Buying your first premium plane, what you need to know?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

zen_monk_ #1 Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 5871 battles
  • [__] __

Besides being great for earning silver, premium planes have one maybe more important feature: they are fantastic crew trainers.

You can take any of your pilots and place him a new premium plane without any retraining as long as it's the same nation, and you can vastly speed up his learning.

So when deciding which premium plane to buy, it's best to be from your preferred nation at the moment. Send the new premium pilot to the Barrack, you'll use him for something else later on. Take your favorite pilot from your regular plane (he has to be 100% efficient on that plane), put him in a premium plane without retraining and let him learn new skills faster.

edit

And if you are too impatient to scroll down, here's an excellent message from Piq Mastika

View PostPiq_Mastika, on 29 January 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

There aren't many premiums, who are better than the tech tree mirror. Premiums are underpowered. RB is the only t8 bomber, that is making it special. The main purpose of premiums is money-making and crew training.

Edited by zen_monk_, 29 January 2019 - 01:22 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming

BravelyRanAway #2 Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 3218 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
Gunners from planes of the same nation can be used in premium fighters, bombers and attack aircraft, etc, that have a gunner crew spot, without retraining to skill them up quickly.

Edited by BravelyRanAway, 25 January 2019 - 10:34 AM.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

GonerNL #3 Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 7335 battles

A brand new premium just popped up : https://eu.wargaming...specials/12111/

Haven't seen that one before, was it already available ?

https://worldofwarpl...anes/usa/f-15c/

Edited by GonerNL, 25 January 2019 - 12:39 PM.

Piq_Mastika #4 Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4725 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostGonerNL, on 25 January 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

A brand new premium just popped up : https://eu.wargaming...specials/12111/

Haven't seen that one before, was it already available ?

https://worldofwarpl...anes/usa/f-15c/

The plane is not new itself, but it was unavailable  https://worldofwarplanes.eu/warplanes/usa/f-15c/

CheefCoach #5 Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 4935 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Yes it was, just geniuses from WG misnamed it as F15C instead of XF15C. 

When you but your first premium, buy one you will truly like. Forget everything else, because nothing else is important. If you give your money for fun, have fun. 

https://stats-sig.eu/wowp/CheefCoach/ussr/xs/en/sig.png

Timewarp76 #6 Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1133 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postzen_monk_, on 25 January 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Besides being great for earning silver, premium planes have one maybe more important feature: they are fantastic crew trainers.

You can take any of your pilots and place him a new premium plane without any retraining as long as it's the same nation, and you can vastly speed up his learning.

So when deciding which premium plane to buy, it's best to be from your preferred nation at the moment. Send the new premium pilot to the Barrack, you'll use him for something else later on. Take your favorite pilot from your regular plane (he has to be 100% efficient on that plane), put him in a premium plane without retraining and let him learn new skills faster.

....and to add to what Zen said. Do a bit of research before you spend any real money. There are more than a few reviews out there, either written or videoed that will offer some insight on what the plane is like. Some premium aircraft are just not that good when compared side by side to other aircraft either in the tech tree or against other premium aircraft. Plus lets be honest, if you are going to spend your hard earned cash, take a few minutes to get as much info as possible before you purchase.

A couple of planes that are always available in the shop and are my go to planes are the Tier 5 Boomerang and Tier 8 Seafang. As you can imagine; there are many more out there that people prefer but these are just the planes I would like to highlight. The way I look at it is, if I could only keep a couple of planes in my hanger, IMO these are the ones that treat me right on a consistent basis.
[BBMM] Beer Belly Master Mindz (recruiting) - English Speaking - Mature
If you are interested in having some fun and hanging out with a good crowd, look us up! Our primary  game language is English and we have members from all over the EU and even a few Americans living in Germany as well. We are typically online nightly around 2100 CET. Feel free to stop by and say hi, our voice server is Discord here is the link https://:  discord.gg/mezA43q

RoyalFlyingCorps #7 Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 13820 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
When you buy your premium, be aware WoWP may without compensation or an offer of a refund nerf it.  You’d be unlucky if this happens, but it happens.

