A jet P-51 Mustang?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

pampa14 #1 Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles
Look at this! Did You know this rare and unusual version of the P-51 Mustang? The link below has some photos and a question: this version entered service or combat? To see all the pictures and answer the question above, please visit the link below and leave your comment.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/p-51-mustang-jato.html

Best Regards!

DavidKab #2 Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Senior Airman

• 571 battles

Hello Pampa , good catch , loved those pictures . In the first picture I believe we can see two pulse-reactors , not exactly a turbo-fan jet more-so a rocket with an air intake , without rotating parts inside. it's the same "engine" normally propelling V1 Flying bombs and I have reasons to think they were mounted on that P-51 just for experimental purposes , since those gasoline-rockets have no possibility to set/trim/cut throttle , pulse-reactors also suffer a very narrow speed-range due the nature of their function... so not very keen to be used on manned Aircraft. The following second and the third picture could be a sort of a ram-jet , the huge , linear and bright burst barely noticeable in flight makes me think at something fueled with liquid propane , or hydrogen . The fourth picture is evidently a rocket engine , without the typical "bell" , no clue if it was momentarily dismounted or if it wasn't implemeted at all - like in some german experimental WWII fighters . I'm sure that was not the first and not either the last time a propeller airplane used a rocket engine as a complement , the Blue Angels C130 (4 turboprops) uses regularly two rockets engines mounted underwing to help and/or spectacularize take offs , mostly on air shows.

My best :) Dave.

Edited by DavidKab, 27 March 2017 - 03:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users