Jump to content


i need tips for long-range rocket kills


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

MayyoNaise #1 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Conquest Member
  • 156 battles
  • 93
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

rocket kills were never easy, but one could learn to be highly proficient at them.

 

i myself managed a total of 31 back in the day (or maybe a couple more since it only counted the first per game), almost exclusively with soviet ground attackers (IL-2, IL-2 (t), and IL-8).

 

i know the rocket ranges (unless they changed since 1.9), but what i lost is the aiming circle. while it never told you where or how to aim a rocket, it allowed for an estimate of the angle to the targets flight course, and its speed. what worked for me back then was to double the distance from the target to the aiming circle, and fire when the range indicator hits the magic number. which was: rocket range, modified by targets flight angle relative to you. the more it faces towards you, the more meters you have to add. the more it is facing away from you, the more you have to subtract.

 

basically the aiming point helped you to determine both where to fire and when. but now its gone, and i am back at square 1. and all that remains is target distance. no more relative angle, no more estimation of speed.

 

i have been trying for a while now, and all the videos of rocketkills i can find are from pre-2.0 times. which does make me wonder if they're even still consistently doable or not.

 

since there are many variants of rocket kills i'll specify again that i am only interested in the long-range, non-direct-hit, air-to-air rocket kills. the ones where the rocket hits neither the target nor the ground directly, but instead explodes because it reached its maximum flight distance.


Edited by MayyoNaise, 10 October 2019 - 01:29 PM.


GonerNL #2 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:43 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles
  • 1,931
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

You should really ask the BV P.210 and F-94D bot pilots ... they can hit everything under any angle and every speed.

 

Sorry, no help.

Maybe you should ask on Discord ; there were some guys bragging about rocket kills and Golubev medals some time ago.


Edited by GonerNL, 10 October 2019 - 01:45 PM.


MayyoNaise #3 Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Conquest Member
  • 156 battles
  • 93
  • Member since:
    05-26-2014

View PostGonerNL, on 10 October 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

Maybe you should ask on Discord ; there were some guys bragging about rocket kills and Golubev medals some time ago.


I prefer the forum, but i should consider that. how do i get there?


Edited by MayyoNaise, 10 October 2019 - 01:54 PM.


GonerNL #4 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles
  • 1,931
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.eu/index.php?/topic/51100-official-wargaming-discord/

 



Frateras #5 Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:13 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 7957 battles
  • 392
  • [JV44] JV44
  • Member since:
    03-10-2017

View PostMayyoNaise, on 10 October 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

rocket kills were never easy, but one could learn to be highly proficient at them.

 

i myself managed a total of 31 back in the day (or maybe a couple more since it only counted the first per game), almost exclusively with soviet ground attackers (IL-2, IL-2 (t), and IL-8).

 

i know the rocket ranges (unless they changed since 1.9), but what i lost is the aiming circle. while it never told you where or how to aim a rocket, it allowed for an estimate of the angle to the targets flight course, and its speed. what worked for me back then was to double the distance from the target to the aiming circle, and fire when the range indicator hits the magic number. which was: rocket range, modified by targets flight angle relative to you. the more it faces towards you, the more meters you have to add. the more it is facing away from you, the more you have to subtract.

 

basically the aiming point helped you to determine both where to fire and when. but now its gone, and i am back at square 1. and all that remains is target distance. no more relative angle, no more estimation of speed.

 

i have been trying for a while now, and all the videos of rocketkills i can find are from pre-2.0 times. which does make me wonder if they're even still consistently doable or not.

 

since there are many variants of rocket kills i'll specify again that i am only interested in the long-range, non-direct-hit, air-to-air rocket kills. the ones where the rocket hits neither the target nor the ground directly, but instead explodes because it reached its maximum flight distance.

Your good in math aren't you? :) Just try planes with salvoes rockets. One of them might meet the target.


Edited by Frateras, 10 October 2019 - 02:15 PM.

Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

 

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier


houghtonbee #6 Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 3855 battles
  • 471
  • [BBMM] BBMM
  • Member since:
    06-23-2013
Pilot needs whatever the air to air rocket skill is called. You need a pre-weakened enemy to fly at you or just in front. You need to be close to your target, long range is unlikely to work unless rng is on your side.

zen_monk_ #7 Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha Tester
  • 7650 battles
  • 2,476
  • [__] __
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Deflection shots are beyond me. All I ever did was head on or on enemy's six (with AA rockets) and occasional kill with air-to-ground rockets fired from above on a GAA flying low, so the blast radius from the ground catch him.

 

People who can fire at 45 angles on a moving fighter and kill either with a direct hit or a blast - i bow humbled and in awe.


stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            


Frateras #8 Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 7957 battles
  • 392
  • [JV44] JV44
  • Member since:
    03-10-2017

View Posthoughtonbee, on 10 October 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

Pilot needs whatever the air to air rocket skill is called. You need a pre-weakened enemy to fly at you or just in front. You need to be close to your target, long range is unlikely to work unless rng is on your side.

I've never got any advantage with that skill- I just take the rockets for Bombers or short before someone rams me.  Fire 24 rockets and swerve a little bit. They fly in all directions. It almost works and I have lots of fun with 'em.


Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

 

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier


GonerNL #9 Posted Today, 10:13 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 9509 battles
  • 1,931
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

View Postzen_monk_, on 10 October 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

People who can fire at 45 angles on a moving fighter and kill either with a direct hit or a blast - i bow humbled and in awe.

 

No need, only bots can do that ...






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users