Monitor death.....and rebirth.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

BravelyRanAway #1 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4106 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

So, last week my monitor wheezed it's last and died, hence the reason that I haven't been playing. It was a Dell Ultra-sharp LCD...older than my youngest child. It had seen three desktop base changes over the years...it was the one constant.

I liked it because it's.......more or less square.

It makes reading forums easier because it shows more topics and posts on the screen.:teethhappy:

It came as quite a shock when slowly over a few weeks I had difficulty turning it on(despite being quite handsome)......and then one day last week.....it refused to turn on and gave the 'blinking' green flashing indicator light of doom.

A quick Google on the laptop about the issue, led me to a similar problem suffered by others and how to fix it.

It turns out that the capacitors on one of the boards had bulged, this happens in sequence as the load is pushed to the remaining capacitors as each takes the dropped load of the previous failed capacitor, which in turn cause them to overheat and fail.

I took the monitor completely apart and inspected the circuit boards, I could see two quite bulged capacitors. There are no electronic shops in my area...so, it's to the internet to find a supplier. I found one in the same county but they have no shop per say and only deliver through post. Fine!. 

Of course, they didn't have the exact capacitors I needed, but as long as the resistance of each capacitor is the same and the voltage is the same or higher(not lower voltage, as they will fail immediately).

I needed 470µF ±20% 35V 105°C 2000 hours  but could only get  470µF ±20% 63V 105°C 2000 hours, I ordered four at €0.16 each = €0.64 plus €6.00 delivery charge bringing the total to €6.64. 

I removed four capacitors and soldered in the four new ones.

It turned out that the 63V capacitors are much taller than the 35V capacitors...which meant I had to cut a small section out of the back of the metal monitor shielding to allow them to poke through, but fear not, the plastic rear cover would then cover them and they would not be visible or accessible to contact by hand, foot or head-banging.

The moral of the story.......sometimes you can bring something back to life very cheaply.

This is the guide I used, it's just 'part one' and was very similar to my monitor(not the exact same but the principle is the same)....

Spoiler

You get the idea.....part two is just going in reverse.

Isn't the internet great!:great:                                                                                            

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

RoyalFlyingCorps #2 Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15804 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Jeepers.  Well done.  It's nice to see somebody so attached to 20th century technology. :)

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4106 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 30 October 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Jeepers.  Well done.  It's nice to see somebody so attached to 20th century technology. :)

It shows off very well the emblems on my planes that objectify women.:)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

RoyalFlyingCorps #4 Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15804 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I wish your monitor a very short life.

zen_monk_ #5 Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8392 battles
  • [__] __

To prolong the life of an old monitor (or anything old) use some of these stickers.

https://www.google.c...ih=1033&dpr=0.9

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

BravelyRanAway #6 Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4106 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 30 October 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

I wish your monitor a very short life.

I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the PETA band-wagon too, with regard to objectifying animals on the nose of planes.

There's lots of pointless things you can get worked up about on other peoples behalf.....you can be an unsung hero.

RoyalFlyingCorps #7 Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15804 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

Alternatively, I can be a beacon of common sense and others can remain pimply, spotty adolescents with (lack of) judgement to match, can’t they? 

Any boy referring to the issue of women’s rights as a “bandwagon” appears to belong firmly in that category.

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4106 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 01 November 2019 - 12:01 PM, said:

Alternatively, I can be a beacon of common sense and others can remain pimply, spotty adolescents with (lack of) judgement to match, can’t they? 

Any boy referring to the issue of women’s rights as a “bandwagon” appears to belong firmly in that category.

I very much doubt that you understand anything except your need to go into 'virtue signalling' mode on behalf of those of whom many(including many women) don't share your very conservative view, not all issues are simply black and white.

Edited by BravelyRanAway, 01 November 2019 - 06:43 PM.

Frateras #9 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 8851 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

The use of pin ups and other sexual triggers by men who are often in danger like soldiers are, might be a result of the mammals evolution as well as the increasing receptiveness of women in case of meeting them. The rise of procreation might be an advantage for the conservation of the species especially when one of the sexes is loosing a significant amount of members. :child: That would explain the romantic aspects of love and death as well.

Edited by Frateras, 04 November 2019 - 01:58 PM.

Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier

Discontinued #10 Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2551 battles

And this is why War is a positive thing,

not only does it spur on technological change it also keeps the population under control.

Modern medicine has a lot to answer for in the old days evolution took care of the weak and the inept and the otherwise inferior human, now these people freely reproduce the brightest and best produce less offspring as opposed to the semi literate obese type with more children than teeth.

Sometimes i dont even know if im being sarcastic or just a git!

By the way, nuff respect on the monitor repair i love this kind of thing

"May cause the explode problem"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users