Poll: Rule change - banning planes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Rule change - banning planes (17 members have cast votes)

What mode of plane banning would you prefer?

1. No banning at all. (14 votes [82.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. Banning is optional, only premium planes may be banned. (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Necropsittacus #1 Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Testpilot

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA
There will be a rule change concerning the banning of planes. Since the number of available planes on T8 is already quite limited, banning two T8 planes could lead to an unsatisfying restriction of available plane setups, especially since 3 of 8 fighters are premium planes. What do you think?

Death from Above Member

King_ExtincE #2 Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

You mad brah?

• Conquest Member
  • 195 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
I'd say to either remove it or expand it to 2 planes actually? As I understand it there's 1 or 2 planes that are just that much better on tier 8 with 2000m or less opt alt that by consistently banning them out could provide for a more competitive playing field (especially considering I believe 1 of those 2 is a premium plane) so idk it adds a layer of tactic to it, personally I like the concept
                                                                  Seversky Order I Class: Awarded to a player who was the first on the server to research and purchase a tier X aircraft

Cheaterhater #3 Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View PostKing_ExtincE, on 19 February 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

I'd say to either remove it or expand it to 2 planes actually? As I understand it there's 1 or 2 planes that are just that much better on tier 8 with 2000m or less opt alt that by consistently banning them out could provide for a more competitive playing field (especially considering I believe 1 of those 2 is a premium plane) so idk it adds a layer of tactic to it, personally I like the concept

Well, each team bans one plane, so it's two planes in total. The idea behind banning was indeed to add more tactical depth, for example by taking out a plane that's too strong or by banning a plane that counters the tactic you want to use (if such a tactic even exists).

However, the problem that arises is the following: There are three different ways to spend the tier points (5xT8 + 1xT5, 4xT8 + 1xT7 + 1xT6 or 3xT8 + 3xT7), and there's a total of 8 tier 8 fighters that the teams may play (Spitfire XIV, Seafang, J7W1, F2G, I-260, Yak-15, La-9 and La-11). However, out of those 8 planes, 3 are premiums (Seafang, I-260 and La-11). Which means that teams that own no premium planes at all and want to employ the 5xT8 setup will have to take exactly the remaining non-premium T8 fighters (Spitfire XIV, J7W1, F2G, Yak-15 and La-9) and a T5 plane of their choosing. So far, so good. What makes this problematic is that if the other team chooses to ban one of the non-premium fighters, the team without premium planes has only 4 fighters to choose from, making it impossible to employ said strategy. Instead, they have to stick with 4xT8, 1xT7 and 1xT6. This eliminates a certain tier distribution completely for one team, while still allowing it for another team (if it has at least two premium planes, since the other team can still ban one of those as well). And this would give owners of premiums an advantage that could basically be considered pay-to-win.

Now, you could of course also argue that not all T8 fighters are equal and one premium plane might be OP, which even without banning would still give a team owning that plane an advantage. Hence there is the proposal of optionally banning premium planes, which would allow a team with no premium planes to ban the one premium plane they deem OP (and to be honest, I think there's only one candidate here anyway).

RIP WoWP

King_ExtincE #4 Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

You mad brah?

• Conquest Member
  • 195 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
right of course, 1 ban a team so it already  is 2 bans total, with 1-2 t8 planes contesting to be unequaled by any other aside themselves, that sounds pretty fine to me?
                                                                  Seversky Order I Class: Awarded to a player who was the first on the server to research and purchase a tier X aircraft

Grolim #5 Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:39 AM

League Champion

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
Leave the rule as it is. If a team only have only non-premium planes and start banning their own planes... well it woùldn't really make sense would it?

Cheaterhater #6 Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

Testpilot

• Squadron Leader
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA

View PostGrolim, on 28 February 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

Leave the rule as it is. If a team only have only non-premium planes and start banning their own planes... well it woùldn't really make sense would it?

Of course it wouldn't. And the enemy team would still leave them with only 4 planes to choose from. Just as I explained in my lengthy post above. Did anyone even read it?

Edited by Cheaterhater, 28 February 2017 - 01:06 AM.

RIP WoWP

King_ExtincE #7 Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:20 PM

You mad brah?

• Conquest Member
  • 195 battles
  • [-DFA-] -DFA-
if only planes visible in the tech tree may be used i dont see the need for bans, selection is balanced and small enough as it is if these are the rules. If also planes not represented on the tech tree are there I'd say enable banning :)

Necropsittacus #8 Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Testpilot

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
  • [JFA] JFA
Thanks to all who have cast their votes - since the majority of players is in favour of "no bans", there will be no plane banning during this tournament. (This should also speed up the whole matching process a bit :hiding:). The rule thread will be changed accordingly.

Death from Above Member

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users