Some advice for newer fighter pilots

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

ulthien #1 Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8593 battles
  • [VON_M] VON_M

Several thousand of matches later, I feel free to shed some wisdom for those that still READ :)

1) never go alone - stay in a group or find a wingman with a similar stats plane, and go with him

2) never go head to head against a higher firepower enemy - learn planes stats. You avoid him by dodging down best.

3) watch your whirling in dogfights up to levels 6 - or you collide a lot

4) if high power gunned and have high speed plane - do interceptor runs (speed away, return to kill)

5) if in a maneuverable plane - dogfight, tail & avoid alpha standoffs

6) try to finish off an enemy you damaged or he comes back with a vengeance

7) watch your six. Learn evasive maneuvers, AND lead the enemy to your mates frontal

8) NEVER sacrifice speed, it saves you

9) save afterburner power for escape situations

10) configure turn keys for tight-turn w afterburner situations

11) learn immelman & other manouvers

12) upgrade your plane, both guns AND motor are important. Learn what this plane can and cannot do.

13) know your fire sights distances even when target precession does not show up

14) turn off your secondary camera, it prolly eats your FPS still

15) turn on your radar, watch enemy directions

16) go for high danger targets, leave bombers for later if there is choice

17) shoot off high targets 1st

18) be aware of your plane's turning direction at all times - helps identify target to follow & shoot

19) hold VERY steady sights when firing, or you just overheat the guns. If unsure, stop firing to cool guns.

20) if dying, fly down to have enemy lose the height advantage.

King_ExtincE #2 Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

You mad brah?

• Beta Tester
  • 5745 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
Sticky this please :) 

_Desper #3 Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 5018 battles

View Postulthien, on 23 March 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Several thousand of matches later, I feel free to shed some wisdom for those that still READ :)

I would add some notes

1) never go alone - stay in a group or find a wingman with a similar stats plane, and go with him

Also download Hryon xvm mod to see stats ingame who is good and stay arround him and protect him, you will get free kills as he might get more atention then you but don't go much close to him becouse he will be nervous of ram. 

2) never go head to head against a higher firepower enemy - learn planes stats. You avoid him by dodging down best.

Also add barell rolls and horizontal move to get hit harder. Flying streight is sure dead against any heavy, GAA or higher tiers fighters . 

3) watch your whirling in dogfights up to levels 6 - or you collide a lot

Also don't pursue same target as others. Watch radar and choose enemy which is free (so not on anyone yet) becouse they can choose you. If there is no free enemy try to save your team mates.

4) if high power gunned and have high speed plane - do interceptor runs (speed away, return to kill)

BnZ tactic

5) if in a maneuverable plane - dogfight, tail & avoid alpha standoffs

TnB tactic

6) try to finish off an enemy you damaged or he comes back with a vengeance

Sure but don't be afraid to finish any plane off, there is no stealing and faster you kill someone then sooner you can help someone else etc.. time is important and every second count if battles last 2-3 mins.

7) watch your six. Learn evasive maneuvers, AND lead the enemy to your mates frontal

Watch radar if enemy heading for you from all directions. Don't fly streight if enemy is on your six and do some moves and barrel rolls and head to group of team mates ...  F7 is usually ignored and noone watch radar so you must realy lead enemy into friendly croshair. 

8) NEVER sacrifice speed, it saves you

If you mean that 110B dives from 2k meters into ground level furball and start turn fight there, then I agree :) Seen that so many times that's not even funny anymore.

9) save afterburner power for escape situations

Especially newbies loves to use boost just move faster without any reason, save boost for combat and climb only or if someone need help and you can still save him. If you want to be somewhere first you will probably just die.

10) configure turn keys for tight-turn w afterburner situations

?

11) learn immelman & other manouvers

Also watch videos and replays of good players to learn something new, it is easiest way how to learn. At any skill level you can still learn something new.

12) upgrade your plane, both guns AND motor are important. Learn what this plane can and cannot do.

Skilled players may afford to buy engines first as they can handle low dmg guns but for others I would suggest guns first as more dmg = more exp (less grind) 

13) know your fire sights distances even when target precession does not show up

You can be more prepared and fire imedietly especially for head ons so you can start firing sooner and it will hit when enemy fly into range,  if you have fast overheating guns is clever hold fire and fire from closer range. (closer you are target is bigger and you hit more)

14) turn off your secondary camera, it prolly eats your FPS still

Also download reduced efects and textures from mod section if you still have problems with FPS

15) turn on your radar, watch enemy directions

One of most important things as you can also see who is heading for you or someone else and over all have nice awarness in every situation

16) go for high danger targets, leave bombers for later if there is choice

But don't wait much long if you can see everything looks fine and team mates can handle it, go for bombers sooner then after all fighters are dead

17) shoot off high targets 1st

Depends of what altitude plane you are, TnB plane can't climb for high alt heavy fighters but should watch radar if noone dive on him. For BnZ higher altitude is big advantage and anyone above you is serious danger. If you mean high tiers then it also depend on situation, in furballs usually bigest danger are TnB planes even lower tiers as they turn best and most players just turn with them even with heavy... But at higher tiers where players allready learned basics, higher tiers are definetly bigger danger and if you have whatever plane able to kill them go for them. 

