Rookie question about Multirole lines

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Dhansak #1 Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Hi All

I just started playing and am having a lot of fun. Due to real life demands I will probably always be playing this casually - so will probably never get past Tier 6 long term. Well maybe will get the XP - but never the time to get the skills to not get wiped out at high levels!

With this in mind (currently really enjoying tier 4) I am looking at the multirole line. I have already decided that I will be going the UK fighter route as well (allure of the Spitfire) but can't decide on the multirole trees.

I have had a lot of fun in the early T1-T3 Russian line and have come to the conclusion that I like turn and burn multiroles with rockets for GA. The rockets seem to stop on the russian line at T5, but the UK and USA lines go all the way (pertinent if I unexpectedly can survive above T6, then I still have somewhere to go).

Can anyone who has played these lines - UK Hurricane Line and US F4F Line - please help with advice re the pros and cons. I don't want to be be sucked into lines that may have too many lemons along the way! Who knew I would need rockets lol.....

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8251 battles
  • [__] __

My 2 cents (we are talking multis tier 5-6 right?)

Hurricane tier 4 is great

Hurricane tier 5 not so much (at least for me) but it compensates with leading to:

Tornado tier 6. Good 20 mm guns, good bombs or rockets - very very good plane

US XP-44 (tier 5) has bombs only but carries six .50cal, the evercool dakka-dakka. For me a joyful plane to fly.

Germans it's FW 190's. Tier 5 is not so much loved, tier 6 for me is a beast. The best armament of all the planes listed here, you lack good turning but if you keep on the edge of a furball, high, and wisely pick your targets (instead of them picking you) you'll have an instant boom :-)

of course, you have great Corsair line but they are a bit higher tiered, they start at tier 6.

edit

and of course  welcome :great:

don't hesitate to ask whatever you need

Edited by zen_monk_, 22 October 2019 - 11:40 AM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Dhansak #3 Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Hi zen_monk_

Many thanks for the info and the welcome :)

Yes you were spot on with Tier 5-6 multis; based on what you have said I'll definitely try out the Hurricane line then! This keeps things simpler as it'll be an all UK thing for awhile as I'm hoping to go Spitfire eventually - yay! Am still working through the T4 fighter - almost all stock but still fun, which is the main thing.

As I'm going British I was thinking about getting a UK premium aircraft for crew training, so I have a couple of questions there if you don't mind helping there too?

1) Is the T5 fighter the Boomerang any good? I have seen people say positive things about it, but don't know how things are in the current game version. I'm sold if it is fun to fly and can perform reasonably well if I manage to pilot it ok-ish.

2) If you buy a premium plane for gold directly from the Tech Tree, does it come with a hanger slot? I am guessing not as the gold value would be surprisingly good (see 3 below!)

3) What's the best way to actually buy a premium plane? At the moment (with a discount price active) the Boomerang (including hanger) is £5.23. The tech tree gold price for it is 1264. Add  300 for a hanger slot (if required?) and the full gold cost is 1564. I could buy that gold for £5.44 (or less if I bought more gold for a better exchange rate). So basically it's about the same (assuming the guess about the hanger slot is correct). Is that logic correct? - it's just that sometimes games

have a little wrinkle in their currency systems which noobs like me could miss and then go about things in completely the wrong way lol.

Thanks again for your help!

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8251 battles
  • [__] __

1) I don't know, don't have it. But yes people say nice things about it, compare it to Spitfire.

2) No. If you buy a premium plane for gold directly from the Tech Tree, it does not come with a hangar slot. You have to purchase it aditionally.

3) The best way is to buy any premium plane on a discount, when there's an event or celebration wit the discount. Don't know if you will save or lose half an euro if purchased for gold in game plus hangar slot or if bought for cash from the shop where it comes with slot... the difference it's so tiny.

You're in luck, right now there's a discount on everything. Also read this, you'll find a lot of good advises on how to purchase your first premium

http://forum.worldof...u-need-to-know/

Dhansak #5 Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Briliant thanks! - think I'll just buy from the store to keep it as simple as possible. Nice thread link btw - your screenshot of the dakka-dakka P-40 M-105 match is tempting me to look at the six .50cals on the US XP-44 you mentioned earlier!  Soon, soon ...

You've been a star - thanks for the assistance :)

Cheers!

RoyalFlyingCorps #6 Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15463 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I vastly preferred the British multiroles to either of the American multirole lines.  The Corsairs are all right, but what they lead to at the high tiers are rather underwhelming and as for the P-47s...ghastly aircraft.

The Hunter at the top of the British tree is rather good, in my opinion.

