• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

WarHawk_2014 #41 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4789 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postapartclassic, on 04 May 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

If it be Aesopian and epic, the hero must fight. The antihero must be slain. Princess Unvisiebl, the evul seductress, must be chastised - pun intended - and her Yak deserves a good roast. I suspect the moral dimension lies within the choice of the method - will it be a foredoomed and fatal low altitude turnfight, or will the hero draw from his knowledge of every tactic in game agains every different kind model airplanes and try a novel approach. Let us not forget the magick is there too, with random damage or non-registered hits; the hero is battling not only himself and his own fallacies, but it's a battle with elements and things he can not control and influence. Was it a Jacksonesuqe battle, there would be thunder and storm, and there would be giant spiderz (!), and possibly, just possibly, a dragon! I would also like to learn a little more about the secondary characters, we know there are other people involved there. Is anyone helping our hero? Is the cabal of chikkens united, or is there an internal power struggle there, influencing the final outcome? Deeper characterization of them will add to our knowledge of the protagonist and the ordeal he is/was facing. Truly I say to thee, a menagerie of fantastic creatures enriched the story immensely. Chikken, yak, a zen monk, a unicorn and possibly, just possibly, a dragon - all immersed in an arctic storm while battling an unvisiebl sniper for survival! Lights, camera, action!

All you needed was drop a Hawk in there, somewhere, and it would be perfect. Perr Fect. :)

GonerNL #42 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9655 battles

Well, who knows ... he might surprise us.

Frodo and Sam didn't look very heroic, but look what happened !! Mind you, they didn't have to fight chikkens ...

zen_monk_ #43 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

While we're at it, I've just noticed a thing that might be an important clue, displayed with a detail in this sentence:

View Postairfight10, on 03 May 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

again so a noop with stupid comment ignorant brain you know nothing u noop ım 1.9 ex player with good xp

I've been with the game from Alpha to ~1.5-1.6 when I left, and came back only at 2.0 so I have no experience with 1.9 at all. People say it was good, great... and it was abruptly and strangely terminated. Why?

Could it be there were some flashing images, color patterns, visual tricks in there that - in susceptible minds, of course - induce Dunning-Kruger, reduce literacy and increase profanity? It just might be WG found it and instead of posting a warning, you know, like at a start of a movie "Warning: Flashing images might induce..." they decided to terminate it tor good, thus avoiding possible law suits and all?

Almost all of you came out unharmed, but some display severe cases of permanent damage.

In any case, OP please keep on posting. You brought us immense joy, inspired us to be more men and slay all fearful chikkens. Thank you.

Edited by zen_monk_, 04 May 2019 - 10:19 AM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

BravelyRanAway #44 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4061 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 May 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

inspired us to be more men and slay all fearful chikkens. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

zen_monk_ #45 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __
Chikken, yak, a zen monk, a unicorn and possibly, just possibly, a dragon enter a bar...

apartclassic #46 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 20469 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E

View PostWarHawk_2014, on 04 May 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

All you needed was drop a Hawk in there, somewhere, and it would be perfect. Perr Fect. :)

Oh by all means, I can even make it purrfect, being partial to cats. Because, mind you, it's all magick there - the unvisiebl Yaks, being the representation of chikkens, certainly act like vultures while swarming all over our protagonist. If only our unlikely hero, the Everyman, acted less like a turner - a TnB - and more like a hawk, swooping in from above, striking with deadly precision, I would be less dubious about the outcome of the battle... Picture this: the chikken are all squabbling low on the deck, pecking at things chikken usually peck at, and suddenly from up high comes the ultimate ugradet hawk - or Hawk - and surprises the chikken, with devastating effect. Before the snaky Yak knows what's afoot, the hawk is out of the fray, again soaring high, about to strike yet again and again, thus winning the day. Doesn't that seem to be a good solution to the problem our hero is facing?

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

zen_monk_ #47 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

Too easy. Where's a moral dilemma if he plays to his strengths from the start? The true hero must accept the adverse conditions (turn fight over a base) and somehow came out a winner.

It might be a case of noble sacrifice with a cunning purpose: while his ultimate ugradet Bf keep sneaky snake sniper jaks occupied, his GAA and bombers capture other castles. After all, he clearly said he went there three times in a row only to be killed by one dastardly feared chikken with his cronies again and again. So the hero kept the bad guys away from his mates.

