historical p-47

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

apartclassic #1 Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27929 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

In today's episode let's talk about protection, boys and girls. And no, it's not about this:

Spoiler

And no again, it's not about the other thing you may be thinking about. It's about a picture I stumbled upon, which - quite literally - blew my mind.

Many discussions on this forum touched on the subject quite vital in the aerial combat of WW2, namely crew protection (and still no, it's not what you're thinking). To simplify it a lot, we all know that the Allied airmen were protected a lot better than the Axis airmen. The extreme example of weak protection is the Japanese Zero fighter, with no self-sealing fuel tanks, no bulletproof bulkheads, and minimal pilot protection (going as far as flying without parachutes, to shave off a few extra pounds for better performance). In result Zeros tended to turn into fireworks whenever grazed by a single bullet, or pilots turned up dead on any well-aimed salvo. The other extreme end of the scale is IL-2, the Flying Tank; I encourage you to search for vids and photos showing just how thick the armour was and how much of it was everywhere on this plane. This was the main reason it took about 3 days for IL-2 to climb anywhere above 1500m altitude, because it was so darn heavy.

The US planes were praised for their ruggedness. As much as the Zero could dance around Wildcats, F4F could absorb all ammo shot at it and still be flying, with a live and kicking pilot (and I remember a story or two about such duels, when Zero pilots just gave up after a while, having ran out of things to shoot with and to throw at US planes). I just didn't realize how well protected they were, till I found this:

This is a P-47 Thunderbolt after an emergency landing. Thing is, it looked a lot better when coming in to land, but was still quite shot up. The combat damage suffered led to the fact that this plane had to attempt to land with its centrally mounted 500lb (that's roughly 250kg) bomb still attached - the standard practice being jettisoning all unused munitions prior to landing. The pilot couldn't do it, aparently, and landed with the bomb. It couldn't have gone well, and it sure didn't - the bomb exploded. The Jug ended up in this state, but the pilot walked away from the crash (!). I couldn't find the specific story, all I know is that the bomb separated and exploded on runway. Still, it means that this plane took on a proximity explosion and kept the pilot safe and sound, because the phrase 'walked away' used in the accounts I found suggests he wasn't injured, or the injuries weren't significant.

Now that's what we call 'protection' in the Army, gals and guys!

Edited by apartclassic, 31 March 2020 - 09:23 PM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10902 battles
  • [__] __
If any weird SF time/warp continuum malfunction bring me back in WW2, let it be known I want to fly a Jug! Ya hear, Higher Forces?

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

apartclassic #3 Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27929 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

I can't find the source, but here you go, zen_monk_ (I believe it's historical):

They told the kid, a '38's the thing

It's got two props and guns that sing.

It's got plenty of range, and can carry a load

And it's a friend to have on a combat road.

But, the kid looked up and said in revolt,

"You take your '38, I'll take a 'Thunderbolt' "

Then they said, "The Spit's mighty sweet

And for maneuverability it can't be beat.

It met the Luftwaffe at its best

And records show it passed the test."

But the kid just answered with a smile and a shrug,

"You take the Spit, I'll take a 'Jug'. "

Then they said, "Those two are pretty hot,

But they don't have what a '51's got.

It's got the guns and it's got the speed

And more damned gadgets than you ever need."

The kid looked up and shook his head

"Keep them both, Mine's a Jug instead."

The kid spoke, "Your '38s sweet,

Your Spit's pretty hot and the 51's neat,

But, listen fellows, I'll make a bet

Just fly those ships, they'll kill you yet.

And when you're up in "Pilot Heaven"

I'll still be here in a P-4-7."

I am pretty sure it's accurate and a 'real thing', but I have no idea what tune was it sung to - gl finding that out. And then make it your personal anthem :)

Edited by apartclassic, 31 March 2020 - 06:47 PM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10902 battles
  • [__] __

It simply has to be Little Brown Jug. Period correct, a well know high-school comic song between the Wars, made highly popular by the Glenn Miller Orchestra at the start of WW2 and stayed popular for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOG89TrL4Vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T7rREzYMc

Thank you!

Edited by zen_monk_, 31 March 2020 - 07:01 PM.

GonerNL #5 Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14142 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 31 March 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

If any weird SF time/warp continuum malfunction bring me back in WW2, let it be known I want to fly a Jug! 

WW2 yes, Wowp2 rather not ... the Jug here certainly does not live up to it's fame.

Edited by GonerNL, 31 March 2020 - 08:49 PM.

zen_monk_ #6 Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10902 battles
  • [__] __

These are my beauties.

Spoiler

Frateras #7 Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10967 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

For all the pilots Hans Albers 1932:

extrabreit 1980 

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users