• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Ziptop #1 Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:45 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 6329 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

Found this in my hangar. 

Oh my word what a useless waste of hangar space it is.

I'm not even sure it would be ok if it had guns..... 

Discuss.

apartclassic #2 Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:35 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 21197 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC
It's a very nice plane to fly. You have a P-40 performance one tier lower. Even though it's only 2 Brownings, if memory serves they have higher than usual fire chance (i.e. compared to other MGs), but blindfold would have to verify. An odd machine, sure, but fast and with good altitude performance - good taste of what to expect with the Warhawk and early Mustang. Also, as an advanced tip - should you use it to stalk bombers, it pays off to learn reargunners' blind spots. You will be spending a lot of time shooting your bigger targets, avoiding any incoming damage helps a ton (and even bot reargunners will crit you too often, making the whole endeavour rather unpleasant). Will it carry? Rarely. Will it be a pita™ for your opponents? Surely.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

CheefCoach #3 Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7175 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Very good plane indeed. 

It is fast, tier 5 fast, and high altitude fighter. Two machine-guns doesn't have that much dps, but they are quite adequate against t3 fighters and multi-roles. There is absolutely no need to chase bombers, you can very easily target fighters. 

Use the altitude and speed to take initiative, choose your engagement, and target unsuspecting players, as well as every bot that overextended it's altitude. 

https://stats-sig.eu/wowp/CheefCoach/ussr/xs/en/sig.png

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9010 battles
  • [__] __
Very useful for the events with "participate in capping XXX sectors". Fast plane, you can call dibs on all the bases. Kill one white and zoom high for the nearest next. Other whites will try to follow you so your guys will have an easier time capping. I was able to routinely make 3-5 participations.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

GonerNL #5 Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11347 battles

I like all the P-40 versions (4?) ... yeah, some have better weapons but they all handle OK.

The Soviet P-40 is fun too, multi-role. And the Chinese one just looks awesome (Flying Tiger).

There are no planes that I really, really dislike or hate. Some are better than others, but I like variation (and a challenge).

Edited by GonerNL, 17 March 2020 - 08:36 AM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #6 Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17065 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Played as a "high energy" fighter it's capable.  It is let down by weak armament, but that makes it a bit of a challenge for a low tier aircraft.

houghtonbee #7 Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 5302 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Great for assist missions.

apartclassic #8 Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:20 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 21197 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View Posthoughtonbee, on 17 March 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Great for assist missions.

Actually I don't find any plane particularly good at that, based solely on the armaments (excepting perhaps the Beaufighter or bombers, thanks to their reargunners - but that's another mechanics). Like with any other plane, once you get on someone's tail, you will get the kill; like with any other plane, if you can't get a good firing solution, you might get an assist. As a matter of fact for less experienced players I'd recommend other planes for assisting, planes with more guns. You need to aim well to score hits, if you have only a pair of barrels; if you can aim that well, you can kill your target - if you can't aim, more barrels increase your chances. Pray 'n spray for the win, when it comes for assisting, and it's harder to accomplish with fewer guns.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

GonerNL #9 Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11347 battles

In my experience, it's quite easy to get a load of assists ... especially on lower tiers.  Unless I don't understand you.

With planes like He-100 and Me-209V4 you just shoot up a couple of ADA or enemy planes and leave them at 10% health. Pick another target and someone else will finish it off. Planes with 20mm's or something will kill a target before you know it ...

houghtonbee #10 Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 5302 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postapartclassic, on 17 March 2020 - 01:20 PM, said:

Actually I don't find any plane particularly good at that, based solely on the armaments (excepting perhaps the Beaufighter or bombers, thanks to their reargunners - but that's another mechanics). Like with any other plane, once you get on someone's tail, you will get the kill; like with any other plane, if you can't get a good firing solution, you might get an assist. As a matter of fact for less experienced players I'd recommend other planes for assisting, planes with more guns. You need to aim well to score hits, if you have only a pair of barrels; if you can aim that well, you can kill your target - if you can't aim, more barrels increase your chances. Pray 'n spray for the win, when it comes for assisting, and it's harder to accomplish with fewer guns.

I tend to find that something comes along to finish them off while I sit pinging them with peas for half an hour :D

Ziptop #11 Posted 17 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 6329 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_
There must be something wrong with my throttle input to the game then because I don't find this plane fast at all

GonerNL #12 Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11347 battles
Well, it's a lot faster than other tier IV's like I-17, Zero, Bristol, Hurricane ... and a bit faster than 109B.

CheefCoach #13 Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7175 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postapartclassic, on 17 March 2020 - 01:20 PM, said:

Because you are so accurate that planes come down crushing from skies in mater of seconds. 

GoldKnight #14 Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7921 battles
  • [FEED] FEED

Well... i don't see this plane so much faster than others, the cruise speed is little more than others. Dive speed is quite more, but on other hand u have so much less fire power that bring this plane to a rly low level.

Consider you have to deal with fighters and heavy on tier 4, which u need already alot to kill cos of the low dmg, plus u can have tier 5 games and there gl to kill something in effective way. Everything can just turn and delete u in few seconds, before u can get out of range, the difference in speed isn't sufficient for a real boom and zoom gameplay :/

Edited by GoldKnight, 30 March 2020 - 05:52 PM.

CheefCoach #15 Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7175 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Real boom and zoom play was more of a thing in pre 2.0 , and boom and zoom with US fighters is a beta thing. Speed is a function of altitude, and that is this plane real strength, a speed on higher altitudes. 

Premium planes shouldn't be overpowered, or better than tech tree ones, and if model 81 would have more MG, it would makes it OP. We can't have that. 

GoldKnight #16 Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7921 battles
  • [FEED] FEED

Right now it is far from being even good, to be op it should receive 4mgs more and 30/40 km/h more. The fact it can do something against newbies doesn't mean it is any good atm.
Most players on that range doesn't even see the map and not even notice when shooting em...

About the boom and zoom, if ppl have no clue how to play today like that, doesn't mean u can't. It is still a big factor and the reason why i keep winning. Boom and zoom with MGs is just possible on low tiers, reason why i never saw us fighters like one of those. 

Edited by GoldKnight, 30 March 2020 - 09:26 PM.

jakub_czyli_ja #17 Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 5688 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

Old fashion US premium: fuselage of tier + 0.5, armament of tier - 0.5: F1A-1, YP-29, XF4F-3 (well, it has at least a trace of firepower), XF4U-1.

And then WG realized that hardly anybody wants such useless planes in 2.0.

GoldKnight #18 Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7921 battles
  • [FEED] FEED

But... i wanted to ask something to those who says this plane is good.

Why all of you have WAY more games in other tier IV instead to play this "good" plane?

apart for apartclassic, which has so many games (even too many on tier IV in general :P) which did play an amount on this one and still less than the "classic" t4 fighter, rest has barely any game on this. For such "good" plane, i'm pretty surprised that u didn't use it way more or preferred it over the others. 

I stay on my point of view and absolutely agree with jakub, just an useless plane only good for collection.

prawiejakzywiec666 #19 Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 12180 battles
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-
I liked the plane couple of months ago and even specced it. Now I don't see a point in taking it for a spin. On IV tier you have 2 good heavies so why bother? If you want good, light altitude fighter - take something that can shoot like 109B.

Edited by prawiejakzywiec666, 31 March 2020 - 06:30 AM.

chikken

CheefCoach #20 Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7175 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

We are saving it for special occasions. :P

It is a good plane, not great plane. At the end it comes down to which one is the best for doing daily missions. For me that is usually Ju 86E. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users