Dream Crates ! Look at what I got there !

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

levlos #1 Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6657 battles

Hello fellow pilots,

Following a previous thread I started here about, I thought of dwelling more into what WoWP could deliver, experience-wise, to us players. I will do so in this thread using graphics, opening imaginary crates that will deliver me some dream planes I thought might be nice to have in our hangar. The criteria for the selection are simple: this is not a beauty contest, but rather what new gameplay some planes might provide.

I will start with perhaps one of the most spectacular of all: the composite Mistel 2 German attack aircraft.

If you want to read more about it, there is a small article about it here.

Mistel 2 WoWP

... From what you guys can see, this is basically a Focke-Wulf A-8 on top of a Ju-88G whose cockpit has been replaced with a 3.500 kg hollow-charge warhead. The two planes are united by a "father-and-son" system (the pilot of the Fw-190 controls the lower component through an electrical system) until the Ju-88G part is released and flies straight into its target, using a gyroscope. The Fw-190 is then free to fight as it wants.

Key gameplay elements:

1- massive single slow "rocket" with average reload. Enough damage to blow up a special building in a plant and a couple of buildings around, due to very large blast radius. if an attack aircraft is nearby, it is swiftly annihilated.

2- During re-load, the manned aircraft can engage in combat in normal manner. It does not fly like a brick anymore.

Issues:
- this composite aircraft needs a dual
flight model for its loaded and unloaded status. Games does not support this currently

What do you think ? Would you like to have this aircraft in your hangar ?

<disclaimer: I did not do the model aircraft used to make the above photo-montage. I just used a picture from a modelist and adapted it to the WoWP screens>

Edited by levlos, 11 January 2020 - 09:48 PM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

nitemare_gary #2 Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2524 battles
  • [RT0X] RT0X
Wow, just wow. In the second it took me to realise that it wasn't real, I seriously thought that you had a Mistel. If this was in-game, yes I would have it. But your opponents would need the opportunity to shoot it down as an aircraft, and a critical hit to the warhead would have to result in an explosion. Otherwise, this looks fantastic! 

Like the top post on this topic:http://forum.worldof...599#entry602599

If you do, you will have earnt a place in the immortal hall of WOWP fame! :izmena:

zen_monk_ #3 Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10100 battles
  • [__] __

WOW! You tricked me too.

Well done :honoring:

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Frateras #4 Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:24 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10323 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Yes the German wonder weapons, genius and madness sometimes are two sides of one medal.

Edited by Frateras, 11 January 2020 - 11:24 PM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

BravelyRanAway #5 Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 4774 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Kudo's to your photoshop ability, that's quite good!

It does make for a very big target....and it will fly like a brick.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".G.B.Shaw

Frateras #6 Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:54 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 10323 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Would it be one kill or two?

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

0berhessen #7 Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 5641 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Hahaha you tricked me too!

Even if it is too ugly to want it. :trollface:

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

blindfoId #8 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:01 AM

• Developer
  • 22 battles

Wow, I've been tricked for a second as well! Some unbelievable photoshop skills over here.

Now I'm thinking if it is possible to mod such a warbird, what do you think? Is it, zen_monk_? :teethhappy:

RoyalFlyingCorps #9 Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17296 battles
Now, now, I reckon it’s almost certain that the plane modelling files are on the server and not accessible to modders.  If they were so accessible we’d be encountering Ki-94-Is that were faster than XF-90s and that could outturn Ki-43-Ics!

Edited by RoyalFlyingCorps, 13 January 2020 - 10:36 AM.

levlos #10 Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6657 battles

Thank you guys for the kind words.

The imaginary crates keep on falling from the sky !

Now, I got a special treat for you: something half would hate, and half would wince at. What could that be ? Well, remember how almost all of you like being rammed by other aircraft ? How frustrating it is when you get killed by that player that rams his plane into you ? I hear the most insults when this kind of thing happens. Now try to imagine aircraft that were solely designed to ram their victims, chop off a tail, a wing, or even slice through cleanly through the fuselage ?

Such aircraft designs existed, towards the end of the war, when allied bombers flattened cities and factories alike. Axis engineers devised aircraft propelled by rockets that would take off vertically or be towed towards enemy heavy bombers, and go for the kill in the most personal of all ways. Let me introduce you the rammers !

First, the Zeppelin rammer, below:

Zeppelin Rammer

This peticular aircraft was propelled by a Schmidding 109-533 rocket, and armed with either a rotating SG-118 30mm carousel gun (based on the Mk 108 low velocity gun) or 14x R4M rockets. Once the ammo was fired, the aircraft could turn and ram the damaged aircraft to finish it off. More info here.

Crazy, eh ? Well now imagine having a rammer aircraft without any kind of mounted weapon except the reinforced structure and wings of it. Well, it existed, in the glorious design of the kokukyoto rammer. See below:

Japanese Rammer

This time, four Type 4 Mark I Model 20 rockets propel the aircraft towards its target (from a catapult or towing aircraft), reaching transonic speeds. Then, the courageous pilot aims at the tailsection or a wing of the enemy bomber and tries to lop it off. Meanwhile, of course, the attacked bombers fire with all their machine-guns at the fast and dangerous little foe closing in. The armored glass and cockpit provide some protection, but the 7-9 second long burn do not allow a second pass: it is all or nothing !