Emtod #48 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:49 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4287 battles
  • [FEED] FEED

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 04 May 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

epic!

apartclassic #49 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 20469 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E
That is the very recipe for sacrifice, except - it's not. True hero would not complain about his sacrifice. Thus the story gets subverted. We either have an anti-epics, or the protagonist is in fact anti-hero. True epic sacrifice would go without notice, so to speak, just as Sam's. Sam doesn't complain about hardship, he goes on. Even when unjustly accused by Gollum and rejected by Frodo, the hero, Sam just carries on (and wins against snaky spiderz!). Therefore it follows that we are facing one of the following. Either this is an anti-heroic story, in which the protagonist fails (alas, he can not, knowing every tactic in game agains every different kind model airplanes,more better then you and not being a kid) or herein lies the dilemma that he is yet to face. To complain or not to complain, that is the question. To suffer for millions in silence, thrice dying to petty dastardly chikken and unvisibiel Yaks but eventually carrying the day thanks to other strongholds being captured by other 'good guys', or to cry out loud about the injustice requiring the hero to sacrifice. Does sound very moral when put that way, doesn't it? To act properly - and the choices unfold, from not returning to the killing field three times, each time yielding the same fatal result, to not complain about the painful yet necessary sacrifice - or improperly (or, dare I say, unproprly), turning with the squabbling creatures of the night, all the time yelling 'Stop that!' and 'Hjalp!!!1' ?

Edited by apartclassic, 04 May 2019 - 10:59 AM.

zen_monk_ #50 Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

Although he did start his post with ım realy disapointet and,angry also extrem resignatet he explained that ım come here to whrite my comment,it was realy realy abnormal... so this might not be a complaint post but a cautionary one.

You're right, a true hero doesn't complain nor brags about his sacrifice. But the OP never explained it as a heroic sacrifice, we've deduced it from his description of the battle. So the heroic mantle is still on. What troubles me is the start of the post - maybe he's angry he haven't done more? It is eligible for a hero to be resignatet with that.

I guess we're at the fork of the narrative and must wait for OP to give us more insight.

arcticstorm123 #51 Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 5224 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostGonerNL, on 04 May 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

Well, who knows ... he might surprise us.

Frodo and Sam didn't look very heroic, but look what happened !! Mind you, they didn't have to fight chikkens ...

Well Frodo pretty much succumbed to the rings power, all Sam could do was stand there shouting 'No', Gollum's the real hero if you ask me, all that single mindedness, sacrifice and determination in getting his stolen property back from nasty Hobbits's

Edited by arcticstorm123, 04 May 2019 - 11:16 AM.

apartclassic #52 Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 20469 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 May 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

Although he did start his post with ım realy disapointet and,angry also extrem resignatet he explained that ım come here to whrite my comment,it was realy realy abnormal... so this might not be a complaint post but a cautionary one.

You're right, a true hero doesn't complain nor brags about his sacrifice. But the OP never explained it as a heroic sacrifice, we've deduced it from his description of the battle. So the heroic mantle is still on. What troubles me is the start of the post - maybe he's angry he haven't done more? It is eligible for a hero to be resignatet with that.

I guess we're at the fork of the narrative and must wait for OP to give us more insight.

Oh c'mon, since when lack of the story prevents a good analysis?

You're making another very good point here. If it is a cautionary tale, it still is elligible for 'true epics' title. Consider Gilgamesh - he is telling a story of his failure, after all the snake (a-ha, here's a point of convergence with the OP!) did steal the immortality herb. Yet there is no doubt he - Gilgamesh, not the snake - emerged morally victorious, and is warning the listener not to make the same mistake. We might be witnessing another twist in this thread then, one in which the OP is relating a failure, ostensibly not admitting his own faults, but eventually presenting the lesson that was learned. I will keep my eyes opened in case this outcome is revealed. Till then however I'm inclined to stick with the (already) canonical interpretation of the drama we are observing. For drama it surely is, and the only thing it's missing is the drama queen. Or is it? Is there really a drama queen not present? What say you?

zen_monk_ #53 Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

Hmmm... maybe the outcome will not be so flattering for us.

We have an OP Drama King. All his royal attributes are present - ı play wery well ... ultimate ugradet... ı know every tactic in game agains every different kind model airplanes - so the narrative must be viewed having this in mind. After all, he's 1.9 ex player with good xp and that would cement his position on a throne. He goes on to share his cautionary tale with us, clearly stating from beginn ı knew ,this  game match we can never wonn. So in a heroic (well, quite normal for a player of his caliber) endeavor he goes on to face those invisible Jacks and whatnot, although being certain from the start the battle is lost.

