• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

zen_monk_ #21 Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9873 battles
  • [__] __

View PostDhansak, on 04 November 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

However I am struggling with the Beaufighter and the SE 100. I am guessing that is because they really need to be played as what they are - HFs. I have only played a couple of games with each of them, so am very far from developing the right skill set for them!

A good starting point for learning HF playstyle is to pretend you're a battle observer - go where the action is, but stay high and on the edge of furball. "Let's see what those guys are doing down there... oh look, this one red just popped out of the melee, he's engaged with another plane, doesn't notice me. Now let's obliterate him in one pass and climb in a straight line - never losing speed or the direction - on the other side of the furball to observe some more."

Start with this, and you'll soon feel the right zoom&boom, how much you can deviate from a straight dive-shoot-and-climb.

Another good starting point for learning Heavies is "I've just been given a weird order - DO NOT engage with any lighter planes, go exclusively for bombers or ground attack planes." Fly high, try to figure out where his bombers will go, maintain speed & height, if the opportunity arises swoop down to destroy GAA in a single pass and immediately climb up high to catch his next bomber approach.

Edited by zen_monk_, 05 November 2019 - 08:04 AM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

unseen_strike #22 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 15654 battles
  • [LROLL] LROLL

View Postzen_monk_, on 05 November 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

A good starting point for learning HF playstyle is to pretend you're a battle observer - go where the action is, but stay high and on the edge of furball. "Let's see what those guys are doing down there... oh look, this one red just popped out of the melee, he's engaged with another plane, doesn't notice me. Now let's obliterate him in one pass and climb in a straight line - never losing speed or the direction - on the other side of the furball to observe some more."

Start with this, and you'll soon feel the right zoom&boom.

Agree:medal: 

Powered by Zen_Monk

Dhansak #23 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2402 battles

Thanks for the advice zen (and for your endorsement unseen_strike). I will try and adopt that mindset - very nicely described!

KlausHetti - I will strive to improve - even average will be an improvement for me. (To be clear I was saying that I was rubbish as a pilot - not the plane!)

Cheers all :)

Frateras #24 Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10250 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

View PostDhansak, on 04 November 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Hi Frateras

I'm afraid my experience won't be of much help - yet! I am a new player and most of my limited experience has been with aircraft that have good turning characteristics - typically low tier (1-4) multiroles and fighters. I didn't plan to go the heavy fighter route at all (slow turners) but decided to get as many (up to T5) UK planes as I could whilst they were at reduced prices (I think the event was called the UK March of Nations).

Consequently I managed to acquire the Fighter, Multirole and Heavy Fighter T5s. Now here is the interesting part; I played and enjoyed the T4 Fighter and MR and continued a similar play style with the T5 versions and got  the same fun (though get shot down more!). My T4->T5 experience with the Heavy line is different. I (to my surprise) really enjoyed the Blenheim F - I suspect that is because I was playing a little like a chunky MR (and got away with it). However I am struggling with the Beaufighter and the SE 100. I am guessing that is because they really need to be played as what they are - HFs. I have only played a couple of games with each of them, so am very far from developing the right skill set for them!

I will let you know how they perform when I am not rubbish! :)

I think it's wise to focus on the fighters and multiroles for a beginner. When I started to play here we got 1.9 a complete different game. It focused on the heavies because thy could be used to destroy bases and were much better to fly than attack planes. The Blenheim F was my favourite in T4 because it got four bombs. When they changed to 2.0 I've got good skills for the Blenheim F. So it's still a special plane for me. Shelter the engines, increase the maneuvrability,  focus the fire and strengthen the engines and you will have lots of fin with it as a turn and burn (if possible) or boom and zoom if needed. I think I will wait with this french plane. I simply got too many planes in the grind. Looking forward for a report of your experience when you've got it.

Edited by Frateras, 05 November 2019 - 11:26 AM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users