What's the definition of a heavy fighter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Killtech #1 Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 10922 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

for piston aircraft it seems to be the number of engines with the XP-75 being the only exception i know of (it has two propellers though). but the situation is unclear for me in case of jet aircraft. there are quite a few fighters that have multiple engines like the Meteor, Cutlass or the entire new soviet mini-branch.

the reason i ask is because originally i was looking at the situation of possible soviet heavy fighter candidates to understand why WG said it's very unprobable that they will add any at all to the tech tree. in principle i see that there is really a very small list of suited aircraft and none of them were mass produced. still it doesn't seem to be impossible since i was able to scramble a line with easily google-able data. sure these aren't perfect matches but i think with more thorough research it should a decent branch should be doable - even though it might lack design consistency with constantly changing manufacturers. 

Soviet heavy line sketch:

IV: Tupolev SB

V: Petlyakov Pe-3 (or Yak 2 / I-29 or Su-12)

VI: MiG DIS

VII: Tupolev Tu-1

VIII: Su-11 (1947)

IX: La 200 (or I-320 or Su-15 1949)

X: Yak 120

Edited by Killtech, 20 June 2017 - 04:27 PM.

jakub_czyli_ja #2 Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 18931 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2
Su-11 is a rebuilt Su-9, which is already a multirole fighter.

Clear cache/Skasuj cache: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%TEMP%\wargaming.net\wowp\cache"

And everything else/i wszystko inne: cmd /K del /Q /F /S "%APPDATA%\Wargaming.net\World of Warplanes"

Killtech #3 Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 10922 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

View Postjakub_czyli_ja, on 18 June 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

Su-11 is a rebuilt Su-9, which is already a multirole fighter.

oh, okay. the tier 8 slot seems to be a real problem indeed. but still that leads back to my original question as to what is the criteria for heavy jet fighters. i would have thought the now introduced Suchoys would make decent heavies but they were classified as multi-roles instead. was that done for the reason as to having a consistent high caliber muli-role line through all tiers?

0viking0 #4 Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 16863 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

Soviets didn't have Heavy fighters that will fit the description this game requires.

The only nation here that needs heavy fighter line is Japan. They had some really great and nice HF designs.

Three branches that should be implemented ASAP are:

British multiroles: Hawkers

Japanese heavys

American fighters: Grummans

Soviets can have another GA branch - more similar to german GAs - something like low flying GA/HFs. Petlyakovs and Tupolevs maybe...

Killtech #5 Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 10922 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

View Post0viking0, on 20 June 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Soviets didn't have Heavy fighters that will fit the description this game requires.

The only nation here that needs heavy fighter line is Japan. They had some really great and nice HF designs.

Three branches that should be implemented ASAP are:

British multiroles: Hawkers

Japanese heavys

American fighters: Grummans

Soviets can have another GA branch - more similar to german GAs - something like low flying GA/HFs. Petlyakovs and Tupolevs maybe...

looking through soviet designs they indeed didn't build heavy-fighter-like planes until ~1950. The Pe-3 being the only exception i found with 360 units build. however there are several concepts that explicitly were designed for a night fighter / all weather long range fighter role - which is the same as most of the current heavies we have in the tech tree (well, at least according to Wikipedia). but as the Tu-1 (ANT-63P) shows they were all a little late and already outdated for their time. in the game they can simply be downtiered but that leaves a gap at around tier 8.

as for the other nations lines i am actually eager to see any new planes. but the reason i made this thread was not as much that i want soviet heavies ASAP but i don't like the possibility of such a branch being excluded altogether. the situation doesn't look nearly as bad as for Japanese heavy tanks which made it to the game eventually.

The Hawkers are already set to come next so there isn't anything to discuss about them (they will be multi roles, right?).

as for the Japanese i am excited about seeing more of them. but what would be the top tiers for heavies? Kikka and proposed upgrades? after the Suchois ended up as multi-roles i am uncertain how classification of jet planes works. perhaps it would be less problematic to fill the current low+mid tier lack of multi-roles with the N1K and J2M first.

as Grummans go we already have the lower part of the line in the game (and a few other of their designs) and US don't really need a 3rd(!) mutlirole line - which aren't too different from the Thunderbolts at first glance. so i don't see why you want them ASAP. okay, i admit it's a little weird that such historically important plane like the Hellcat is missing but still i argue the priorities considering everything else.

i'd be more interested in seeing an US Douglas attacker branch first. These planes are no less historically relevant but definitively add something new to the game on all tiers with a GAA line that is quite different from anything else available.

other then that there is also Italy entirely missing which would bolster the Axis faction for events like the current. they can easily build up a tech tree so that makes them quite the candidates i'd think. Uhmm... all that mentioned with so many branches missing i fear it will take ages until we might see the french or this nicely worked out Swiss tree or even some Polish planes... oh,  it makes me sad to think about it.

Edited by Killtech, 20 June 2017 - 04:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users