Is Axis vs Allies ever a thing?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dhansak #1 Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2150 battles

I was just musing about which type of aircraft I should aim to eventually have at each tier group (1-4, 5-7, 8+) -  very broadly along the lines of needing a HF, GAA, LF (low alt turn and burn),  LF (higher alt more boom and zoomy)  etc. Gross generalisation I know, but you get my gist.

Then I realised I was collecting similar aircraft at any given tier from both Axis and Allied countries so I had something "in stock" from both "sides" . This was entirely unconscious until I eventually noticed the pattern and I questioned why I was accumulating so many planes! I think I tracked it down to seeing references in old youtube videos about WoWP modes that I have not seen as I have only started playing recently.

I have only ever seen Conquest mode myself, so references to old mission modes to kill UK or Japanese planes or whatever  stuck in the back of my head as being something I should be ready for if it comes up. How that would work I have no idea - if we had to kill planes from country X to earn some reward, then surely everyone would fly planes from country Y or Z so they could kill X and not be a target? Which begs the question where the heck would targerts from country X actually come from in game? Conjures up an image of lots of Ys and Zs flying round and thinking - hmmm - nowt to shoot...

Sorry - I digress... The question is simply - is there any point in having a hanger full of stuff distributed over the selection of countries available? Or is there no downside at all to having planes from only one or two countries as long as they fulfill the "fun to play" factor?

Thanks -this may save me a lot of future hanger slots :)

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9031 battles
  • [__] __

YOu need various nations for Daily Token missions. For example, one for 10 tokens called "Hawks From The Isles", IIRC can be done only with Brits or Japs. So there you have it, you need at least Tier 8 in one of those nations. Sometimes WG makes a weekend event for a certain nation.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Frateras #3 Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:20 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9427 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Of course when  you want to fulfill missions you need all possible planes. But that is not the main purpose of buying planes from different nations. Each line git week and good planes, so it makes sense to research different lines of different nations in order to have good planes for various tiers and classes of planes. I'm looking for the cherries so I have to eat the cake.

Dhansak #4 Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2150 battles

Aah - thank you - good to know. 

zen_monk_    - your comments also  help put those old videos in context - now I see how it makes sense!

Frateras - I really like your cherries and cake analogy. I am fighting a (thankfully mild) tendency to think about tiers, missions etc as goals. The goal (for me) is to have fun with as many cherries as I can find. All the rest just provides transient structure which is nice but not central I think.

So far my prime cherries are the US XP58 and the German ME410.

I like the Soviet IL2(t) - though because I really want to try the IL10 or 8 and definitely the IL20, I find myself trying to "get through" the IL2(t) to move on. I remind my self that I am actually having fun now and should stop fixating what's ahead. I also like the the Japanese fighters - am at T6 on both lines. All good so far but have been happy to move on - will see if any earn Cherry status!  I have heard good things about the Soviet I220 - just started down the MIG line for that.  

Lots to do! All I can say is I really enjoy the distinctively different play styles of HF, LF (high and low alt) and GA. Only just starting out with Bombers (T4 German) and have unlocked the US T5 but not bought it yet. I find them refreshingly different too - too early to tell how far I will try and take them.  I am not sure about MRs though - will have to see if any gems appear on the way through more cake! Will be very interested to see how the Japanese T8+ MRs look when I eventually get there.

Thanks again for you help :)

zen_monk_ #5 Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9031 battles
  • [__] __

View PostDhansak, on 25 January 2020 - 11:20 AM, said:

The goal (for me) is to have fun with as many cherries as I can find. All the rest just provides transient structure which is nice but not central I think.

So far my prime cherries are the US XP58 and the German ME410.

Salute to both approach and the tools for it. :honoring:

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Dhansak #6 Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2150 battles
Thank you! :honoring:

RoyalFlyingCorps #7 Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17098 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

View PostDhansak, on 24 January 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Then I realised I was collecting similar aircraft at any given tier from both Axis and Allied countries so I had something "in stock" from both "sides" . This was entirely unconscious until I eventually noticed the pattern and I questioned why I was accumulating so many planes! I think I tracked it down to seeing references in old youtube videos about WoWP modes that I have not seen as I have only started playing recently.

I have only ever seen Conquest mode myself, so references to old mission modes to kill UK or Japanese planes or whatever  stuck in the back of my head as being something I should be ready for if it comes up.

What I usually call the "Axis vs. Allies" event is actually this, "Skies Of Albion", dating from December 2017 and running through to January 2018: https://worldofwarplanes.eu/news/brit-me-with-your-rhythm-stick/

It was a mode where where you had to choose to fight either in Allied or Axis planes (once a side was chosen you could not change to the other unitl the event recommenced the following day) to acquire loot boxes, the number of which were doubled if you were on the winning side.  Since it quickly became clear that the winning side was almost always the Allied one, it became a lopsided event and for this reason I doubt it will ever be repeated as a mode.  However, in this mode you could drop into a battle with your friends on the same side, which made it possible in effect to have flights with more than two people in them.

Coming as it did after the then recent launch of version 2 (October 10th, 2017), this represented a huge piece of rapid development work by the WoWP team.  Development work has now slowed to a crawl in this game, so that's another reason you're not likely to see an event like this again.

As an aside, for those of you puzzled by the "Brit me with your rhythm stick" link...

Edited by RoyalFlyingCorps, 25 January 2020 - 02:19 PM.

Dhansak #8 Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2150 battles

RoyalFlyingCorps - thanks for the further info.

Hmm - an event type not seen for years? Ah well - I'll put that approach on the back burner then - though will keep roaming the tech trees cherry picking! If I get caught short I can always nation hop with an EU premium. Will be a bit short in the T8 dept for awhile though - still have just the one (US). Though I am almost halfway through the Vampire missions - I'll be there any month now lol! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users