gameplay guide

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

apartclassic #1 Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26567 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

As much as I enjoy the recent influx of players into the game - either completely new, or returning - I am finding myself struggling with the general low level of knowledge of the game. Most people who play this version of WoWP do not know, or do not care, about certain aspects that define the current state of the game. Knowledge of 'flying', if you can even call our animating pixels that, is secondary to the awareness of how this thing rolls. This here is a short guide for those who are interested in getting better - not by statpadding per se, but by generally being better at this game; knowledge of one plane (like e.g. the infamous I-5) will not help on other tiers; knowledge of one map will not help in other periods, where map roster changes, etc. I am aware that most of the new people do not read the forum, therefore will never stumble upon this attempt of making the game more enjoyable for everyone, but I keep hoping. Foremostly I keep hoping my human teambuddies will not destroy every effort I make to win battles *wink wink*

1) In the current iteration we are playing Conquest mode. This means that points for the team matter, not individual kills or feats of skill. If one wants to win consistently, one has to play for win - and this means capturing sectors, or defending them. The easiest way, and arguably the most enjoyable, to play WoWP is just to go gung-ho on anything that isn't marked in blue; this is also the fastest way to being roflstomped by more capable players. Lesson number one then: WoWP is about sectors, not about kill count; frags are just a tool to make your team score more points.

2) Tying to the above - there are different types of sectors on the map, which contribute in different ways to the overall score. While it may seem so at low tiers, airfields are NOT the uberimportant sectors on the map. Currently there is only one advantage to occupying an airfield, which is a repair workshop (marked by a wrench icon on your minimap and radar). Yes, airfields serve as alternate spawn points (some don't know that). No, they no longer reduce respawn time (some still don't know that). You can change your plane in the airbase, for another of the same tier that you started the battle with - but it still is not enough to make airbases and airfields the primary focus on the map. On certain maps these location can sway the balance, but experienced players know this can be always circumvented. Lesson number two: learn the different sectors, think which one is most useful on your map (F1 in battle will give you the info about sectors etc).

3) As a consequence - making a beeline for the nearest airfield or airbase at the start of the battle in most cases results only in two things: someone with a 'better' plane will shoot you down, and your teambuddies will know you're a noob. This is especially true for bomber beginners. Trying to cap an airbase with a bomber is usually futile, it's just a waste of time, and a waste of a valuable resource (a human bomber) to the whole team. Airfields are a noob magnet, and a noob trap. This is the reason why sometimes it seems like skilled players prioritize airfield - not because of its inherent cap value and capture points contributed, but because they know for sure that less experienced and less skilled players, along with bots, will keep coming to this place and keep feeding easy kills. Lesson number three: manufacturing plant, command centre or a missile base are far more valuable for your team than an airfield is. If you have that tendency of getting involved into an endless cycle of dying and respawning over an airfield, please reconsider, please look at the map, try to find a place that is easier to capture or needs defending asap.

4) Though extremely simplified, the game is still based on factual historical planes. That's why there are different classes of planes - each with its own focus - and different types of planes. It will serve everyone well to learn at least the basics of what each plane was designed for. Bf110B or 110E was NOT designed for bombing factories, A6M1 was NOT designed to blow up heavy fighters in head-on attacks, IL-2 or BSh-2 were NOT designed for air to air combat. Stick to your role, which you need to learn (will come back to this). Yes, experienced pilots can overstep those boundaries and make a good fighter out of certain ground attack planes, but there are always limits. Lesson number four: learn at least the basic facts about your plane of choice and how it performs in WoWP (important! it may not be anywhere close to historical realities, because of game's balance!), and try to play according to your role. WoWP is built around simple rock/paper/scissors scheme: your plane will excel either in armament, or in agility, or speed, or altitude performance, or combination of such things; there will however almost always be a situation or a plane that counters your advantages, and can soundly beat you if you don't play to your own strenghts.

