• 104 battles
Quite helpful, thank you :)

Gufo_Tave #42 Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12450 battles

View PostPeoples_Front_of_Judea, on 25 August 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Greeting fellow Pilots

After a very long leave of absence (got fed up with actual flying around Nepal) I have returned to find.....Shock!, Horror!...my fave game of all time is virtually useless...

I have played a few matches and been shot down in ALL of them....Even my beloved A6.

I know I am getting old...er but seriously, what happened?...its nothing like it was when i left....It seems to me that the joystick is dead, a 109 can turn better than an A6???

I would go so far as to say: Rape!!! but there's always a bunch of them so its 'graped'....I think its unplayable now and relies much on luck than skill, which is a shame because at times when cruising the mountains of Nepal I can still remember the heady days of some of the clan wars..........

......and what the hell happened to my He 100 D....totally gone from my hanger (some of you old farts will remember me and my He )

Watch out Persha Studio...I'm coming to Kiev on the 15 / 9 and you've got some explaining to do....have a nice day!

Never seen a 109 turning better than a Zero. Could you post replay?

View Postomglaserspewpew, on 26 August 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Must be a problem with controls; apart from reworked cannons, flying isn't all that different than it was at launch.

The reworked weapons just reduced the gun range, did not make any effect on plane performance. 

In engineering, could exist not-optimal solution, but ridiculus ones... never
In most cases, the right question is not "why?".  In most cases, the right question is "why not?".
A ridiculous decision is the madness of a moment. A ridiculous person is the madness of a life.

NikeAjax1 #43 Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

As a newb (started playing a few days ago) I'm sadly disappointed at my performance in Tier I & II. I haven't survived many games due to being shot to bits as soon as I meet my first opponent (I'm currently using mouse/keyboard) and simply cannot get my defensive manoeuvres right using the mouse - flying too low and hitting the deck is another matter entirely. 

The hardest part is figuring out how not to waste resources researching and adding everything available to a type that is shot out of the sky as soon as first contact is made - it would be helpful if there was a training mode where you could take up a new type and have a little time getting used to it - especially practising the 'yaw' mode for the tail gunner to operate while flying a defensive circle.

Although most T1 and T2 types are very similar on the surface there are big enough discrepancies between them to make you feel you've just been trounced by something from Tier 10! I once had an amusing 5 minutes when everyone left me and my Hawker Demon alone and I happily bombed / strafed enemy targets (until I flew into a tree...)

I am trying to work my way up the ladder to a couple of types I want to play but just not getting the XP - it will take months to get anywhere with every game lasting 30 seconds, But I took the opportunity of buying a couple of premium aircraft in the higher elements to get a view of the differences between Tiers; to fight in different locations ('Harbour' again?!) and to identify what could work and what wouldn't. I had little success with the premium types which were outmatched and sold them. I was disappointed with the both the FW190 and the Japanese version of the Me163 Komet, especially the latter where the boost time was insufficient (IMHO) and of course the targets for which it was intended (in the real world) were not there, but that's the point - it's not the real world, it is just an arcade game. 

If aircraft types of the kind that flew against each other in the correct theatres of war, were placed in their own Tiers it would be fascinating - e.g Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109, Bf110, Junker 87 in a 'Battle of Britain' Tier ...but that's another game isn't it?  

I've downloaded various tips and hints found elsewhere about which path to follow in each Tier to obtain the 'best' aircraft - if I've got as hot a ship as at least the best player in the game I'll be on a level playing field as far as the technology is concerned and I can then improve my tactics (if needed).  

Overall I find this game a curiosity but I'll stick to DCS Flaming Cliffs / DCS A10 & Microsoft FS and my all time favourite 'IL2'.           

Edited by NikeAjax1, 17 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

0viking0 #44 Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16138 battles

I think You did all mistakes possible in a very short time period and in only 100 games. And You sound like a prototype of the players that stop playing before they even started.

Wasted time and big amount of money (on t7 and t8 premiums!!)... AND THEN SOLD THEM...

