Boom and Zoom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

eekeeboo #1 Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5026 battles

Hello Pilots! 

This thread is a place where I would like new players to be able to come and see: What is Boom and Zoom? How do you do it? How does it look?

First I'd like to steal a video made by a fellow forum member who I have flown with often demonstrate Boom and Zoom and how effective it can be: 

Now I would love it and prefer it if we could create guides (submitted here) That I can move to the beginners guide section that instructs players on how to do it, best way to do it, when it works and not. The level of detail and how you create this is your choice. But just think of the resource you would have wanted before you learned how to do it the hard way in WoWP. 

I also have a screenshot from the thread that will also illustrate ways to do it also: 

_Desper #2 Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 1795 battles

Good effort but few points to video.

- enemies was absolute newbies or bad players. It was like 3v3 humans anyway? Boring as hell, he basically only killed neutral planes. 

- you should show more challenging gameplay from tiers 10 and at least 10v10 humans. 

Anyway how can anyone play with 25-30 FPS? That's really painful to even watch.

Edited by _Desper, 01 August 2018 - 12:49 PM.

eekeeboo #3 Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5026 battles

View Post_Desper, on 01 August 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Good effort but few points to video.

- enemies was absolute newbies or bad players. It was like 3v3 humans anyway? Boring as hell, he basically only killed neutral planes. 

- you should show more challenging gameplay from tiers 10 and at least 10v10 humans. 

Anyway how can anyone play with 25-30 FPS? That's really painful to even watch.

The main point is that the video illustrates how it's done, how it works and how effective it can be if you do it properly. 

The idea of these guides aren't for experienced players for now, these are basic foundations players can build on. Things like energy retention and BnZ and TnB are completely alien concepts for those who haven't played a game like wowp before. 

NatteFrost #4 Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1436 battles

correct me if im wrong here, but aint BnZ very alpha dmg dependent, and have good abilitys to lead the shots to be a success?

i know there is a pilot skill that increases dmg done in a steep dive but that is a skill that takes some time to get.

eekeeboo #5 Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Community Manager

• WG Staff
  • 5026 battles

View PostNatteFrost, on 01 August 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

It's easier with high alpha and burst damage guns, but it's just as effective with other planes like the mustang. The biggest thing that dictates BnZ is your planes energy retention and recovery abilities, altitude performance and boost performance. 

The act of BnZ is to keep your energy, make the enemy waste theirs and you keep your relative safe distance from being shot at vs turning. You're able to pick your engagement better and you're able to stall out your enemy and make them a much easier target to hit. For planes like the FW 190 A1 the speed is what saves you because the rest of the plane is quite mediocre. 

ThinderChief #6 Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

Consider this: Altitude is your second engine.

Energy management is a must in air combat, so the use of altitude is part of the skill set any pilot should develop, I personally favor the high yoyo tactics whenever possible to recover lead to a target with a better turn rate or flying too slow for comfort and not loose too much energy.

Vertical yoyo also can be used as zoon climb solution to reach higher altitudes to get to bombers, where your aircraft doesn't necessarily like to fly naturally, I reached altitudes of well over 3000 in an F-94D to get to bombers, dive to recover energy and do it again to finish the target.

Flight envelops and characteristics in WoWP are funny at least but there is one thing devs kept more or less right, it's inertia, a heavy fighter or multirole will beneficiate from energy management, so not using it is a defect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users