Pilot skills Guide

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

eekeeboo #1 Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

OK let's try this again without the forum eating my post! 

This will be for beginner pilots who are looking for an idea where to start off. Others will have their own opinions and ideas, here are mine.

I do not see any real benefit over the other options to taking eagle-eyed or fire resistance skill, crit hits will happen anyway and you should always take a fire extinguisher in to your games if you don’t want to burn. At the moment increased view range isn’t going to give you as much benefit as the following skills as you will usually know where the enemy will be going (to the sector objective) if they aren’t there, then they’re not helping their team and you hunting them is not helping yours.:facepalm:

Light, Heavy and Multi-role Fighters:

Marksman I (2 skill points) — increases shooting accuracy by reducing weapon spread by 5%. Note that this skill is most effective for aircraft that are armed with particularly inaccurate weapons like machineguns, and close and medium range cannon batteries. For “sharpshooter” machines like the Yak-9 this skill will be beneficial only when shooting at extreme range. This skill stacks with all kinds of weapon sights available in the Upgrades panel. With gun sights that's 15% better accuracy.:izmena:

Marksman II (3 skill points) — further decreases weapon spread by 5% and improves accuracy when shooting at a maneuverable target by 10%. In terms of game mechanics this means that you will score 10% more hits when aiming at a lead-compensating aiming point imprecisely. To purchase this skill Marksman I needs to be purchased first. With gunsights your overall accuracy up to 20%, 25% when failing to lead aim accurately.:playing:

I suggest Engine guru next:

Engine Guru I (2 skill points) increases engine power by 3%. This affects both the acceleration rate and boost effectiveness. This skill can be nicely augmented with Engine Tuning equipment.

So with the engine tuning your plane now has 8% more go go power.:child:

Engine Guru II (3 skill points) — further increases engine power by 2% and additionally adds 2% to maximum speed. To purchase this skill a pilot needs to purchase Engine Guru I first.With the engine tuning upgrade you now have 10% more go go power which is no small amount especially in higher tiers or fast boom and zoom planes.:great:

For Ground attack aircraft and heavy bombers you will first want to focus on:

Demolition Expert (2 skill points) — increases damage and splash radius for rockets and bombs by 15%. When you need to get the most from your bombs and rockets.

I would then advise engine guru to help you get to your targets faster and help you out run some of the slower planes. 

The following skills are very dependent on the aircraft, suggesting you choose these last if you like the play style:

Aerobatics Expert (2 skill points) — increases the maximum rotation speed over all axes by 2%. Stacks with effects provided by Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment equipment, and Reinforced/Heavy Duty Control Surfaces consumables. – The good old I16 and Japanese planes.:kamikaze:

Expert Rocketeer (2 skill points) — improves the chance of scoring a direct rocket hit on an enemy aircraft. With this skill it will not be necessary to hit the aircraft dead on, the rocket will explode and deal damage even when passing the target at close range. This is an exceptional skill on planes like the BV P.210.:trollface:

The following seem really useful at first glance until you realise they only improve the equipment you put on the plane not the plane itself.

Aerodynamics Expert (3 skill points) — improves the effects of the following equipment by 20%: Polished Covering, (Improved) Aircraft Polish, Lightweight Airframe, Control Surface Adjustment and Improved Flaps. Basically this skill increases the effect provided by modules that increase manoeuvrability and maximum speed. This is a skill where you want to either push the maximum level of manoeuvrability or the speed of the plane that little further.

Protection Expert (3 skill points) — provides a 20% boost to modules that improve aircraft survivability. Those are Concealing Livery, Improved Covering, Reinforced Airframe, and Additional Armor Plates. When installed, these equipment pieces decrease the chance of critical damage to aircraft, and increase HP points and durability under anti-aircraft fire. This is extremely useful on the new heavy bombers where you want to help increase the defence against that AA combined with your livery.

For special pilot skills these will depend strongly on the aircraft and the role it needs to play. I’d be happy to create a guide/information on those too if the desire is there, but I wanted to keep this one succinct and brief. I can also add advice on rear gunners if there's enough interest. 

