Suggestions for Multiroles

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Dhansak #1 Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

I have been playing a little while now and have started to see what I like regarding HF, LF, GA and have just started trying out bombers.

However I have delved into a few T5 MRs and can't still don't get a sense of where they lead and would welcome opinions recommending any MRs that stand out from the crowd. Also having any lemons pointed out would be helpful! I like the distinct styles of play of the other classes but  with MRs having a bit of everything (sort of) I am having trouble picking out a line to commit to, or a particular plane to aim for.

Thanks

CheefCoach #2 Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
MR have less agility, and altitude than LF but more speed (with no ordinance), firepower and take less damage. They often can carry ordinance like rockets or bombs. They are more useful than LF in attack, and little less in defense. Proper tactic is to hit and run away, and if necessary to use ordinance to flip sectors. 
https://stats-sig.eu/wowp/CheefCoach/ussr/xs/en/sig.png

Dhansak #3 Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

Thanks CheefCoach - I haven't tried running one without ordnance yet - will give that a go!

So far i have tried both US MR lines - one to T4, the other to T5. Also I have the UK T6 (Tornado); the main thing I see about the UK line is their seeming lack of altitude performance, though their firepower is good. Is their a striking difference between the 2 US lines? Are there particularly interesting planes in either/both lines? I am not reading the stats well enough for me to make a clear choice over these lines - or whether I should leave them be for now. I have heard nice things about the vulcan gun on one of the T9s but that is so far away, I don't think it can be a driving factor yet! 

apartclassic #4 Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:06 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 20870 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

MRF without ordnance are sort of denying the purpose - there's a reason it's there. In general MRF are very good at taking over sectors, regardless of type, whereas LFs can struggle (Command Centre or Manufacturing Plant are good examples - LF can't take them as easily as MRF can). If you want sheer firepower and speed, which are another advantages of MRF, just fly HF. MRF are usually sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. For fun factor the Vulcan is certainly kind of the ultimate toy, but on the other hand just imagine the joys of rocketing or bombing other planes. Again, LF can't do that, MRF can. Low tier planes don't give a good idea how it pans out later, also because I suspect you don't have many pilot points yet (and for MRF played as intended the core of Demolition Expert - with proper consumables - and Engine Guru are a must). You are right about the UK line, it falls in the mid usually, though their defining feature is possesing rockets (US line usually carries both rockets and bombs, same with German line in general), usually cannon armament (as opposed to the US, which oftentimes carry a suite of Browning MGs), mediocre speed and altitude performance.

It's up to your playstyle. If you like the furball and classical airfight, go with LF. If you like speed and firepower at the cost of maneuverability, go with HF. If you like flexibility on the battlefield, at the cost of being frequent fodder for LF, go with MRF. I can't give you any particular fav types, I'm known for saying that each and every plane has something going about it and I like all of them for different things, but in general I think MRF are the most universal. Also when it comes to doing daily missions for tokens, because with an MRF it's feasible to go both for the ones related to air combat (like aerial kills, or points in defence/attack), and those with ground targets (like points in capturing or number of GTs destroyed/assisted with).

Edited by apartclassic, 05 February 2020 - 12:09 AM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

CheefCoach #5 Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Block Quote

MRF without ordnance are sort of denying the purpose - there's a reason it's there.

I don't agree. Multipurpose means it have multiple purpose, and bombing is only one of them. At core MRF is stile fighter, and fighter's main goal is to kill other planes. 

Block Quote

If you want sheer firepower and speed, which are another advantages of MRF, just fly HF.

HF are sluggish, and MR stile have enough agility to deal the most of bots, and agile enough to bring firepower in the crowd fight. When there is 3 vs 3 or more vs more fight, you don't need top agility, but you need some agility and a lot of firepower, and this is where you can use MR. 

Also apartclassic is Jedi, and have a ton of experience. @Dhansak you probably aren't, and I don't recommend any new player to use ordinance on their planes. If you don't time right, you will get slathered by fighters, and defensive bots. So just ditch them, get extra speed (and speed is the most important thing. You won't win many Garberski medals, but you will have a ton of fun. 

You don't need higher altitude, and you are not cannon folder, because when you ditch rockets you can outrun LF. 

Block Quote

Are there particularly interesting planes in either/both lines?

Hurricane I, II and Tornado are awesome. Tempest is really fun, and I love it. I like Buffalo and F4U Corsairs. I also really like Fw 190D (but with 20 mm guns and not 30 mm). Aleksey I-215 is hidden jam when you learn to aim, and so is Yak 9U. Many people like F 94D, not me. Haven't played with BV recently, but T9 should be good. 

Republicans are generally bad. Entire line. All of them! Su-9 is what appart would call challenging plane. He is nice, rest of us have other word with 4 latter that start with s, and ends with t. F7U is also plane that use to be good, and now it isn't as good. 

Edited by CheefCoach, 05 February 2020 - 01:27 AM.

CheefCoach #6 Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
My data is tiny bit outdated, but those 40 km/h that rocket and bombs are reducing, is often difference between average speed and top speed in the tier. Difference between the slowest and the fastest plane in tier is around 100 km/h. 

