• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Aimless #21 Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 4140 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDhansak, on 29 November 2019 - 12:24 AM, said:

Yikes - the 262 sounds ...erm ... entertaining?  :)

Entertaining? For sure! Successful or at least sufficient? Oh well, it mainly depends on the situation. I love this plane! But love generally means also moments of disappointment and pain. :hiding:

Dhansak #22 Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

Hi All

Back in the pilot seat again at last! Been playing with my T5 fighters (KI and Zero Japanese and US P40)  - ready for the T6 Spitfire - will buy when I have more funds.

Am still trying out other lines to see what they are like. Having a lot of fun with the T4 USSR GA - will definitely carry on with that line and see how it goes. Have yet to try bombers though.

I now have 2 T5 HFs - the UK Beaufighter and the US P38-F. I have had the former for awhile but hadn't got my skillset right so hadn't played as much. A  bit circular - poor skills -> poor results -> play it less -> poor skills stay poor! Anyway, just tried out (the completely stock) P38-F. I think it's the worst I have flown in any plane lol. Even switched to Joystick for better control - bad results though - I have no situational awareness at all - it wasn't pretty.... I thought I'd try the Beaufighter again after that experience just to see how it went in another HF. Weirdly I managed to control it a lot better.

So am happy with my fighter line(s); enjoying GA (hope it stays fun in tiers higher than 4) and struggling with the Heavies. I have taken advice here and watched much Youtube. I have a vague notion of what I should be doing at a basic level but can't get the planes to do it. I have a strong suspicion it is because I haven't got the hang of their energy management yet! 

My poor Multiroles have taken a back seat for now - will return to them when i finally etablish some sort of a handle on HFs!

KlausHetti #23 Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14368 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
That's fun ... I had the same experiance when I tried the P-38F. One of the worst planes ....
After I got some heavies in high tiers and many battles in tier IV battles I did a retry with the P-38F.
You should try that,too! The P-38F will feel much better than!  

Morgen ist heute schon gestern! 

Dhansak #24 Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

KluasHetti - ahh - it's not just me then!   I will have to try out the tier 4  Bf 110B that zen_monk_ suggested earlier in this thread - see if I can sort myself out :)

zen_monk_ #25 Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9492 battles
  • [__] __

View PostDhansak, on 04 December 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

KluasHetti - ahh - it's not just me then!   I will have to try out the tier 4  Bf 110B that zen_monk_ suggested earlier in this thread - see if I can sort myself out :)

Here's a starting game you should try, seriously: imagine you're a cadet and were given an assignment. "Your mission is to never go below 1,500 m and do not engage any LFs, Multis, anything that needs going down and turning. Stay between 1,500 and 2,500, fly not loosing your boost and try to figure out where the enemy bombers will go. Chase only bombers, try to make them score 0 points. Pick other HFs only if you don't have to deviate much in direction or altitude. You are allowed to go down on the deck only when there's a lone Ground Attacker with no fighter cover, and you must have all boost in reserve to climb up and intercept those two respawned bombers."

Once you master this, you'll know when and how to break the above given rules.

Works for all HFs as a starter.

Edited by zen_monk_, 03 December 2019 - 11:28 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Dhansak #26 Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

Thanks zen_monk_ ! I like it!

Will try my cadet mission tomorrow :)

KlausHetti #27 Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14368 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

@ zen_monk :honoring:

@ Dhansak ...  try it ind tell us what was your experiance! :coin:

Edited by KlausHetti, 31 December 2019 - 11:05 AM.

Morgen ist heute schon gestern! 

GonerNL #28 Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11929 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 04 December 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Works for all HFs as a starter.

Starter ? More like a strategy to keep ... It's the only way I make points in planes like the XP-58. 

Only with more maneuverable heavies like Blenheim, Beaufighter and Ki-45 I dare to go low ... good reargunner also helps.