Dis4ster #8 Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2390 battles

The best premium T8 is P-80A, it shreds everything to pieces in a few sec(even bombers and it can get up to get bombers), takes ages to overheat the guns and is fast enough to escape most turn fighters.

The worst is La-11, T8 light fighter, is slow, has the worst turn rate(not by much) out of all T8 turn fighters and crap guns, those 3x 23mm guns are worse than 20mm guns that you can find on T6 and T7(they overheat very fast as well, making it impossible to finish anything fast), they have to deal at least 140 damage per second(as the stock guns on Yak-15) to make it worth the money or to make it an actual T8 aircraft and not some lost T6 one. As it is right now it has worse everything than some T6 planes and is a lot worse than all T7 light fighters. Might be tempting to buy it because its the only T8 premium turn fighter, but save yourself from some frustration and don't buy it.

Edited by Dis4ster, 26 January 2019 - 08:48 PM.

houghtonbee #9 Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2722 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostDis4ster, on 26 January 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

The worst is La-11, T8 light fighter, is slow, has the worst turn rate(not by much) out of all T8 turn fighters and crap guns, those 3x 23mm guns are worse than 20mm guns that you can find on T6 and T7(they overheat very fast as well, making it impossible to finish anything fast), they have to deal at least 140 damage per second(as the stock guns on Yak-15) to make it worth the money or to make it an actual T8 aircraft and not some lost T6 one. As it is right now it has worse everything than some T6 planes and is a lot worse than all T7 light fighters. Might be tempting to buy it because its the only T8 premium turn fighter, but save yourself from some frustration and don't buy it.

I love my La-11 :) Although the guns do take some time (and pilot skill points) to master, they over heat far too quickly. She's been a great credit earner for me at least, but I wouldn't recommend it as a 'first' premium aircraft.

Dis4ster #10 Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2390 battles

View Posthoughtonbee, on 27 January 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

I love my La-11 :) Although the guns do take some time (and pilot skill points) to master, they over heat far too quickly. She's been a great credit earner for me at least, but I wouldn't recommend it as a 'first' premium aircraft.

Another reason to tell the players how long it takes for the guns to overheat, its clearly a balancing feature, which can make on paper good looking planes to the worst nightmares in the actual battle, you shouldn't need to buy the crap to find out that its crap.

Same goes to accuracy and shell traverse, for example XP-58 is one of the worst planes because it never hits the full 4 shot burst and the shells are so fking slow that something like a XF-90 would out run them or catch up to them if it had the same useless guns(would be awesome to damage yourself when shoting at full speed).

I think the devs gave those guns the characteristics of ground attack guns, which need lots of lead to hit a maneuvering aircraft even at close distance, idk if they did it on purpose or out of stupidity but people have to know that befor they buy them.

Nishi_Kinuyo #11 Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 735 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostTimewarp76, on 25 January 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

....and to add to what Zen said. Do a bit of research before you spend any real money. There are more than a few reviews out there, either written or videoed that will offer some insight on what the plane is like. Some premium aircraft are just not that good when compared side by side to other aircraft either in the tech tree or against other premium aircraft. Plus lets be honest, if you are going to spend your hard earned cash, take a few minutes to get as much info as possible before you purchase.

A couple of planes that are always available in the shop and are my go to planes are the Tier 5 Boomerang and Tier 8 Seafang. As you can imagine; there are many more out there that people prefer but these are just the planes I would like to highlight. The way I look at it is, if I could only keep a couple of planes in my hanger, IMO these are the ones that treat me right on a consistent basis.

To add to that:

There's a few planes out there that superficially look similar to a techtree plane, but might have widely different gun charactaristics meaning it takes a while to get used to them.

