mods skins camos textures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Senjougahara #1 Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2712 battles

Summary

I have used a deep convolutional neural network to upscale plane textures by a factor of 4 without quality loss, in most cases this results in a texture with dimensions of at least 4k pixels (sometimes up to 8k for larger planes).

The main benefit of this is for modders it's much easier to add small details onto the texture or changing colours etc.; and if you want to keep the files at reasonable levels you can downscale and most of the time achieve a better result than working on the smaller file from the start, even when going all the way back to vanilla texture sizes. The file sizes of the full textures are very large now so I highly recommend downscaling (you can downscale by 50% and still be twice the size vanilla to get a middle ground). I have included the alpha channel in files where it is used - there are some vanilla files with empty alpha channels so I've removed those to save file space (about 8MB per file).

That being said even if you're not a modder you can still use these files just as they are and see an improvement in detail, most noticeable is where camouflage changes colour (see attached screenshot, using full 4K texture file). Though given how large these files are there will probably be a significant impact on performance.

The new file sizes vary from about 8MB to 32MB per skin.

Use these files as you wish for yourself or in your mods, no need to ask permission or credit me if you are creating mods from these.

Progress

It takes a very long time to do this, so I can and prioritise remaining based on demand. I will edit this topic with updates as appropriate.

Of the planes in 2.0.8.0:

Germany - 100%

USSR - 0%

USA - 100%

Japan - 100%

UK - 100%

China - 100%

France - 100%

Download

In the interest of uploading/downloading faster I've used the maximum compression available on the zip, so it may take a while to unpack. The size for German the zip is 1.3GB compressed vs 6.3GB uncompressed.

All German plane textures in 4K

1.32GB Download

All USA plane textures in 4K

1.26GB Download

All UK plane textures in 4K

672MB Download

All Japan plane textures in 4K

517MB Download

All China plane textures in 4K

233MB Download

All France plane textures in 4K

96MB Download

Preview

Edited by Senjougahara, 08 November 2018 - 05:39 PM.

Furious_rus #2 Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:12 PM

Senior Airman

• 10 battles

Is it possible to make all of the textures to 4k resolution? I think it will be a huge advance in leveling quality of the game. 

What about performance if playing with such textures?

Senjougahara #3 Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2712 battles

View PostFurious_rus, on 08 September 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Is it possible to make all of the textures to 4k resolution? I think it will be a huge advance in leveling quality of the game. 

What about performance if playing with such textures?

I've played several battles with the 4K skins on my own plane and haven't had any issues or noticed any performance degradation, but I have a 980ti with 6GB of graphics memory so I don't think I'll have any problems with it even after I create 4K textures for all planes. Since battles are 12v12 there can only be at most 24 different plane textures loaded in a battle (plus whatever the ADA bots have so let's assume 30), and each plane will only have 1 skin loaded; so assuming a max of 32MB for a texture file it's only 960MB of raw textures you'll need to load at once beyond whatever the game already uses. If you've got 3 or 4GB of graphics memory it shouldn't be a problem, but if you're playing on a potato then I wouldn't recommend using these.

And while technically possible to make ALL textures 4K, I don't think it would be worth it because you can't add detail that isn't already there, it only creates a higher resolution of what you already have without quality loss. If you fly right above the ground and look at the ground textures you'll see how bad they are, they look like textures from the original DOOM. Upscaling that to 4K will only make them ugly in high resolution. Even buildings have pretty bad levels of detail so I don't think doing anything other than the planes will be worth it, as only planes have the level of detail to make this worthwhile.

Furious_rus #4 Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

Senior Airman

• 10 battles

View PostSenjougahara, on 09 September 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

I've played several battles with the 4K skins on my own plane and haven't had any issues or noticed any performance degradation, but I have a 980ti with 6GB of graphics memory so I don't think I'll have any problems with it even after I create 4K textures for all planes. Since battles are 12v12 there can only be at most 24 different plane textures loaded in a battle (plus whatever the ADA bots have so let's assume 30), and each plane will only have 1 skin loaded; so assuming a max of 32MB for a texture file it's only 960MB of raw textures you'll need to load at once beyond whatever the game already uses. If you've got 3 or 4GB of graphics memory it shouldn't be a problem, but if you're playing on a potato then I wouldn't recommend using these.

And while technically possible to make ALL textures 4K, I don't think it would be worth it because you can't add detail that isn't already there, it only creates a higher resolution of what you already have without quality loss. If you fly right above the ground and look at the ground textures you'll see how bad they are, they look like textures from the original DOOM. Upscaling that to 4K will only make them ugly in high resolution. Even buildings have pretty bad levels of detail so I don't think doing anything other than the planes will be worth it, as only planes have the level of detail to make this worthwhile.

Thank for the information. Hope always dies last. 

Senjougahara #5 Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2712 battles
Updated with USA planes

Senjougahara #6 Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2712 battles
Updated with UK planes

Senjougahara #7 Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Master Sergeant