how to play GA now?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

MayyoNaise #1 Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 156 battles

Greetings, i am a returning veteran who's new to 2.0 and i have trouble finding a use for my Attack Aircraft.

i opened op a training room with my Bsh-2 against a single tier 4 Bf 109, so i can get familiar with how ground targets work and how to best make use of my 4 bombs. and i find that, taking the airbase for example takes half of my bombs for the large building in the middle but yields only about a quarter of base capture.

i found that the rate of caputre was so slow, that the cap progress went back on its own, and i was unable to cap the airbase AT ALL, in all of the training game. and thats on a ground target of my own tier rather than one above, which i assume would be even tougher to crack.

i thought to myself that it probably would be way easier to capture the Airfield with a Tier4 Zero. and indeed, it was way easier that way. and on top of that air targets are easier to shoot down as well, so much so that i was having way, way, more luck getting plane kills in my Tier 2-4 Soviet attack aircraft than ground targets.

so if shooting aerial targets is both easier and more effective for taking bases, what purpose does the Attack Aircraft serve now? especially the Bsh-2 which has neither rockets nor a tail gunner.

i really hope i am just playing it wrong and it would be great if somebody with more experience who knows their stuff could jump-start me about how exactly to play GA now. preferably using the Bsh-2 specifically as an example as it is probably the most limited in terms of its available options, and if i can master it, i can master them all.

Edited by MayyoNaise, 07 October 2019 - 05:01 PM.

Grumpy_Guts #2 Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 8190 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Hi there, tend to fly the odd GAA myself ( well most of the time actually ) and tend to do very well in them.

Battles now have changed a lot in 2.0 and with bombers more active multi-role/heavies even the odd fighter touting for ground targets.

The training room is not really the place to get your eye back in the game only battles will do that and if you like your GAA stick with them, I still have some gritty good battles.

In the lower tiers try following bombers as they tend not to destroy all sections of targets in one pass, finish damaged ground targets off flip bases etc.

As for the Bsh-2  love it but am finding have to use bombs more for ( bomb trap ) than on targets.

Happy Hunting:izmena:

levlos #3 Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

Senior Airman

• 3419 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

Hey Mayo !

The Bsh-2 is a very powerful plane, in my opinion, if you play it with a twist. First, you are not that slow: the next tier Il-2, with the module upgrade to get quick ordnance reload, is even slower. You have a solid boost, and can even put your nose in the air for quite some time before stalling. Why put the nose in the air of a ground-attack airplane ? A-ha, thats the twist.

You see, the Bsh-2 is not really a ground attack aircraft. At low tiers, the GAA struggle with destroying enough ground targets to flip the base, so you have to multi-role. Multi-role, you will say, but how ? I myself pilot the mighty Bsh-2 like a low-level heavy fighter. And in that it excels. Let me explain it below with beauuutiful key points:
1- You have two fearful 23mm guns that almost never overheat. I use a module that increase their rate of fire by about 15%. They have a range of 800 meters, if I remember well. At tier IV, that's about double the range of most guns you will face. The spread is rather bad, and the shots tend to go to hell after a while, but they are GUNS, so they can easily cause criticals. You could go for extended gun ranges, and add another 100 meters or so range. That works too: you gain a 'sniping' ability but loose the capability to destroy ground targets more easily.
2- You are NOT a priority in the airspace. As long as there are other fighters around, the enemies will target THEM, and not you. So you are free to do what you want. That's a gigantic bonus that no-one hardly mentions: its perfect to be invisible.
3- You will mostly have to deal with garissons at those tiers, or some airbases. Consider yourself a heavy fighter: use your guns and down airplanes -as much as you can. Keep your bombs for later: they recharge rather slowly. Its not unusual at all for me in the Bsh-2 to have the highest air-to-air damage of all the team. Yesterday I even caused more damage than the other 3 human players combined. Take out the pesky Spitfire, put the Hurricane on fire from where he does not even think you could be a menace. Destroy that hapless Fw-189c. Lurk near the ground, and boost yourself up, and kill that P-38 Lightning that ventured too low. Your guns allow you all that. Of course, you can take out the tents and other light ground structures and the non-armored FLAK installations to quicken base captures. Do not expect your bombs to destroy the special (large) structures consistenly. Keep your bombs for other purposes if are not not guaranteed to flip the base -see below.
4- you do not have a tail gunner, everybody knows it. No gunner, no problem. Since you have quite a lot of HP and enemy guns tend to overheat quickly, the enemies will often have to get close to you to finish you. Let them close, and wiggle your plane. Arrange your head-up display so you can see their distance. Stay low, and if you can, fly over a piece of scenery that funnles the enemy moves. Then, when the enemy is about 100 meters from you, release a bomb. You will very often be able to kill them while they tail you. If you fail, remain low , and try again in a couple of seconds. I was able to kill two guys in their Bf-109 and Bristol 146 just a couple of days ago, with a single bomb.
5- Out of bombs ? Well, that complicates things just a bit. Do not despair, since you already probably pressed F7 to ask a fellow bot to attack who is tailing you. The bots are quite good at it, so do it often. What you can do to let them help you is to hug the cliffs. Sounds stupid, but if you fly turned on your side, close to the edge of a mountain or a cliff, not only will you make the aim and boom-and-zoom attacks more difficult for your enemies, but the bots will often crash trying to get you. Oh, humans crash too :)
6- Never go anywher alone, except if haven't seen any enemy nearby. Always press F3 (assist) or F2 (attack a sector) to get at least a bot to help you. Remember, you work best when you are ignored.