5) Talking about classes, please please please pay attention. Even if your plane has bombs, it doesn't mean it is an effective bomber. If it has wings, it doesn't mean it will win every single turning fight. And on and on. Your team buddies are expecting you to fullfill certain roles, based on the plane you are in; if you are not doing it, you are effectively playing against your team. Lesson number five therefore must be this (and I need to split it into points):

- heavy fighters (HF) are not bombers; their primary role is to combat bombers and other HF; diving on your first sector to bomb something will result in you a) crashing into something, or b) getting eaten alive by defence planes

- light fighters (LF) are not ground attack planes; spending your time on shooting AA guns may be helpful in some way, but at the same time you could've shot down incoming fighters or ground attack planes (and that's your job, to protect the more specialized planes)

- multi-role fighters (MRF) are not supposed to involve in heavy air-to-air combat; they don't have the agility to win duels with LFs or most other MRFs, but they do have the speed and ordnance to make capping certain sectors a lot easier and faster

- ground attack planes (GAA) are not meant to combat other planes; they may seem tempting, thanks to impressive forward armament, but their pitiful agility just makes them xp pinatas; when you are not destroying ground targets, you are not contributing to your team in any way

6) You have both a minimap and a radar on your screen - use them. Look at them. See where your team is, where the opposition is. Check for incoming threats. Check where you can easily cap something, or where you could help defend an objective. Do not double up on something; if you see someone shooting some target, there's no point in you doing the same (aka KS) - waste of time, waste of resources. Lesson number six: work on your spatial awareness, do not get tunnel-visioned. As the real pilots keep saying, a good pilot (and an alive pilot) has his head on a swivel; according to some accounts up to 80% of air kills in WW2 happened with the victim being surprised, with the victim not paying attention to the surrounding. Believe me, one can waltz through entire battles without a scratch, if one is aware of what's happening around.

7) Humans are a minority in this game, compared to bots. Sometimes in your battles you will have more, but most of the time less human players. Bots are scripted and predictable in both how they fly and what are they trying to accomplish - it pays off to observe and learn, and then exploit that. Humans on the other hand are unpredictable, and your presence on the battlefield can be the deciding factor. Whether for good or for the bad, depends on you. Not on your team, nor on the bots. Lesson number seven: make yourself an asset for the team, do not count on other humans or bots to do your job, and do not blame other humans or bots for your failures. Left alone, bot battles usually end in Draws. Humans make the difference, and you are one of them - if you do your job (because of the plane you are in, and because you remember it's about capping and not simple frags, etc), your team has higher chances of winning. If you don't do your job, if you do things that do not contribute to the win, then there is only you to blame for losses.

8) Last but not least - please do not rush in tiers. Gameplay changes quite a lot with the progression of tiers, and if you are relatively fresh to the game, buying a high tier premium or rushing head-long into your dream Me262 will not work. The higher you go in tiers, the less humans you will meet, but they generally will be more experienced. Take it slow, take it easy, enjoy the learning process. Give yourself time to 'git gud'. If the game will keep you interested, it will not matter if you get to t8 in a week or three months; if it doesn't keep you playing, you will waste your real money by buying something you will eventually not even use. Lesson number eight: take it easy, take your time playing WoWP, do not rush it. The more you rush, the less skilled and experienced you will be, and the easier prey you will be - and that's certainly no fun at all, getting killed by you-don't-know-what and you-don't-know-how.

It's just a few points I kept thinking about watching my fellow humans try hard to throw the battles I was in, over the last few weeks. These are basics, but overlooked so often it's incomprehensible. Sure, YMMV, and sure, 'dont tell me how to play my game' - but if you want to win, there are some things that just have to be done or learned. If you don't want to be insulted or ridiculed, there are things you can avoid doing. If you want to enjoy the game by winning more often, and by having the feeling of 'I did it well, I flew this one well' - some pointers need to be followed. I hope the above helps a bit, and if it does, spread the word please.