1st: DONT HIT GROUND TARGETS WITH ANYTHING except ground attackers, and even then on tier 1-3 try to kill airplanes first.

2nd: DONT GO OVER TIER 3 without at least 1000 games played or at least 50+% of victories

3rd... going up the tech tree does not make game any easier - tier 4 is crazy compared with tier 1-2... Tiers 7+ are impossible compared with T1-2

Edited by 0viking0, 17 January 2017 - 08:11 PM.

A_Botnot #45 Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

• Conquest Member
  • 25789 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

Will be happy to spend some time in a training room with you, will not cost you much using stander-ed ammo, if it will help you.

Know how hard and frustrating this game can be for most at first, am not the best by a long stretch but do like this game and will help if I can of my time, we need more players.

omglaserspewpew #46 Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 12365 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

View PostNikeAjax1, on 17 January 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

But I took the opportunity of buying a couple of premium aircraft in the higher elements ... I had little success with the premium types which were outmatched and sold them.          

U WOT M8?

NikeAjax1 #47 Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Thanks for the input and offer of training room. 

Mistakes? Why shouldn't I buy a Premium or two? I don't have much time to myself but I do have some cash and it's only money I'd probably p*** up a wall on a Friday night, in addition it's a voluntary contribution and a vote of confidence to the WoW company giving me some fun. If I'm spending £300 on a Hotas joystick and pedals a few bucks spent on a Prem is nothing much to write home about - besides which I wanted to see what I could expect to find once I'd spent 2 years of my life gaining enough 'experience points' to put a couple of hand grenades on a merlin equipped Tiger Moth (whatever).

I sold a couple of the Prems as I was disappointed - the FW 190 was mismatched by some late 1940's experimental stuff (WTF) and the Japanese 'Me 163' lacked suitable targets (a squadron of overflying B29's would have been nice) - my choice to sell, glad I didn't waste my time going up a Tech Tree for months to find that out. I now have a zillion silver tokens for upgrades on the stuff that might matter. I have kept the 'Prem' Bf 110 and am enjoying the experience a few Tiers up from where others perceive I should be.  

I had a more success last night assisting in bringing down other aircraft in Tiers I, II. III. I've made a note of the 15 or so games I played last night and what I was shot down with, how and where I went wrong. I've swapped a few aircraft around the hangar and have upgraded some to match those in the Tiers I'm fighting (which seem mismatched IMHO). I now have to grind through a couple of thousand games to gain experience points to upgrade via the Tech Tree to something I want ..not sure if I've got the stamina.

The problems for me as a learner have been /are:

1.Getting used to the apparent mismatching of aircraft in non-realistic Tiers 

2.Getting used to particular keyboard inputs  

3. Find Immelmans / loops difficult with mouse - the computer view alters when going over the top and I cannot understand my attitude (I need to play with view keys - rather not when being attacked though). For me joystick input is more 'natural'.

4. Ditto with 'computer view' - in GAA mode - low flying and attacking ground targets - angle of view changes to a 'below' view (not 'strafe view') after overflying and pulling up from a target - have flown into ground a few times.

Observations:

I don't have a gaming computer or fast gamecard - just a run of the mill Lenovo. Don't use any hacks. I have no FPS issues. The waiting time between battles is OK. The unrealistic matching of aircraft types in each Tier is annoying (for an amateur aircraft historian). The limited number of battle locations is a grind - after a few days i've found the best hiding places.

None of the above is a big deal - need to play with keys / views. The tactics are obvious as stated in the previous guides - it's really a matter of avoiding 'bots' and aircraft in apparently the wrong Tier. There doesn't seem to be much specific 'team playing' or 'back watching' in the lower Tiers which is understandable as I assume there are new players like me finding their feet - amongst those from upper Tiers that have come down to score a few easy points, although I must admit a couple of my recent kills may well have been new players a little unsure of what they were doing .. 

That's where a 'training area' could help - a page to go to where you can play with the settings - pause 'game' - reset etc. (Talking of pauses I did stop last night to answer the phone just before 'battle start' and was very AFK for minutes, I came back to find that I had happily flown unmolested through the 'battle zone'..).  