Edited by eekeeboo, 25 October 2017 - 01:10 PM.

_se7en #2 Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6356 battles

Thanks for the write up!

Would love to hear your thoughts on rear gunners too.

cheers O7

My favourite youtubers:

Tironan: https://www.youtube....xlgqgTATDskLKnA

Phontomen, Shrike Gaming, Magus, Gaming Bear, Mighty Jingles, Flamu, Notser, iChase

eekeeboo #3 Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Post_se7en, on 26 October 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Thanks for the write up!

Would love to hear your thoughts on rear gunners too.

cheers O7

Put one up on what I think are the best skills to go for on rear gunners (at least in my opinion). 

_se7en #4 Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6356 battles
Saw it, thank you!

My favourite youtubers:

Phontomen, Shrike Gaming, Magus, Gaming Bear, Mighty Jingles, Flamu, Notser, iChase

Solarkrafternie #5 Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

Airman Basic

• 80 battles

Hey, I'm new to World of Warplanes.

I have a simple question: Isn't there any difference in the Nations, depending on Pilot skills? I mean, it would make a difference for the captain skills if I play a russian or german fighter, right?

Thanks for the Guide anyways. :)

Edited by Solarkrafternie, 29 October 2017 - 12:13 PM.

anonym_ZxkC3EBNBO8l #6 Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

With colegial  pilot respect for OP , any engine guru recomendations are now  obsolete and people shold be warned opinion of many experienced players is its next to worthles.

In 2.0 game for every fighter (talking fighters ,all classes)  most important skills are.

1.Marksman I

2.Manuverability expert

3.Battle tested ( lowers pilot injury by 20% and increases manouverability of plane with damaged wings by 25%)

4.Marskman II

...than the others...

Any other skills are now secondary, every fighter needs to fire  precise, turn best it can, and survive with its pilot and controlability in best possible shape- pilot injuries and wing damages are much more frequent.

My simple recommendation for all 2.0 game Fighters:

Edited by _Poe, 29 October 2017 - 02:56 PM.

eekeeboo #7 Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Post_Poe, on 29 October 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

The big thing that most people don't acknowledge with engine guru is that it's not just about your boost, or just about how fast you can go, it's about how much better you are at boosting, your standard speed and your ability to maintain energy in manoeuvres. 

It is also important to get across the map faster and in an expedient manner. 

Turning is an option, but boom and zoom and energy retention is still a thing if you do it properly. The use of aerobatics expert without the engine power efficiency will mean you will hit your stalling speed much faster and not be able to perform as well outside of your optimal altitudes. Not to mention 2% is extremely minimal when you can get more from equipment. 

Battle tested is technically a good skill, but you should be taking first aid kit and as for damage to wings and tail, the key is to use the control surface not damaged to stay alive long enough. If you find yourself in a position where more than one surface is broken, then you will find no amount of extra control is going to save you from even more rounds to your plane. 

The thing I also suggest is every person invests in engine tuning and gun-sights that can be de-mounted, thus further enhancing the primary skills to focus on. 

But everyone has their own play style, I have found those above skills to be more effective on my play style. 

Edited by eekeeboo, 29 October 2017 - 10:58 PM.

omglaserspewpew #8 Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 2097 battles
I'm not entirely convinced of the marksman skill or sights yet. Mainly because of the wildly strange nature of aiming assist that is present in the game right now. Until we know exactly how aim assist works, it's hard to asses the impact of aiming buffs.

eekeeboo #9 Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Postomglaserspewpew, on 29 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm not entirely convinced of the marksman skill or sights yet. Mainly because of the wildly strange nature of aiming assist that is present in the game right now. Until we know exactly how aim assist works, it's hard to asses the impact of aiming buffs.

The best way to look at the aim assist is to choose something like the tier 4 british bristol, go in to sniper view and open up on a target at 500 meters, as you get closer you'll see it taking effect at 400 meters then more so at 350. 