Edited by apartclassic, 24 April 2020 - 05:50 PM.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Vladinir_Shotitov #2 Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 7476 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

I am going to post a link to this page to our 'CLAN' (Calamitously Loose Association of Noobs) Discord, so that the folks who left to play World of War-canoes can see how to conduct themselves should they choose to return airside.

If it's any reassurance, apartclassic - I don't have to

Block Quote

try hard to throw the battles I was in

...some things just come naturally to me.

For Demokan, this forum's Little Prince - GL & HF in your very own P38F

RandyWookie #3 Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 39 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS
Thank you for posting this guide on our Discord P. Unfortunately, it's still World of WarThunder.... 

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __
This should scroll on the opening screen or while installing a game, with dramatic music like "In a galaxy far far away..."

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Frateras #5 Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:22 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

Great job. Although I don't follow this very good advice always. The combination of a HF with 4 250 kg bombs and a bomber is very effective at conquering a factory plant e.g. The HF comes deep in very fast (800 kmh) and kills four AAs and the bomber can come down a little bit and does the rest. 

Another example: A normal garrison, same strategy for the HF. It throw its bombs and fly a straight line very fast with three or four reds at his tail. The blue fighter got an easy job to kill one after the other. What I try to say is, if one hurts the rules you explained he has to predict the behaviour of his team mates. Am I noob or am I not? Sometimes I don't know myself. :)

Edited by Frateras, 24 April 2020 - 10:33 PM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

apartclassic #6 Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26567 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View PostFrateras, on 24 April 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

Great job. Although I don't follow this very good advice always. The combination of a HF with 4 250 kg bombs and a bomber is very effective at conquering a factory plant e.g. The HF comes deep in very fast (800 kmh) and kills four AAs and the bomber can come down a little bit and does the rest. 

Another example: A normal garrison, same strategy for the HF. It throw its bombs and fly a straight line very fast with three or four reds at his tail. The blue fighter got an easy job to kill one after the other. What I try to say is, if one hurts the rules you explained he has to predict the behaviour of his team mates. Am I noob or am I not? Sometimes I don't know myself. :)

Please don't... I mentioned t4 and t5 heavies specifically - can you recall how many times have you seen such genius pilots crash into the first GT they see? The guide is meant to reduce this type of situations...

Frateras #7 Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
I was one of this genius and it took hundreds of crashes to the ground. Even my new Arrow crashes several time. That's part of the Grind. A pilot that does not crash  a dozend  time with a plane does not know its limits. I mean I started with 1.9 the game was finished then. But on long sight it pays because above 100 meters the AAs are to strong. So I've found a machine which probably makes an old dream of mine come true. :child:

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

0berhessen #8 Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 6170 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

View PostFrateras, on 24 April 2020 - 10:22 PM, said:

Try the following: leave the Bombs for the Heavy in the Hangar, if you attack the Factory with a Heavy, climb high get both Bombers (which will sure be there if it is Bots) and watch the Factory switch blue.

In case there is another Heavy (a human can be even worse) attack this one before you get the Bomber.

Same is for Garrison, which is usually protected by 2 white  Defense Heavies and 3 white Defense Fighters,

Take out the Heavies first, one more Fighter and the Garrison is yours.

Thanks a million to apartclassic! This is the most useful Topic in the whole Forum!

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

TotalEgal #9 Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 20237 battles
  • [W___P] W___P
Some time ago I began nearly the same thread in German forum named "tasks of the team". But the more I play this game, the more I get to the point that about 20% are brainless means they don't get anything, even not after thousands of battles. And 50% of them don't care. Their comment is : It's just a game and I can do it, so I do it. Just a small rest who wants to get better and accepts hints and tips. 

nitemare_gary #10 Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 2868 battles
  • [RT0X] RT0X

View Postapartclassic, on 24 April 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

The guide is meant to reduce this type of situations...

But seriously, this is a really fantastic piece of work.

I know a few people who might want to start playing soon and I will make sure they read this before they do anything.