It is satisfying knocking down an opponent that's trying to shoot a member of your team and I have flown around ships masts, chimneys and rock formations at very low level to lose people - I'm having fun.

Wonder how I'll feel after my first week..... 

Wonder if i'll be here after 1000 battles....               

jakub_czyli_ja #48 Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18606 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

Selling premium planes is in general not a great move - all you needed to do was to learn, how to use them.

And learning how to play, if you are willing to learn, happens when you progress through tiers.

Flying up to tier IV and jumping into a hard to use tier VIII (as Japan Komet) won't do anything good. Progressing from tiers VII to VIII would show you what that plane is capable of, what to expect and how to use it.

Similar with Fw 190 A-8.

Record some replays, especially from battles where you had no idea what to do, upload them and start asking.

Clear cache/Skasuj cache: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%TEMP%\wargaming.net\wowp\cache"

And everything else/i wszystko inne: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%APPDATA%\Wargaming.net\World of Warplanes"

omglaserspewpew #49 Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 12365 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

View PostNikeAjax1, on 18 January 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Mistakes? Why shouldn't I buy a Premium or two? I don't have much time to myself but I do have some cash and it's only money I'd probably p*** up a wall on a Friday night, in addition it's a voluntary contribution and a vote of confidence to the WoW company giving me some fun. If I'm spending £300 on a Hotas joystick and pedals a few bucks spent on a Prem is nothing much to write home about - besides which I wanted to see what I could expect to find once I'd spent 2 years of my life gaining enough 'experience points' to put a couple of hand grenades on a merlin equipped Tiger Moth (whatever).

I sold a couple of the Prems as I was disappointed - the FW 190 was mismatched by some late 1940's experimental stuff (WTF) and the Japanese 'Me 163' lacked suitable targets (a squadron of overflying B29's would have been nice) - my choice to sell, glad I didn't waste my time going up a Tech Tree for months to find that out. I now have a zillion silver tokens for upgrades on the stuff that might matter. I have kept the 'Prem' Bf 110 and am enjoying the experience a few Tiers up from where others perceive I should be. 

Firstly; premium planes are usually either worse than those from tech trees performance-wise or harder to play, so they're a bad way to teach yourself the game if you're a newbie, because you'll be in an inferior position all the time. There are some exceptions, but they're rare. You buy premium planes of a particular tier only when you're confident with ordinary planes of that tier. Meaning, you fcuked up royally by buying high tier premiums, because you have no idea how to play them yet.

If you need money at lower tiers, gold is better spent on premium time. Premium planes only become true money printers from tier six and above.

Secondly, you made and even dumber decision to sell those premium planes, because you wasted a lot of money for nothing. It's true that 190 A-8 isn't exactly a stellar premium, but on the other hand, J8M, aka the Japanese Komet, is one of the best ... if it's flown by a good veteran pilot, which you're not. Meaning, you bought and sold one of the best planes in tier 8. You should have waited until you're experienced enough to fly those planes, instead of selling them.

I know what you're thinking: "but I made good silver credits by selling them!" No, you didn't. Gold-to-silver conversion rate in WG games is atrocious on purpose and should only be done in very rare cases. It's a waste of gold usually. Spend gold on premium time and after that, on good premium planes when you're comfortable with the game.

NikeAjax1 #50 Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts  - I can always buy the premiums back that I sold should i ever feel the need  - it's only money and like any game I have a budget when I reach my limit I'll think about other ways of doing things. I don't care how you are supposed to play the game in terms of the 'tree strategy'. I'm just happy flying around.

I was interested in the comment  that the premiums may actually be inferior, as I began to suspect, so I'm glad i didn't grind my way through a pointless Tree to be disappointed with the end result..

I'm discovering that it doesn't really matter what you play with as there will be many occasions when other aircraft will apparently cheat in terms of performance and some form of apparent shielding...let alone the bots, of which there were quite lot around last evening.