The Bsh-2 is a monster, head and shoulders above the puny Fw-189c, I think (50kg bombs, hahaha, really?). Just play it like a disguised heavy, and you will enjoy it ! Its slow, but where it gets on target.... mama mia !

Have fun and eat fruits!
Levlos

PS: the tier V il-2 at first, you can try and do the same, but once you get those 37mm, you have to play GAA proper and focus on the ground -but hey, you got rockets now! The tier VI il-2t, skip it as fast as you can, its a drag and brings nothing better to the mix. With the tier VII il-10, you start doing again what you did with the Bsh-2, except now you have twice the guns, and you can turn and climb too ! Perfect multi-role. The tier VIII il-20 is pure ground attack (you can down the odd il-40 with your 57mm, but it takes serious skill) and hits structures from beyond a kilometer -one shot, one structure. The tier IX and X Ilyushin 40 and 40P annihilate other GAA, flip bases in seconds, but the very annoying fuselage rotation lag makes deflection shots of the 23mm rather complicated. You must aim in the air to hit turning targets- possible but harder and much more rewarding when it happens. Avoid deflection when you can ! Oh, and you got a pretty nasty tail gunner now :)

Edited by levlos, 08 October 2019 - 08:02 AM.

GonerNL #4 Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles

View Postlevlos, on 08 October 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

At low tiers, the GAA struggle with destroying enough ground targets to flip the base, 

That about sums it up ! A those tiers you have to work together to take a base with a GA. Or shoot enemies and defense planes while over the base.

On tier IX (maybe VIII if you're good) you actually can take sectors alone. Especially in the IL-40 and 40P. WIth the Germans it can be a challenge (but they're good at shooting other planes).

Grison_SE #5 Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2210 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Don't forget the premium IL-10M, more manouverable than a lot of HF, guns that doesn't overheat as fast as the HF's makes this one a capable low-mid alt HF when waiting for ordnance to reload.
Please have patience with my spelling/language. English is not my native tounge.

Ziptop #6 Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 2777 battles

I feel for you. I struggled to grind my way from BSh-2 to IL-8/IL-10 and to be honest, if I had the time over again I wouldn't bother. 

Since the introduction of bombers there doesn't seem to be a good role for GAA anymore. 

Anybody that suggests LF, MRF and HF are going to be too busy chasing other things to bother with you isn't telling you the whole story. 

At lower tiers hardly anything can get high enough to chase bombers. So you are the easy target. You have about 30 seconds on sector before you explode and it takes a week for you to get to a sector. 

The camo mechanic doesn't seem to work. Flying at <50 across a map with paid for camo doesn't stop you getting discovered, even in the middle of nowhere.

You can try stealth. You have about 30 seconds on target, maybe less.

You can try to fly aggressively. You have about 30 seconds on target. 

50% of your team will immediately fly to noob mid and most of them will die there and go back again and  stay again or stay there for the rest of the battle.

Bombers and MRF will race ahead of you with some fighters and cap sectors before you have even arrived. 

In summary. GAA are broken. Don't bother.

Yes. Other people here seem to have had better luck and a more enjoyable/productive experience. I like the TSh-2 I go back and fly that from time to time but the others I only fly if I'm on hotel WiFi and need something slow that doesn't need to shoot at moving objects too much.