The Boomerang is a decent-to-good tier 5 premium.  It’s not a Spitfire, but it rewards a similar playing style and the guns are pretty good.

Dhansak #7 Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Thanks RFC - looking forward to trying out that part of the British tree.

Meanwhile just bought a Boomerang! - will have to wait a couple of hours to fly though - mountain of paperwork to plough through .... will make the flying even sweeter when I get to it!

Aimless #8 Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 2726 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Hi Dhansak, welcome to the forums!

I'd also recommend to you, if you got a chance to do it, just play one battle every day of the week. 3k personal points are no magic at all. And even if you don't manage to get them in one battle, the second one will do. After each week you're rewarded with a supply crate. They contain nice gifts, also premium planes (I have one in around every 3rd weekly crate). If you make sure to have every hangar slot occupied while opening it (tier I planes will do the job and cost zero credits), you'll get another one together with the plane. After some time you'll have a nice little collection without having to spend a single cent.

Low or mid tier premium planes are not that great generally, unless you really get used to them. Boomerang is one of the better ones, but still it's one of the not-so-great mid tier premiums. They're halfway okay as crew trainers, forget about the credit income. You can have better results with tech tree planes just for the reason that they perform better. Get a russian I-17 or a Bf109B and fly them a lot. Or the forementioned Hurricane I if you prefer Multiroles. You can also use them as trainers without exceptional drawbacks. Just don't run too many planes at the same time if you don't tend to play several dozens or hundreds of battles each week (like Zen and the other addicts). That way your pilots will get the necessary skills easily.

Have fun with the game and see you in the skies! :B

Premiums really start to pay off at tier VII/VIII but depending on your real life earnings, they do have their price.

zen_monk_ #9 Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8251 battles
  • [__] __

View PostAimless, on 22 October 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

Just don't run too many planes at the same time if you don't tend to play several dozens or hundreds of battles each week (like Zen and the other addicts).

I used to think it's recreational, just like you're in denial now :teethhappy:

RoyalFlyingCorps #10 Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15463 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

I play once a day.

All day long.

Well, it used to be true as the number of battles to the left will testify, but I play but rarely these days.

Dhansak #11 Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Hi Aimless!

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up about the 7 daily missions. I had spotted it but wrongly assumed that any good stuff would drop so rarely from the end of week crate that it wasn't worth doing. I will definitely put the weekly in as part of my routine  - and your tip about having a full hanger on weekly completion just-in-case is gold!

Hope to see you in the skies one day - I'm easily spotted - I have those pretty smoke plumes trailing my plane most of the time :)

Cheers for now!

RoyalFlyingCorps #12 Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15463 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I should point out that the Corsair line does lead to the tier 9 F-94D Starfire, which is a novel multirole.  If you research it, make sure you have about 110,000 free experience on hand to install immediately, and in this order of priority, the Vulcan cannon and the air-to-air rockets.  With those you have the most powerful machine gun in the game and the fun of giving enemy planes coming at you a faceful of explosive presents.  It's the single gem amongst the American multiroles.  Beware; it is succeeded by the F7U Cutlass, or "Gutless" as we old hands like to call it.

zen_monk_ #13 Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8251 battles
  • [__] __

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 23 October 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Beware; it is succeeded by the F7U Cutlass, or "Gutless" as we old hands like to call it.

He said he will stay at tiers 5-6 (perfectly fine) so there was no need to describe further up the tech tree.

But hey, your warning is true and valid.

Spoiler

Dhansak #14 Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Thanks for that guys - all good info.

My thinking about my self imposed tier restriction may require a bit of context. I used to play WoT years ago so I think my perception of what the tiers are like is almost certainly influenced by that experience, so I am probably way off with how it is here in WoWP!

I guess it all depends on where the playerbase skill level ramps up (if at all?). I know I can have fun winning 50% of the time at T4-T5 (I'm hoping my experience will be similar at T6 when the time comes).  In fact I have more fun losing a really close run match than having a lot of easy wins. As long as I can give as good as I get most of the time, it's all good. As a casual player, is there a tier level where merely being about average in skill level just won't cut it? 

Also, at lower levels at least, the matchmaking seems pretty good - I suppose the inclusion of bots helps! Is MM also ok at higher levels?

Thanks.

RoyalFlyingCorps #15 Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15463 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
The main problem at higher tiers is not so much that you will run into good players, though those there are, but that you will hardly run into any players at all.

zen_monk_ #16 Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8251 battles
  • [__] __

The most action and fun is between IV - VI. Do as you originally intended, casually play tiers 4,5 & 6 and enjoy. You'll meet everybody there - newbies, aces and all in between.