I would love to know how many 'players' are using mods of some form as, among other things, I was bounced in the 'Kourier' at speed by a 'Goldfinch', after I had climbed back to height, at speed and with extra 'W' after a dive (a zoom climb). My own Goldfinch failed to perform anything like that (which is obvious - as I'm clearly new and have to have 10,000 games under my belt before my Goldfinch will fly like that) the laws of physics fail to exist in this world.

It is also interesting how many opponents will often turn to face me 'head on' - I don't know who they were, but I never turn away - so these encounters will always give me a 'negative outcome' - but if anyone can fly head-on through a sustained 5 second burst from a Bf 110 - 6 then they probably deserve to win (maybe after 10,000 games my 110 will suddenly become invincible....oh no wait, I forgot, it's a Premium plane - but best not sell it)...

jakub_czyli_ja #51 Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18606 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

View PostNikeAjax1, on 19 January 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I would love to know how many 'players' are using mods of some form as, among other things, I was bounced in the 'Kourier' at speed by a 'Goldfinch', after I had climbed back to height, at speed and with extra 'W' after a dive (a zoom climb). My own Goldfinch failed to perform anything like that (which is obvious - as I'm clearly new and have to have 10,000 games under my belt before my Goldfinch will fly like that) the laws of physics fail to exist in this world.   

Replay would be useful, OTOH Ao 192 bleeds energy really fast.

View PostNikeAjax1, on 19 January 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

It is also interesting how many opponents will often turn to face me 'head on' - I don't know who they were, but I never turn away - so these encounters will always give me a 'negative outcome' - but if anyone can fly head-on through a sustained 5 second burst from a Bf 110 - 6 then they probably deserve to win (maybe after 10,000 games my 110 will suddenly become invincible....oh no wait, I forgot, it's a Premium plane - but best not sell it)...

If you'd check Bf 110 C armament, you could find out that machine guns have range about 300 meters, and when you see a circle, it's for 30mm gun, that shots single shots , so in fact 5 sec burst were a number of single 30mm projectiles and an out-of-the range shooting from machine guns, overheating them a little and incereasing their dispersion way before target enteres a range that MGs were able to damage it.

Bf 110 B has 20mm cannons instead of 30mm, and its shooting characteristics are much different.

Clear cache/Skasuj cache: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%TEMP%\wargaming.net\wowp\cache"

And everything else/i wszystko inne: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%APPDATA%\Wargaming.net\World of Warplanes"

NikeAjax1 #52 Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Thanks jakub, interesting comments re weaponry. I've e sold the 110 B6 premium as I have bought into the Bf110 tech tree line via a different route. 

Got shot down by a rocket from a biplan the other day - the fun never stops.

Joystick delivery tomorrow - will hopefully see improvements to stats.

ThousandFold #53 Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Airman Basic

• 1681 battles
  • [R2_D2] R2_D2

I logged In and will reply for the first time ever since i started to play on beta. 

Here is the problem in this game, everybody is giving some big critics or some way of "well that is dumb", excluding one or two... Hello guys! Look at our player base, lets all scare of the newbies :P

I still remember Beta, it wasen't really dificult but it sure wasen't easy when I started also... After some time it started to make sense (still remember when I discovered there was an option to turn of auto flaps :child:) I stopped playing the game and recently returned and I am having a blast playing it, I literally am blowing my wallet on gold and prems and It always make me happy when I join a battle and see 6 players on each teams instead of bots.

Some people keep complaining that the game is dying but if we keep scaring of new players its not gonna get better for sure.