For example, the A6M3 Experimental and the A6M2 look quite similar. But the M3's 30mm cannons behave quite differently from the M2's 20mms.

klbergmen #12 Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4877 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

View PostDis4ster, on 26 January 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

The best premium T8 is P-80A, it shreds everything to pieces in a few sec(even bombers and it can get up to get bombers), takes ages to overheat the guns and is fast enough to escape most turn fighters.

The P-80 and the RB-17 are the only T8 premium planes I would recommend as first T8 premium. They are good, easy to fly and you know what you will get. All the other T8 premiums are too much special on one way or the other. I don't say they are bad but they require a special kind of handling which is often not that obvious and easy to handle.

Maybe also the Seafang but I always loose with it.

edit: The problem with reviews is that most of them became obsolete with introduction of specialization. I don't know even one youtuber that is still providing good reviews for WoWP.

Edited by klbergmen, 28 January 2019 - 04:08 PM.

Isoruku_Yamamoto #13 Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2206 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
For tier 6 and lower: buy them on discounts!

They happen often enough to wait for them :)

Renwor #14 Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 1907 battles

Considering the OP the question worth answering would be: should your first premium be a tier VIII ?  

Honestly, I don't know.

I have only Seafang at that tier and it was best buy ever (for tokens though) I love it, it carried me through so many dailies at the time I had no other tier VIII ... so if you can stomach the price tag, I can recomend it. Guns are a bit tricky, but its the same for most 4x20mm setups.

Lower tier premiums have good use for dailies, when your advance through tech trees gets you at tier VIII+, so I would not say they are wasted money. 

My LBSh (tier IV GAA) is really useful for low tier dailies now and it can use my IL-40 Pechorin brothers crew on steroids.

RoyalFlyingCorps #15 Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 13820 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

View Postklbergmen, on 28 January 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

The P-80 and the RB-17 are the only T8 premium planes I would recommend as first T8 premium. 

I can’t say I agree with the recommendation about the P-80.  It hinges on whether you can handle Mustang-style weaponry, which a lot of people dislike.  However, if MGs and long kill times don’t bother you, the P-80 is a sound choice.  Personally, I prefer a JL-1A-37 Shenyang, but again mixed armament is not to everybody’s taste.

The RB-17 is nowhere near as good as it used to be, being a premium that was nerfed (see my warning above).  Still, it can be fun especially if you have a good tail gunner.  Would I recommend it as a first choice?  Mmm, probably not, but then my first choice would be a Seafang and in most respects that is a pretty average aircraft.

Piq_Mastika #16 Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4725 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 29 January 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

that is a pretty average aircraft.

There aren't many premiums, who are better than the tech tree mirror. Premiums are underpowered. RB is the only t8 bomber, that is making it special. The main purpose of premiums is money-making and crew training.

RoyalFlyingCorps #17 Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 13820 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Well, of course the Seafang didn't have a regular counterpart until very recently.  However, now the Tempest is in the game I am left wondering why I would fly the Seafang.  I'm not really interested in crew training and I'm not short of money.

Grison_SE #18 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1224 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Well, I finally got myself a Seafang, still getting familiar to the caracteristics, I think I will like it when I learn how to fire shorter bursts with the quickly overheating cannons. Tried it out again just once , today before leaving for work, "Oh no not a T8/T9 battle, I will get my b*tt kicked again". But came out as #1 with almost 300k.
Please have patience with my spelling/language. English is not my native tounge.

Grison_SE #19 Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1224 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostGrison_SE, on 30 January 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

Well, I finally got myself a Seafang, still getting familiar to the caracteristics, I think I will like it when I learn how to fire shorter bursts with the quickly overheating cannons. Tried it out again just once , today before leaving for work, "Oh no not a T8/T9 battle, I will get my b*tt kicked again". But came out as #1 with almost 300k.

Trained a pilot in the Seafang, put him in the Hurricane and got a pretty descent result, too bad my team lost anyway.Hurricane
Please have patience with my spelling/language. English is not my native tounge.

Piq_Mastika #20 Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4725 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostGrison_SE, on 30 January 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Good job - 300k and 3 tokens. This shows one should never give up, even if the game is lost from the beginning.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users