Westland P. 1056 6x20 mm or 4x 20mm and 2x40mm

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Frateras #1 Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
I have just finished the grind of the P.1056. With the strong machines it's pretty good to fly although my 9 point Spitfire V Pilot still needs the acrobat skill. What do you think are the better weapons 6x40mm is good to kill everything from the light fighter to the GAA  but against a pack of 5 bombers the 4x20mm and the 2x20mm is great fun. Two in one attack is easy. Then I have to turn around and attack new. I never got so much fun by killing bombers but it's harder to kill the light fighters. What do you thing is the better arming? 

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __

For me it's 2x40mm, cause I fly it as a HF - trying not to mess with lights & turners but picking fat clumsier targets. Bombers and GAA and othe HFs, and for them you need this alpha punch.

But if you still want to dance in a furball, 6x20 is better.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

zgubny #3 Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14229 battles
  • [_UN_] _UN_

View PostFrateras, on 25 May 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

I have just finished the grind of the P.1056. With the strong machines it's pretty good to fly although my 9 point Spitfire V Pilot still needs the acrobat skill. What do you think are the better weapons 6x40mm is good to kill everything from the light fighter to the GAA  but against a pack of 5 bombers the 4x20mm and the 2x20mm is great fun. Two in one attack is easy. Then I have to turn around and attack new. I never got so much fun by killing bombers but it's harder to kill the light fighters. What do you thing is the better arming? 

Wahou  6 x 40 mm  ??? keep this armament dude !!!! lol i'm joking of course ... i prefer to  use 4x20 mm + 2x 40 mm ,  bombs and rockets but to each his own ...

Edited by zgubny, 25 May 2020 - 05:19 PM.

Frateras #4 Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
I started this theme because I can't decide. Of course it's possible to chase light fighters from the distance as long as there a enough own lights above the base. It's a risk of course but a base is a base and has to be captured or defended at once. Well from the feeling, I feel better with the 6x20 mms because I often attack planes from the side and the speed of the 40 mm bullets is probably much slower than the speed of the 20 mm bullets. but the statistic might decide for the 40 mm which are tremendous compared with the 4x30 mms of the Me 262 a

Edited by Frateras, 25 May 2020 - 06:42 PM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

GonerNL #5 Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:22 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13353 battles

I was doing reasonably well with heavies until I reached tier VIII ... I just can't do anything right with planes like the P.1056 and Me-262. Don't know if it's the guns (low RoF) and lack of maneuverability (or the combination).

Have to keep trying I guess, cause everybody says the tier IX's are great.

zen_monk_ #6 Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __

View PostGonerNL, on 26 May 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

Yes, fantastic on both lines.

Keep on trying, will be worth it.

Frateras #7 Posted 26 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

Hey Goner,

keep distance with a far fire range and MM 1 and 2. I don't suggest may personal strategies any more. That's why I make it short.

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

atlasapl #8 Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3544 battles

View PostGonerNL, on 26 May 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

I was doing reasonably well with heavies until I reached tier VIII ... I just can't do anything right with planes like the P.1056 and Me-262. Don't know if it's the guns (low RoF) and lack of maneuverability (or the combination).

Glad its not just me. Hated the tier 8 & 9 262's. I thought high tier heavy fighters would be the way to go. It put me off so much I haven't bothered pursuing one of the other heavy lines further.

Mariu #9 Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha Tester
  • 4291 battles
  • [SITH] SITH

I join the 4x20mm 2x40mm group.

I first didn't like the 40mm and switched back to 6x20mm but found that it didn't kill the bombers good enough. So I took a bit of a break from the plane and then started play again the 4x2 setup and commiting totally to the bomber/GAA/HF hunting role with the odd LF/multi in the target mix. Also I dropped the bombs and rockets in the setup.

zen_monk_ #10 Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10523 battles
  • [__] __

View PostMariu, on 26 May 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

4x2 setup and commiting totally to the bomber/GAA/HF hunting role

THAT's what I'm talking about. That should be your role, and this plane equipped this way rocks.

levlos #11 Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7570 battles

Hey !

The P.1056 is awesome but it trades some traits for the powerful weaponry it carries. First, it has a low ceiling, meaning that it does not enjoy superiority against other aircraft as it climbs. Second, it has trouble out-running enemy fighters, because the high-tier fighters can boost as fast as the heavies -that means, no more breaking off the action with full boost while climbing. Speed differences between heavies and fighters at those tiers are lower, so you are less likely to escape a failed pass at a suspecting target unscathed. Against tier IXs, you are toast.

More annoyingly, fast enemy fighters have the habit of slipping between your 40mm shells, so its not safe anymore to go after them as you did in the previous tiers. Even deflection firing becomes very hard as the 20 and 40mm shells have different speeds: your best target is one that does fly straight ! Of course, you will enjoy the last second snapshot close-combat double impact with the 40mm quite often, but you should not base your tactics on it !

So, you trade flexibility of the previous British heavies for the ability to deliver lots of damage on a non-maneuvering target. Not that bad a trade. At tier X, with the Javelin, you  have no such problem: you can out-turn every heavy in the game and your homogeneous armament shines. Its a pity that its high ceiling is by then useless, because it is much higher than the altitude at which enemy bombers fly. I find the best spot for a heavy to be around tier 6: its where your qualities (acceleration, ceiling) allow you to best use your advantages against fighters and bombers.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

Frateras #12 Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:51 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10689 battles
  • [JV44] JV44

Hi levlos,

thanks for that advise. I think from distance are many things possible. Even a light fighter, because before he can react he has lost 50% of his points. but light fighters in the back especially at low altitude ,,, that does not work. It's the fire power which ist great and every thing else is a disadvantage compared to the most planes in game.  Except  the rockets and bombs of course. I almost destroy as much ground targets as planes. ... this fire power really is fantastic.

Edited by Frateras, 28 May 2020 - 02:53 PM.

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users