18) be aware of your plane's turning direction at all times - helps identify target to follow & shoot

?

19) hold VERY steady sights when firing, or you just overheat the guns. If unsure, stop firing to cool guns.

?

20) if dying, fly down to have enemy lose the height advantage.

Fly down in spirale to make enemy overshoot you and head to friends.

ulthien #4 Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8593 battles
  • [VON_M] VON_M

10) configure turn keys for tight-turn w afterburner situations means:

have yaw-left and yaw-right configured at e.g. letters A and D so you can quick-turn with afterburner (letter W) help when tailed, to confuse/escape the enemy. Helps at other maneuvers, too.

Having also the Roll Left and Roll Right keys defined can help you in chase straight situations (when you think you can survive/outrun) - and you simply start rolling to avoid enemy fire.

18) be aware of your plane's turning direction at all times - helps identify target to follow & shoot means:

your plane is either slowly turning left or right (being in an ending/beginning of a turn curve). This means you are more likely to follow and shoot down an enemy going in that direction, too.

If you try shoot an enemy going right when you are already turning left, you lose him or lose time and precision, etc. So you choose a better suited target in a split second, IF you remember your current turning direction.

19) hold VERY steady sights when firing, or you just overheat the guns. If unsure, stop firing to cool guns means:

shooting without having the target in steady, not jumping/humping or loosing sights misses the target. You have to have VERY steady sights and hand to be deadly.

Edited by ulthien, 23 March 2014 - 07:58 PM.

ulthien #5 Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8593 battles
  • [VON_M] VON_M

Good elaborations, Desper - i felt it is better to have shorthand keywords 1st listed for the new pilots in order to keep it better readable.  :smiles:

V_RASK #6 Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10658 battles
  • [KR4KN] KR4KN

Fantastic concise advise, well done.

I would only add " closely examine the battlefield and carefully choose your target, prefereably covering a teamates 6 or a preoccupied target, and according to your planes characteristics. Regularly re-examine your situation and your teams situation by checking map and radar."

I dont agree with the point made on F7. I suggest to use F7 and T to denote the target chasing you, there are always players watching the mini-map, it has got me cleared many times and given my teamates relatively easy kills. In all cases I would suggest to "try to communicate your course and decisions to the rest of the flight whenever possible/necessary"

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. (Sun Tzu)

Jimbo1969 #7 Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2397 battles

Very good advice. I agree that this thread needs to be stickied. 

One more bit of advice I'd suggest is...  Try covering your team mates instead of just trying to steal their kill.

Don't be a sheep & follow your team mates to the first enemy that comes into sight. That enemy will almost certainly NOT be alone. If a team mate in front of you goes for the 1st plane that appears, don't go with him, don't be a sheep. The enemy will have team mates right behind him, go for one of those instead.

It's ridiculous the amount of times I've seen 5-6 players all go for that 1st plane, only to be shot down & killed by the rest of the enemy group that they "didn't see" because they were too busy trying to get the kill before their team mate did. Players who look at "the bigger picture" are too few & far between. 

" The Anticipation Of Death, Is Worse Than Death Itself "          www.first-to-fight.com

Asus M5A99X EVO motherboard, AMD FX-4170 quad-core ~ 4.2GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX580, 16GB RAM, Kingston HyperX RAM Cooler, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 2x Sony Lightscribe DVD drives, Aerocool Strike-X 1100W Modular 80+ Gold PSU, Zalman Z9 Plus gaming case, 7x 120mm fans, NZXT Sentry Mesh fan controller

Slauter #8 Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13131 battles

6) try to finish off an enemy you damaged or he comes back with a vengeance

No, dont. Good players may kill you this way without firing a bullet in your direction.

14) turn off your secondary camera, it prolly eats your FPS still

No. I would delete the game without secondary camera.

