Rookie question about Multirole lines

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

zen_monk_ #21 Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9873 battles
  • [__] __
T5  Hurricane and me simply haven't clicked. While I adore Hurri 4, both (there is a premium version as a fighter, not multi as in tech tree), 5 felt meh or I rushed through it and upon hitting tier 6 Tornado I was "now that's what I wanted all along".

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Ziptop #22 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7235 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game and have found planes you like flying and have fun in. 

I've invested a fair amount of time in multiroles up to T7 and have developed a fondness for the Fw190 line. Maybe not the easiest line to fly but Fw190-A5 and Fw190 D certainly do have great guns! The -A5 can even turn a bit! 

Regarding the Hurricane's, I think that the Hurricane I probably gets a better tier spread. It's more competitive with the planes it potentially meets. The Hurricane II meets more challenging enemies and has a tougher time. 

I have fun in the Tornado and Typhoon, but the Typhoon really needs it's upgrades before it starts to shine. At stock it has a rack of mg's rather than canon and their reach isn't really enough in the tiers it flies, especially with its stock engine. You just can't catch anything. Once you upgrade the guns though it begins to deliver.

The Corsairs are iconic but I'm still grinding the USA multiroles and have only got as far as F4U-1 (just got the XP-44) so there isn't really much I can tell you about them except my battles in them are a bit hit and miss.

USSR multiroles are an odd bunch. The I-16 is an MRF that actually feels like a fighter. The Yak MRF's have an incredible canon that will disintegrate anything you hit. But hitting anything with it seems impossible. I actually downgraded the guns on the Yak-9 and find it's ok as a mediocre fighter. It turns faster than people might expect.

As a note, I generally fly my multiroles a bit like fighters. I don't carry external ordnance on any except the Tornado (rockets) and the real US MRF line which leads to the XP-44 which I use in the strike aircraft role.

MRF will be competitive against most heavy fighters, some MRF's and if you hit and run intelligently can take out light fighters. Avoid 109's and Spitfires as these can out turn and catch you.

Renwor #23 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2703 battles

Only that best way of "avoiding" is disintegrate them when sufficiently in front of you. The quad 20mm power. If you miss, then only F7 can save you.

I agree, I quite forgot stock Typhoon pain, but once upgraded and with a marksman or two skills ... :P

Dhansak #24 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2402 battles

Thanks for the further info all - much appreciated.

Managed to finally get enough xp and have researched the Hurricane 2. Not bought it yet due to lack of hanger space. Am also out of barrack space. Think it's time to either buy more slots or expand my barracks; i'm far too attached to some of my early tier 60% pilots lol. I'll toughen up and get rid of them or spend the gold that carried over from WoT - 3 slots worth (or 2 slots plus bigger barracks). 

It may seem as if I'm rushing - but I'm just trying to take advantage of the reduced credit prices on the UK line whilst it lasts. After I have got what I can, I will sit back and play things at leisure. I am severely tempted to use my 30k free xp (again mainly from WoT from years ago) to quickly research and buy one of the UK T6s for about 300k less than usual (a significant sum for me at this point!). That would be either the next Spitfire, the Tornado or the Mosquito. Do any of those stand out? I gather that all the Spitfires are good and that the Tornado is pretty nice too (and sounds as if I may struggle with the T5 Hurricane, so it may rescue me from that). No clue about the Mosquito though.

So many toys to play with!

Thanks again - you are a great, helpful community - Cheers :)

RoyalFlyingCorps #25 Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17261 battles
The Mosquito is a dog and I would recommend you keep your free experience for high tiers unless you don't plan to go there.

levlos #26 Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6523 battles

Yeah, Mosquito is a disappointment -especially since if follows the mighty Beaufighter.

The Hornet (tier VII, after the Mossie) I really enjoyed though, even though it is a bit thrill-less, and doesn't have a "one-pass-death" capacity. It can out-accelerate jets, and nobody focuses you.

As with all the British heavies, I found they are best used with clean configuration (except if you have aerodynamic pylons at 450+ calibration), with your acceleration and speed to help you out of the medium altitude binds you will find yourself in. Don't ever go low altitude in British heavies, except if you are chasing that one odd ground attack aircraft that is alone.

Multi-roles I fly mainly for challenge. My son flies them to watch the rockets go boom :)

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

Renwor #27 Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 2703 battles

Unless your current plane(s) is/are real pain in the butt I suggest NOT using free exp to research next ones (honestly, 30K free exp is not that much) but sometimes, it may be worth it to avoid using stock configuration. For example, if you get Tornado, stock I believe has 12x .303MG battery. It is not so useful, as Tornado is not TnB plane, so where Spit may live with such battery, Tornado would be severely handicapped. So free exping 4x20mm helps, add engine, if you feel generous.

Avoid Mosquito. Believe me, you do not want to spend your free exp into that. 

RoyalFlyingCorps #28 Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17261 battles
The Mosquito is rather underwhelming, unfortunately, for an aircraft that was highly regarded in WWII.  It doesn’t know if it’s a heavy fighter or a ground attacker and does neither job particularly well.  The Hornet is better, though many deride it, and the higher tier British heavies get massive cannons that some rather enjoy.

Edited by RoyalFlyingCorps, 30 October 2019 - 11:22 AM.

Dhansak #29 Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2402 battles

Thanks for that - will avoid the Mosquito - had no plans to continue further up that line, so will stick with the Beaufighter.

Also I have taken your sound advice on the use of free XP - juts used a little to get the Hispanos on the Spitfire as they were also of use on a couple of other planes too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users