Horten Ho 229

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

apartclassic #21 Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 23905 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC
Both Horten and 262 were supposed to use BMW003 engines, but as they were not available, both planes used YuMo004. Not much of a difference in terms of performance (YuMo was slightly more powerful at the cost of lower reliability and shorter 'life-expectancy'). As for the rockets, the Horten's airfoil simply didn't have room for it - either racks (as on 262) or concealed in the engines' nacelles (like the BV), they would have hugely impacted the performance of both the engines and the airfoil itself.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

https://i.imgur.com/SdxyYWh.jpg

jakub_czyli_ja #22 Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 6119 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

View Postadydeady8, on 04 April 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

I think this plane could carry easy 24-56 R4M rockets, is a shame he has the same engine like Me 262 

To make it more OP?

atlasapl #23 Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3285 battles
I wanted this plane as soon as it became available. But as the Ta-152 drove me to despare because of the way the guns work, it put me off buying it.

zen_monk_ #24 Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9878 battles
  • [__] __

I bought it the minute it came in the shop but don't have the patience to learn those guns. There are people here who make insane results... I am not one of them.

Atlasapl, let's have a beer and trash those guns.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

apartclassic #25 Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 23905 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

Sad thing there is one preserved Horten, at Smithsonian's. In a cellar. Behind locked doors. Getting rustier by the minute. Not on display, probably not for a long time to come. Similarly, there is an Me209 V4 in Kraków/Cracow rusting in a museum hangar. I can't remember if the engine was there, certainly it was not mounted on the fuselage - but the airfoil is there. There were two surviving Ta-152 after the war, but one was simply scrapped if I remember correctly - the other one is, as you might have guessed, expecting a restoration in Suitland, Maryland (fun fact of the day - Ta-152 operational ceiling was roughly 13000m/42000ft, where it was both faster and more agile than anything that could climb that high, allied jets included).

As to Horten in WoWP, let me just point you out to one thing - 'effective fire range 949m', with max up to 1187m. That's without barrels. On a t8 high-altitude jet. You get the point? :)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

https://i.imgur.com/SdxyYWh.jpg

atlasapl #26 Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3285 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 06 April 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Sad thing there is one preserved Horten, at Smithsonian's. In a cellar. Behind locked doors. Getting rustier by the minute. Not on display, probably not for a long time to come. Similarly, there is an Me209 V4 in Kraków/Cracow rusting in a museum hangar. I can't remember if the engine was there, certainly it was not mounted on the fuselage - but the airfoil is there. There were two surviving Ta-152 after the war, but one was simply scrapped if I remember correctly - the other one is, as you might have guessed, expecting a restoration in Suitland, Maryland (fun fact of the day - Ta-152 operational ceiling was roughly 13000m/42000ft, where it was both faster and more agile than anything that could climb that high, allied jets included).

As to Horten in WoWP, let me just point you out to one thing - 'effective fire range 949m', with max up to 1187m. That's without barrels. On a t8 high-altitude jet. You get the point? :)

Oh i get the point. But i am old. Hitting anything at that range with single shot cannons is like me trying to understand rap. Not gonna happen.

adydeady8 #27 Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:41 PM

Airman Basic

• 2329 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 04 April 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

Both Horten and 262 were supposed to use BMW003 engines, but as they were not available, both planes used YuMo004. Not much of a difference in terms of performance (YuMo was slightly more powerful at the cost of lower reliability and shorter 'life-expectancy'). As for the rockets, the Horten's airfoil simply didn't have room for it - either racks (as on 262) or concealed in the engines' nacelles (like the BV), they would have hugely impacted the performance of both the engines and the airfoil itself.

don't know about that he was a prototype after all who hardly meet the 3x1000 requirement and if he can carry a 1000 kg payload bombs.it would have been easy to him to carry more guns in a interceptor version  ,and he never went to the sky in mass number to have the chance to evolve with plenty room for improvements like other aircrafts from the same era .and in the game is in raw and most simple configuration who I don't think it's fair to add a plane like this in the game , too bad he never enter mass production to see it.

Frateras #28 Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10250 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
I'm glad that I start to learn fighting with 4 30 mm guns on the Me 262 but I'm still unable to do so with 3 in the Ta-152. I've always got the impression the enemy plane slips between the single bullets when I'm in a dogfight. Shooting down frim big distance worked when I'm able to meet the target with a few quick shots at once. If not, good bye. That's a big tactical disadvantage in this game. So that's why I don't buy the Horton with just two 30 mm guns. It's beautiful and when I see one I hunt it across the battle field to shoot it down with my TL 109 with 2 30 mm and 2 20 mm guns.  I mean that's a factor; everybody wants to kill a Horton. :playing:

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

Frateras #29 Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10250 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

View Postapartclassic, on 06 April 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

You can fly far above all action on the battlefield but when you come down, a spitfire will kill you easily? 

Edited by Frateras, 16 April 2020 - 07:44 PM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users