17) shoot off high targets 1st

Choosing targets and positioning is more important then energy management and aiming. If you are playing with a Yak and go after mustang with zero close to you, you are making a mistake.

professional stat-padder 101% WR 8888 kills / death 

always in a platoon of OP planes 
died once when my internet connection crashed
obviously best player ever be very afraid

KLguns #9 Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2465 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Great advices, I learned that I should try the radar, have only relied on the minimap so far.

And add that in general fighter should not equip bombs or rockets even if they are available since they make the plane less manouverable. And that fighters should kill planes, not destroy ground targets, since most of the time they are uneffective at this and every fighter less killing planes will make your team lose. At least this is what I think is the best and strongest strategy for fighter planes.

Just played a T6 game in my Bf110E, killing 4 planes while the other Bf got only 4 GTs, and a F4F getting 2 GTs and no kills??? Without my 4 kills we would have lost cause they didnt get enought advantage points of the GTs...

Edited by KLguns, 24 March 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Euan_Huzarmy #10 Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Squadron Leader
  • 17238 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

View PostJimbo1969, on 24 March 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

One more bit of advice I'd suggest is...  Try covering your team mates instead of just trying to steal their kill.

Do not leave any enemy with even 1 hitpoint left as they can still spit lead from the angry end! One pilot may be struggling to finish another off and if it appears it will be quicker if you took the kill then so be it.

If you can do so join battles in a flight with buddies that you know and trust, it helps more so when 2 pilots fly well together.

"The problem with new pilots is that their ambition far outweighs their talent." (guess I will always be a new pilot!)

Kafein #11 Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 731 battles

Very good advises Ulthien, really good job in here.
İf it possible i wish to add one thing,

Always be awareness in the air, and always check the mini map.

IEatYourBacon #12 Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Senior Airman

• 1337 battles
ultien, I Salute you :honoring:
Hide your bacon, for I shall eat it.    :trollface:

Jenobi #13 Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Airman Basic

• 234 battles

Nice advice indeed! And greetings from me - first post!

Loving the Japanese A6M1 so far :D

Anecdotal Use of Bearded Guys Comic

Bigglesof206 #14 Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Squadron Leader
  • 11104 battles
  • [DAFT] DAFT

I usually stick around in spectator mode after being killed, and I see lots of players doing really stupid things - some you'd expect from people in T1-3, but you actually see them doing it at tier 8 too! So could I add some more general advice, none of which is terribly clever (mostly stuff experienced players take for granted probably) that even an average player like myself has learned:

For those unsure - LF = Light Fighter, HF - Heavy Fighter, GAA - Ground Attack aircraft (one of the IL family, or at lower tiers the TSH/BSH types).

BnZ - Boom n' Zoom - a plane that should normally be at high altitude looking below for victims, The BnZ dives on its target, fires, then escapes rather than staying to 'dogfight', normally attempting to regain a high altitiude.

The BnZ pilot who is sensible will always stop to consider whether the target is valuable enough, and how likely they are to get the kill., before diving as some energy is always lost making a pass. It is sometimes better to let someone else take a kill and wait for something more appropriate to come along. Consider height and speed to be like money in the bank - when you dive you lose money, if you don't zoom back up most of that money stays lost. Turnfighting always loses money (energy). Typical BnZ planes are the American and German LF's and all Heavy fighters - please note for beginners that the AO192 is one of the best (if not THE best) heavy fighters in the game, hanging bombs on this or any of the 110's is plain stupid.

Turnfighter - an agile fighter, so an LF for a start - biplanes, most Russian LF's (IL16, Yaks) the Japanese fighters. Usually best at low to medium heights, can lose a lot of speed and turning ability if flown too high. Dodge enemy attacks, turn onto their tails, always try to get behind your enemy. Avoid attacking anyone head on unless you are extremely sure you heavily outgun them.

1) Don't turnfight in a BnZ plane, You dive, shoot, keep going - do NOT turn after a more agile opponent once they start any serious dodging around, or they will be on your tail inside a minute exacting revenge - exit the furball at max speed and try to gain height (if you can do so without losing too much speed).Done properly you will then be able to turn back from 1km or so away and do the same thing in the other direction. Use the target selection key to click and select anyone you see on the radar behind you who appears to be chasing you - in the second camera view (small window showing your target) you will then be able to keep an eye on how far behind you they are - more importantly perhaps you will soon see if they are falling behind or catching you. An enemy plane that is 1000m, behind you (ballpark figure to get you started) is probably far enough back for you to turn back and get a decent shot at....anything less and you run the risk of never quite getting your guns on target while he sprays you quite happily all the way round your turn.

