Jump to content


Bf 109 F/G underwing gun pods


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Karagast #1 Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • 460
  • Member since:
    08-18-2013
Yes or no? And why yes or no?

Hanszeehock #2 Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 13031 battles
  • 3,042
  • [COSTS] COSTS
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

Yes because you have much more firepower and can kill enemies much quicker. No because you want to be able to out turn P51s and F4Us at high altitude.

 

Personally I've always had more success flying the 109s 'heavy' as purely BnZ planes.



Gufo_Tave #3 Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 12930 battles
  • 720
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostHanszeehock, on 21 July 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

Yes because you have much more firepower and can kill enemies much quicker. No because you want to be able to out turn P51s and F4Us at high altitude.

 

Personally I've always had more success flying the 109s 'heavy' as purely BnZ planes.

 

You really sintetized all the question around gun pods, at least on the F model


An interesting question on the Gustav would be: 20mm, or 30mm? Now, i'm flying this plane with 20mm gunpods, but i still have stock engine, so i don't wanna degradate too much airplane performance.
On the other hand, i use this gun on the Zwilling, and i must say i'm not so impressed: true, the 30 mm gun have more firepower, but they overheat too quickly, IMHO


In engineering, could exist not-optimal solution, but ridiculus ones... never
In most cases, the right question is not "why?".  In most cases, the right question is "why not?".
A ridiculous decision is the madness of a moment. A ridiculous person is the madness of a life.

Shepbur #4 Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Community Contributor
  • 6594 battles
  • 3,026
  • [WOWS] WOWS
  • Member since:
    08-06-2012

*Cough* Fly Light *Cough*

 

I live for the turning speed of the light 109's... + you lose a fair amount of speed with the external pods... Mind you i fly the 109G with the 15mm cannon and not the top 20mm too >.>


It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.


Hanszeehock #5 Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Squadron Leader
  • 13031 battles
  • 3,042
  • [COSTS] COSTS
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View PostGufo_Tave, on 21 July 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

 

You really sintetized all the question around gun pods, at least on the F model


An interesting question on the Gustav would be: 20mm, or 30mm? Now, i'm flying this plane with 20mm gunpods, but i still have stock engine, so i don't wanna degradate too much airplane performance.
On the other hand, i use this gun on the Zwilling, and i must say i'm not so impressed: true, the 30 mm gun have more firepower, but they overheat too quickly, IMHO

 

I fly the G with the 20mms as the 30s overheat too quickly



TNC_Frost #6 Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4073 battles
  • 123
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostShepbur, on 22 July 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

*Cough* Fly Light *Cough*

 

I live for the turning speed of the light 109's... + you lose a fair amount of speed with the external pods... Mind you i fly the 109G with the 15mm cannon and not the top 20mm too >.>

 

Agreed, light is much better once you learn to aim with it and take your time to align shots.

 

You mean the 109F right? G doesn't have a 15mm cannon anymore.


sig_TNC_Frost.jpg


Karagast #7 Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • 460
  • Member since:
    08-18-2013

Yeah, I`m flying the Friedrich clean too (with 20 mm cannon though), but sometimes get that feeling of being `undergunned` as I do with P-51A...

 

Plus, the other day one more experienced dude (recognized him from forums, but I can`t remember the name now:unsure:)

tore apart my 109Z after a first head-on exchange. He flew 109F with underwing pods.

 

Then again, most players that do serious damage in a Gustav fly it clean, as I observed.

 

So it made me wonder...

 

Anyway, thx for feedback:medal:

 

Well, tried the Friedrich with `heavy` setup, have to admit that it`s much more to my liking.

 

Faster kills, more crits, more xp and moneys, yeah:teethhappy:

 

 

 


 

panzeraustirol #8 Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 1048 battles
  • 279
  • Member since:
    10-29-2013
If you will smash high flying heavies, then yes. If you BnZ, then yes. And if you try to dogfight Zero, then no. I dont have 109 F, but i know what happens when you strap a lot of guns on a fighter.
BOOM! Stuka in yo face! :playing:

Karagast #9 Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • 460
  • Member since:
    08-18-2013
Never turn with a Zero

_Stealth_Hunter_ #10 Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 11183 battles
  • 2,350
  • Member since:
    05-05-2012
No, please turn with more Zeros.

I could use those easy kills. I promise, I'll make it quick, too.

#BotLivesMatter

 

Old signature now in accordance to standards passed by our new robotic overlords

 


madEcoli #11 Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 4705 battles
  • 11
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

On the Friedrich, gun pods really improved my results. Now that I`m flying the Gustav, they seem to slow me down terribly (not the best engine at the moment,though). And the 30 mm cannons overheat very quickly and aren`t very accurate.



Jean_Bart #12 Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4411 battles
  • 164
  • Member since:
    02-13-2013

View PostKaragast, on 21 July 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yes or no? And why yes or no?

Basically NO to both!