If we are to look for the Drama Queens, it's us. We acted like chikkens, pointing out the turn rate of Yak vs 109 and all this irrelevant stuff, when all that matters is a heroic of the main protagonist.

After all, there's a chilling detail we all overlooked so far: he ends his original narrative with a big one:

View Postairfight10, on 03 May 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

we are just ships brainless    

It gave me the shivers when I've noticed it. So sublime, yet so deep message that transcends this trivial game and all of us minions acting as he was merely describing a match.

Wow...

WarHawk_2014 #54 Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4789 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 May 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

We have an OP Drama King. All his royal attributes are present - ı play wery well ... ultimate ugradet... ı know every tactic in game agains every different kind model airplanes - so the narrative must be viewed having this in mind. After all, he's 1.9 ex player with good xp and that would cement his position on a throne. 

Yeah, he just "forgot" to mention that he was just 51% winrate in 1.9 (and thats medium level at best) and with at least one third of his battles at tier 1 (!)...  Details, good sir, details.

zen_monk_ #55 Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

Trivial, my friend. What does 51% means when you knowingly go to invisible serpents lair to turnfight a Yak in a 109 not once, not twice, but trice! Heroics my good man, heroics - there's no rate for that. After all, we are just ships brainless ...

This is how religions are born.

apartclassic #56 Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 20469 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 May 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

Hmmm... maybe the outcome will not be so flattering for us.

We have an OP Drama King. All his royal attributes are present - ı play wery well ... ultimate ugradet... ı know every tactic in game agains every different kind model airplanes - so the narrative must be viewed having this in mind. After all, he's 1.9 ex player with good xp and that would cement his position on a throne. He goes on to share his cautionary tale with us, clearly stating from beginn ı knew ,this  game match we can never wonn. So in a heroic (well, quite normal for a player of his caliber) endeavor he goes on to face those invisible Jacks and whatnot, although being certain from the start the battle is lost.

If we are to look for the Drama Queens, it's us. We acted like chikkens, pointing out the turn rate of Yak vs 109 and all this irrelevant stuff, when all that matters is a heroic of the main protagonist.

After all, there's a chilling detail we all overlooked so far: he ends his original narrative with a big one:

It gave me the shivers when I've noticed it. So sublime, yet so deep message that transcends this trivial game and all of us minions acting as he was merely describing a match.

Wow...

And yet another good point, I congratulate you. We are but brainless ships floating on the ocean of our ignorance. The Drama King (I take it Gilgamesh parallel was right on the spot) does indeed know the fight is foredoomed, the outcome is never in doubt, the deed will be bloody and cruel - yet he does go on to fight, he does mount a fight against the fates. It is not only an epic, not only a drama, but a classical tragedy as well. He, the King, knows - you can wonn or lost the game, never mind how good your are as pilot. Our - the listeners - hubris is clear, we are sinning by our pride, by our staunch refusal to acknowledge the inevitability of the preordained struggle and fated loss (not to mention the symbolical triple death and renewal - sorry, meant to say respawn - cycle). We are the tragic fools on this stage, not the 1.9 old king. The chikken and sneaky snaky Yak are just the tools, magical implements, meant to show us our own folly. It is us turnfighting at low altitude, immersed in baseness of our acts wery close to bottom, that are exposed by the hero. Moreover, the magical menagerie so skillfully employed by the storyteller has to be enhanced by ship brainless - provided the scribe truthfully noted the intended beast. Yet there is still a lingering doubt as to the inevitability of loss and king's sacrifice. I still ask myself that fundamental question - what if ultimate ugradet King chose a different path? What if he was a hawk, what if he rose above the temptation of a lowly airfield brawl? What if the chikken are in fact pre-hawks, young usurpers to the throne, a cabal of illegitimate (undoubtedly) or alleged spawn of Unvisibiel, hellbent on wresting the sceptre from the aging but still powerful King? What if we, the listeners, too proud for our own good, are in fact helping the chikken to sneaky snipe at the King? Are we guilty too? Do we have royal blood on our hands? And if so, when is the Birnam Wood going to march? That, sir, is a tale masterly told, as it becomes clear with each layer that we unveil - please do go on!

Edited by apartclassic, 04 May 2019 - 01:35 PM.

