Gloster P.228 - I'm in love

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

levlos #21 Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3793 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 11 July 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

So this line is worthwhile to keep grinding ??

I just researched the P.1056, but after the Mosquito and Hornet disappointments I'm not sure ... 

Hey Goner !

I found the Mosquito a bit bland after the uber-power of the widow-making Beaufighter, but I found the Hornet to be a beast. The four 20mm guns seem a bit indifferent on paper, but if you do not mount any ordnance and play it like a pure heavy fighter, the Hornet can out-climb even a Me-262 at the right altitude. I found it very pleasant to fly, quick to get into the fight, and quick to exit. Plus, nobody thinks you are a menace until you shot them twice and its almost too late :)
The P.1056 I struggled more with, because of the double calibre guns. I found it more flexible when with full 20mm guns. The 37mm guns kind of specialize you more towards the anti-bomber role, plus the odd heavy fighter that unwisely did not see you enter his immediate vicinity. Deflection shots and attacks on enemy fighters are more random now: a 37mm will cripple the target, but its quite a challenge to land that hit.

Plus, the performance gap between heavies and fighters tends to narrow in the upper tiers. Meaning, you cannot open the throttle anymore and climb at 80 degrees in your P.1056 and expect the fighter that you could not finish to simply stall behind you after 8 seconds of (his) boost. In the P.1056, after a failed boom and zoom on enemy P.010101010101  binary fighters, I found myself being tailed at 3500 meters and at full boost by my prey (probably using a boost module). Fiery demise follows switfly :)

So with the P.1056, you have to be much more cautious than with, say, the Hornet. Bombers you will eat up like no tomorrow: you can boost up from ground level to 3000 meters in less than 10 seconds and rip up that B-32 or Junkers before they even realize what fell upon them. Beware the enemy jets though.
I specialized the P.228 a couple of days ago, and now it turns in 13.8 seconds and rolls like a multi-role (120 degrees per second if I remember well). Flying is quite more pleasant with the light-engines and wing upgrade -its not a brick anymore. I can now take on any other heavy in the game easily (those poor Me.262 guys...) and the extra rolling and turning helps me better adjust tricky deflection shots. Bombers are vaporized within seconds before you even overheat (at medium ranges, that is, dispersion is still average). Against fighters, the ADEN guns are a pain: I have very little feedback from tracers to where the bullets are going, and deflection shots are pretty hard to land. I dont know why, but I have the impression that only a very small fraction of my bullets have tracers: its like firing an invisible laser. I am always a bit surprised when I hear the impact sound on a turning target. The rate of fire is very agerage, so that that P.010101010101 will often pass between your shots. Darn it.

Stay high, at about 3000-3500 meters, and choose your targets wisely, and the P.228 will love you back. Do not dive over an airbase full of red icons if you are not top tier. You will average about 7000-9000 points of damage every game easy.

I haven't reached the javelin yet. (it will be my 1st tier X aicraft, yay !!!!!)

Fly high and eat Fruits.

Levlos

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

GonerNL #22 Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9668 battles

View Postlevlos, on 08 October 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

the Hornet can out-climb even a Me-262 at the right altitude.

That's exactly my problem with the UK heavies ; max altitude is pathetic !

I might try the P.1056, it's not too expensive (I will miss the UK discounts because of vacation), but right now I'm busy with my Yak-30 and Mig-15bis, more my style ;-)

There are some lines I struggle with ; Yak-9, Fw-190/Ta-152, P-47 and UK heavies ...

zen_monk_ #23 Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8181 battles
  • [__] __

View Postlevlos, on 08 October 2019 - 08:28 AM, said:

Against fighters, the ADEN guns are a pain: I have very little feedback from tracers to where the bullets are going, and deflection shots are pretty hard to land. I dont know why, but I have the impression that only a very small fraction of my bullets have tracers: its like firing an invisible laser. I am always a bit surprised when I hear the impact sound on a turning target. The rate of fire is very agerage, so that that P.010101010101 will often pass between your shots. Darn it.

For this plane to be a monster, you must have this:

- Marksman 1 & 2 for the pilot

- Gyroscopic Sight to 478

- Gas-Operated Action guns to 478

...then it becomes Thor.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

dapprman #24 Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha Tester
  • 1736 battles
  • [YARRR] YARRR

View Postzen_monk_, on 07 October 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

I would very much like to hear your comments after you max it out. You will laugh at your sentence "...can't do the damage on a run..." This plane is guns, nasty hard hitting monstrous ADENs. A devastator in a single pass.

My rave is based on a maxed out, fully spec'd plane as illustrated in an OP pic, with a pilot with those skills. Meet those criteriums, make it as I did and showed to all,  and everything will be different.

I strongly suspect it'll be like the Mosquito and Hornet, when maxed I'll be a very happy chappy :)

zen_monk_ #25 Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8181 battles
  • [__] __

View Postdapprman, on 08 October 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

I strongly suspect it'll be like the Mosquito and Hornet, when maxed I'll be a very happy chappy :)

No.

It will be immensely better.

:teethhappy:

levlos #26 Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3793 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 08 October 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

For this plane to be a monster, you must have this:

- Marksman 1 & 2 for the pilot

- Gyroscopic Sight to 478

- Gas-Operated Action guns to 478

...then it becomes Thor.

Hey Goner,

I went for Engine Guru I & II instead of Marksman, aerodynamics expert and eagle-eyed (to be replaced when skill points increase): I value my speed more than my aim, to be honest. Not that it helps escaping a Me P.1010101010101 -it does not-, but it allows me to surprise unsuspecting targets across the map. We all know what happens when the 30mm shells meet someone who is not maneuvering to evade them, do we ? :) 

I was lucky that my sight module had +3 and +5 accuracy bonuses within its upgrades.

The modules I did not calibrate that fully, for I am not Croesus and millions of credits are needed to boost those modules to those values. I already spent 2 millions to have an well calibrated lightweight engine and wing, and I want to get that Javelin before 2022 !

Enjoy and Eat fruits,

Levlos

Edited by levlos, 09 October 2019 - 04:40 PM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

zen_monk_ #27 Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:08 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8181 battles
  • [__] __

View Postlevlos, on 09 October 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I went for Engine Guru I & II instead of Marksman, aerodynamics expert and eagle-eyed (to be replaced when skill points increase): I value my speed more than my aim, to be honest.

This plane is guns.

All else can be goodish but the guns, aiming and RoF must be high end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users