So yeah the dude sold his prems, big deal its his money! No need to give him flack for that... don't you guys buy stuff back home and leave it in a corner sometimes? Sure as hell wish I could sell those things back :teethhappy:

And so what if he is the type of player who over enthusiastically launched him self in the game, I remember when I first played WOT, I was the noobiest enthusiast ever getting so pissed that me DW was useless :teethhappy:

I mean don't get me wrong this thread is really full of great advice some that even I am reading, but just remember that a newcomer is always a newcomer :)

My opinion:

Failing is part of any learning process, it makes you understand what doens't work for you. I remember i used to hate the Me 410 hornisse (its a tier6 german heavy fighter) in beta, part of my ignorance. After I read about how to use it, and started to do the exact same opposite to what I was doing it soon became my favorite plane (and kinda still is). You see I discovered that, for me, a problem was that I had some play style habits that needed correction, it takes a conscious effort not to dive after the first enemy and choosing the right kill, or circling the lower part of the battlefield waiting for the enegry fighters to inevitably come down in their fights and pick of the right one. Or even sometimes surprising your opponent with doing the exact opposite of what they would expect (like helping with your GAA at 2300 meters when they are busy killing each other :trollface:) At the end you will develop your own methods based on what you read or experience. I would suggest the following:

Stick to some tier 1 and 2 games for now and the regular tier 3 but dont shy away from higher tier battles, explore whats best for you, stay out of the battle zone for a while and steal some bots kills.

Spectate some players you see, not the bots but players. 

Start a training session with 2 easy bots and try to out maneuver them and so on.

Read some topics on BnZ and TnB play styles and give them a try on a closed training session and adjust them to your needs :) I remember that this was a turning point for me, there is some really great information out there and when I started to apply it of course miracles didn't happen all of the sudden but I did start notice changes and eventually it clicked!

And don't give up, this game needs more players!

I find that after you really start getting the feel of it, this game becomes a joy to play. I am not a great player or will probably never be, but now I can give some trouble in fights and most importantly a after a day of work nothing makes me more happy that blow some stuff up! 

Edited by ThousandFold, 21 January 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Boost full ahead, you can do this! You can do this.

+Your airplane has stalled+

Well its not that bad

+FIRE+

Ah.... F..ck...

NikeAjax1 #54 Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Thanks Tfold,  helpful comments for all newbies - not just me.

I'm now lining up my hangar to follow certain Tech Trees and upgrading as required.

Have installed joystick and now trying to work out some issues - some key bindings work some don't, some reset automatically, reticule often doesn't appear and when it does it often disappears again..flying 'views' often change at will, from sniper to strafe and back, or freeze in one mode.. (will be searching the forum for advice on joystick installation and bindings).

Having said that it has transformed my game to the point that I have been the 'last man standing' on a couple of occasions and have been able to out maneuver a few people (but not bots..). It is (for me) the only way to go. Great fun flying under (and looping over) and around bridges, chimneys, buildings and gullies (especially in the Bf110)..couldn't really do this with the mouse and keyboard..  

(Next on the shopping list are rudder pedals.....)

NikeAjax1 #55 Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Just an FYI update.. (always try to finish a post comment if I can - especially if i've just realised I've pretty much hijacked it - sorry, call it enthusiasm) 

A few annoyances with joystick. Once 'in game' the first time the trigger is pulled the camera angle changes to a side view of the aircraft - only does it first pull in each game - have reset stick several times. Fairly annoying at close range, esp. when you have the jump on someone bigger and nastier and your about to try it on. After a couple of attempts at fumbling for keyboard controls I realised flicking the trigger again resets the camera angle to 'normal' - so now after the clock finishes and I'm gaining as much height as I can before a fight I briefly test the guns, as you would.   

Did try HOTAS but need bigger gaming area. 

Ditto rudder pedals - knee space etc

Still a few odd things happening in the game itself: mysteriously agile aircraft that shouldn't appear to be (i.e bf110 v Hyabusa). Diving on the bf from height with it on the deck, amongst the trees, in a slow turn with an engine on fire, find that it overtakes you a few seconds later half way back to altitude as you zoom climb! Wish my bf 110 could that!  

Also the rear gunner on my Blenheim can't take someone out with a quick burst, but if I even look at a Blenheim 2,500ft away - bingo, instant explosive fiery death from a half second burst from the RG, bless.