Aimless #57 Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2677 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
If I may, this forum and its members are so much better than the tonkers' one, kudos! :D

zen_monk_ #58 Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8151 battles
  • [__] __

Invisibel, sneaky, unseen is much present in his narrative. Obviously familiar combat tactics of his. He also admitted he upgraded his 109 to insane levels. Now if you combine those two facts, then when you ask...

View Postapartclassic, on 04 May 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

I still ask myself that fundamental question - what if ultimate ugradet King chose a different path? What if he was a hawk, what if he rose above the temptation of a lowly airfield brawl?

...I guess he can transcend the mere single battle in his allmighty invisibel 109 and jump from battle to battle, spraying unsuspected chikken. Have you ever experienced a sudden hit out of the blue, without any enemy or base nearby? That might be him, skimming through all the battles on the server at that time.

And in the meantime, the OP edited his first post, deleted the sentence where he described going three times on a same base, three spawns in a row turnfighting the same Yak who killed him every time. I guess he did it out of modesty, felt like he was bragging too much with his heroism. But he added more deep stuff - obviously pleased with the interest we've shown, decided to share more deep Neoisms.

airfight10, on 03 May 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

...not we  control the game performance and the  end results ,the sythem have control over everything ,he is the  bigboss and the gott ...

we are just ships brainless   

I'm telling you, we are rearranging crumbs to no avail, although the outlines of the full picture slowly emerge. We need a new solid narrative from the OP so at the end we might see the light.

apartclassic #59 Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 20469 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 May 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Invisibel, sneaky, unseen is much present in his narrative. Obviously familiar combat tactics of his. He also admitted he upgraded his 109 to insane levels. Now if you combine those two facts, then when you ask...

...I guess he can transcend the mere single battle in his allmighty invisibel 109 and jump from battle to battle, spraying unsuspected chikken. Have you ever experienced a sudden hit out of the blue, without any enemy or base nearby? That might be him, skimming through all the battles on the server at that time.

And in the meantime, the OP edited his first post, deleted the sentence where he described going three times on a same base, three spawns in a row turnfighting the same Yak who killed him every time. I guess he did it out of modesty, felt like he was bragging too much with his heroism. But he added more deep stuff - obviously pleased with the interest we've shown, decided to share more deep Neoisms.

I'm telling you, we are rearranging crumbs to no avail, although the outlines of the full picture slowly emerge. We need a new solid narrative from the OP so at the end we might see the light.

Excellent point. Sneakiness, invisibielity and unseen-ity as prerogatives of a King, now that is a novel concept. It definitely deepens the character, breaching away from your regular run of the mill good ol' king. More in the Norse style, a Loki-sh style if you like, of cunning yet positive royalty. Also, gott would suggest Germanic, not Greek or Babylonian, origins of the original text. Classical, yet not Mediterranean or Middle Eastern - that would fit. The abundance of magic, like the unexpected hits out of the blue (how proper, kudos to you), not to mention the protagonist's avatar itself - Bf-109E, how more Teutonic can you get? - seems to support this avenue of thinking. The clash with the Eastern barbarians - Yaks, you know - takes on a deeper meaning as well. How can a King, a true Koenig, shy away from such a struggle as the one described in the now-lost original narrative? How can He NOT turnfight over an airfield, even with the knowledge of eventual defeat already in Him? Moreover - if he is indeed skimming over all the airfields on the server, unvisiebl yet present, is he not truly the Everyman, the Everking, protecting us from the chikken horror by his everlasting vigil and sacrifice? Incidentally yet, to misquote you on purpose - what if the King of All Airfield Brawls, if I may, "jumps from battle to battle" spaying unsuspecting/unsuspected chikken for all of us? So that no feared chikken will ever snipe at us again, simply for the lack of progeniture? How is that for the ultimate sacrifice? To be forever doomed to losing while depriving chikken of posterity?

I am dissapointed by the alterations to the original, I liked the trinity of defeat/renewal. In that case I am of the opinion that modesty should remain secondary to the narrative qualities of the text. Triple reiteration of the situation, even if it varies little, serves literary purpose. By arranging the narrative in this way the storyteller engages his audience deeper and is also able to conceal his intentions better. The cautionary tale would be told more better then you or I could ever attempt to. Truly, we are in a sorry need of a fixed version, a solid narrative. Put modesty aside, says I, for we need the real story to shine on our waning days.

RoyalFlyingCorps #60 Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15290 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Let life be short; else shame will be too long
Exit: pursued by a feared chicken

Also tagged with dogfight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users