What to cap when to cap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Discontinued #1 Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1985 battles

So I thought i'd offer a little advice to the new guys and gals 

I started out as a 43% guy in this game and have gradually got better. As an oldie my reactions are not great but my tactics make up for that.

On a 3 cap battle I often see newer players going to cap the center flag when there are either two missile bases either side or two radar stations. Capping the center will lead to defeat, as the missile bases or bomber flights will capture the center flag anyway for the team who possess either.

If both teams have control of a missile base each then you have to consider whether capping the center will lead to defeat

The artistry I created below explains it all!

Simply leave the center alone and capture those missile/radar bases. once capped defend missile or radar bases in a fighter or even better a heavy and wait for those enemy bombers,and GAA planes. You will win if you do this.

Edited by Discontinued, 03 September 2019 - 10:21 AM.

"May cause the explode problem"

apartclassic #2 Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 20468 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E

Another point is that what one might have learned at low tiers (capping airfield = win) does not necessarily apply on mid/high tier. True, you will get a spawn point closer to action - but: a) there's no longer spawn time reduction when possesing an airbase (there's a respawn timer for group respawn, none of the airfields influences that), and b) many players consider this an ultimate prize, thus leading to a lot of deaths while fighting over one, while other players/bots easily cap everything around. In a battle against pure bots team capping central airfield is advantageous, as the red bots will keep trying to cap it (and not do anything else, giving you nice free frags); when there are humans on the other team, situation changes (unless everyone on both teams goes for the airfield, which is typical for the situation Disco described above).

Don't automatically choose an airbase or central sector as your primary target. Both bots and players have different priorities and will move on to other sectors regardless of airfield possesion. Keep your eyes opened, look at your minimap to see the current flow of the battle, be flexible.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Discontinued #3 Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1985 battles

It is basic stuff but it will help a lot of new guys i hope 

Oh another tip. similar to WOT press TAB every few seconds almost like you would look in the mirror if driving a car.

Press ALT at the same time and you can see the types of planes around the map and acct accordingly.

Remember to go to settings and turn off windows key and alt tab otherwise you'll come out of the game...

I would also advise in one game just watch the map and see the flow of the battle. 

I'd say in IMHO this is order of priority for taking bases.

Missile base

Radar base

Mining plant 

Airfield 

Garrison

But sometimes, you have to just adapt depending on the battle situation, it maybe best to cap nearest, or try and catch the enemy by surprise and race across the map to a cap near their spawn, or avoid the centre and go around the edge of the map. After a while you will get a feel of what caps to prioritise

I'm still learning here but I hope it can be of some help to new guys

:honoring:

Edited by Discontinued, 03 September 2019 - 08:06 PM.

apartclassic #4 Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:09 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 20468 battles
  • [W_R_E] W_R_E
I just remembered the most basic tip in current WoWP - the game is NOT about frags, it's about capturing sectors. Killing enemy/neutral planes is one of the means to achieve that (or defend sectors you already capped), but not the only one. Many new players think it's all about shooting other planes. To some extent it is, if you want casual fun. If you want consistent winning, or at least winning more than half of the time, think of all the map. Number of frags alone does not guarantee success in this game, nor does highest score in battle. That sort of thinking transition from 'killing' to 'caps' needs to be at the back of your head no later than tier 4, because the higher you go, the more experienced people you will meet. They will outperform you in duels, and will outcap you in your battles. Tactics is fine, strategy is better.

Edited by apartclassic, 04 September 2019 - 12:25 AM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Discontinued #5 Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1985 battles

Well said appart,

I can think of a perfect example.

Yesterday a well known player (sealcubber) in his tier 4 Bf110 heavy. I was in a tier 3 and every time I encountered him he tore me to pieces. Clearly I could not beat this guy in my tier 3, so rather than getting frustrated, I simply worked my way around and capped all the bases on the edge of the map. He had the airstrip but we had 4 other bases at the time!

He scored 17 k pp, I scored 4k pp and guess who won, me :D

His tactics let him down, he just went to the center and was boom and zooming our fighters rather than capping, or taking out bombers yes he got an great score, but his team lost.

Next game he was on my team and did the same tactic of going to the center. Then he started calling us all noobs saying "no support, no support", at the end of the battle he capped 1 base I capped 4 and we won, he got 13k pp I got 7k pp but I came top of the leader board because I had all those nice stripes :)

Appartclassic is right; its not about kills it about capturing bases..

Edited by Discontinued, 04 September 2019 - 08:43 AM.

paradigmshift #6 Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

If you have a choice of missile base or factory near your spawn point then take the missile base first and then the factory. Once you cap the factory defend it for 5-6 minutes and you will probably win as the extra 80pts every 2 minutes add up fast. If there are two factories get them both if you can, but get at least one as quickly as possible defend it and frustrate the opposition in getting the other. I have noticed opposition bot bombers are going for the furthest factory from their spawn point so always kill the bombers first and then the GAA, and heavies chasing your bombers (if you are not in one).

Also note that when flying a bomber once the squall line starts opposition heavy bots will come straight at you no matter where you fly, usually both at the same time.

Dont forget you can kill HF when flying bombers, either by ramming or running (if you have good rear guns) or get on their tail and wear them down.

Lastly, if you are winning and are near the end with a good lead and only 1-2 planes left then as long as opposition has few GAA or bombers left you can run, just dont get killed for another 100 hit point and loose the game. 

GonerNL #7 Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9553 battles

View Postparadigmshift, on 05 September 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Lastly, if you are winning and are near the end with a good lead and only 1-2 planes left then as long as opposition has few GAA or bombers left you can run, just dont get killed for another 100 hit point and loose the game. 

That is so frustrating !!

You're comfortably in the lead and winning, watching how the last surviving bot/human on your team does a kamikaze over an enemy base or something in stead of staying away from any enemy presence !!

On the other hand, it's so satisfying to kill the last enemy plane while you're way behind on points   :)

Ziptop #8 Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

• Beta Tester
  • 2917 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 10 September 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

That is so frustrating !!

You're comfortably in the lead and winning, watching how the last surviving bot/human on your team does a kamikaze over an enemy base or something in stead of staying away from any enemy presence !!

On the other hand, it's so satisfying to kill the last enemy plane while you're way behind on points   :)

That noob pointlessly dying and snatching defeat from the jaws of certain victory? 

Yes. That's usually me.

And it usually happens at the end of a fantastic battle where everything that has crossed my gunsights has disintegrated and I'm feeling invincible. 

Then suddenly, many points ahead, somewhere over an irrelevant garrison, chasing after one last red kill...

"You are the last hope" 

Wait. What? 

And all the invincible evaporates to be replaced by plane made of paper doused in petrol. 

Over a field of elite enemy AA.

Frateras #9 Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:08 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 8046 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
If you cap a base choose the red ones first, but the fighters and multiroles are always the best choice even if they are white.:playing:

Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users