Bolt Action?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Mad_Mike_Hoare #1 Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Senior Airman

• 7860 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Just curious as to if there are any fellow Bolt Actioners around the place?

"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

Discontinued #2 Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:53 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2681 battles

Yes but a different Kind

I just got this baby a few months back and fitted a scope it took around 2k rounds to bed in the barrel and is now a complete tack driver.

i just love .22 rimfire so much, I sold off all my large calibre guns... I mean do I really need a .308/7.62 to shoot at a piece of paper?

"May cause the explode problem"

Mad_Mike_Hoare #3 Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

Senior Airman

• 7860 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Nice!

Been many years since I last enjoyed such a thing :(

"You ought to have heard him recite poetry—his own, too, it was, he told me. Poetry!"

Scaleop123 #4 Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

Airman Basic

• 13 battles

View PostDiscontinued, on 10 November 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

Yes but a different Kind

I just got this baby a few months back and fitted a scope it took around 2k rounds to bed in the barrel and is now a complete tack driver.

i just love .22 rimfire so much, I sold off all my large calibre guns... I mean do I really need a .308/7.62 to shoot at a piece of paper?

This is a European forum and the majority of people in Europe does not own any guns and if then no bolt action rifles.

That being said..

I work in Switzerland so I have the chance to go shooting whenever I am there, although I do not own anything more than an air rifle myself, I am pretty solid on what I am choosing for shooting drills.

My favourites: AR15 ( love the low recoil ), SIG P210 (I had my best performances with this pistol), otherwise any revolver using .38, needs a bit of training but the punch is worth it, even accept the pain in my hand for a week or two from shooting that kind of calibre for 2 hours.

The bolt action rifle you got there seems pretty nice, although I prefer wood design in firearms a little more. Have you ever shot a PSG-1?

Frateras #5 Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:28 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10252 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
i never shot a gun and I'm not curious about. What I hate is that any idiot of a criminal can buy one. 

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

Discontinued #6 Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 2681 battles

View PostScaleop123, on 07 December 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

This is a European forum and the majority of people in Europe does not own any guns and if then no bolt action rifles.

That being said..

I work in Switzerland so I have the chance to go shooting whenever I am there, although I do not own anything more than an air rifle myself, I am pretty solid on what I am choosing for shooting drills.

My favourites: AR15 ( love the low recoil ), SIG P210 (I had my best performances with this pistol), otherwise any revolver using .38, needs a bit of training but the punch is worth it, even accept the pain in my hand for a week or two from shooting that kind of calibre for 2 hours.

The bolt action rifle you got there seems pretty nice, although I prefer wood design in firearms a little more. Have you ever shot a PSG-1?

Surprisingly in the UK which arguably has some of the most stringent firearms laws in the world there are over 3 million shotgun/firearms certificate holders.In parts of Europe such as Finland there is also a high level of gun ownership, all of my family over there have at least one gun in the house,

I myself have 3 rilfes and a shotgun one is a semi automatic Ruger 1022 in .22lr with a 12 inch carbon wrap barrel and silencer  and the CZ455 pictured above also in .22lr and an Anschutz Model 54 match rifle which was a spare for the British Olympic team in 1976 also in .22lr

I used to have .38 rilfes and pistols as well as a 7.62 long range target/sporting rifle but as time progressed and my wallet contracted as did my time i switched to small bore (.22) rifles as i no longer hunt and only make holes in paper.

Many parts of southern Europe also have surprisingly relaxed gun laws, too although each country has its own quirks such as Cyprus where anyone can own a smoothbore/shotgun but rifled weapons are prohibited. The Swiss have the most relaxed laws in the EU with the exception of the Isle of man where even Full auto machine guns are legal to posses.

I too prefer wooden stocked rifles and shotguns but I'm very hard on weapons and they often get scratched or dented which pains me, I restored a beautiful walnut stock and put 8 coats of oil on the walnut only to drop the rifle upon getting it out of the safe and put a horrendous scrape on the foregrip. after that i decided synthetic stocks although ugly they don't look horrible when scratched

View PostFrateras, on 07 December 2019 - 11:28 PM, said:

i never shot a gun and I'm not curious about. What I hate is that any idiot of a criminal can buy one. 

This is true, after many years as a range conducting officer you instinctively know the sound of a .38 revolver being fired, living in East London I also heard this noise emanating from the neighborhood. late at night obviously illegal. But at least criminals are getting some practice rather than just spraying bullets at hitting innocent bystanders!

There are many misconceptions and preconceived opinions about shooting and the shooting community as a hole, unfortunately the Americans with their gun obsession and massacres spoil it for the more moderate and sensible community to just see this as a hobby and not a means of self defense.

I urge you to try shooting whether its airguns, archery or firearms as it is a very Zen like sport and very meditative.

zen_monk_ #7 Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9890 battles
  • [__] __

Since you mention Zen and meditative, this is my thing.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Discontinued #8 Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 2681 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 11 December 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Since you mention Zen and meditative, this is my thing.

Yes my shooting buddy got a Petron bow. I was instantly addicted, knowing me i would have gotten way too into to it, I was looking at getting a Korean Horse Bow and started to spend lots on tune ups, gloves  and triggers and having so many other hobbies, i just had to walk away because i liked it so much! if i couldn't shoot bang bangs I'd be Archery-ing all the time.

One day i hope to give up work then i maybe able to indulge!

Why is work such workish I just wish we didn't have to be economic slaves and this is why cats and dogs are indeed cleverer than stoopid humans :)

Edited by Discontinued, 11 December 2019 - 01:30 PM.

BravelyRanAway #9 Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4750 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostDiscontinued, on 11 December 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

There are many misconceptions and preconceived opinions about shooting and the shooting community as a hole

And that doesn't help.....:hiding:...........:teethhappy:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

unseen_strike #10 Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 15654 battles
  • [LROLL] LROLL
In my life, long time ago, when I was on the army, I used M1 Garand Rifle (BM49), FAL and MG42, all 7,62 Nato caliber. In a year I used them too much so, after that period I don't want use army at all. But I like see and study rifles and similar