Let's talk about: Soviet Multi Roles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mariu #1 Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha Tester
  • 4208 battles
  • [SITH] SITH

Like the title says I thought of getting the forums impressions on the soviet multi roles. For me it was after getting killed by a sniper bot once to often that made me jump into the line. I will start with the Yak-7, as this gets the line/play style started. Also I don't have the I-260 but it looks like a funny gun setup, Mig-9 with a monster gun. :bajan:

Yak-7 - It has everything a multi-role needs and is a good starting plane into the line, it get's a boom-guns with range and has 2x12.7mm for the dakka dakka, also some ok rockets. I kept them because it's only -1 on speed and the ability to attack ground targets is never bad for a multi role.

Yak-9 - For me I didn't like it. I was not impressed with the 2 guns setup and so I grinded it out as fast as I could with the stock guns to get to the 9U. This is also something I didn't like on the Yak-1. Maybe I missed something with the 45mm, but it didn't felt like worthwhile the XP for me to grind up to it. And from my point of view if the 45 doesn't kill/cripple the target, you are in trouble with only the one 12.7mm. And without any ordnance to make up for this, I noped out hard and fast.:hiding:

Yak-9U - Sooooo... I think this is the highlight of the line. As I did most of the fighter grind before, I had quite a bit unlocked already, so I entered the game with the 1x37mm and the 2x20mm. Which made the plane feel like a slower I-250. The guns setup on this is good it's like the jump from the Yak-1M to the Yak-3. The big gun will give the boom and if something is left you can clean it up with the 2x20mm. When you get the 45mm, it starts to get even better, since now you get range. :trollface: If it's a good hit, it will one shot a light fighter or cripple it, so you can finish it with the small guns or somebody else can. Only complain I have on this plane, no ordnance! But I kept it, after unlocking the Su-9.

Su-9 - Made me feel like I was flying a Me262 (well it looks like one...) but with a Yak-9U gun setup and with missing performance in speed/altitude. The 2x23mm and the 1x45mm are a nice combination and I quite enjoyed it in the end. Also finally bombs again! I played it the same way as the 9U, with the bombs for the ground kills.

I-211 - Feels even more like a Me262 with the 3x37mm setup only that the guns overheats even faster then on the Me262 (3/4 shots) and doesn't have the speed/altitude. I jumped the middle 37mm and went straight for the NN-37 which was a pleased surprise I have to say. The extra range works good and the shell velocity is better then from the N-37. I dropped the bombs to get the bit of extra speed after mounting the NN-37. It still doesn't one-shot any plane but normally a figther/multi-role will be gone if you hit with 2/3 shots.

I-215 - Haven't unlocked it yet. But from what I can see it will keeps the spirit of the line. A lot for me would depend on the 2x57mm overheating/shell velocity.

Honourable mention: LaGG-3(4) - is a solid plane with a strange guns setup which somehow works quite good. :child: The rockets work ok on ground targets. The only complan I have here is that acceleration is not good and the plane can stall quite easily when the climb is to steep.

Added:

I-260 - This is a faster Su-9 with better altitude and a even bigger gun from the loose of the bombs and some maneuverability. So basiclly what I criticised on the Su-9 with some cut backs. And I have to say I am liking it, with the bit of extra speed and altitude you can now go a ruin the day of some bombers. And oh boy when the 57mm hits, it does hit. One-shoting a zero never felt so good. :playing: Thought the 57mm overheats quite quick, but this is reasonable/kinda expected for the punch it packs. In the end it's not the best T8 premium but if you like the russian snipers, go for it.

Edited by Mariu, 23 February 2020 - 07:01 PM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #2 Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17144 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

The I-215 is probably the best in that line, in my opinion.  Once you have a good gunsight and the MMI + MMII skills it can absolutely obliterate an attack on a sector without being engaged.  It's fairly manoeuvrable too, though you'd never take it dogfighting.