Dhansak #29 Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

Hey Guys

Still working my way to the T4 German Heavy. Am on T3 at the moment - will take me awhile as there are 3 planes that can be researched and I like to get everything unlocked before I move on.

Will report back when I begin my cadet HF missions on the T4, I tried on the T3 but it is too forgiving if I break the rules! I promise to be disciplined with the T4 when I get it :)

0berhessen #30 Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 5484 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostDhansak, on 05 December 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

Hey Guys

Still working my way to the T4 German Heavy. Am on T3 at the moment - will take me awhile as there are 3 planes that can be researched and I like to get everything unlocked before I move on.

Will report back when I begin my cadet HF missions on the T4, I tried on the T3 but it is too forgiving if I break the rules! I promise to be disciplined with the T4 when I get it :)

The german Tier 3 Heavy Focke-Wulff is not so bad - but the Bf110 B is much more enjoyable - just my 2 cent.

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

Dhansak #31 Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

Hi again all - hope you are having a good festive break.

I have been flying my T4 German heavy as per my "cadet mission" suggested by zen_monk. Wow - that has really helped get a feel for initial flying of heavies - thank you very much for the suggested approach to learning :)

I now usually get some grade of heavy fighter rating (had several grade 3s) and I no longer feel like I'm totally floundering. I even do much better in the US P38F. Obviously it's different to the German T4 but I fly it using the same principles and am doing much better in it. However I still struggle a bit in the Beaufighter - it seems to lack the speed and altitude capablities of the other 2. I get better results if I treat it as a fat multirole though - don't know if I am missing the point of that aircraft! I fly it with bombs etc now - I never do that with the other heavy fighters.

I have purchased but not flown the T5 German HF - am looking forward to that. Whilst things were cheaper in the sales, I also bought (but also have not yet flown) the Mosquito, Tornado, P51-A and the IL-2(t)- oh also the 2 T6 Japanese fighters. I am going to have a lot of fun when I get to them later in January!

With the way things are going so far, I plan to continue (in a leisurely way) down the UK and Japanese Fighter lines, the Russian GA line and the German Heavy line. So far I enjoy these the most. I do enjoy the P38 F now and hope the p38J will be similar. However not sure how I'll be with the Pancake! Having said that I really don't know how I'll do with the T8 Me262 - from what I've read the guns aren't a smooth transition.

I was hoping to treat myself to a T8 premium for Xmas - but I think I'll wait to see what I enjoy in T6. I gather that's a reasonable way to predict whether you may enjoy a particular T8. I was reading http://forum.worldof...-sale/#topmost  which seemed quite informative.

Just wanted to keep you posted - thanks again for all the help and input.

Cheers for now :)

RoyalFlyingCorps #32 Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17144 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
If you're in a heavy at tier 5, 6 or 7 feel free to ignore any British Mustangs at your altitude.  I shall gratefully accept your hit points as I shoot you down. ;)

paradigmshift #33 Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4546 battles

View PostDhansak, on 03 December 2019 - 04:19 PM,  

Anyway, just tried out (the completely stock) P38-F. I think it's the worst I have flown in any plane lol. Even switched to Joystick for better control - bad results though - I have no situational awareness at all - it wasn't pretty.

View PostKlausHetti, on 03 December 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

That's fun ... I had the same experiance when I tried the P-38F. One of the worst planes ....
After I got some heavies in high tiers and many battles in tier IV battles I did a retry with the P-38F.
You should try that,too! The P-38F will feel much better than!  

The P-38F and P-38J are very much a high flyer even though they have rockets/bombs. When you are low you are vulnerable to turn fighters but when high your prey is bombers and less manoeuvrable HF. As a stock plane you need the big gun 20-37mm for low moving targets. If you add the Special option to increase the firing rate you can get good results.  If you have clear space around then GAA are also easy prey but remember to gain altitude asap once you have your kill. Ground attack with rockets/bombs at the start when you are with other team members and not in a dog fight situation. Or again if you are in clear space get down quick and unload  on GTs but remember you may waste your time if no one else on your team goes for cap there. 

