xbox 360 controller "wired"

xbox 360

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

RC_Geeky #1 Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

As I fly RC aircraft I need the yaw function to be on the left gimbal of the Xbox 360 controller and the ailerons on the right gimbal; so my question is can this be done and if so how! I'm too old to retrain my brain to use in its current configuration........

In anticipation

Craig

MXDoener #2 Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Crackin´ Sidewalks since 2012

• Alpha Tester
  • 2 battles
Whats a gimbal?:amazed:

Edited by MXDoener, 17 December 2013 - 07:52 PM.

WG...fixing stuff that isn´t broken since 2011! :trollface:

Lozif #3 Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles

View PostMXDoener, on 17 December 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Whats a gimbal?:amazed:

A gimbal is a pivoted support that allows the rotation of an object about a single axis......  google is your friend, or wiki in this case :)

When you lose, someone else wins.

When this senario is true, think of them, and not your self.

MXDoener #4 Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

• Alpha Tester
  • 2 battles

View PostLozif, on 17 December 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

A gimbal is a pivoted support that allows the rotation of an object about a single axis......  google is your friend, or wiki in this case :)

So in non-fancy words he means the analogue sticks?

Lozif #5 Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles

View PostRC_Geeky, on 17 December 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

As I fly RC aircraft I need the yaw function to be on the left gimbal of the Xbox 360 controller and the ailerons on the right gimbal; so my question is can this be done and if so how! I'm too old to retrain my brain to use in its current configuration........

In anticipation

Craig

Sry for being offtopic in the last post RC_Geeky, it happens in here from time to time...

Maybe you shouldnt look for the settings in game, try searching for some Windows setting for your controller (or what ever OS you use) i did a quik search and came up with this http://www.howtogeek.com/118059/how-to-use-an-xbox-360-controller-on-your-windows-pc/ havent read it, so i dont know if it helps, just seached     "xbox 360 controller key mapping (Windows)"

Problems with controllers is that very few people use them in this game, so its hard to get help, i´v seen a few questions about controllers here but never any real answers, so if you find the answer somewhere, then maybe you should make a small guide, or post a link in this forum http://forum.worldof...-and-tutorials/

to help others with the same problem.

Edited by Lozif, 18 December 2013 - 05:58 AM.

When you lose, someone else wins.

When this senario is true, think of them, and not your self.

MXDoener #6 Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

• Alpha Tester
  • 2 battles

You only need this kind of stuff If you have a controller from an original Xbox... If you have an Xbox Controller for Windows, you shouldn´t have any problems.

I play with the Xbox controller myself and you can select whatever options you like in this game. Also your option is valid, just go to controls and set it up....

harry_monkley #7 Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles

I'm using the xbox for PC controller, and the only issue I have noticed is that the settings menu can be a little "quirky" about remembering your settings, so some patience is required.

Firstly, if you want to change the controller config, it is important to plug the controller in before starting the game - this may be a quirk related solely to my PC, but I found that the client will happily pick up the controller (for gameplay) if you plug it in after starting the game, but has issues recognising it from the settings menu if it is not already plugged in when the client is started.

Second, the dropdown selector that allows you to choose between controller types (personal/xbox/ps2/logitech 310) is seemingly broken and fails to latch onto any selection other than personal, so don't bother trying to change it.

To change the settings, click on the "axis" column for each item(pitch/roll/yaw/boost/air brake) and then when the pop-up appears move the appropriate stick and confirm the change, and make sure you remember to apply the changes before exiting the menu. If this doesn't work, it is also possible to manually edit the config file.

Edited by harry_monkley, 18 December 2013 - 09:26 AM.

RC_Geeky #8 Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View Postharry_monkley, on 18 December 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

I'm using the xbox for PC controller, and the only issue I have noticed is that the settings menu can be a little "quirky" about remembering your settings, so some patience is required.

Firstly, if you want to change the controller config, it is important to plug the controller in before starting the game - this may be a quirk related solely to my PC, but I found that the client will happily pick up the controller (for gameplay) if you plug it in after starting the game, but has issues recognising it from the settings menu if it is not already plugged in when the client is started.

Second, the dropdown selector that allows you to choose between controller types (personal/xbox/ps2/logitech 310) is seemingly broken and fails to latch onto any selection other than personal, so don't bother trying to change it.

To change the settings, click on the "axis" column for each item(pitch/roll/yaw/boost/air brake) and then when the pop-up appears move the appropriate stick and confirm the change, and make sure you remember to apply the changes before exiting the menu. If this doesn't work, it is also possible to manually edit the config file.

Harry

it seems so simple now you have explained it and it worked a treat; now all I have to do is practice, practice and practice some more.

Thank you to all who have responded to this post.

Regards.........

harry_monkley #9 Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles

View PostRC_Geeky, on 18 December 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Harry

it seems so simple now you have explained it and it worked a treat; now all I have to do is practice, practice and practice some more.

Thank you to all who have responded to this post.

Regards.........

It should be simple, but the GUI should be working without "quirks" by now IMHO.

I really enjoy flying with the controller, but it is extemely twitchy with the low tier bi-planes, and took me quite a long time to get "dialled in" - I would recommend that you practice with planes which are still manouverable, but not so twitchy that they over respond to every input - I found the F-2A to be quite forgiving and fun to fly when I was first playing during beta, the soviet GAAs and german heavies are also quite easy to get on with as they respond quite slowly to control inputs.

A couple of other details worth noting are;

- You cannot use both triggers on the controller simultaneously in WOWP

- You can configure some flight controls as "press" or "hold" - the "press" option functions as an on/off toggle, the "hold" option only activates as long as you hold down the controller key

- Using the controller doesn't prevent you activating commands with the keyboard or mouse - might be handy if you have any difficulties using the A,B,X,Y buttons at the same time as controlling pitch and roll with the right stick (space bar is easy to hit with a pinky finger without letting go of the controller)

Also tagged with xbox, 360

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users