Look-down bomb-sight view removed

controls bomb-sight

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

10ar #1 Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 47 battles

Look-down bomb-sight view ('H' on keyboard) enabling looking down on the green bomb-sight (appears when bombs are carried) and controlling the plane doesn't work anymore.

And yes, I know I can use 'Left Shift' (Strafing Mode) but it's not the same so I hope for a mini-patch to bring this function back.

Marine361y #2 Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Squadron Leader
  • 3 battles
  • [DAFT] DAFT

Try going into controls and relocating the H key to control the bomb sight.

Andy XXXX

A South African In Exile In the UK. And Remember Guy's Never Eat Yellow Snow.

D-A-F-T - For the older, wiser and grumpy pilot

10ar #3 Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 47 battles

View PostMarine361y, on 02 November 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

Try going into controls and relocating the H key to control the bomb sight.

Andy XXXX

If you have seen the 'controls' (Settings) you would know that such option doesn't exist any more.

Shepbur #4 Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

First Lieutenant

• Community Contributor
  • 11 battles
  • [WOWS] WOWS
There is still however the option to switch to "strafing mode" which was exactly the same as the old "bomb sight" mode... so you can just change that to H and fly happily into the sunset :)

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

10ar #5 Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 47 battles

View PostShepbur, on 02 November 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

There is still however the option to switch to "strafing mode" which was exactly the same as the old "bomb sight" mode... so you can just change that to H and fly happily into the sunset :)

View Post10ar, on 01 November 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

Look-down bomb-sight view ('H' on keyboard) enabling looking down on the green bomb-sight (appears when bombs are carried) and controlling the plane doesn't work anymore.

And yes, I know I can use 'Left Shift' (Strafing Mode) but it's not the same so I hope for a mini-patch to bring this function back.

As I've wrote in the beginning the Strafing Mode is not the same.
In Strafing Mode the plane and the cross-hair for MG & cannons are visible while in the old dedicated bomb-sight view only the bombing reticle was visible, something like Sniper Mode for the MG & cannons.

Shepbur #6 Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• Community Contributor
  • 11 battles
  • [WOWS] WOWS
really? i remember always seeing the cross-hair in the same place for both modes...

It doesn't take skill to fly, it takes skill to not make mistakes.

10ar #7 Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 47 battles

View PostShepbur, on 02 November 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

really? i remember always seeing the cross-hair in the same place for both modes...

Well I don't but unfortunately I don't have screenshots to prove that.

Same issue on NA forum: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/34275-wheres-the-old-look-down-bombsight/

Edited by 10ar, 03 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

jakub_czyli_ja #8 Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:06 AM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 5566 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2
Same as Shepbur - the only difference to me was that for bombsight I had to keep the distant H key pressed, while for strafing I've had on/off key configured.

10ar #9 Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 47 battles

View Postjakub_czyli_ja, on 03 November 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

Same as Shepbur - the only difference to me was that for bombsight I had to keep the distant H key pressed, while for strafing I've had on/off key configured.

If you've read the US forum that I posted you would've find this:

Block Quote

buddha222:

"During Alpha and a good part of Beta, you could fly at high altitude and still drop bombs accurately.

In a heavy fighter like the FW, that means you could boost up to about 6,000 feet fly to your targets, and drop bombs.

If you cut power on approach  little and cooled your engines, you could boost again after you dropped them., and hide at max altitude in the game  (with superiority, of course.)

First time I got called a hacker in this game was when I did this - all the enemy planes were looked for me at ground level and couldn't tell what was killing their targets.

Somewhere in beta the top-down bombsight changed. Strafing mode works, but it's not top down.

You can still bomb from altitude this way though. Level off your aircraft in line to the target and use free look (mouse and KB), or set one of your hat switches to look down (JS).

Or, what maybe easier for you, is to have your quarry already targeted (if you are low enough to target it) - then use the 'snap camera to target' button too look down. 

Use minor rudder changes to stay on target. Complicated, but it works.

Accuracy is a lot harder from altitude now, but that's the trade-off for stealth bombers.

Your bombsight also  cuts off somewhere above 6k feet, and it will be larger or smaller (due to terrain/clouds/pilot skill/plane)."

So it was not the same at all.

jakub_czyli_ja #10 Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 5566 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2
You may be right, I've found bombsight view very late and never used it. Even for high altitude bombing I was using strafing view and dropped bombs in shallow dive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users