Like the top post on this topic>http://forum.worldof...599#entry602599                                Status: Currently blasting aircraft in time to loud alt 80s hits -

If you do, you will have earnt a place in the immortal hall of WOWP fame! :izmena:        Outcome: Will be late - 

Frateras #11 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:24 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

View PostTotalEgal, on 28 April 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

Some time ago I began nearly the same thread in German forum named "tasks of the team". But the more I play this game, the more I get to the point that about 20% are brainless means they don't get anything, even not after thousands of battles. And 50% of them don't care. Their comment is : It's just a game and I can do it, so I do it. Just a small rest who wants to get better and accepts hints and tips. 

God advice. I just have done so with my new Hornet and it works very well. With the Mosquito without specialization it was difficult because I can't focus the fire. The engines were to weak for. So I need skills and slots to bring them up. It is too easy to take a base with all that bombs and rockets and a full boost. Now the Mosquito got more fire power ... but still got no altitude and the GTs can't fly away. ;)

Edited by Frateras, 28 April 2020 - 10:26 PM.

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

0berhessen #12 Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 6170 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

View PostFrateras, on 28 April 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

God advice. I just have done so with my new Hornet and it works very well. With the Mosquito without specialization it was difficult because I can't focus the fire. The engines were to weak for. So I need skills and slots to bring them up. It is too easy to take a base with all that bombs and rockets and a full boost. Now the Mosquito got more fire power ... but still got no altitude and the GTs can't fly away. ;)

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack.

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

zen_monk_ #13 Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __

Yes yes we all know the book, became everyday point of reference for jokes 'n all, but can you remember the impact, the shocking joy when reading it for the first time?

I would pay a lot of money for a selective memory erase.

apartclassic #14 Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26567 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View Postzen_monk_, on 29 April 2020 - 09:49 AM, said:

Yes yes we all know the book, became everyday point of reference for jokes 'n all, but can you remember the impact, the shocking joy when reading it for the first time?

I would pay a lot of money for a selective memory erase.

Nah, don't pay, just wait a couple more years. Add some fat-rich food, more smokes, possibly lack of excercise and some alcohol. That memory thing someone was mentioning - was it you? - will come naturally and for free.

zen_monk_ #15 Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __

View Postapartclassic, on 29 April 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

fat-rich food, more smokes, possibly lack of excercise and some alcohol.

Working on these elements hard for quite a years, I hope your prescription is right.

TotalEgal #16 Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 20237 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

View PostFrateras, on 28 April 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

Wrong thread? 

Anyway I assume you wrote exactly the opposite of what appartclassic wanted to say! 

A Mosquito is still a heavy fighter, and a heavy fighter is still a fighter. If you can take bases easily by just attacking ground targets, you are a much better ground attack player than a fighter player.  

apartclassic #17 Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26567 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View PostTotalEgal, on 29 April 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Wrong thread? 

Anyway I assume you wrote exactly the opposite of what appartclassic wanted to say! 

A Mosquito is still a heavy fighter, and a heavy fighter is still a fighter. If you can take bases easily by just attacking ground targets, you are a much better ground attack player than a fighter player.  

This is the point I am trying to convey. This is a quickstart guide, not an advanced guide - it's aimed at new players. Everyone of us has seen that many times: a new player in a HF will go for a bombing run, and will crash/die to ADA/die to AA. I know people who say that bombs should be removed alltogether from HF below t5, to prevent new players of thinking of this class as bombers or ground pounders (and I've seen an Fw57 trying to bomb from 2000 meters - because... it has bombs... must be bomber, right?...). Indeed, we learn on mistakes, but they don't have to be our own mistakes. I'm pointing out a couple of misconceptions and common mistakes, repeated all the time by new players. If they are successful with their bombs and killing planes, good for them, they don't need this kind of advice. However there are plenty of players mis-playing their planes up to even high tiers, and as a consequence working against their teams.

levlos #18 Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:33 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7570 battles

Great Thread ApartClassic !