_se7en #10 Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6356 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 29 October 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

The big thing that most people don't acknowledge with engine guru is that it's not just about your boost, or just about how fast you can go, it's about how much better you are at boosting, your standard speed and your ability to maintain energy in manoeuvres. 

It is also important to get across the map faster and in an expedient manner. 

Turning is an option, but boom and zoom and energy retention is still a thing if you do it properly. The use of aerobatics expert without the engine power efficiency will mean you will hit your stalling speed much faster and not be able to perform as well outside of your optimal altitudes. Not to mention 2% is extremely minimal when you can get more from equipment. 

Battle tested is technically a good skill, but you should be taking first aid kit and as for damage to wings and tail, the key is to use the control surface not damaged to stay alive long enough. If you find yourself in a position where more than one surface is broken, then you will find no amount of extra control is going to save you from even more rounds to your plane. 

The thing I also suggest is every person invests in engine tuning and gun-sights that can be de-mounted, thus further enhancing the primary skills to focus on. 

But everyone has their own play style, I have found those above skills to be more effective on my play style. 

I feel the engine skill to be quite useful for the above reasons. The whole plane just feels that little bit "extra" in all sorts of situations. Particulary noticable in the FW 190 and the Bf 109. I run both those with the engine tuning equipment as well, and i find them clearly better.

My favourite youtubers:

omglaserspewpew #11 Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 2097 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 29 October 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

The best way to look at the aim assist is to choose something like the tier 4 british bristol, go in to sniper view and open up on a target at 500 meters, as you get closer you'll see it taking effect at 400 meters then more so at 350. 

I was able to observe that, yes, so I know it exists, but that doesn't answer most of the questions.

-what are the ranges at which it triggers

-how much time on target does it take for it to trigger

-how does it differ between gun types

-does going into sniper mode have any effect on it?

Right now it looks like you need to follow the target in your aiming circle a bit and it's more profound the closer you are. That's actually quite reasonable, because it rewards the player for closing in and managing to stay on target. But what about long range sniping shots? What about snap passes in turning, or from very close distances?

In 1.9 you used Marksman skills and aiming equipment in three general cases: for making sniping shots with generally inaccurate hub-mounted guns, such as the Soviets have on La line; for lowering the spread of wing-mounted cannons like those on Corsairs and Spits; and lastly, for lowering the gun bloom in turns and while shooting upwards. So ... are they still required for sniping shots or does aiming assist work at 800 m too? Does it take over in tight turns or do I still need skill for hitting a wildly evading enemy?

Let's put a practical example here: in 2.0 I tend to strangely miss all of the shots from sprays which intercept the target at a fast pass out of my turn. Meaning - I'm turning fast and catch the enemy in sights just for a moment, and I miss. In 1.9, you could raise the chances of this kind of shots by using marksman skills and aiming equipment, because it lowered the gun bloom. In 2.0, my shots are all over the place, so ballistics and hit detection seem to have changed.

EDIT: also, on a somewhat similar note, does anyone have a feeling they f*cked up the minigun hit detection again? They did use some weird high RPM simulation that left a lot to be desired in 1.X, but I feel now it's even worse.

Edited by omglaserspewpew, 30 October 2017 - 08:13 PM.

eekeeboo #12 Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Postomglaserspewpew, on 30 October 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

The ranges at which it seems to trigger depend on the gun and the distance of your aim to the target. The aiming skills etc do seem to help with this and with a joystick the position of the dot relative to reticle is a good indicator. 

The aiming skills reduce spread, thus the closer you get the deviation involved in the spread makes less of a difference as the target fills more of the aiming reticle. 

RAZ0RLIGHT #13 Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Airman Basic

• 163 battles
should be pinned, some really good suggestions in this thread!

CheefCoach #14 Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 6478 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Marksmanship skill makes bullets fly in more narrowly circle. It will help you to kill plane faster. But speed is still more important, because you must catch enemy first, and you need to run away from bots that chase you. 

