Yak-9 And if you thought everything was going fine...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

DraganDL #21 Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

Senior Airman

• 99 battles
  • [4CAF] 4CAF

Yes, I looked into it, and, thanks to my, like 35 years long gaming experience (I started with Jet Set Willy, on ZX Spectrum 81, back in nineteen eighties) I actually understood a lot of it.

But, it's people like you that make me recall the Turkish story of the "Evet Efendy" (Mister Yes, in a loose translation). Allegedly, Turkish sultans used to employ a very special guy - a servant whose only duty was to confirm every sentence, every statement  spoken by sultan, no matter how silly or ridiculous (or intelligent) the statement might have been - Efendy was always present at different kinds of meetings, councils etc. and always stood close to sultan. Sultan would say something, blah, blah, blah, and it would be followed by Evet Efendy's "yes Your Majesty", "right you are Your Majesty", "indeed, Your Majesty"... Strange, but I've got a feeling that this forum is full of Wargaming's Efendies...

Edited by DraganDL, 19 October 2014 - 12:24 AM.

HansGriger #22 Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

League Champion

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View PostDraganDL, on 19 October 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

Yes, I looked into it, and, thanks to my, like 35 years long gaming experience (I started with Jet Set Willy, on ZX Spectrum 81, back in nineteen eighties) I actually understood a lot of it.

But, it's people like you that make me recall the Turkish story of the "Evet Efendy" (Mister Yes, in a loose translation). Allegedly, Turkish sultans used to employ a very special guy - a servant whose only duty was to confirm every sentence, every statement  spoken by sultan, no matter how silly or ridiculous (or intelligent) the statement might have been - Efendy was always present at different kinds of meetings, councils etc. and always stood close to sultan. Sultan would say something, blah, blah, blah, and it would be followed by Evet Efendy's "yes Your Majesty", "right you are Your Majesty", "indeed, Your Majesty"... Strange, but I've got a feeling that this forum is full of Wargaming's Efendies...

Nice story about the sultan:great: 

but in your posts you ask why isnt this and that thing or upgrade clearly much better than the last wich really begs the question:

in your 35 years haven't you heard this qoute? : "A game is a series of interesting decisions." that qoute kinda refutes a lot of your thinking of what good gaming is.

_Stealth_Hunter_ #23 Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 53 battles

Ah yes, the "If you don't agree with my silly conspiracy, you're on WG's payroll" type of "argument"...:facepalm:

The points is your "Looking into it" appears to have been a really shallow effort, scratching the surface at best. And if you managed to rake up 35 years of gaming experiences without coming across games that actually make you think about what upgrades to pick and instead stuck with titles that featured a mundane upgrade system which equated "Higher cost = Better performance", I can see where your problem understanding WoWP's system comes from...

That's how aircraft work, every upgrade is a trade-off. Outboard weapons offer firepower, but the drag they cause impacts flight characteristics. Different calibers have varying muzzle velocities and shell mass, which leads to different effective ranges and damage, And so on and so forth...

#BotLivesMatter

Old signature now in accordance to standards passed by our new robotic overlords

DraganDL #24 Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

Senior Airman

• 99 battles
  • [4CAF] 4CAF

@HansGriger@_Stealth_Hunter_

OK, guys, what you both written is true - theoretically. But we are (or , rather, I am) discussing the very specific cases. I've been experimenting for a while with those "universal upgrades" (reinforced covering etc.) on a couple of planes, only to see if there are any differences between having them and not having them on. Neither my flying experience was different nor my efficiency changed for better or worse. And I can SWEAR it's a scam - it specially goes for "improved aiming", which is probably the biggest "placebo" upgrade in World of warplanes.

Another good (and if you do not believe me, try it for yourself) example in this regard are those "upgraded" 23mm 6-barrel cannons on IL40. There is almost no improvement in terms of efficiency when you upgrade them over the "default" 6-barrel cannons of the same caliber, yet they themselves cost a FORTUNE and their "repair" cost even more than a fortune. That's, my gentlemen, a plain robbery, not an upgrade.

Edited by DraganDL, 19 October 2014 - 06:18 PM.

_Stealth_Hunter_ #25 Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 53 battles

I really would like to know in what sort of parallel world a module cost of 85.000 Silver are a fortune, that's about 2 battles on a Tier VI premium plane...

And a 50% higher rate of fire (600 rounds/min ⇒ 900 rounds/min) is a pretty big upgrade, especially since the come coupled with better overheating treshold and faster cooldown as well.

And given your terrific performance (e.g., higher average GT than airkill count on fighters), it's no wonder you're not seeing the effect of improved gunsights. They decreased dispersion of your gunfire is more obvious, when you're actually fighting planes instead of lawnmowing...

Have you even read the descriptions of the modules before installing them? Or did you expect the reinforced covering to buff your plane's HP or make you immune to small arms fire?

#BotLivesMatter

Old signature now in accordance to standards passed by our new robotic overlords

DraganDL #26 Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Senior Airman

• 99 battles
  • [4CAF] 4CAF

"I really would like to know in what sort of parallel world a module cost of 85.000 Silver are a fortune"

For IL-40's upgrade, 23mm cannons module costs 45000 exp points (research) and 500.000 credits, buying... And this module replaces the EXISTING 23mm cannons. 

As for my performance, it is a matter of MY PERSONAL preferences - if my fighter is equipped with rockets, I feel free to use them against GTs.  I am not interested in your opinions and preferences in this regard...

_Stealth_Hunter_ #27 Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 53 battles

Interesting, as I was too lazy to check on the server I went with the online comparison tool, seems that the 85.000 Silver are per piece.

Still, 500.000 Silver isn't much, heard from plenty players that they sit around with 20-30 Mil. without having anything to spend it on. 500.000 Silver is a pretty agree-able price as well for end-game content, too.

And yes, the NR-23s replaces the stock NS-23s, they're an upgrade after all, unless you expected them to pop-up on some other place on the IL-40. And for an upgrade, their improved balistic characteristics are sufficient (Higher RoF, higher DPS, etc).

Your playstyle does factor into this. As I said, you won't really appreciate the effect of a module meant for dogfighters, if you spend the match mowing the enemy team's lawn.

#BotLivesMatter

Euan_Huzarmy #28 Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Squadron Leader
  • 66 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

I will side with _Stealh_Hunter_ in this case as I, like DraganDL I have the IL-40 but found the costs exponentially equal to the costs of lower tiers so was not surprised but expected. If you are moderately successful (as I am) you will earn more than your fair share of currency with previous aircraft to cover both the current aircraft costs as well as 'saving' some for the future upgrades and the following aircraft. I have paid for all modules and upgrades for current aircraft and at the moment I am sitting on 44 million credits which will be mostly eaten when purchasing more tier 9 aircraft but that is why I saved in such a way.

Anyway, back to upgrades and why they cost so much (and why they do) is a moot point. I have not tested to 'prove' an upgrades worth (or increase in performance) myself but a trusted source from WG has stated there ARE performance enhancements to be had, it is how you use them that would have an impact on their/your performance with them.

Off to play with my big guns........... (well the description said they were big guns :wink:)

"The problem with new pilots is that their ambition far outweighs their talent." (guess I will always be a new pilot!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users