• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

zen_monk_ #21 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8403 battles
  • [__] __

View Postinvader_from_mars, on 07 November 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Ok Mr. Morality Keeper. Now go and save the Earth with your PC phrases. And all this in a game where you have to shoot down enemy planes :D:D priceless

ps: I wish you an eternal teammate: JARM***TOR

This was not PC crap but normal and rational view of all this thingy we're playing.

And Bravely was right on every point. There's not a single logically or factually wrong observation in his comment. I would be glad to discuss any of his points with you, to prove or disprove where he wronged. As it is now, you're simply ***hurt here as you are in the game.

If this was pay-for-play game, with "and you must perform up to the highest standards, you hear?" stipulated in EULA, you might stand some ground.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

invader_from_mars #22 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9809 battles

"you have nothing else in your life and that's sad"

"People like you have little understanding of the world around them"

"This game is not your game"

"because of  people like you"

"I doubt you even understand the meaning of the phrase"

"it's that person that has a problem"

"So, yes. Super Mario and Tetris would be better for you"

Any more insults? :popcorn:

ps: you won, im done here on this forum

Yes this is a rage quit:teethhappy:

Edited by invader_from_mars, 07 November 2019 - 08:41 AM.

zen_monk_ #23 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8403 battles
  • [__] __

View Postinvader_from_mars, on 07 November 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

This would be an insult indeed, but what he wrote is "I can see your point if you have nothing else in your life and that's sad". By selectively deleting the start of the sentence you turn his if-then into a blunt insult. And it was not.

Stands as a logical conclusion of you being unable to cope with presented facts about the variety of people and their conditions who might be joining this free-to-play, free-for-all game.

This would be an insult to you only if you're Viktor Kisil.

and so on and on...

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Ziptop #24 Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4488 battles

Who woulda guessed this thread would have filled itself with flame posts huh?

That was never my intention with the original post, but....there you go.

BravelyRanAway #25 Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4115 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postinvader_from_mars, on 07 November 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

"because of  people like you"

"I doubt you even understand the meaning of the phrase"

"it's that person that has a problem"

"So, yes. Super Mario and Tetris would be better for you"

Any more insults? :popcorn:

ps: you won, im done here on this forum

Yes this is a rage quit:teethhappy:

It is true to say that we are all shaped by the world we live in, be it real or digital and so too is our reaction to events.....real or digital. To claim otherwise be absurd, if it did not affect them, then players would not react with abuse in game. There is not a screenshot of me being abusive in game to anyone during or after the game and that is not because I'm 'PC'...it's because I don't know who they are, how old they are(game is PEGI 7), what type of life the lead or if they have problems, plus the point that it does not help them to rage at them. You catch more flies with honey.

I treat people very much the same online as I do in real life, hence why I don't use abuse in game or follow them to the garage to rage at them. I discuss things on a forum in the same manner as I would in real life, of course there are a few problems with this as what is missing from such interactions is tone and inflection, eye contact and facial expressions....that's why smilies were created but they're still lacking.

On top of that, I do like the game(specialization aside) and hope to see it grow despite it's player retention difficulties. All game producers understand that ingame abuse drives players away and that's not because humans are fragile, it's because most are brought up to be civil to other people and follow some rules, and that's how we get along in vast numbers(most of the time). 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

levlos #26 Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

Oh cmon guys,

I think we all pretty much agree on the key points, and merely disagree on the amount of frustration the game dishes upon us.

"it is only a game" only gets you that far. Of course we all know it is a game -I don't think anyone really shoots himself with morphine when his pilot gets hurt, or uses a real fire extinguisher when flames lick the fuselage.

Games are here because you want to have fun, without any real consequences -that is the very definition of gaming.

But fun is a serious matter too. I should bloody know it, I am a game designer, and I think about fun the whole day. How the people who play my game will have it, how they will have it, how to dose it and how to make it last just enough. We play to have fun, and some of us don't have much time or want to have enough fun to forget the responsabilities and issues plaguing us. And if someone spoils our fun, we get upset, rightly so. WoWp is a team game, where teams are random. People have an astonishgly-super-incredibly wide range of skills -the shock is to see they might repeteadly play a game they thoroughly suck at (look at me, I like singing, but don't come to hear me in my shower!). Are they trying ? Does it matter ? Of course the people who suck will still play, and of course you will get upset (amount varies, see your phycisian if you have foam exciting your mouth) if your team mates play absurdly poorly.

All those things are to be expected. What should be hilighted to the poor bastards struggling to register more than 100 damage in their tier VI is that the tier system is designed to teach the game. I often type in the hangar "play lower tiers and then come back". That could be understood as an offence, but I don't mean it that way.