There's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - Tier 10 has fewer people, and if you ever reach it those who you'll meet will be very experienced players with uber spec'd machines and 10-14 skills pilots. So it won't go well for you for some time.

In Tanks tier 10 has it's purpose: Clan Battles. We don't have that here, so there's no concrete need to go there. For casual playing, several games a day here and there, tier 5 is the sweet spot and highly recommended.

Dhansak #17 Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Excellent! - just what I was hoping for. Thanks again guys :)

RoyalFlyingCorps #18 Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15463 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I raced from my first battle to what was then all 18 tier X planes in 165 days.  Looking back at it, whilst that was some achievement, I don’t remember enjoying much of it.  My problem is that I don’t much enjoy playing at tiers IV-VI because I find it too easy and I don’t enjoy playing at tiers IX-X because it’s mostly bots and one or two really good players, often in aircraft you can’t counter, making the games difficult to win and not particularly enjoyable.

Hence, after 15,000 games, I play very little these days.  I think Zen’s advice is good, though it doesn’t work for me, that said.

Renwor #19 Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2470 battles

I'd add my two cents, maybe repeating some older wisdom, but it never harms.

Boomerang:   Is good(ish). It's main problem is, it cannot run from anything and it outturns only something. So if you are focused by jap or yak you are in trouble. With Spitfire you may end up in endless dogfight, but lose in the end.

It's main advantage is good guns and decent everything else (except speed) and well, those ADA bots fly boomerangs and nobody is afraid of those. So the main tactic for me is to stay as harmless and confused as ADA bot and then punch them in the nose (or belly, or tail, or whatever is closest) HARD.

Multiroles: in mid tiers you cannot do wrong with either brit (Hurricane) line or Corsair line.  Avoid P47 frustration, it's terrible in mid tier and leads to XP72 and then if you get over it you get Thunderjet.  Not one gem in this whole line.

In Hurricane line I am a bit strugling with low roll rates, but that's all I can say against it. 

The FW line, if you start squinting that way, is difficult. Not completely bad, but nothing deserving "butcher bird" tag either.  Kinda a "light heavy" , good guns, good speed, decent climb,  Terrible turn.

Dhansak #20 Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:53 AM

Senior Airman

• 378 battles

Thanks Renwor - I ended up buying the Boomerang and the Russion T4 LaGG. I had plans to train crew but not sure if it was worth it on that score after all; probably end up training my crews in their native planes anyway! In any case at least I find these premiums good to fly so not a total waste of cash - will have to restrain future urges to grab something shiny before thinking it through lol. Just managed to stop myself autobuying the Halloween special. Would have got it for the Venom had I not already got the Boomerang and just unlocked the Spitfire part of the tree!

RoyalFlyingCorps - 15000 games! Don't think I'll get that far - but I see what you are saying about finding a tier range to play that is still enjoyable. It will be awhile (if ever!) before I find T4-6 too easy, so as you say, zen_monk_'s advice will work well for me.

zen_monk_ I forgot ask you what you found not so good on the T5  Hurricane. I will work towards that with the T4 version and on paper the T5 looks better so I was interested to hear about your experience with it.

Aimless - I completed my first 7 day sequence and got some nice stuff; I will carry on with that for sure - thanks for that! BTW I was in a battle with you the other day - didn't realise it till you shot me down and the game let me know the pilot with the better employed dakka! I was trying to say hello but the game ended before i could figure out the chat feature (haven't used it yet!).

I've just managed to get the T5 Spitfire, Beaufighter and T4 Hurricane last night - only had a chance to fly the Hurricane so far. Much to my surprise I really enjoyed it - even stock! Up until now, I was pretty convinced I only enjoyed the really maneuverable stuff but had a great fun time with it as well as the T4 Bleinheim (it's really nice being able to reach those bombers as well as do some GA).Looks like I found a whole new set of toys to play with :) . I think the only plane I was glad to get past was the Skua - we just never quite got on together.

I think my overall plan will be to have a minimum of one fighter and one GA capable plane (multirole or heavy fighter) each in the T1-4 and T5-6 ranges for the UK, US and USSR.

I'm pretty much sorted on the UK side. Will aim for the T5 Hurricane with the T6 Tornado (thanks for the tip zen) as a long term goal. Am looking forward flying the T5 Beaufighter for the first time today - is the T6 Mosquito worth aiming for? If not , I'm quite happy to stick with theT5 craft. I have a reasonable idea of what I'm going to do with the USSR Lines, but am very unsure with which T5 US fighter and GA to go for. WIll have to play about when the time comes, but all suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks for all your time and assistance guys - much appreciated :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users