MiG I-250

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

GonerNL #1 Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13019 battles

Another plane that I found in a corner without a pilot ... must have promoted him to tier IX or X.

No reserve pilots, so i recruited a new one and started flying. Forgot how much fun it can be to obliterate unsuspecting targets with that 37mm. Turns OK and has good speed. Altitude good enough to chase bombers and heavies.

Trying to spec it and see if GOA makes that gun even better ...

Vladinir_Shotitov #2 Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 6394 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS
Would you all please stop doing this - it's very distracting :amazed:.  First the He100D, now this - which I'd remembered from 1.x as the most painful (by far...) part of the grind toward the MiG15.  As you say, once it's dusted-off and given a chance to get back into the great outdoors, it can actually fly/fight really rather well.  Don't know that I'd give it long against a well-flown F94D or 1092, but in this afternoon's battles it acquitted itself nicely.  Now I just have to go and look up what GOA might be...
For Demokan, this forum's Little Prince - GL & HF in your very own P38F

apartclassic #3 Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 25860 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View PostVladinir_Shotitov, on 02 July 2020 - 08:09 PM, said:

Would you all please stop doing this - it's very distracting :amazed:.  First the He100D, now this - which I'd remembered from 1.x as the most painful (by far...) part of the grind toward the MiG15.  As you say, once it's dusted-off and given a chance to get back into the great outdoors, it can actually fly/fight really rather well.  Don't know that I'd give it long against a well-flown F94D or 1092, but in this afternoon's battles it acquitted itself nicely.  Now I just have to go and look up what GOA might be...

Hey partner - GOA is General Offal (Assorted), but the actual brand on the packaging has the words reversed :)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Vladinir_Shotitov #4 Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 6394 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS
Ah, the proverbial Microsoft answer... :rolleyes:.  Careful, or I'll give away the big spoiler!
For Demokan, this forum's Little Prince - GL & HF in your very own P38F

0berhessen #5 Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 5836 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

View PostGonerNL, on 02 July 2020 - 03:25 PM, said:

Another plane that I found in a corner without a pilot ... must have promoted him to tier IX or X.

No reserve pilots, so i recruited a new one and started flying. Forgot how much fun it can be to obliterate unsuspecting targets with that 37mm. Turns OK and has good speed. Altitude good enough to chase bombers and heavies.

Trying to spec it and see if GOA makes that gun even better ...

Maybe not the best idea to fly Tier 8 with a Zero skill Pilot, why not use a Pilot with some skills, attach him into the plane bring him to 90% with credits? 2 or 3 battles you have him at 100%...

Speed and altitude are great! True go for Heavies and Bombers and the Gas Operated Action might work good!

Personally i dont like to keep that bird as i am not the sniper...

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

apartclassic #6 Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 25860 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC
It's hardly a sniper, if I remember right the 37mm has about 620 meters effective range - that's less then some 20mm cannons. It's also quick fire type, so adjusting your fire isn't big of an issue. Most welcome change, after the trauma of dual 20mm on I-210 two tiers earlier...

GonerNL #7 Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13019 battles
The 37mm is a fast-firing gun (180 r/m) unlike the one on the Yak-9 (but less range). I like it better than the 45mm sniper gun.

atlasapl #8 Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles
For some real bizarre reason I remember liking the I-250, but hated the Mig-9. Just couldn't get on with it. Strange. Cant explain it. Often thought about buying back the I-250.

apartclassic #9 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 25860 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

I have mixed feelings about this one. It's very MiG, and it's a girl. By being very MiG (plane is also known as MiG-13) I mean it's the high-altitude line; you can easily tell by the engine being bigger than the rest of the plane, and industrial-grade exhaust. Quite natural, for being a rather experimental design with an air reaction compressor jet, powered by conventional engine. Fancy, isn't it - but works very nice in regards to boost effectiveness and altitude performance. And this one is a girl, because you either play it her way, or you get spanked. Hard. In my experience this one excells at high altitude stuff, but when taken down to mid/low altitude, this huge and heavy engine makes it a stationary target for more agile fighters that specialize in mid altitude domination. Typical MiG gun configuration of one big/two smaller cannons is actually pretty effective, remembering it has mediocre range (and awful heating/cooling cycle). It's very good at killing HF and bot bombers, might struggle with human bombers. Overall, a quirky but interesting one.

Just flew it, out of curiosity, and the results tell. Apart from the full kills I had 4 assists, at least 3 of them being on bombers. I effectively shut them down, not letting them cap anything. Kicks like a mule, if one manages to bring it into good position:

Spoiler

Edited by apartclassic, 11 July 2020 - 06:31 PM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #10 Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17688 battles

I think you may know the wrong girls.  I've always done the spanking.

As for the I-250, it's not a flexible plane, but it has a specific role at which it's good.  Heavies and bombers at altitude are its meat and drink.

GonerNL #11 Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13019 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 11 July 2020 - 07:30 PM, said:

Typical MiG gun configuration of one big/two smaller cannons is actually pretty effective, remembering it has mediocre range (and awful heating/cooling cycle). 

Did you also put GOA on the gun slot ??

It makes the gun(s) more effective I think ... haven't done a lot of flying since specializing it a couple of days ago. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users