Edited by Ziptop, 08 October 2019 - 04:42 PM.

Frateras #7 Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7957 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
GAAs and fighters should not share the same battle field. In 1.9 there was one big cloud of heavies and fighters and the maps were much bigger than now. So there was plenty of space to fly around  that cloud. It's nearly impossible for a GAA to avoid each contact to red fighters meanwhile - although the base bots seem to be unable to shoot them down fast. The best solution would be to buff the rear gunners I think.

Edited by Frateras, 08 October 2019 - 05:48 PM.

Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier

levlos #8 Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Senior Airman

• 3419 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

Hey Guys,

It is true that crawling around in an il-2 at 320 kph is a depressing task in the ocean map. I did 775 points a couple of days before, because I capped one base and everytime I was about to cap the next one, it was being flipped by another aircraft or a bot I had sent ahead. You have to wait for the nice, small, and dense map to shine. I had the same experience flying a tier IV  I-17 on the map that has a command center on a center island. I guess its like World of Tanks: on some maps, you are at a disadvantage, and on the other maps, you rule.

That is why in general I prefer piloting heavies: you can zip around the map faster, and influence the outcome.

I find the GAA to be relaxing: you are in the thick of the battle without needing instant reflexes, and you might pull a few tricks to give you satisfaction. In the upper tiers, you can also consistently be in the top 3 of your team, points-wise. (tier VII and up).

One last note: a couple of patches ago, the bots defending the bases had a very hard time attacking the GAA at very low altitude. But no more: they can damage you with quick passes. And if you are not at map-of-earth level, they can down you alright (especially the multi-roles, I don't know why).

Levlos

MayyoNaise #9 Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 156 battles

greetings again, and thank you for everyones replies.

yesterday, right after writing this i searched for a video on the Bsh-2 and found this: https://www.youtube....h?v=Hr4QWF9RMqU

there are 3 things i learned from it (in addition to the testings that i have done in the training rooms previously)

• don't bother with most armored ground targets, and go for the soft ones, they add up
  • some armored ground targets can be taken out with a single bomb if softened enough through shooting, at least when you're top tier. (although at times it may be worth it to drop 2 at two of them to capure a key objective)
  • take the scenic route, around the map borders

i went with those things and took it out for a spin again, and noticed some significant improvement especially thanks to the ones related to ground targets, but of course if an aerial target presented itself, i went for it.

i played for 3 hours yesterday and did more bombkills than i could count. back in 1.9 the Bsh-2 was the plane that taught me bomb kills to begin with, so it is only fitting that it is the plane that i used to re-learn it. not that it was particularily hard as it became second nature to me even back then, but it is harder now since the target camera window doesn't exist anymore (i miss it, along side the highly custumizable HUD and controls we used to have).

but anyways i found that i had tons of fun and that i STILL love this game and STILL love to play GA. even though my favourite part of it is gone (usually being the last hope, getting ganged up on and taking 2-3 enemies down in the process and sometimes being able to turn the game around all one ones own.)

i played it so much that i made enough money to buy the now discounted IL-20 (i already had enough XP ro research it back before i stopped playing).

View Postlevlos, on 08 October 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Arrange your head-up display so you can see their distance.

how? where can i do it? first thing i did when i reinstalled WoWP was to configure my settings and i found that all the HUD/Marker settings were gone. if there are some hidden settings somewhere i would love to get my hands on them, as i find the new HUD to be atrociously designed, and it hides a lot of info that i need to know based on target-distance. at least thats what i was thinking all day while playing yesterday

Have fun and eat fruits!

haha! believe it or not, i actually went and bought some fruits today just because you told me so now. because i am crazy like that, plus fruits are healthy! (and i should eat them anyway)

The tier IX and X Ilyushin 40 and 40P annihilate other GAA, flip bases in seconds, but the very annoying fuselage rotation lag makes deflection shots of the 23mm rather complicated. You must aim in the air to hit turning targets- possible but harder and much more rewarding when it happens. Avoid deflection when you can !

what do you mean by "deflection"?

View PostGrison_SE, on 08 October 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Don't forget the premium IL-10M, more manouverable than a lot of HF, guns that doesn't overheat as fast as the HF's makes this one a capable low-mid alt HF when waiting for ordnance to reload.

thank you for the tip! coincidentally i happen to have one of those

GonerNL #10 Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles

View PostMayyoNaise, on 09 October 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

and STILL love to play GA. 

