• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Cheaterhater #1 Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

Hi everyone!

I've you're not satisfied with what the default camera views in WoWP have to offer, a camera mod might be what you're looking for. For me, the two main problems with WoWP's camera are:

• Reduced field of view: Unless your camera is as far away from the plane as possible, your field of view decreases the closer you get to your plane. This got even worse in patch 1.3, as the field of view was decreased even further (by about 16% compared to 1.2 and previous). This leaves you no choice but to zoom out as much as possible, which is too far away from the plane for my taste and leaves you with the second problem:
  • Your plane is too close to the center: As your camera moves, your plane bumps towards your cross-hair. This is especially noticeable when you're flying below 50 meters, in which case your plane obstructs your cross-hair, which makes ground-attacking very inconvenient.

My mod aims to fix these issues. For a full list of features, you can expand the spoiler below:

Full list of features

Now, how to install that thing? There are two steps:

1. Enable camera mods

In 1.8.0, most XML files that you may want to mod are cached in a file named "cacheddb.bin". This means that even if you mod a certain file, it'll have no effect since the game still uses the cached (old) version. In order to enable camera mods, you have to clear that cache. This is done by going into the "\res\scripts\db" folder inside your WoWP folder and deleting the file "cacheddb.bin" (if you are not sure, you can rename or move that file to a different folder, so that you can restore it later).

2. Download the camera mod

In your WoWP folder, there should be a sub-folder called "res_mods", with another sub-folder "1.9.7". Create a new sub-folder in "1.9.7" with the name "scripts". Open the newly created folder and create another folder in it with the name "db". After that's done, simply download the file aircraft_camera_presets.zip below and open it with an unpacker of your choice (like 7-Zip or WinZip). The archive contains the file "aircraft_camera_presets.xml". Extract it into that folder (the path should then be something like "C:\Program Files\World_of_Warplanes\res_mods\1.9.7\scripts\db\aircraft_camera_presets.xml"). Restart WoWP and you're done!

I would appreciate any feedback - I hope this mod helps you :wink:

Download links

You can either use this download link: aircraft_camera_presets.zip

Or download it directly from the WoWP forum by downloading the attached file below:

Attached Files

• Attached File   aircraft_camera_presets.zip   2.95K

Edited by Cheaterhater, 18 November 2016 - 04:05 PM.

RIP WoWP

OldGrandad #2 Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Squadron Leader
  • 68 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS
I say thank you Cheaterhater for your mod and your effort. :great:

"The problem with new pilots is that their ambition far outweighs their talent." (guess I will always be a new pilot!)

FoxWMB #3 Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [BENCH] BENCH

First of all, I'd like to say pretty much the same as Duca above me :)

Second of all, I've just tested out all the views, and I have to say it looks much better than the unmoded game looks, this is exactly what I wanted from WoWp cameras, and I usually don't have mods on the games I play, but after trying what you did here, I think I'm addicted :)

And third of all, I actually have a question

Block Quote

•  Zoomed assault mode: Assault mode (which is usually entered by pressing Shift) always uses the same first-person view as the virtual cockpit. However, when both assault mode and first-person mode are active (by entering assault mode while first-person mode is active or vice-versa), you'll have a FOV of 45%, thus your view is zoomed in

Is this equivalent to unmoded game version of sniper view?

Cheaterhater #4 Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to know that it helps you as much as it helps me :honoring:

And to answer your question:

View PostFoxWMB, on 07 March 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

Is this equivalent to unmoded game version of sniper view?

Yes, this is how sniper view "normally" looks like. I wasn't too sure how much zoom I should use, so I went with the default values :wink:

Edited by Cheaterhater, 07 March 2014 - 01:30 PM.

RIP WoWP

jeff_peters #5 Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Wicked

• Conquest Member
  • 328 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
Nice mod, but I cannot use it for one reason: I use the "Ground Attack Mode" to see the bomb reticle, which I will not be able to see if I install this. Perhaps leave the GAM as it is?

DfA cannon fodder

Cheaterhater #6 Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View Postjeff_peters, on 07 March 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Nice mod, but I cannot use it for one reason: I use the "Ground Attack Mode" to see the bomb reticle, which I will not be able to see if I install this. Perhaps leave the GAM as it is?

I'll see what I can do. The option is to use the usual assault mode for joystick/gamepad users (as long as you don't activate first-person view as well), and leave it in first-person for mouse users. One reason why I chose to make it in first person is because when you're using the "lock camera on plane" mouse, things become quite bugged as soon as you enter sniper view. Basically, if you move your mouse too far away from the center of the screen (the exact threshold depends on the camera/plane being used), it becomes stuck and you can't move it anymore, which renders first-person view unusable for mouse players. This effect can be mitigated by reducing the "effective zone size" (aka "target tracking zone size") or applying a greater zoom, which contradicts my idea of having an unzoomed sniper view. However, it's advisable to use first-person view when ground attacking, due to the camera effects at low altitude. First-person view gives you a better view on your target. Since the "mouse gets stuck" bug doesn't appear in assault mode and the AI interference (like auto-level) of assault mode is negligible when you're ground attacking anyway, it seemed like the best choice to me to use assault mode as a first-person view.