2) If you are turnfighting use your flaps to help, It is always amusing to see someone in a more agile fighter who did not use flaps being shot by a supposedly less agile fighter who IS using flaps, especially if they then rage in chat about cheater/hackers etc. You can also use short periods of engine boost in a turn fight to drag the nose round faster, although your boost management plans might make this inadvisable. (ie if you really need to get the nose round faster and you are intending to fight at the current level anyhow then fine, but if you want your boost intact to help you climb away anytime soon then forget it).

3) Don't attack ground in an LF or HF, You may HAVE to do this if your team is about to lose on superiority towards the end of the battle, but it should be something done in relatively rare cases, not something you set out to do from the start - every LF/HF at ground level is a potential target for a boom n zoom opponent, and you are leaving the rest of your team to fight outnumbered. Honestly, if WG gave me a player delete button I'd click LF/HF ground attackers from the battle as soon as I saw them heading downhill.Yes I KNOW it says HFs take out ground targets in the startup screen, thats's basically just a very noobish thing some idiot at WG who doesn't know his arse from his elbow about fighhting in WoWp typed up there. 

4) Don't fight at low level over enemy AA, - if you currently do this then you should already know that time spent in AA cover is time spent seeing your plane's HP diminish. LF's especially will soon be crippled and killed over any concentration of enemy targets.

5) Don't try to climb in a turnfighter to reach a BnZ plane at altitude, You will stall before you get them, they will then have an almost stationary target to shoot at as they dive on you - stalling planes are very slow and cannot turn at all quickly to dodge. To combat a high flyer you have to tempt him to dive on you, dodge his attack, then latch onto him before he can zoom back up - remember, if you can squirt somewhere near him (even) so he uses boost to escape, then you are eating into his reserve energy - several such passes and he will have no boost left to escape with. Any slight damage you can inflict after a pass can reduce the ability of his plane to escape - damage that doesn't kill him can still take out a module that will affect his ability to zoom around (engine) or manouevre (tail, wings, fuselage, etc).

6) Don't attack the IL if there are 2 or more teammates down there already, don't dive a BnZ onto an IL if there are friendly turnfighters below you who can handle him already.There is nothing that says 'we are going to lose' quite like being at 3000m looking down at an enemy GAA aircraft with 6 or 7 of your stupid teammates all diving after him for an easy-ish kill. Sure they'll get him, but they will then be 6-7 easy targets for the enemy team that arrives 1000m higher above them.

No 'rule' is absolute of course - there are always exceptions to any rule, but some are right often enough to make them worth keeping to. Remember also that, in general, there is nothing like height and speed - when you run out of both, you die.

7) Don't make stupid accusations just 'cos you died - it just makes you look like an arse.

Dave

Edited by Bigglesof206, 18 April 2014 - 03:13 PM.

Mihailo_1 #15 Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Squadron Leader
  • 15010 battles
  • [P___E] P___E

Very good advices guys,

I hope that more people will read this posts. :great:

multikill2014 #16 Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

never go into a dogfight alone, it doesnt end well

megace4 #17 Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 22157 battles
  • [DITO] DITO

View PostJimbo1969, on 24 March 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

Don't be a sheep & follow your team mates to the first enemy that comes into sight. That enemy will almost certainly NOT be alone. If a team mate in front of you goes for the 1st plane that appears, don't go with him, don't be a sheep. The enemy will have team mates right behind him, go for one of those instead.

It's ridiculous the amount of times I've seen 5-6 players all go for that 1st plane, only to be shot down & killed by the rest of the enemy group that they "didn't see" because they were too busy trying to get the kill before their team mate did. Players who look at "the bigger picture" are too few & far between. 

Yup, this is exactly what is applied to all battlesceness. Following down to the team mates which go after the first enemy plane or two will often lead to disasterous result.

This folley will be one of the nicest ways for the entire team to lose.

mucho/still a novice flyer

sgtSean_1 #18 Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
sounds good

Jean_Bart #19 Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4411 battles

My best davice to new players (if any and if they are not bots) :trollface: :

DON'T PLAY THIS GAME or IF YOU DO - UNINSTALL IT IMMEDIATELY!

s34n_2016 #20 Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

Airman Basic

• 161 battles

Hi everyone, was wondering if I could get some advice, i'm just to say getting onto the actual battle screen where the main gameplay happens and I get shot down immediately within seconds of getting onto the actual battle screen, so i'm not getting chance to do anything, sometimes I may manage to get half a turn in before I get blown up ...I've even been shot down before I get onto the screen itself, I can see my aircraft in the mini map in the bottom right of the screen moving but the blue line is still loading up and by the time I get onto the main battle display i'm dead?

does anyone have any ideas or did this happen to anyone else because i'm not getting chance to play this game at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users