The LaGG-3(4) is more than solid.  It's very strong.

ThinderChief #3 Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

View PostMariu, on 04 January 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yak-7 - It has everything a multi-role needs and is a good starting plane into the line, it get's a boom-guns with range and has 2x12.7mm for the dakka dakka, also some ok rockets. I kept them because it's only -1 on speed and the ability to attack ground targets is never bad for a multi role.

Agreed, this aircraft has a lot of qualities, good gun, good engine, good turning radius but you need the top upgrades to really feel the difference.

Edited by ThinderChief, 23 January 2020 - 05:27 AM.

apartclassic #4 Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 23094 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

As a line, this is a very non-meta route. It's a difficult line to play, but very satisfying when things work out. There's a reason why they are reffered to as 'derp planes' - you derp around, exploding things. I did have a one-shot kill at 1300 meters (I-260, I shot down a 262 if memory serves - exceptional roll on crit RNG), I can blast GAA and bombers (well, the low flying ones) rather quickly and often out of their reargunners range, etc. The price one pays is being a glass cannon, with mediocre altitude performance, mediocre speed, bad or horribad agility. Not everyone fancies this, and not everyone has the patience to stay back and plink from distance, carefully avoiding direct engagement. When it clicks though (oh, that's another name for the line, 'clickers' - you just click and someone goes poof).... Potap in his Yak-7 or Yak-9 is a monster, and players with good aim flying in Soviet MRFs are a terror. I think each plane in this line is fun (though each may struggle when uptiered), and once you get to flying a field half-battery (dual 57mm cannons), there is great potential of silly things happening. All of the planes in this line are glass cannons - fun when working, frustrating when under attack.

And when stars align and all your clicks connect....:

Spoiler

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

https://i.imgur.com/SdxyYWh.jpg

ThinderChief #5 Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

I got myself the  Lavochkin LaGG-3 series 4, to my surprise, not only it is good in A2G but also it is a proper fighter.

If you need a premium to train your soviet pilots, that's one to consider seriously.

I have only 5h 36 mn on it, but so far, it managed to help me redress my stats unbalance, 170 A2A kills, 1.80 per sortie, 12 in one battle which is only two short of my maximum obtained on the La-5, 57 Air Defense and Bombers, 49 ground target destroyed, I'm very happy with it, in fact, I use it to cumulate XP which I give to the pilots I want to train, that's the Ki-61 Kawasaki Hien. 

In short, if you're not swarmed by enemy aircraft, you can take a cap and shot down all defense fighters and heavy fighters, don't expect to go after high altitude enemies, it won't do it, but low to mid, it won't let you down.

RoyalFlyingCorps #6 Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17144 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Such are the capabilities of that plane, I have a Gabreski's medal in it.

GonerNL #7 Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11923 battles

View PostMariu, on 04 January 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yak-9U - Sooooo... I think this is the highlight of the line. 

Agreed. I really struggled with that line, but this one has a fast-firing 37mm that really works. 

Don't know if I'm gonna be using the 45mm, it's only 30 ROF again ...

Mariu #8 Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:43 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha Tester
  • 4208 battles
  • [SITH] SITH

I added the I-260 to my opening post.

View PostGonerNL, on 10 February 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Agreed. I really struggled with that line, but this one has a fast-firing 37mm that really works. 

Don't know if I'm gonna be using the 45mm, it's only 30 ROF again ...

While I understand why you prefer the 37mm, I would recommend to give the 45mm at least a try (I had similar thoughts when I unlocked it). What I found with the 37mm, while it is nice when you are close for it to work, the main issue for me was to get close and then stay on target/in range, since the Yak-9U is neither fast nor maneuverable. I think the gun setup works well on the Mig-9/15 because you are fast enough to close the gap quickly and let the 37mm work. The 45mm even with the lower rate of fire gives you range as an option and more alpha damage.

Edited by Mariu, 23 February 2020 - 09:55 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users