The huge mis-judgement I see most players do is fighters gunning ground targets. About 50% light fighters I see have spent all the game strafing ground installations, with zero results -most do not even destroy a single ground-target. Not only are they not helping the team at all, but they are also capture-point pinatas for anything passing by. Many have less than 100 air-to-air damage, or at most 1 air kill.

How can we help those poor souls that do that at tiers V and VI ?

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

apartclassic #19 Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 26567 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View Postlevlos, on 29 April 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

Great Thread ApartClassic !

The huge mis-judgement I see most players do is fighters gunning ground targets. About 50% light fighters I see have spent all the game strafing ground installations, with zero results -most do not even destroy a single ground-target. Not only are they not helping the team at all, but they are also capture-point pinatas for anything passing by. Many have less than 100 air-to-air damage, or at most 1 air kill.

How can we help those poor souls that do that at tiers V and VI ?

Nothing comes to my mind, seriously. I'm presuming it's like this - my plane is stock, so I have no chances in A2A combat untill I upgrade it, for which I need xp, and easiest xp is the ground targets. They never run away (not even on t10), they rarely shoot back, they make no evasive maneuvers, and usually I'm left alone doing that (because the ADA and concentrated AA is easy to ignore). Probably people think 'GT = easy xp' - which is a huge misconception too. Ground targets are the least valuable objects in the game in terms of gained xp and earned silver. Unless flying a GAA or a bomber, which are capable of dealing massive amount of damage to them (and keep in mind, damage done = xp/silver earned, with a small simplication) thus making up for the difference in value by sheer quantity of destruction, attacking GTs as means of earning anything is completely pointless. The amount of money and experience earned while strafing GTs for 3 minutes can be easily topped by killing 2 fighters, which is faster and also more fun (and more rewarding in the long run, also psychologically). Heck, truth be told the fastest way to upgrade any GAA to Elite status is by killing enemy fighters (but please don't do that untill you are really confident of your skills... because by engaging in A2A combat you are not doing your job for the team - see the points above). People who rush to t5 or t6 have no way of learning such basics, because they progress too fast to notice such nuances.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to a trough, but you won't force it to drink - we just can't make the playerbase play 'by the book'. Which doesn't mean I'm not giving them a chance to learn something just by reading about it, not by trial in error in countless lost battles.

mysterious codes used:

AA - Anti-Aircraft (guns, emplacement, fire)

ADA - Air Defence Aircraft

GAA - Ground Attack Aircraft

GT - Grand Tourismo. Oh wait, I mean Grand Target. Ground. Ground Target, dammit!

Edited by apartclassic, 29 April 2020 - 11:52 AM.

Frateras #20 Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:18 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

We agree that light fighters should not attack ground targets if there are flying targets on base. I sometimes did so when all the targets in the air were killed and I don't want to wait in the AA fire for new ones. just to keep the AAs down. They guns in the mid can be destroyed even by light fighters and I often got the impression that I could make the last missing points with. Meanwhile I almost leave that base and fly to the next one. It's more effective I think. What I don't understand when planes without bombs, rockets or 37 mm guns attack a factory plant. They are just a target for the AA and might prevent the capturing when they got shot. We got the issue, that we have many pilots with light fighter that got no chance in a AtoA combat. (Many HF or Multiroles can't dogfight too, but they have strong guns with far range and can kill a light fighter easily when they surprise it.) Somewhere this new pilots have to fly and make some points. I don't think they like to hear permanently - go fly in a low tier -. especially because many experienced pilots have specialized themselves for the lower tiers. So it's sometimes more easy to make points  in the higher or middle tiers. The only possible strategy does not exist. It's almost a mix of many tactics regarding changing circumstances. So there are reasons for "wrong" strategies and there is not enough communication in a game to discuss that. So might be flights with experienced pilots and beginners would help. Something like a mentoring system.

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Also tagged with gameplay, guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users