Any fighter with underwing pods becomes a "heavy fighter" minus firepower, durability, tail gunner and speed. You win some firepower compared to other fighters indeed, but you still cannot match the firepower of true heavy fighters while sacrificing your speed, maneuverability and rate of climb. Without cover (which happens every so often) you are unable to otmaneuver or escape even figters that are lower tier than you.

 

P.S. After v1.5, high-altitude airplanes are next to useless, so is Boom'n'Zoom tactics, because:

Spoiler

:trollface:



LORDDOOMSDAY #13 Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Conquest Member
  • 14657 battles
  • 2,670
  • [_UN_] _UN_
  • Member since:
    10-25-2012

View PostJean_Bart, on 03 September 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

Basically NO to both!

Any fighter with underwing pods becomes a "heavy fighter" minus firepower, durability, tail gunner and speed. You win some firepower compared to other fighters indeed, but you still cannot match the firepower of true heavy fighters while sacrificing your speed, maneuverability and rate of climb. Without cover (which happens every so often) you are unable to otmaneuver or escape even figters that are lower tier than you.

 

P.S. After v1.5, high-altitude airplanes are next to useless, so is Boom'n'Zoom tactics, because:

Spoiler

:trollface:

 

It depends what you like:trollface:. My best conf. for Gustav is 1x30, 2x20, 2x13. I did'n see Increased dispersion in a dive . Me410 explode in1 sec. For me its better in 1.5 then 1.4. Important thing - fly 3000+ - best 3500+ . Effects you will see:playing:.

UNFORGIVEN CEO

 Kings of the Baltic


Jean_Bart #14 Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4411 battles
  • 164
  • Member since:
    02-13-2013

View PostLORDDOOMSDAY, on 03 September 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

I did'n see Increased dispersion in a dive.

 

"You have much to learn young Padawan!"

 

Follow the link and read again :teethhappy:! But taking into account your level of english, i guess you weren't able to actually read (and properly understand) the update notes :trollface:! In your post, spanning a row and half, i have notticed at least 5 significant spelling and styling mistakes :veryhappy:! You should rather improve your english before commenting on update notes that you were unable to read and understand :child:.



Cheekibreekiivdamke #15 Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

    They see me Ilyushin', they hatin

  • Beta Tester
  • 2420 battles
  • 3,613
  • Member since:
    03-27-2013

View PostJean_Bart, on 03 September 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

 

"You have much to learn young Padawan!"

 

Follow the link and read again :teethhappy:! But taking into account your level of english, i guess you weren't able to actually read (and properly understand) the update notes :trollface:! In your post, spanning a row and half, i have notticed at least 5 significant spelling and styling mistakes :veryhappy:! You should rather improve your english before commenting on update notes that you were unable to read and understand :child:.

 

Wow, he has made mistakes! Obviously he doesn't know anything about the game and cannot comprehend English at all!


Block Quote

 Haut rein ihr Fotzen

 - SergeantBabas letzte Worte


Karagast #16 Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • 460
  • Member since:
    08-18-2013

So, going for 1x30+2x20 and 2x13,2 mm setup is the way to go after 1.5.?

 

Given my experience on Me 262 after the update, I generally leave them MK 108s

out of my aircraft when possible. 

 

Can`t on 262, but... can on 109 G:teethhappy: (3x20 mm and HMG duo, satisfied so far)



Stryker359 #17 Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Beta Tester
  • 950 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    11-04-2012

So...those gunpods, huh?

 

(I don't actually fly a 109, am trying for the 190 tree myself, but thought I'd at least try to get this back on topic :P  )

 

I actually don't see many use them...



jeff_peters #18 Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

    Wicked

  • Conquest Member
  • 10391 battles
  • 3,182
  • [JFA] JFA
  • Member since:
    12-29-2011

View PostStryker359, on 06 September 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

So...those gunpods, huh?

 

(I don't actually fly a 109, am trying for the 190 tree myself, but thought I'd at least try to get this back on topic :P  )

 

I actually don't see many use them...

 

I use both light and heavy setup and switch between them as I see fit. 109s in light setup are very dependable planes, but it takes aim and time to shoot something down. If you are careful, though, there are not that many things that can catch you. And even if they can catch you, you can generally out-turn them. 

 

DfA cannon fodder


Stryker359 #19 Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Beta Tester
  • 950 battles
  • 48
  • Member since:
    11-04-2012
So pretty much like flying a Spitfire with .303s? When it goes wrong you wish for heavier weapons, but when you do it right, you shred things?

_Stealth_Hunter_ #20 Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 11183 battles
  • 2,350
  • Member since:
    05-05-2012
I like flying it with the 20mm gunpods.

Their impact on the 109 G's performance isn't as bad as the 30mm ones and it adds a decent amount of dakka.

#BotLivesMatter

 

Old signature now in accordance to standards passed by our new robotic overlords

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users