Little anecdote to show my age.
In the late 90s, I was playing a lot of Starcraft. We were a group of friends, from all ages and social backgrounds. When teams were forming, some members were always trying to get the best players on their team by telling them to join first. That was the "top" team. The others were part of the "bottom" team. The bottom team had about 80% chances to loose, all the time. There was this one guy, called "hemo" (-globin) who was always in the bottom team, and we almost always lost. I went to his place once, he was a very nice guy, funny and all. I proposed to see him play a little game. And was instantly horrified. He was issuing all his orders in the game by clicking with the mouse. He clicked on a unit, moved the cursor, clicked on an order, and then moved the mouse again to the target of the order. Then selected another single unit, and did the same. We all used keyboard shortcuts and could on average issue orders about 10-15 times faster than him. But there was Hemo, a very large joint lit up on his left hand, his other hand lazily trying to follow the units and issuing about 1 order every 4 seconds. Small wonder he always lost. He was playing the game his way, and was quite satisfied with it -he could not play it any other way. Then he gave beer to his cat, and the cat got drunk and it started moving sideways and knocking his head ont he walls but I disgress.

Thing is, he always sucked, nobody wanted to play with him in the same team, but that did not bother him at all. He played the game on his terms. He was having fun.

Bottom line: don't give beer to your cat, and try some lethal dose of empathy for the poor sod that enjoys having his tail on fire all the time. Remind him/her of the tier system. Can't do much more.

L.

Edited by levlos, 07 November 2019 - 09:44 AM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

RoyalFlyingCorps #27 Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15922 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I’m not prejudiced.  I hate everybody equally.

BravelyRanAway #28 Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4115 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 07 November 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

I’m not prejudiced.  I hate everybody equally.

:teethhappy:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

Mad_Mike_Hoare #29 Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

Senior Airman

• 7859 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
On the subject of "Ignore" (two cents & etc.) - and fortunately speaking for myself, I don't see it that often in WoWPs.

Game last week.  3 (presumably) real people on the team - (IIRC) a 109E who seems to know what he's doing:  me, a Hs129A who likes to think he knows what he's doing, and a wee chap in a Polycrapov late model, who finishes with less PP than most of the bots, but spends the entire game telling everybody (i.e. mostly bots) what to do...

Out of sympathy for a fellow human being, I'd rather not see that.  I just feel ashamed for that person.  It's like being in the queue at the supermarket and the technically "Grown-Up" in front of you is demanding to see the manager 'cos the contents of the Lego Blind Bag he just bought is not the character he wanted.

It's less about "Rage" in such a situation I feel.  And it would be nice just to be able to Ignore.

---

At one point he even tried shooting me down for not doing "What I was Told"...  and despite all the tracers and rocketry, did my HP almost no harm at all.

"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

Emtod #30 Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4380 battles
  • [FEED] FEED

This is a game and all players claim they are playing for fun. I agree fully with that and everyone should have fun playing the game.

Bad players expect that everyone respects that they have their fun - i do respect this. But in the same manner i expect from those people the same respect for me to have my fun.

The point is: In a teambased MMOPG everyone has to be aware that the fun of the other players depends also on the own playing style.

If someone use a bot like JARM***TOR or play on higher tiers worse than bots then my gaming experience is impaired, no matter in which team this player is.

Doing this, this people show no respect to me having my fun. So why should i respect their "right" of having fun?

(Sorry for my bad english - but this is not my native language)

AngryTotalEgal #31 Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

Senior Airman

• 11617 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

I totally agree with you Emtod. Plus  the game  and the players reward you if you play as expected and because of your action to win a battle. If one still wants to destroy ground targets with his fighter, he can do this all day long in training room. I really enjoy battles where I see everyone did his task.

I also trained on low tier until I was able to be above all bots (most of the time) before going up in tier. That is my respect for the other players so that they also get payed with materials. And I do it with every battle. Also if I know I have a bad day or headache or a slow ping, I stop playing. 

Edited by AngryTotalEgal, 08 November 2019 - 07:04 PM.

Ensign_Steel #32 Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Tester
  • 1856 battles
  • [-TPS-] -TPS-

"Pfft, team play? Who cares about team play when I can have my fun by attacking ground targets with a fighter whee!!"

Of course people are gonna react negatively if you don't even try pulling your weight or working with your team in a game like this. I understand that some might not like getting called a poopy head when they're just "having fun" and ruining other people's experience at the same time. In a wannabe competitive game like this, tempers will be running hot and some not very nice words will be exchanged. "Sticks and stones" apparently doesn't mean anything in today's society for some reason.

Now, I've pitched this several times before and I'm pitching it again - games like these should have a "hide stats" option to lessen the saltiness. I wouldn't give two bowel movements about whether I win or lose if every win, loss, damaged target, getting shot down or every damn time you pass gas wasn't recorded in the stats, just so that some know-it-all can start picking them apart in IMs after a loss.

Actually, that option might get me flying something else than LF's.

Edited by Ensign_Steel, 09 November 2019 - 08:40 AM.

Franco_Scala, on 15 June 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

You can't have your cake and have [whopee] with it

Discontinued #33 Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:59 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2551 battles

View PostEnsign_Steel, on 09 November 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

"Pfft, team play? Who cares about team play when I can have my fun by attacking ground targets with a fighter whee!!"

Of course people are gonna react negatively if you don't even try pulling your weight or working with your team in a game like this. I understand that some might not like getting called a poopy head when they're just "having fun" and ruining other people's experience at the same time. In a wannabe competitive game like this, tempers will be running hot and some not very nice words will be exchanged. "Sticks and stones" apparently doesn't mean anything in today's society for some reason.

Now, I've pitched this several times before and I'm pitching it again - games like these should have a "hide stats" option to lessen the saltiness. I wouldn't give two bowel movements about whether I win or lose if every win, loss, damaged target, getting shot down or every damn time you pass gas wasn't recorded in the stats, just so that some know-it-all can start picking them apart in IMs after a loss.

Actually, that option might get me flying something else than LF's.

Well i go to mining plants with a fighter all the time!

you can actually win games doing this, but only if you have enough Panache 

But looking at what others have said and from a philosophical point of view stats say something rather interesting.

In real life people develop tactics to hide their buffoonery by force of personality or tactics such as pretending they forgot their glasses when in reality they are illiterate. Or simply delegating  or asking for a favour.

I'm pretty sure we've all seen the Nincompoops in traffic or shopping centres who simply find navigating their way around taxes their brain CPU to 90%

What stats show in my opinion is an ability to learn, if you have 38% wins with 6k battles its a pretty clear indicator of an inability or unwillingness to learn.

we only see these people briefly as they tend to pass us by i think we need stats for people in real life too.

I know Zen hates stats, as do I but. I find this not only fascinating but rather amusing too. I work for the second largest employer in the world after the Chinese army. Hint. I am constantly amased at the stupidity i see around me and have to "Downsplain" everything to my colleagues even the most basic conversation leaves people puzzled because i use long words or reference popular culture.

"May cause the explode problem"

levlos #34 Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4248 battles
  • [-IRON] -IRON

My son, who is 9, often wants to give up when faced with difficult exercises in his homework.

I tell him not to give up, persevere a little. I tell him that if we, as a species, did not persevere, we would still be using charcoal mixed with saliva or animal fat to paint the wall caverns. He overcomes the initial challenge and mostly succeeds.

I sometimes tell myself it is not that people have no brains. They do. Hominins have overcome tremendous challenges with the use of their grey matter. Some people just choose not to use their brains.

Being conscious is tiring.

If you want to read about that last idea, please, read the short novel in the link below (gutenberg link, so it is completely legal). It is a SF short by Clifford Simak, and I still remember when I read it about 25 years ago. It is called "The World that couldn't be". In my opinion one of the finest of its genre.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32026/32026-h/32026-h.htm

Edited by levlos, 09 November 2019 - 12:12 PM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

RoyalFlyingCorps #35 Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15922 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

“The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it.”

— Peter Medawar

Ziptop #36 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 4488 battles

View PostDiscontinued, on 09 November 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

Well i go to mining plants with a fighter all the time!

you can actually win games doing this, but only if you have enough Panache 

Shhhhhh. Don't tell the world that secret sector winning points are awarded for performing artful aerobatics with "panache"

Ziptop #37 Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 4488 battles

View Postlevlos, on 09 November 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

My son, who is 9, often wants to give up when faced with difficult exercises in his homework.

I tell him not to give up, persevere a little. 

exactly

Discontinued #38 Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2551 battles

View PostZiptop, on 09 November 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

Shhhhhh. Don't tell the world that secret sector winning points are awarded for performing artful aerobatics with "panache"

I wont even tell them about the inverted trick either, anyone seeing this keep it under your hat :hiding:

Edited by Discontinued, 09 November 2019 - 04:37 PM.

"May cause the explode problem"

Mad_Mike_Hoare #39 Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

Senior Airman

• 7859 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postlevlos, on 09 November 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

I sometimes tell myself it is not that people have no brains. They do. Hominins have overcome tremendous challenges with the use of their grey matter. Some people just choose not to use their brains.

Being conscious is tiring.

There it is. 

I find the concept of England Hypothesis simultaneously fascinating and disturbing...  :(

"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

Frateras #40 Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:38 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 8853 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
In case of several defeats on a row just change tier and don't blame the MM and other players for. There a so many handicaps possible ... no one can judge it. Let's hope for the duel mode or a clan mode.

Das einzig Gefährliche am Fliegen ist die Erde.

Wilbur Wright (1867 - 1912), US-amerikanischer Flugpionier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users