0berhessen #7 Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:21 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 5177 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

As i see it in general with MR you can decide what playstyle you like better.

For me i dont like to attach all the ordnance like bombs and rockets that make the plane slow and low and it looks like an xmas tree.

Comparing to LF you usually have an advantage of boost time, which is useful to compensate the disadvantage of turning abilities.

But as long as you attach all those bombs and rockets stuff, you need a lot of boost energy to get the plane going.

There are exceptions on MR when it comes to rockets, there are those "swarm" rockets you will find on the german BV line and the F94-D, these are useful to blow aways head on enemys.

On one hand its true what apartclassic wrote, with ordnance you have the possibilities to switch a sector faster, but for that you need battle awareness.

You  need a good overview on the minimap, before you dive down on a Groundtarget, be sure not having a LF on your tail...

On the other hand its true what CheefCoach wrote, if you lack experience it might be easier to play a MR like LF.

Comparing to a LF you usually have an advantage of boost and firepower, but avoid turning with LF.

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

RoyalFlyingCorps #8 Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 16810 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Flying most multiroles without their ordnance is pointless, in my opinion.  You may as well fly fighters instead, since those are better at the one thing a multirole without ordnance can do.  The exception might be the snipers, like the Yak-7, where you can concentrate on destroying aircraft at long range rather than taking out ground targets.

CheefCoach #9 Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

You are giving really bad advice to new and unexperienced players. For new player it is much better to concentrate on one thing, airplanes or ground targets, but not both. 

Block Quote

You may as well fly fighters instead, since those are better at the one thing a multirole without ordnance can do.

LF are better in something, and not so much in others. Lets take for example tier 6 UK:

Spitfire V with 8.6 s turn rate, 640 km/h of top speed on 1400 m and with 2x20 mm and 4x0.303

Mosquto with 14,4 s turn rate, 670 km/h of top speed on 1600 m and with 4x20 mm and 4x0.303

Tornado with 10.8 s turn rate, 650 km/h of top speed on 1200 m and with 4x20 mm

Rockets are reducing 20 km/h, and that is a lot. 

Mosquto have a greater firepower but it might not be o easy to play with because of turn rate. Spitfire can turn like dervish, but you can only mostly rely on fast heating 20 mm guns, because .303 have bad range. Than you have Tornado that have much better firepower than Spitfire, almost as same as Mosquto (because it is hard to get those 30 cal into range, and to get the nose of plane to match target), but with much better agility. Not for dog fighting of course. Tornado is faster of Spitfire on altitudes below 1200 m. Higher speed means less chance to get intercepted. 

Good tactic is to firstly get riddance of high altitude targets, and than the lower altitude one. This is point where ordinance is nuance. Slower speed practically mean less altitude, and ground targeting also requires for player to fly lower to ground, and that is big disadvantage. Targeting GT with MR is also quite more challenging than with attack airplane. 

And there is one more thing that is overlooked and that is ruggedness of the plane. 

Spitfire V  have 240 base hp, with resistance to damage of 48, and fire resistance of 60.

Mosquito have 400 base hp, with resistance to damage of 50, and fire resistance of 54. 

Tornado have base 300 hp, with resistance to damage of 47 and fire resistance of 60. MR as class have higher resistance to AA and rear gunners.

MR generally can take more punishment, and in our case MR have 25% more hp than LF.

Similarly we can analyze Fw vs Me, P-51 vs F4U, Yak 3 vs Yak 9U... MR always come on top in sense of firepower. 

Even if we compere Spitfire XIV vs Tempest, both with 4x20 mm, Spitfire guns are overheating on higher rate. 

So if ever anybody ask you: ,,Should I put ordinance on my multi-role? " answer must always be no. The ones who know what they are doing, shall never ask that question, and the ones they do, most likely can't play fighter-bomber style. I don't want to see newbies chasing GT in their MR, tempted to do such action by ordinance they carry; or to just go after easy GT instead of practice attacking flying and moving targets. 

GonerNL #10 Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11053 battles

View PostCheefCoach, on 05 February 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

So if ever anybody ask you: ,,Should I put ordinance on my multi-role? " answer must always be no. 

I beg to differ ... most multiroles shine using ordnance. I wouldn't know what to do in a Thunderbolt, Typhoon etc without bombs and rockets.

Also, you get (more) points for fulfilling your role as MR and that includes destroying ground-targets like AA and ships.

RoyalFlyingCorps #11 Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 16810 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

View PostCheefCoach, on 05 February 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

You are giving really bad advice to new and unexperienced players. For new player it is much better to concentrate on one thing, airplanes or ground targets, but not both.

I disagree.  You are the one giving really bad advice.  You should not be encouraging players to play their aircraft badly, which you are.

CheefCoach #12 Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

No, I am giving very good advice, that are coming from years of experience, and I have very good arguments written down. Ordinance is for very good players who like that play style and know what they are doing-not for new ones.

MR are pretty awesome with out of them, like a boom and zoom fighters. It is easier to fly with out of thinking of GT, they have better positions with higher initial altitude, and they are faster. Just try them!