Aerodynamic expert skill cost 2, and not 3 points, and it is very important skill for those who use certain equipment. Whit that aircraft polish gives 7 % of speed buff instead of 5 %, engine tuning gives 7 % more acceleration instead of 5 %...

https://stats-sig.eu/wowp/CheefCoach/ussr/xs/en/sig.png

eekeeboo #15 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View PostCheefCoach, on 31 October 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Marksmanship skill makes bullets fly in more narrowly circle. It will help you to kill plane faster. But speed is still more important, because you must catch enemy first, and you need to run away from bots that chase you. 

Aerodynamic expert skill cost 2, and not 3 points, and it is very important skill for those who use certain equipment. Whit that aircraft polish gives 7 % of speed buff instead of 5 %, engine tuning gives 7 % more acceleration instead of 5 %...

The polish works different now, it's top speed not overall speed. 

The new boost provides you with enough energy to get away from most things if you are using energy properly and manoeuvring actually bleeds more speed than before with the use of flaps, hence why you need more power to get you back up to speed. 

As for getting to the enemy, I can safely and with 100% confidence say I have had no issues getting to any target in any game to shoot it, apart from the RB17s with a low altitude multi role. But even then if i conserve energy and wait for 2 boost I catch up to them. But i shouldn't have been trying to get to them, that's the heavy fighters job, but I was left for the task anyway instead of focusing on the enemy GAA attacking us or helping push enemy sectors. 

omglaserspewpew #16 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 2097 battles

View Posteekeeboo, on 31 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

The polish works different now, it's top speed not overall speed. 

You sure about that? The tooltip has always been saying +5% top speed, and yet when we were making test, it was proven that it means all speeds. Has anyone made any tests in 2.0 yet?

eekeeboo #17 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Postomglaserspewpew, on 31 October 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

You sure about that? The tooltip has always been saying +5% top speed, and yet when we were making test, it was proven that it means all speeds. Has anyone made any tests in 2.0 yet?

The reason it worked for all speeds was because of the effect of your optimal speed, so if your top speed is extended your cruising speed would likewise experience a small boost, but it doesn't actually improve the engine power or ability to go faster only expanding that limit on your top speed. Which is great if you're diving a lot and hitting that red speed limit or in a bomber that has a lot of distance to cover. I would rather take a skill that improves the strength of that boost so that I can turn off the boost or lower thrust and get it back faster to then go there sooner. In a lot of planes a higher cruising speed isn't going to get you there faster than more frequent use of boost. 

omglaserspewpew #18 Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 2097 battles

Not entirely true; it was a flat +5% to lowest speed, optimal speed, top speed - all speeds. Install Chinese 1.9 and make test yourself. :)

That's what made LF polish one of the best pieces of equipment; it just made you faster in all respects. Maybe it was a bug, because HF polish actually did exactly what the tooltip said: it only affected top speed and it did that without any effect on optimal speed.

EDIT: IIRC Zanov was the last to post his measurements not that long ago.

Edited by omglaserspewpew, 31 October 2017 - 02:02 PM.

eekeeboo #19 Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5021 battles

View Postomglaserspewpew, on 31 October 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Not entirely true; it was a flat +5% to lowest speed, optimal speed, top speed - all speeds. Install Chinese 1.9 and make test yourself. :)

That's what made LF polish one of the best pieces of equipment; it just made you faster in all respects. Maybe it was a bug, because HF polish actually did exactly what tooltip said: it only affected top speed and it did that without any effect on optimal speed.

Yes like i said that's your cruise speed, if you extend the terminal velocity of the plane, you then shift the average and top cruise speed of the plane, it does not actually make the engines more efficient or the plane itself any faster, only that values at which the plane will sit at or get to are different. The engine guru actually changes the values of the planes power and ability to thrust and go faster. 

What made lf polish OP was that it affected your ability to go faster all times, in particular dives allowing you to retain more speed for the climb back up and not need as much boost to reach your previous altitude. But that speed was only good for 1 or 2 passes, where your engine being able to climb better more frequently gave you a better edge. Hence the many hacking accusations I got for being able to chase people past what they expected in games and they would blame premium account or using premium consumables etc. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users