Key gameplay elements:
1- Ramming attacks !!

2- Rocket propulsion and boost management

So, what do you guys think ? Would you like to have one of those and troll the other players by ramming them all the time ? How would you like to encounter one of those on the battlefield ?

Edited by levlos, 14 January 2020 - 10:59 PM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

zen_monk_ #11 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10100 battles
  • [__] __

Mate, you work is off the charts!

Massive respect :honoring:

Frateras #12 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10323 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Yes of course but there is an issue. How to skill the pilot. He must be able to maneuvre his plane very well in order to meet the vulnerable and required parts of a bomber. End of WW II Germany got units which were equipped with BF-109. They gave them 50 rounds and the order to ram the empennage of a Flying Fortress. They told the pilots that they have a 10% chance to survive that with the parachute. So it would be really expensive to skill them on 100%. Just to kill one Bomber if it works. And it didn't work well in those days.

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Ensign_Steel #13 Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Tester
  • 2091 battles
  • [-TPS-] -TPS-
Do the Heinkel Lerche next!! :D

Franco_Scala, on 15 June 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

You can't have your cake and have [whopee] with it

levlos #14 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6657 battles

Hey guys,

I am glad you appreciate the stuff. I will keep on making it if you want more !

The next picture is not really about an aicraft within a crate, but rather what could be done to enhance the naval maps. I give you improved naval combat, with torpedo aircraft ! (more on those later).

WoWP, real naval combat

Look at that beautiful Italian tier IV Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 torpedo-bomber approaching a British Prince of Wales battleship to courageously release its two torpedoes at point blank range! God those italian aircraft are classy !

Would you like to do that yourselves ?

Edited by levlos, 14 January 2020 - 10:56 PM.

Mournfull #15 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 11306 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Love it!

nitemare_gary #16 Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2524 battles
  • [RT0X] RT0X
To put a variety of realistic ships into the game wouldn't be hard. WOWS has done all the hard modelling work already. You could trade aircraft models (they would be no doubt pleased not to have to make any aircraft for their carriers) for ships. On another point, I still can't get over well you have done these pics. With every detail, right down to the reflections of the explosions in the water. Unbelievable! 

Like the top post on this topic:http://forum.worldof...599#entry602599

If you do, you will have earnt a place in the immortal hall of WOWP fame! :izmena:

RoyalFlyingCorps #17 Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17296 battles
^ That’s not necessarily the case.  I suspect the game engines for WoWS and WoWP are not the same, so the modelling in the former most likely is not compatible with the latter.

As for new aircraft in WoWP, well, apart from the three we know are coming, I wonder if more will ever appear.  That would be a shame since, for instance, an Italian line or Italian aircraft in the Europe section would have been nice.

We’ll see.

levlos #18 Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6657 battles

Hey guys,

Another day, another dream crate !

Dream crate

As you might well know, I am not very fond of bombers, and I find great satisfaction in figuring ways of torturing the people who play them. I thought we might introduce a class of aircraft with a very peculiar armament, designed to bring the bombers down in a way that does not exist in the game yet. What better day to inflict pain on a bomber than doing it from outside its defense firing arcs ? Would you do it from afar ? No, better, let's shoot down the bombers from below ! Behold the new upward firing aircrat, the Ki-46 III Otsu/ Hei, and the Junkers Ju 88 G-6.

Ki-46 III Otsu

The Ki-46 III Otsu/ Hei is an armed version of the Ki-46 "Dinah" reconaissance airplane. It is armed with a pair of Ho-5 20mm canons in the nose, and a Ho-204 37mm gun in the fuselage, slanted upwards at an 75 degrees angle. Only 15 were built towards the end of the conflict.

Ju 88 G-6

Above is the Junkers Ju 88 G-6, one of the latest of the series of very efficient night fighters based on the ubiquitous Ju-88 design. Its armament consists of 4 MG 151 in the nose and two MG 151 "Schräge Musik" firing upwards in the rear fuselage. Since the aircraft was also used in the night ground attack role against enemy ground troops it also had ETC bomb racks for a moderate bomb load. The Luftwaffe had made tests and the optimal angle of the guns that fired upwards was between 60 and 75 degrees, as it allowed the aircraft below to consistently hit a bomber, even if it turned 8 degrees a second.

Now, you will tell me, "How can we fire the slanted weapons, there is no way to aim them" ? Easy, when you zoom your weapons, the zoom is slanted just as the weapons in your fuselage, allowing you to fire the guns at the unsuspecting bomber player while chuckling like a madman. You may also play some Wagner in the background if you want to !

The British also had some designs with guns that could fire upwards, but we will deal with those some other time.

Now, would you like to tear the bombers to pieces from below ?

Edited by levlos, 15 January 2020 - 02:03 PM.

zen_monk_ #19 Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10100 battles
  • [__] __
Ah, the wonderful Schräge Musik prelude :teethhappy:

RoyalFlyingCorps #20 Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17296 battles
The RAF briefly introduced in the First World War an upwards firing aircraft with a large cannon.  I’ll find it in a reference book later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users