Dhansak #13 Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

Thank you all for the feedback - interesting to see the polarised views on his one. I will have to experiment and see for myself - not to see what is accurate - I am too much of a rookie, average player to offer comment re that! Simply to see what I find to be most fun for me at my level of experience.

apartclassic described the different styles of play nicely - that is what I like about having different types of a/c - I have to fly differently to be effective (for my level!). I enjoy the difference and fly a type to suit my mood. It feels like playing a different game just by changing plane type and keeps things fresh. I think the thing about MRs is that their hybrid nature is inherently not so distinct like say, a HF or LF.  This cofuses my poor brain cell :)

Can any one offer guidance over the differing characteristics of the 2 US MR lines? - assuming of course that there are any significant ones.

Thanks.

zen_monk_ #14 Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 8945 battles
  • [__] __

View PostDhansak, on 06 February 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

Can any one offer guidance over the differing characteristics of the 2 US MR lines? - assuming of course that there are any significant ones.

Yes different they are. To make it as simple as possible: Corsair line is more newbie friendly, much easier to be flown as a muscle fighter against other planes, while Thunderbolt line is harder, brings best results when flown "as MR should be flown", with max ordnance and used focused on capping where you combine GA and AA capabilities.

Edited by zen_monk_, 06 February 2020 - 03:24 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Dhansak #15 Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

Thanks zen! As it happens I have the T6 Thunderbolt researched but not purchased. I will give that line a go; if I fail to grasp the required nuances I will try the corsair line! This will take awhile though - I tend to persist in the face of failure too long for my good sometimes lol. I hope that T6 will be enough of a test? - i.e. if I seem to do ok at T6 then i may be hopeful for T7+?

By the way, my assessment of doing ok is certainly somewhat lower than the veteran experience..... if I can have fun and get 2 or 3 chevrons most of the time I am happy. I feel I have done my "job" then - though I am acutely aware that my job may not have been done in the right place and the right time to contribute properly to my team in the matchplay. Slowly getting there though .....  slowly, slowly :)

GonerNL #16 Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11053 battles

View PostDhansak, on 06 February 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

I have the T6 Thunderbolt researched but not purchased. I will give that line a go; 

Let us know how it goes.

I just got the F-84B, but it was not an easy road. I did/could not specialize both P-47's and the XP-72 because it's pretty hard to get a lot of enemy plane kills. 

The Corsair line is, as zen said, much friendlier/easier. You can actually defend yourself after delivering the ordnance and with the Thunderbolts you better get the f*ck out after your run and look for other targets than low-flying fighters.

Edited by GonerNL, 06 February 2020 - 03:50 PM.

CheefCoach #17 Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Block Quote

Naval line main characteristic is heavy firepower, with 12.7 mm until tier 5, and 20 mm guns from tier 6 onward; but 20 mm are nerfed and they are overheat quickly. Good speed, average agility, somewhere weaker ordinance. I forgot how is to fly with t2, F3F is dog-fighting devil, F2A Buffalo is awesome plane with 4 .50 cal, F4F is ok. Tier 6 and tier 7 are similar with 4x20 mm guns, and solid agility. F2G have huge bomb and keep those 4x20 mm. F94D is server favor with Vulcan gun and a lot of speed. F7U is very popular on NA server with 4 bombs and decant guns. Problem with most of those 20 mm is overheating. F6U Pirate is also part of the family as fighter with not so good agility and good firepower. 

Republican line is defined by a lot of machine guns, very bad agility, rugged air-frames and a lot of ordinance. They are super fast if you ditch the ordinance. Flying requires a lot of vertical manaueuvres, as horizontal bleed the speed quite fast. I forgot about t2, and t3, and P 43 have 4 .50 cal, and it is nice. Haven't played a lot with t5. P 47B use to be really good one with 8 .50 cal, and good speed and altitude-haven't played with it for long time. P 47N is sort of bad plane, but I have legendary pilot, so I played a lot and I do have fun with it. It hit nice, and can reach high, but is so sluggish. XP-72 is almost jet fast, but MG are starting to get annoying. Last two are similar to each other, and similar to fighters, but less agile. Range of MG is annoying, and speed of planes makes it hard to hit GT with ordinance. 

Dhansak #18 Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

GonerNL - eeeek - thanks for the tip - I would have got that wrong for sure :) Will beef up my engines early! 

At the moment I am waiting for a March of Nations type tech tree discount. I am ready to purchase this T6  MR, a T7 Ki fighter, a T5 US bomber and a t7 Soviet GA. I may crack and buy the GA early at full price if it takes too long.... I could afford it but will wait for a deal a little bit longer .... just a little bit... 

CheefCoach #19 Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7050 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Here are some examples:

P 47N with legendary pilot (so dive bombing)

Buffalo

How appart is flying MR

some battles with high scores

and here one with no ordinance:

Dhansak #20 Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1734 battles

CheefCoach - thank you for the breakdown of the 2 lines. I really hadn't appreciated their differences before!

Hmm .. I may have to try out both lines (I think I may have the T6 Corsair already researched too). This is beginning to sound like my trialing of the IL10 and IL8 in GA land! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users