Using bomber as gunship?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

_GoGen_ #1 Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:05 PM

Airman Basic

• 204 battles

Some of you veterans must have tried this and I'd like to know if it has some potential for further equipment development.

To experiment a bit I tried low-level flight with (tier IV) He 111 bomber and discovered a few interesting things.

- In automode, actually multiple turrets shoot at the same time (this He 111 has them on sides as well)

- Among my team, I in fact didn't get attacked so often as I thought I would be, flying around in red zone

- Got Predator award after first lousy battle, lol

This makes me think about investing a lot in Gunsight, making huge firing range, since this thing fires on all sides.

Anyone went this way? How did it turn out?

Spoiler

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9503 battles
  • [__] __

For starters, let's make something perfectly clear: you won't have a chance against a human HF who knows what he's doing. Not until the last two tiers.

Wide arch of fire is a forte of US bombers tiers 6 and 7. You will be pretty successful against too eager Lights and very clumsy / low health HF's. All else is anecdotal.

Your best friend is longer range of rear guns and quick reaction for auto fire. You will dakka dakka left and right, will at least be a deterrent. But when in trouble, go manual.

You are currently on tier 4 where the atmosphere is a bit lighter, you fly a good bomber and you'll score more air kills then further up the tech tree until tier 10 when you'll dominate in all aspects - until/if they nerf it.

Edited by zen_monk_, 21 May 2020 - 05:33 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

zen_monk_ #3 Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9503 battles
  • [__] __
Oh, and forgot to mention but I guess you know it from WoT - your crew in 111 is a premium crew. Right now skilled only for that plane. When going up the tech tree - I guess you'll be doing a German one - take them into any new bomber, retrain to 90% (they will reach 100% in only a couple of battles), make them gain xp, retrain for the next in line, rinse and repeat. For whatever bomber they are proficient for, you can always take them back to 111 with no penalty for joy riding or silver / xp earning.

Edited by zen_monk_, 21 May 2020 - 05:43 PM.

_GoGen_ #4 Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Airman Basic

• 204 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 21 May 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

Oh, and forgot to mention but I guess you know it from WoT - your crew in 111 is a premium crew. Right now skilled only for that plane. When going up the tech tree - I guess you'll be doing a German one - take them into any new bomber, retrain to 90% (they will reach 100% in only a couple of battles), make them gain xp, retrain for the next in line, rinse and repeat. For whatever bomber they are proficient for, you can always take them back to 111 with no penalty.

Haha, yes, they are already trained 100% for Ju 88 a which I mostly fly (it's awesome with reload only 40s).

Psst... used some of WoT Free Exp for equipment boost.

Do 217 M is already in hangar, waiting!

Edited by _GoGen_, 21 May 2020 - 05:53 PM.

zen_monk_ #5 Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9503 battles
  • [__] __
KILGORE (O.S.) (into radio) Bomb them into the stone age, son.

_GoGen_ #6 Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

Airman Basic

• 204 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 21 May 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

KILGORE (O.S.) (into radio) Bomb them into the stone age, son.

Shame we don't get to drop napalm... 

Heard it smells good in the morning.

Edited by _GoGen_, 21 May 2020 - 06:02 PM.

apartclassic #7 Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:17 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 23119 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC
Actually, B-17G and B-32 are pretty gunshippy. They have so many turrets, you are practically shooting non-stop when something hostile is near. Not a good idea to fly them low, they are very clumsy planes, but they perform pretty well when kept within their white altitude, and since they both have that annoyingly long bomb reload time, one can have quite a lot of fun spending that time in reargunner's view throwing lead everywhere around. Special case must be made for A-26B - this thing has the 'six-gun nose', in fixed Brownings, giving it forward armament on par with many US light and multirole fighters.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

https://i.imgur.com/SdxyYWh.jpg

zen_monk_ #8 Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 9503 battles
  • [__] __

Yes, wonderful A-26B. More of a very heavy HF than a bomber. Still amazed to see guys trying extremely high bomber passes... go low & fast, dump the bombs in a precise line at targets in an enemy base and then go HF on defenders or competition's GAA. Fun.

RoyalFlyingCorps #9 Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17151 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

View Post_GoGen_, on 21 May 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

Psst... used some of WoT Free Exp for equipment boost.

You'll find you have, compared to WoT, free experience coming out of your ears if you play this game for a while.  I've spent 3.2 million — yes, million — on WoT, almost all earned in WoWP.  Despite that, I still have 5.7 million free experience and older hands than I have even more.

GonerNL #10 Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 11945 battles

Actually, you are almost forced to go low to get those gunner kills for specializing. Preferably an airstrip with only light ADA ... up at 3km you don't get many kills.

Normally I only go low with Pe-2's and A-26B. 

unseen_strike #11 Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 15108 battles
  • [LROLL] LROLL

View Postapartclassic, on 21 May 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Actually, B-17G and B-32 are pretty gunshippy. They have so many turrets, you are practically shooting non-stop when something hostile is near. Not a good idea to fly them low, they are very clumsy planes, but they perform pretty well when kept within their white altitude, and since they both have that annoyingly long bomb reload time, one can have quite a lot of fun spending that time in reargunner's view throwing lead everywhere around. Special case must be made for A-26B - this thing has the 'six-gun nose', in fixed Brownings, giving it forward armament on par with many US light and multirole fighters.

The American tier 5 is a good school for the American bombers. Good school because you have to play with an eye always on the map, you have to choose the best time for attack a cap, how you have go on max speed for bombing more targets and find the best escape lane. The difference with the big Brothers is that you can't win a cap with half of your bombs, and complete with your rear guns. The secret, imho, is to fly about 2,2/2,4km and go down till 1,4/1,5,when you are near the cap so you can take the max speed. Sorry for my English :bajan: