Grumpy Old Man, Looking (tentatively) for a Clan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mad_Mike_Hoare #1 Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Senior Airman

• 7724 battles
(Might waffle, apologies in advance...)

I've been *enjoying* this game for some time.  The experience of WoT, shall we say, provoked me to be dubious of the Community...  However (7000 odd Flights later!) - this is something better.  And I feel something where WG have got *A Lot* right.

Anyway:

My stats are probably bloody awful.  Don't really care, I play for fun.  I seem to have spent a considerable time meddling with the sort of mid-tiers WWII stuff, which I enjoy...  but...

Thinking towards *actually joining in* and to some extent playing the T9 and T10 stuff I've acquired along the way, but not really played so much.   Although lately I'm leaning that way.

Despite being an intolerable Luddite, I can do "Chat" & Discord n' such.  Normally I can do this in between the periods of:

New headset from ebay has been delivered - Kids have destroyed new headset from ebay...  <sigh>

I normally play in the mornings (GMT).  Generally speaking; While I am keen to play at any hour I'm available...   aircraft tend to pull strange manoeuvers not of my choosing when the little ******s are stealing all of the bandwidth for ******g Minecraft.

So there we are.
"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

Grumpy_Guts #2 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 8277 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Playing for fun, is there any other way !!!!

Look us up come have a chat see what you think.

Happy Hunting

Mad_Mike_Hoare #3 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Senior Airman

• 7724 battles

Thanks buddy, I will do that!

(When I've the time and the infrastructure...  next time the wee men are off for a sleepover perhaps?   :D <sigh>)

"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

RoyalFlyingCorps #4 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15297 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
I hope ye mean the bairns and not dwarfs you keep for purposes not to be mentioned on forum.

Discontinued #5 Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2471 battles

Nice name by the way, Mike...

I actually knew someone that "served" with Mad Mike Hoare

Stats mean nowt!

"May cause the explode problem"

Mad_Mike_Hoare #6 Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

Senior Airman

• 7724 battles
Thanks.  TBH I changed it recently from something that was a bit... (long story) no longer appropriate/appreciated...  something like that.  And I was all out of inspiration, but for that book by the real Mr Hoare of his exploits in the Congo, which I very much enjoyed.

Must have been some stories to tell, I reckon.

And yes, as long as I'm comfortable with my enjoyment of the game - that's all that matters to me really...

Discontinued #7 Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2471 battles

Yes my friend Steve Dearlove who sadly passed away a few years ago, was a commandant with Mr Hoare in the Congo , Steve was previously  an instructor in the Queens regiment in the royal marines, which later became the SBS, before the cuts came in the 60's and his unit was disbanded. Without much else to do he joined up or was headhunted by Mr Hoare...

He was friends with my best mates dad and, as kids we used to look at the scars on his back and wonder what these craters where, we knew he was ex military but, when I was around 17 and in the tank cadets Steve told me what these scars where; He was one of the only survivors of Mr Hoares originals, due to being cut down by a mortar shell. He was evacuated by the red cross and then woke up in Belgium hospital only to be told he was under arrest .

He promptly did a runner to Finland which at the time had no real expedition laws as it had not joined the EEC.Also its a great place to go if you don't like people, as its still practically empty. You should see rush hour in Helsinki!

Coincidentally he lived in Mikelli, which is close to where my Mum lived at the time, just before she came to England to work as an Au pair for the Small Faces. I remember Steve speaking to my mum in really broken Finnish as a kid it seemed weird to hear Yorkshire accented Finnish being butchered!

Eventually he returned to the UK and served time for manslaughter as being a mercenary was rather a naughty thing to do!

Whilst inside he learnt to play the guitar 

Steve then became a session musician, which is how he was friends with my best mates dad. looking at him, you would never guess this long haired bases guitarist was such a hardnut. His claim to fame was he played the session bass on the Mr Blobby song.....He said you cant turn down that kinda money he said!

I've always been into shooting and guns in general and I remember asking Mr Dearlove about it, he said "shooting's only fun when someone else shoots back"

and his other quote where "don't vote for politicians, you'll only encourage them" and my favourite "religion is a sign of a primitive mind" Judging by the amount of death he had seen i'm not surprised he had this attitude.

Well your stats are pretty good to be honest = above average 55% is pretty good. Mine is only higher becase i only have 10 planes which are all horribly OP!

"May cause the explode problem"

Mad_Mike_Hoare #8 Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

Senior Airman

• 7724 battles
Now that chap had a colourful life, eh?  His quotes I almost fully approve of, "religion is a sign of a primitive mind" with the exception of being shot at...  :)  - we're no longer permitted to make loud noises in the UK, so it's about thirty years since I did, but I understand your passion.

Stats, I look at them from time to time and wonder if it's related to the number of battles and such.  Pondering that usually ends with a shrug and no desire to reach a conclusion.

I have this problem whereby...  I've reached a point where I feel like I should stick at a particular plane that I prefer/enjoy (or just a few planes) and try to *really* improve..  and then I'll see someone doing smart things with one  I don't have and think...  "Yeah I need that!"  It's not helping :D

Edited by Mad_Mike_Hoare, 10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users