Dhansak #34 Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

RoyalFlyingCorps - you are welcome to my hit points! - but as I am a generous soul you will have to join the queue of pilots on my tail having a good chow down :)

paradigmshift - thanks for the advice - that is indeed the approach I am trying to take now and it's working well. In fact I don't ever equip ground ordnance on my heavies any more (other than the Beaufighter). I have got the 37mm gun now and stay high 95% of the time. Rarely I will drop down for a lone GA if a sector is under threat, but as you say it it is sometimes not the best use of time. I think I've got the basic principles sorted out now that I no longer engage things with my turn and burn light fighter mentality that I initially carried with me when flying heavies. Just need to get better at applying the principles now!

By the way I find I like the 37mm gun a lot - I adpated to it a lot quicker than I thought I would. I am now considering getting an XP58 premium as an Xmas present! I have another thread going asking about T7 vs T8 premiums in which my brain gradually unravels as I try and decide what if anything to buy lol.

GonerNL #35 Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11929 battles

I only have three tier VIII premiums (on 3 servers/accounts), the P-80, XP-58 and Seafang.

The XP-58 is probably my best buy, it is a great money- and point-maker. But I have to fly it very 'disciplined'.

But if you really want a tier 7/8 for 'daily missions' you would need a more versatile plane, I guess ...

Edited by GonerNL, 02 January 2020 - 03:00 PM.

Dhansak #36 Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

GonerNL - I am really enjoying My XP-58. I thought i had a bit of discipline but - hangs head in shame - zen_monk_ caught me messing about with fighters at low level today. Needless to say it didn't go well! Anyway, my excuse for such lack of discipline was I had gone stir crazy after playing with  a new stock GAA for too long. Got in the XP-58 and weee! Will treat it better from now on :)

For proper T8 dailies, I will work up through the tech tree to something at T8 that can do ground attack - should give me a reasonable go at the missions. Having said that, I got my first ever daily mission token today - air target based - yay!

zen_monk_ :  I tried to say hello and have a chat, but I've only ever used the function keys in chat; by the time I figured out how to talk to you, the game had ended. I have put my cadet badge back on :)

zen_monk_ #37 Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9492 battles
  • [__] __

:)

Yep mate, two big no-nos combined into the third, even bigger one: What in the name of all that's holly were you doing a) low & slow, b) in a turning fight and c) all this over an enemy base heavily infested with light fighters?! :teethhappy:

Still, it was nice seeing you, and you did well :honoring: Fly safe!

Dhansak #38 Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

zen_monk_ : yep - that describes it perfectly! The cause was a lack of discipline plus I got target focussed to the extent I was surprised to see where I had ended up! Doh. Double Doh. Actually - as you point out - Triple Doh!

Planning ahead a bit - I gather from other forum posts that the rate of fire mod for the guns is the way to go rather than the range extension? My Pilot has MM1 and is one point away from MM2 skill. Also I was thinking of put on a mod for the engine that helps boost efficiency - but there seems to be a school of thought that favours engine thrust or light engine for manoeuverability.  Hmmm - can't guess on that one. Also was thinking of putting a manoeuvering mod on the airframe - or does polished skin make more sense?

Somehow I have a level 3 Ultimate Gyroscopic Sight in my depot - must have got it from a mission I guess. I figure that will go nicely on the cockpit equipment slot.

As always - all input appreciated :)

zen_monk_ #39 Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9492 battles
  • [__] __

View PostDhansak, on 02 January 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

- I gather from other forum posts that the rate of fire mod for the guns is the way to go rather than the range extension? My Pilot has MM1 and is one point away from MM2 skill.

Yes and yes. Absolutely.

Whatever you do with the rest is up to you.

Dhansak #40 Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2296 battles

Great - thank you :) 

Will pop on the sight and the RoF mod for now and see how the rest falls after I have some more experience to work with. Cheers!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users