More diversity for Ground-Attack-Aircraft class

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Killtech #1 Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 3014 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

Four years on we just have two separate lines. that's not a lot of diversity to chose from - hardly enough to see it as a class in its own right. GAA now became a lot more viable since a good player strategically attacking bases can actually now carry a team in 2.0 and apart from the missing bombers there are the most underrepresented class (in terms of researchable planes). 

besides, now that ordinance on planes respawns quite a few planes that were impossible to fit into 1.9 gameplay model have now a chance to enter the game. i am mostly thinking of torpede bomber like planes that had relatively low gun armament yet could carry a significant payload. before 2.0 GAAs without powerful guns would have been unplayable (which is why the stuka doesn't carry bombs but gun pods) and US/UK torpedo bombers would be too weak to be implemented as multi-role fighters. now however they could be added as GAA and balanced with a relatively short ordinance respawn. 

So yeah, now is a good time to think of extending the class:

UK Fairey/Blackburn GAA proposal (topedo bomobers / strike fighters)

T2 - Fairey Swordfish

T3 - Fairey Albacore

T4 - Fairey Fulmar

T5 - Fairey Barracuda or Fairey Spearfish or Supermarine Type 322

T6 - Blackburn Firebrand Mk I/II or Fairey Firefly

T7 - Blackburn Firebrand Mk IV or Blackburn Firecrest or Hawker Sea Fury

T8 - Blackburn Firecrest or Westland Wyvern

T9 - Westland Wyvern? (its a turboprop not a piston engine, so okay for tier 9?)

TX - Blackburn Buccaneer original specification (with 30mm guns)?? or de Havilland Venom/Sea-Venom or  Hawker Siddeley P.1127

(note that the Swordfish and Wyvern were lately featured in a WoWs video about naval aviation)
yeah, the end of the line is still problematic and kind of a work in progress. Would prefer to restrict to Fairey/Blackburn designs but i can't find anything well fitting. I bet browsing the archives or asking someone knowledgeable on British aviation history could dig up something better. 

US - Douglas/Curtis GAA line proposal

T2 - Curtiss Falcon or Curtiss SBC Helldiver or Curtiss A-8 or Douglas TBD Devastator or  Northrop_BT )

T3 - Curtiss A-12 Shrike 

T4 - Brewster_SB2A_Buccaneer Northrop_N-3PB or Northrop_A-17 or Vultee_A-31_Vengeance or NorthAmerican A-27 )

T5 - Douglas SBD Dauntless or Grumman_TBF_Avenger)

T6 - Curtiss SB2C Helldiver or Douglas_BTD_Destroyer or Brewster_XA-32 or North_American_A-36_Apache )

T7 - Curtiss XSB3C or ( Kaiser-Fleetwings XBTK or Vultee_XA-41 )

T8 - Douglas A-1 Skyraider or Douglas XTB2D Skypirate or Martin AM Mauler )

T9 - Douglas A2D Skyshark

TX - Douglas A-4 Skyhawk or ( Northrop F-89 Scorpion )

i've collected all other remotely GAA-class matching aircraft i found while browsing and put them as reference for what would be also available.

---

Note that some of the planes listed here could be also characterized as multi-roles but in that case a US or UK GAA line is quite hard to imagine at all. They just did not operate that many Surmoviks. since the Hawker (Hurricane) branch is a straight forward multi-role planes i don't think the British need a second one. And US already has two multi role lines while there are still Grunman cats missing so they don't really need anything more for that class.

Edited by Killtech, 21 November 2017 - 02:52 PM.

Eviscerador #2 Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

DAKKA!!! DAKKA!!! DAKKA!!!

• Beta Tester
  • 2658 battles
  • [BU-LL] BU-LL

I like your suggestion. The main problem here is that aside from the Sturmhovik and the Stukas, there were few "dedicated" ground attack aircrafts.

Most of the ground attack roles were given to Thunderbolts, 190s and Typhoons.

Avengers and Dauntless weren't attack planes, they were light bombers, like the stuka without gunpods. I guess it could work with a small respawn timer on bombs, but that will make them defenceless against other GA planes or fighters, because their frontal armament was almost nil.

In fact, I see more point in introducing the machine gun A26 and B25 as a ground attackers than the Dauntlesses and Avengers.

We will see how they develop.

apietruszewski #3 Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1537 battles
You forgot the B 25 Mitchell in the dedicated Attacker version with 75mm AT gun.

Killtech #4 Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 3014 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

some time ago there was a discussion on US attackers for which i originally scrambled the US planes. the A26 and B25 are all listed there for a possible second GAA line of much heavier planes that resembled more the current German representatives of this class. you can find it here. i did not want to mix these planes with the torpedo bombers from this proposal because i'd prefer the planes of one line being somewhat consistent in their gameplay. Furthermore i wanted to keep the lines somewhat focused on a few manufacturer rather then patch them with planes from all over. lastly with the introduction of a bomber class i am currently unsure where the line will be drawn between them. i mean the A26 is now classified as a bomber which makes it unlikely to appear as a GAA as well since that would require two different setups of one plane having vastly different stats (like altitude performance). 

i know that Avengers, Dauntless and in fact quite a few other weren't dedicated ground attack aircraft. but in WoWp the definition of the class isn't that strict nor clearly defined. Instead i'd say it makes the most sense to classify them by where their gameplay fits best in and with the changes in update 2.0 a powerful gun armament isn't really needed for attackers anymore to fulfill their role. the two dive/torpedo bombers did not have a huge payload nor where they designed to bomb targets from a high altitude which makes them not fit the bomber class too well. but since they were designed for low altitude strikes on GT they match the current WoWp logic of GAA better. besides, they are somewhat similar in stats to most of the torpedo bombers proposed here. given a large health pool that all GAA currently have, relatively good maneuverability (for an attacker) and short ordinance reload compensating the weak guns would probably be sufficient to make them viable in that role whilst adding a unique new gameplay for the class. the two prior aspects would be enough to enable them to hold their ground against other GAA and even fighters.

and yeah, with this in mind we could also see a stuka variant being added with its main historic play style as a Sturzkampfbomber (dive bomber) it got its name from.

Edited by Killtech, 17 November 2017 - 11:41 PM.

apietruszewski #5 Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1537 battles
The Blenheim is in the game as an HF and B too. So that should not be a big problem for WG.

jakub_czyli_ja #6 Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 4072 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

There are planes for 2 US GAA line endings: http://forum.worldof...560#entry514560

Lower tiers aren't so interesting.

Killtech #7 Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 3014 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

since this fits quite well into the topic i might as well link it here:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users