Other whinges: Love the way people 'stand' around looking early on while you are bitterly fighting to the death. I've now learned to go hide in the first few minutes while gaining height (testing guns) and find:

a) you can watch the serial dogfights begin with the bigger hitters over committing themselves and getting sucked into hedge-hopping and losing the advantage of altitude and speed

b) you may avoid an over weaponised enemy spawning a yard behind you as you think about lining up on someone 

c) if someone on the other team has said 'lets all get so and so' (i.e. YOU! ) they have to get past a few of your 'team' first. 

One point I read elsewhere was that when you have the other player nearly killed - don't bother finishing it off as all the points are amassed during the attempt to kill - not the kill itself. I would suggest that seems logical but it is amazing how many mortally wounded aircraft a split second away from hitting a cliff face actually manage to struggle back to blast you out of the sky with one shot, without warning, on the other side of the map 2 minutes later!    

Do now have a 'list' of names I try and kill first when I see them...sadly sometimes they are on my team..    

I do find it a grind and immensely frustrating trying to amass points in order to upgrade some lame duck that gets itself shot out of the sky within seconds and have given up on some tech trees completely.   

I also keep flying into the ground (sea, trees, cliff, buildings, ground targets) - a lot.

Accidently 'Kamikazied' an enemy battleship the other day - was hammering away but someone who wasn't on my radar a second before suddenly popped up and shot my tail off. At least I was in something Japanese when it happened - but no extra point for originality. 

One final [edited]is aimed at the people on my 'side' that 'helpfully' finish off my opponent after I have expended a bucketload of sweat twisting and turning an umaneuverable pig for ten minutes, wearing down opponents and I'm on the last enemy - I can almost hear them squawking: 'Mine!' 'mine!' 'mine!' 'mine!'....

Other than that (and a few other odd things) I would second everything that the OP said as a guide to newbies. Bye.

maxram68 #56 Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 23665 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

View PostNikeAjax1, on 07 February 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

(...very long post...)

Thanks for the update.

At least you didn't sell any premium planes this time - or perhaps you ran out of premiums to sell...? :trollface:

Anyway: I'm sure A_Botnot's offer above is still valid, in case you need to re-investigate the tech-trees you gave up on.

omglaserspewpew #57 Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 12365 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

You should by all accounts and purposes always kill wounded enemies, as a neutralized gun is the most important thing in the game, similar to WoT. Less enemy guns = less chance that your team gets someone on the tail. Achieving a numerical advantage early goes a long way to eventually winning the match.

That's why camping in the back at altitude actually isn't the most appropriate winning approach, unless you have some particular planes that almost require you to do so. Good players know the meaning of what I wrote above and will seek a perfect balance between engaging early to cause trouble for the enemy and at the same time being careful enough not to overexpose themselves and conserve energy.

The optimal approach is to get as much guns on you early that can't actually hit you. Meaning, it's optimal if you lure 2+ heavies to shoot at you in a LF and evade while chasing some third enemy LF. This way you pin 3+ enemy guns at the same time. Easy to do with bots and surprisingly easy with players too.

Note about rear gunners: their bursts are really deadly if taken to the face flying in a straight line towards them. Meaning, if you're forced to approach the rear gunner in his arc of fire, you really need to maneuver a bit, at least laterally. If you fly in a straight line towards him, he will wreck you very fast, because he doesn't need to correct his aim and that means full DPS all the time, as compared with corrections that drastically lower his DPS.

NikeAjax1 #58 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Airman Basic

• 703 battles

Hi omglaserspewpew wise words indeed. 

Timing at the start is key - this is where experience counts. I've experimented with charging straight in (obvious result), I've tried hanging back to wait for the higher level opposition to start down - but you tend to get noticed and end up with a face full of Bf 110.

However there is a 'golden moment' when the mass dogfight at the start begins to break up into smaller groups of two or three onto one or two and the higher altitude enemies are concentrating on picking their targets way below - if they haven't been engaged by 'your' side. For me this is the time to join. It's about 30-40 seconds after the enemy spawn.