Same here. It's the only type I got 2 bars on in efficiency (on profile page).

Bad part is you hardly have any battles without being shot down at least twice, no matter how many armor and gunner skills you have. And then, some patches ago, WG even nerfed them !! Pilot injury and Demolition expert caused less damage and gunners got smaller firing angles.

Still, just completed the Soviet GA line by getting the discounted IL-40P. Also thinking of getting the P.1102B next week at 15% discount.

For a different kind of GA play, try the German Hs-129's.

Edited by GonerNL, 09 October 2019 - 08:09 AM.

Discontinued #11 Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1984 battles

View PostZiptop, on 08 October 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

I feel for you. I struggled to grind my way from BSh-2 to IL-8/IL-10 and to be honest, if I had the time over again I wouldn't bother. 

You have about 30 seconds on sector before you explode 

In summary. GAA are broken. Don't bother.

I could not agree more especially the Soviet GAA are "flying coffins" the Gerrys are okish

the trick is to target the big items such as factories or radar sites as they net the most cap points and take biggest chunks of the cap.plan you route of attack as to get the most damage in a single run.

I always target GAA in any plane, even with a high tiered gunner they're pretty easy to counter by using my "corkscrew technique" and attacking from the sides 

the problem with GAA is that you are mostly playing against AI a lot of the time, it gets a little boring shooting and bombing the same old targets over and over again. only to get explodified and then spend an eternity flying to the next cap, in the vein hope that your bombers didn't speed over and take it before you could even get near...

Zip is right GAA is almost a waste of time now unless you are one of these hooligan stat padders, who pays in a flight with a bomber at tier 10.........tut tut tut 

just my two penneth

"May cause the explode problem"

Aimless #12 Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2467 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Oh well the only real challenge playing GAAs is to predict where you can do useful things and how long it takes to get there. This especially counts for Russian low tiers with their anemic speed. Germans are indeed generally more suitable for multirole fighting, less for capping by ground pounding. All becomes more enjoyable once you passed tier VI. IL-20 with a good rear gunner is perfect for having a laugh. I also love my IL-10, and with both I won several battles alone.

GonerNL #13 Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles

View PostDiscontinued, on 09 October 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

I could not agree more especially the Soviet GAA are "flying coffins" the Gerrys are okish ...

Zip is right GAA is almost a waste of time now ...

I could not disagree more ... I fly the IL-40 (and recently the IL-40P) and the P.1099 (both specced) and yes, you die a lot but in between I get very good results. Mostly in top 3 on the team and lots of caps and destroyed ground targets (for a mediocre pilot).

When available I go for the mining plant and missile base as they are not as easy to flip for fighters as garrisons, airfields and command centers. Try to do as much damage as possible or even cap it in one run before the enemy arrives. I stay very low, use terrain (difficult on sea maps) for cover, use seasonal camo and don't boost when enemy is overhead. 

The only frustrating part of flying GA is the rest of the team who ignore you while you're attacking and then lose the capped base while you're en route to the next ...

Edited by GonerNL, 09 October 2019 - 12:57 PM.

Ziptop #14 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 2777 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 09 October 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

I could not disagree more ... I fly the IL-40 

Maybe it gets better once you get a top tier GAA. 

But to get one of those you have to spend how much time in soul destroying mid tier soviet GAA tractors? 

GonerNL #15 Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles
Maybe it was easier before the nerfs (and other changes ?) were introduced ... I don't remember the Soviet GA grind as particularly bad ; I had more problems with the Fw-190, P-47 and US heavy lines :-(

levlos #16 Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

Senior Airman

• 3419 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

View PostAimless, on 09 October 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

Oh well the only real challenge playing GAAs is to predict where you can do useful things and how long it takes to get there. This especially counts for Russian low tiers with their anemic speed. Germans are indeed generally more suitable for multirole fighting, less for capping by ground pounding. All becomes more enjoyable once you passed tier VI. IL-20 with a good rear gunner is perfect for having a laugh. I also love my IL-10, and with both I won several battles alone.

