Flaps and control surface flapping.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

ThinderChief #1 Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

Flaps hanging down even when not extended.

Control surfaces flapping.

Propeller cycling erratically.

Any chance it could be fixed? The game would look tons better then. Thanks!

CheefCoach #2 Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 9122 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Every time you use break, flaps are deployed automatically. Also there is pilot in the plane who should adjust flaps according to speed. But it would be nice if we knew if flaps are on or off. 
Nothing interesting to write. 

GonerNL #3 Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14102 battles

Even on planes where you put flaps on manual, they will deploy at low speed.

And indeed, the propellers and jet engines erratic - even at full speed and boost - behavior looks just stupid ... I know it's only graphics, but still.

Bloody_Axe #4 Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

Senior Airman

• 1437 battles
I have had a couple of games where the flaps/air brakes were on without me activating them. Had to press all the buttons there are and then some to get out of it as the plane was slowing even with me boosting!

apartclassic #5 Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27876 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View PostBloody_Axe, on 03 February 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

I have had a couple of games where the flaps/air brakes were on without me activating them. Had to press all the buttons there are and then some to get out of it as the plane was slowing even with me boosting!

As CheefCoach wrote earlier, flaps/airbrake is deployed automatically by default. It means that whenever you do ANY maneuver, flaps will open to some degree - which in turn means that ANY maneuvering bleeds speed, because of flaps opening. In contrast to manual flaps, where you have them 'binary' (either 0% or 100% flaps, with very short time of partial flaps when switching), automatic flaps are 'analogue' and operate in smaller increments; sharp maneuvering deploys them fully, small course changes open them partially. One of the things advanced players do is to disable the auto-flaps in Options and bind a key to operate them manually.

Edited by apartclassic, 03 February 2020 - 04:16 PM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Bloody_Axe #6 Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

Senior Airman

• 1437 battles
Yeah,  that's the odd thing, I do have them bound to "E". Normally its all good just the few times it seems to be stuck.

apartclassic #7 Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27876 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View PostBloody_Axe, on 03 February 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

Yeah,  that's the odd thing, I do have them bound to "E". Normally its all good just the few times it seems to be stuck.

If you have them bound, but auto is still enabled, they will still operate regardless of you pressing the key or not; what you gain is the option of using them on demand, but they will still open/close according to your maneuvering.

KlausHetti #8 Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14747 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 03 February 2020 - 05:11 PM, said:

As CheefCoach wrote earlier, flaps/airbrake is deployed automatically by default. It means that whenever you do ANY maneuver, flaps will open to some degree - which in turn means that ANY maneuvering bleeds speed, because of flaps opening. In contrast to manual flaps, where you have them 'binary' (either 0% or 100% flaps, with very short time of partial flaps when switching), automatic flaps are 'analogue' and operate in smaller increments; sharp maneuvering deploys them fully, small course changes open them partially. One of the things advanced players do is to disable the auto-flaps in Options and bind a key to operate them manually.

In addition, when the flaps are bound for manual use you should take care that

• they are bound for on/off by single keystrokes 
  • or if they are on as long you hold the key and go off as soon as you release the key

Morgen ist heute schon gestern! 

ThinderChief #9 Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

View PostKlausHetti, on 03 February 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

In addition, when the flaps are bound for manual use you should take care that

• they are bound for on/off by single keystrokes 
  • or if they are on as long you hold the key and go off as soon as you release the key

So what's the setting for manual then? I use the keyboard for activating the flaps but in some case, they stay down all game, seems that autoflaps must be disabled then, I have S and F as keys for airbrakes and flap but I can't see any disabling autoflap option...

And it's not related to the control surfaces flapping, never saw that flying a real aircraft even the old Piper Cub, control surface stays in the airflow, they do not flap this way.

Edited by ThinderChief, 04 February 2020 - 12:17 AM.

apartclassic #10 Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27876 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

Stop using real life references, Thinder - it won't lead you anywhere in this game, really :)

Settings > Controls > Advanced Settings > untick the box in More Options section, voila (turns off the automatic flaps entirely, so one has to make sure there's a key bind to use them manually)

EDIT: I'll check when I run the game, and update this post

EDIT 2: updated

Edited by apartclassic, 04 February 2020 - 01:48 AM.

ThinderChief #11 Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 04 February 2020 - 12:17 AM, said:

Stop using real life references, Thinder - it won't lead you anywhere in this game, really :)

Options > Advanced settings > tick the automatic flaps off (if I remember right)

I don't see the option in control Settings, that's the problem, or I would have solved it long ago, because I figured they might bleed speed.

KlausHetti #12 Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14747 battles

You have to check the Advanced Settings!

After choosing settings the Controls window shows up.
In this window on the left side lower half
there are two options and the upper of these two is Advanced Settings.
Click there and switch auto flaps off.
Don't forget to save before you leave. 

ThinderChief #13 Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:10 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

I don't have this option, I already tried under all settings, they all send me back to this page.

0berhessen #14 Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 6650 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL
Ouch - Joystick, i guess the above written descriptions are for Mouse/Keyboard users.

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

GonerNL #15 Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14102 battles

In 2.0.1 there's this about flaps

• Added the option for assigning a key for manual flaps control in the 'Mouse' control scheme.
  •  
  • Added advanced settings allowing for fine-tuning mouse control, particularly the option for disabling automatic flaps as well as the rate of roll and level-off settings was added.

so it looks like settings for mouse and joystick are different ?

I'll have look later, also using joystick and I could swear there's a setting for auto-flaps ...

EDIT: checked and indeed no 'auto flap' setting for joystick ... but why ? It looks like auto-flap is on by default, because when I lower speed the flaps deploy automagically.

I use them a lot by the way, they're under a button on my stick, toggle option.

Edited by GonerNL, 05 February 2020 - 08:48 AM.

KlausHetti #16 Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 14747 battles
Ok Thinder, if you're using a joystick all these words were useless ...

RoyalFlyingCorps #17 Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 19990 battles
I know Goat_Messiah would roll his eyes, but a joystick to control this game is both overkill and laden with problems.

GonerNL #18 Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14102 battles

Problems ??? Like what ?

I know of one 'problem' ; that joystick players do not get the same view ahead/up like mouse handlers ... they should really fix that, it's a handicap you can not fix with your hat-switch or snap-to-target button.

Edited by GonerNL, 05 February 2020 - 03:48 PM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #19 Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 19990 battles
Um...two months broken a year ago?  Aside from being far more tricky to set up, assuming they’re supported at all.  Don’t get me wrong, I know some people will die in a ditch arguing that they are a better controller than mouse and keyboard, but I think they’re far more trouble than they’re worth.

ThinderChief #20 Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4125 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 05 February 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

Problems ??? Like what ?

I know of one 'problem' ; that joystick players do not get the same view ahead/up like mouse handlers ... they should really fix that, it's a handicap you can not fix with your hat-switch or snap-to-target button.

Plus the option available for mouse to turn autoflap off doesn't work with stick, at least not mine.

I had a set of instructions from support, followed it by the letter but flaps still hand down and bleed speed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users