Another option is that I modify the view from the top, so that it's further away from your aircraft and most notably, that the camera is not centered on the aircraft, so that you can see your bomb marker at the ground. This would look like the old bomb view, if you still remember that. The question is, of course, if that would be convenient to play.

However, if WG fixes the "mouse gets stuck" bug, I won't need that workaround of abusing assault mode anymore, and I could put it back in for all controls.

RIP WoWP

jeff_peters #7 Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Wicked

• Conquest Member
  • 328 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
Ok, so I see it's complicated. Thanks for your work.

DfA cannon fodder

Slauter #8 Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles

Very nice :medal:

This in the middle is my plane with a right click free view, for interested people 

professional stat-padder 101% WR 8888 kills / death 

always in a platoon of OP planes 
died once when my internet connection crashed
obviously best player ever be very afraid

H4wk1ns71 #9 Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

Senior Airman

• Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [-NO1-] -NO1-
Thanks for your work mate works a treat :)

MXDoener #10 Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Crackin´ Sidewalks since 2012

• Alpha Tester
  • 2 battles

I would test it, if the servers were up... :D

But yeah, Downloaded it and put it in the folder, so next time I fly, I will be able to have a decent camera again! Thanks for that!

WG...fixing stuff that isn´t broken since 2011! :trollface:

iMatso #11 Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Airman Basic

• Beta Tester
  • 4 battles

Nice work man.

One question though - how can I make the target view have lower FOV, in other words to have zoom on target and without plane visible?

Shoot when You see their eyeballs...

Death for Above Member

n0_f4k3 #12 Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 1329 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

Awesome!

Good Job Cheaterhater!

It's not about
Win or lose
Because we all lose
When they feed on the souls of the innocent
Blood-drenched pavement
Keep on moving though the waters stay raging

Cheaterhater #13 Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View PostiMatso, on 08 March 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

One question though - how can I make the target view have lower FOV, in other words to have zoom on target and without plane visible?

From the looks of it, you can't do that for the snap to target view. You can only specify the camera position, but no FOV or "hideModel" value like you can for the normal camera views.

RIP WoWP

Cheaterhater #14 Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA
Please excuse this double post, but I made an update to the camera mod: Due to several requests, I've added a second file called "aircraft_camera_presets_joystick_assault.xml". If you want to use this mod, you have to rename it to "aircraft_camera_presets.xml" after downloading to make it work. It differs from the first camera mod only in assault mode and only if you're not using the "lock camera on aircraft" mouse. This mod doesn't use the first-person assault mode, but instead has a traditional assault mode in which the camera is aiming downwards at an 18° to 22° angle (depending on how much you zoom in), so it's easier for joystick/gamepad users to aim bombs from a higher altitude.
RIP WoWP

V_RASK #15 Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3 battles
  • [KR4KN] KR4KN

Thank you Cheaterhater, I downloaded the joystick version and it works fine !

It gives a much better FOV. How much more are we seeing with it ?

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. (Sun Tzu)

V_RASK #16 Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3 battles
  • [KR4KN] KR4KN

Cheaterhater thank you very much for the mod.

What percentage increase in FOV does it provide?

Sorry for the double post. I refreshed but I didnt see yesterdays post so I reposted.

Edited by V_RASK, 12 March 2014 - 01:09 PM.

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. (Sun Tzu)

Cheaterhater #17 Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View PostV_RASK, on 12 March 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

What percentage increase in FOV does it provide?

Sorry for the late response, I had massive problems with my Internet connection yesterday (I could only read the forums occasionally - and posting something was almost impossible; I tried to respond to one topic for two hours and then gave up) and then forgot that I wanted to answer here. With my mod, your field of view will always be as wide as it is in the normal camera when you zoom out as much as possible. This means that when you're zoomed out as much as possible, you won't get an increase (because the FOV is the same as in the normal camera). When you zoom closer to your plane, you'll have a 25% increase compared to the default camera. When you zoom as close to your plane as possible, you'll have a 67% increase. When you go into first person, you'll have a 122% increase (because first-person mode is unzoomed in contrast to the normal first-person view).

When you use free view (via the right mouse button), you have a 167% increase when zoomed in, and a 33% increase when zoomed out. This is because with the normal camera, your field of view gets smaller as you zoom in to the plane in free view, whereas in my mod, it stays the same no matter how close to the plane you are.

Edited by Cheaterhater, 14 March 2014 - 01:49 AM.

RIP WoWP

V_RASK #18 Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3 battles
  • [KR4KN] KR4KN

Sorry to hear you had problems with you connection and thank you very much for your fully explanatory answear.

Mostly thanks for the mod !

Since I play with the joystick I was missing out much of the situational awarness the right mouse click provides.

One thing that I would have liked is that the sniper mod would provide some kind of zoom because it is my impression that you do get a better aim when the opponent is trying to escape.

V_RASK #19 Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3 battles
  • [KR4KN] KR4KN
Deleted

Edited by V_RASK, 01 April 2014 - 08:15 PM.

Peoples_Front_of_Judea #20 Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
need camera mod for latest version

Romani ite Domumhttp://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp328/Jimac/DFAsig/Peoplesresize_zpsa33f0043.pngRomani ite Domum

Also tagged with camera, mod, virtual, cockpit, 1.9.7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users