I always try and get as much height as I can before the enemy spawn (I've been dumped on from on high too many times when starting at low level) and at this point I'm already on the way down - I try and select someone that may need help or just try and break things up a bit.

Again experience counts as I've got into trouble changing my mind about who to hit first as things develop rapidly. Heading down at speed when the enemy has moved away or crashed is a waste of aircraft energy. I've tried a zoom climb back to height for another look but have been caught dithering a few times at the verge of a stall trying to max the height (face full of lurking Bf 110).       

The lower the enemy the better chance I have of flying straight into the ground. The enemy are low and slow and a short burst won't knock them down. Mid-height enemies are mostly looking down and these can be caught off guard sometimes.

It is easy to become obsessive about one enemy - e.g. last night there was P38 Lightning type using vertical cut and slash tactics - I thought I'd try my luck. I spent the entire game dogfighting this one aircraft with my 109 - got him eventually but it felt a waste of time..         

A couple of minutes in and you know if you are going to win or lose - if your side are dropping like flies and the enemy are sticking together you are stuffed. If you are the last man (or girl, or whatever) standing and there are 5 enemies left its unlikely as a newbie your side will win - as you are trying to avoid the two on your tail and one flying head on towards you, two other ground pounders are racking up points. 

Rear Gunner: Above point noted but its not when I was chasing someone as I always try and hit anything with a rear gun from directly below or from a vertical dive (and never head-on), I'm usually blitzed after we've passed each other and I'm trying to fly away in a adive at a right angle while jinking, two or three seconds later 'ziiiip' - Bang! Toast.

Finally, don't allow some lame brain on your side to p**s you off when they message that you are a pointless newb and should be playing Tetris after you have just tried something with a new aircraft and got flamed. (I have another name in my little black book). In 'standard Battle' there are two sides but it's not a 'clan game'. I use it simply as a training ground - ideally you need to stay alive, knock a few down and survive, if you f**k up by misjudging an opponent, i.e. you couldn't identify the type and read the data sheet in time :) or you fly into the ground then that's tough luck for your 'side'. You are not letting the 'side' down. If it were anything better than that perhaps your 'side' might come and help when you are fending off three other aircraft while others are standing around playing with themselves.            

BTW I'm looking forward to buying a couple of premiums at the weekend - if they don't work out I can always sell them off. 

KabOOm1066 #59 Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

Airman Basic

• 2004 battles

View Postulthien, on 23 March 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Several thousand of matches later, I feel free to shed some wisdom for those that still READ :)

1) never go alone - stay in a group or find a wingman with a similar stats plane, and go with him

2) never go head to head against a higher firepower enemy - learn planes stats. You avoid him by dodging down best.

3) watch your whirling in dogfights up to levels 6 - or you collide a lot

4) if high power gunned and have high speed plane - do interceptor runs (speed away, return to kill)

5) if in a maneuverable plane - dogfight, tail & avoid alpha standoffs

6) try to finish off an enemy you damaged or he comes back with a vengeance

7) watch your six. Learn evasive maneuvers, AND lead the enemy to your mates frontal

8) NEVER sacrifice speed, it saves you

9) save afterburner power for escape situations

10) configure turn keys for tight-turn w afterburner situations

11) learn immelman & other manouvers

12) upgrade your plane, both guns AND motor are important. Learn what this plane can and cannot do.

13) know your fire sights distances even when target precession does not show up

14) turn off your secondary camera, it prolly eats your FPS still

15) turn on your radar, watch enemy directions

16) go for high danger targets, leave bombers for later if there is choice

17) shoot off high targets 1st

18) be aware of your plane's turning direction at all times - helps identify target to follow & shoot

19) hold VERY steady sights when firing, or you just overheat the guns. If unsure, stop firing to cool guns.

20) if dying, fly down to have enemy lose the height advantage.

Very good but one more thing i see people not doing ingame... Try target those attacking your team m8s first.... i see so many all going after one at start of battle and leaving the enemy to do the same and gang up on your team m8s... Do not do this... Go after those attacking friends and dont all go after the same one at the start of battle... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users