member

Mirbis #10 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 77 battles

View PostAnuSuaraj, on 01 September 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

View PostMirbis, on 01 September 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Perhaps. But if it were my game I would want it to have the best possible balance upon release...It helps with the whole first impression thing.

Thing is that there are and will always will be conflicting opinions on what balance is the best. That said, I don't think anyone will quit because of few imbalances here and there.

Bigglesof206 #11 Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [DAFT] DAFT
Damn, my post disappeared - oh well:

I agree with the observations, but don't think they all point to the release going awry.

Game stability is a biggie - they need to ensure that the game is playable on PCs that match the min spec. It's fine on mine (now) since a big upgrade, but crashed endlessly on my previous PC which had the min spec covered.

Lag/high ping (I've had over 5000), 100% packet loss/frame rate drop - all really need fixing. I wonder if the release, presumably involving a move onto better/bigger servers might not fix some/many of these problems? Perhaps WG are counting on that?

OP BnZ getting buffed - to be honest, I think it will take a good while for the expected horde of new players to realise this, as even now quite a lot of OB players can be found doing low level aeros in their bomb laden BF110's. As in WoT a good number of players never really get the hang of the right way to do many things, so this imbalance (as per the M18) might well stay the way it is.

British aircraft - I'm guessing they haven't got the work done as fast as they expected and that they wanted them to be in by this point of the OB. At the end of the day they can introduce them, collect stats, and will probably apply the nerf bat etc in the first live game patch - which will probably be out within 48 hrs of release.

Chat/flights - not had much to do with them, can't comment...but I expect you are right!

Achievements - some of the stuff on their I've had doubts about, but again I can't really comment other than to say that the max kills has certainly been wrong whenever I've looked at it.

Incidentally, the M18 Hellcat is my favourite tank, I snipe from cover with it - wouldn't dream of running it into the front of a battle.

Dave

Matkaa #12 Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
WoWP is supposed to be an e-sport, so balance is the factor that has to be worked out better.

As Anu wrote, energy planes always have the advantage over turn planes in current state of the game.

It was exactly shown in Silver Wing 3 where La 5/7 line was beaten up badly by American and German faster and more powerful planes (I won't even mention Yak line, which is a lot of fun to play in regular battle, but in tournament it is a total joke). And it doesn't matter how much you like La or that you have 85% WR with it.

The algorithm of balancing planes has to be changed.

Death from Above Member

Kazadar #13 Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Imo the game is good to go. There is no gamebreaking bugs that i have encountered and the balance doesnt seem that bad to me. There will always be problems with balance and performance just take a lot at WoT or any other online game for that matter.

TinyViking #14 Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

English Community Coordinator

• 1 battle
Good post AnuSuaraj, I enjoyed it :).

Rest assured that by the time it's released, the game should see quite a few improvements, but as others have pointed out, since it's an MMO it will constantly be tweaked, improved, updated etc.

That’s right! Ice… man. I am dangerous.

t1esla #15 Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The game keeps on crashing....crashing....crashing...crashingg....To be continued. I can't even concentrate anymore coz after every 10 mins, Out of Memory, another 10 mins, Out of Memory....!!!!!!!! then again after a bit, Out of Memory.! Fix this Out of Memory please. I am not running a server with loadsssss of gigs of memory to feed this game. I JUST have 4 gigs of ram which should be quite enough for this game and rest of the processes that are running in the background but no, this game loves Out of Memory crashes. It's not just with me but most of my other friends have the same Out of Memory problem. I hope you guys do something about this OUT OF MEMORY!!
signature.png

AnuSuaraj #16 Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
Yes, I get a lot of crashes too.

Sometimes I can re-enter the game in time, sometimes by the time I login my plane is already a burning hulk on the ground.

Death From Above Member

Grumpy_Guts #17 Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

• Conquest Member
  • 1135 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS
Too much information on screen when in battle takes up 3/4 of playing view, information on who did what should be posted on after battle slot then can be analysed or disgust as and when. Bad enough trying to see everything as it is without restricted and obstructed different sized and colored messages popping up and taking valuable viewing room. Needs tweaking before release.

sob_nerv #18 Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [-JFF] -JFF
for me game crashes are even worse then before 0.5.2!

Before 0.5.2 if game crash, it happens when entering hangar....ok, I have to start game again of in worst case reboot PC.

Now  it crashes at beginning of battle and loading the map!!! This means i am flying duck in that game. Usually I only manage to restart game and see on mini-map how my plane going straight into swarm of red arrows while map still loading. And after it is finally loaded i am in spectator mode as duck has bee shot down. :(

Last example really hurt. MM made battle setup of only 4 planes, one of tier X and tier IX..and then "blue screen"...gosh...i hate i left that guys alone. :(

lbr #19 Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Senior Airman

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
While I agree that game is not ready for release, I think it should be released ; )
I mean.. more players -> more bug reports -> more important(experienced by the large percentage of users) bugs fixed(granted if dev team has resources to fix them)
more players -> more experienced players -> more balanced game
Tho, ofc there is a risk that product will be simply unusable at all and will be dead-on-arrival ; )

Looks like WG is using 'feature driven' development with very short time between the cycles, unlike waterfall model, where u actually spent a lot of time on early stages of development and in the result you get well-done product(tho waterfall does have disadvantages also, like long time-to-market and general unflexibility of the project).

cowtapult #20 Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Airman Basic

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [STEPA] STEPA
Ok now its been well over 18 months and things still happen
One of the most annoying things in my oppinion is complete lack of physics and lack of real dmg from weapons
For example
u are flying fuly unlocked 109b against some crappy tier 3 dual wing *not premium ones
what will happen most of times is next - head on fireing u will miss more then him and even your mighty gun will have issues to do appropriate amount of dmg
there is like 75% chance u wont get more then half of tier 3 dmg before u are being utterly destroyed by him ..... unexplainable... its just retarded code .... lowere slower and less armed tier plane in ead on fight should be ripped apart with guns in 2 seconds... unless u want to make this game to fail horribly
second example comes on same tier fight but this time being on its tail/on your tail
if u get tier 3 with best guns and get on tail of tier 4 plane unless its bomber there is like 90% chance u will rape his ass in matter of seconds
if roles are diferent u will find out taht is vay to much easier to even miss from close range dual wing although u are keeping aim in circle of it.... and if u hit him only 20-25% chance u will do critical dmg....
when we go from basics like  - i am plated he is wood made and i have better machineguns+cannon  but i still get raped or i rape em in lowere tier - only and obvious conclusion is taht there is something horribly bad in this game
also how can u miss more bigger planes then smaller ones - aka one winged fighters and dual wing ones
not to mention how retarded it is to fight bombers which do take full complement into wing u hit like 10 times at least directly his engine from close range and its still going on ... its burning and all it says crit 10 times andnothing its still there and u make like 2-3 hp dmg per shot ?!
this shows complete lack of knowledge when planes are in question and what are their weak points
Most hp u can take if u hit the @body@ of plane and not its wings/engines which is tbh complete bullshit
if u want this released as it is now u should not expect many players... commands are buggy and same time dmg made/taken is rediculous most of time
not to mention absolute lack of balance btw tiers of planes and in btw tiers mm usually put in mm
when u get as tier 3 bomber in fight with bunch of tier 5 fighters only thing u can hope is to somehow sneak past all and do bombing run
else u get raped in mater of seconds as tehy are just to op and way to faster/maneuverable for u
even worse is when u get in tier 6 fight as tier 4 bomber ... u are so easy target its joke....
if u want to make same mistakes as wot u do then keep it going but dont ask yourself why there are not players on this game as are on wot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users