Hey Aimless,

In this I agree 100%. Indeed, with GAA you have to feel and predict the flow of the battle ahead so you are where it matters. For instance, head to the sector you feel will fall shortly, but get there NOT too fast so that there are no human enemies around. You cannot defend like a heavy, and your booster is too precious to waste on a trip that will yield no important capture. Always check your minimap and see where the train of enemies move to.
I am a great fan of attacking enemy airbases, with their weakly armored ground structures. That is the sole objective you can flip on your own with a Bsh-2 if you have full ordnance. Works better when no enemy plane materializes above you and dives upon your six :)

Best way to attack in a GAA is to get rammed in the face by a fighter, of course. I wonder how that can still be happening almost every day :)

I wish camo influenced more visibility though, so that flying nap-of-earth would be more beneficial !

@Mayyonaise:

From wikipedia:

"Deflection shooting is a technique used for effectively propelling a projectile at a moving target, also known as leading the target, i.e. shooting ahead of a moving target so that the target and projectile will collide. This technique is only necessary when the target will have moved a sufficient distance to displace its position during the time the projectile would take to reach the target's range. This can become the case over long distances, due to fast moving targets (e.g. an opposing aircraft in an aerial dogfight), or while using relatively slow projectiles. "

rheaghorn #17 Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Squadron Leader
  • 2322 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

View Postlevlos, on 09 October 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

Hey Aimless,

In this I agree 100%. Indeed, with GAA you have to feel and predict the flow of the battle ahead so you are where it matters. For instance, head to the sector you feel will fall shortly, but get there NOT too fast so that there are no human enemies around. You cannot defend like a heavy, and your booster is too precious to waste on a trip that will yield no important capture. Always check your minimap and see where the train of enemies move to.
I am a great fan of attacking enemy airbases, with their weakly armored ground structures. That is the sole objective you can flip on your own with a Bsh-2 if you have full ordnance. Works better when no enemy plane materializes above you and dives upon your six :)

Best way to attack in a GAA is to get rammed in the face by a fighter, of course. I wonder how that can still be happening almost every day :)

I wish camo influenced more visibility though, so that flying nap-of-earth would be more beneficial !

... hi all,

pas spécialement tout bien compris, mais 100% agree with you 

:)

Discontinued #18 Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1984 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 09 October 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

I could not disagree more ... I fly the IL-40 (and recently the IL-40P) and the P.1099 (both specced) and yes, you die a lot but in between I get very good results. Mostly in top 3 on the team and lots of caps and destroyed ground targets (for a mediocre pilot).

When available I go for the mining plant and missile base as they are not as easy to flip for fighters as garrisons, airfields and command centers. Try to do as much damage as possible or even cap it in one run before the enemy arrives. I stay very low, use terrain (difficult on sea maps) for cover, use seasonal camo and don't boost when enemy is overhead. 

The only frustrating part of flying GA is the rest of the team who ignore you while you're attacking and then lose the capped base while you're en route to the next ...

I have to admit i never went past tier 6 in GAA, its not really my thing!

View PostZiptop, on 09 October 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

Maybe it gets better once you get a top tier GAA. 

But to get one of those you have to spend how much time in soul destroying mid tier soviet GAA tractors? 

Yes my hats off to anyone who has the sheer determination to Grind (and to me it would be a chore/grind) to get a GAA to top tier.

"May cause the explode problem"

GonerNL #19 Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles

View Postlevlos, on 09 October 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

Seasonal camo does work ...

a masking camouflage provides -10% to the visibility sphere radius and status effects

https://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/visibilty-system-20/

I regularly manage to sneak past enemy planes by wearing camo, flying very low, using terrain for cover and not boosting.

also the new radio equipment adds to concealment :

https://worldofwarplanes.eu/news/devblog_equipment_full/

View PostDiscontinued, on 10 October 2019 - 10:53 AM, said:

Yes my hats off to anyone who has the sheer determination to Grind (and to me it would be a chore/grind) to get a GAA to top tier.

Worst are the tiers III, IV & V for Soviets and V & VI for Germans (except the Hs-129B which is great). After that it gets a lot better ...

Edited by GonerNL, 10 October 2019 - 09:02 AM.

MayyoNaise #20 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 156 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 10 October 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

Seasonal camo does work ...

a masking camouflage provides -10% to the visibility sphere radius and status effects

https://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/visibilty-system-20/

I regularly manage to sneak past enemy planes by wearing camo, flying very low, using terrain for cover and not boosting.

also the new radio equipment adds to concealment :

https://worldofwarplanes.eu/news/devblog_equipment_full/

Good ressources, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users