Ki-94-I, deep frustration and understanding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

atlasapl #1 Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:41 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles

The Ki-94-I is a lesson in deep frustration, understanding, and patience.

I hated this plane for a long time until I to understand how to play it, how to configure the equipment and what skills to put on the pilot. It has two flaws, manoeuvrability and gun dispersion. Neither can be fixed sufficiently to make a difference. You have no equipment slot for the wings/airframe so there is no point what so ever in putting the lightweight engine in the third slot. The difference it would make on its own would be negligible.

As for dispersion. I enhanced the gunsight to ultimate, and then calibrated it fully. I ended up with an accuracy increase of 31% (including marksman 1 & 2). Despite having two slots for the forward firing guns, I left them empty believing the increased accuracy alone would be a better solution. The rate of fire and time it takes for the guns to heat up were still a major problem. Plus the dispersion reduction didn’t seem to make a massive difference.

I decided to go for broke. I put both Reinforced Bolt Carriers and Gas Operated Action on, and enhanced them both to ultimate. Despite the negativities of both, I still come out with a positive accuracy over the default but with an increase in fire rate and burst length. When you are throwing 30 & 37mm cannon shells around you only need a few hits to ruin somebody’s day. I would rather throw more shells more often, than less shells less often in this.

All of the above has made the Ki-94-I my current guilty pleasure. It is still the same plane. Go high and shoot bombers, go low and shoot GAA’s. Do both before they get to a cap. It’s never going to set the personal points and team scores ablaze. But it has finally become fun to play.

As for the engine upgrade slot. For me there is only one choice and that is the uprated engine. Given there is only a 20 second boost, I think it’s the only sensible choice. So I enhanced it to ultimate and then calibrated it fully. It is never going to turn enough. The only things you can out turn are bombers and ground attack (IL-10 not included).

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10417 battles
  • [__] __

Finally someone else saw the light too :teethhappy:

Spoiler

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

atlasapl #3 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles

You have a massive 10 survivability you swine. I only have 9.

I think 11 or 12 is my top single battle kill score. I would be surprised if its much more.

Edited by atlasapl, 20 July 2020 - 02:53 PM.

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10417 battles
  • [__] __
Looks like we're alone here. Everybody else run from this plane as from the smelliest turd.

atlasapl #5 Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles
It would be boring if we all played the planes that were considered very good. Despite its very obvious shortcomings, the Ki-94-I is hilarious fun to play.

You either laugh at missing a bomber that is side on because every shell goes in all directions but straight. Or you fall off your chair laughing when a Spitfire comes head on and the gods of dispersion are with you for a change. Boom. Its gone in just a few bursts.

I get more satisfaction getting 10 kills in this than I would getting double that in a Spitfire.

zen_monk_ #6 Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10417 battles
  • [__] __

Amen!

Speaking of kills 9-10 is a good game here too. The one I posted was a shocker, happened once.

Edited by zen_monk_, 20 July 2020 - 07:11 PM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #7 Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 17688 battles
If you like your heavy fighters to be outturned by German GAAs, this is the one for you.

apartclassic #8 Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 25860 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC
I shall resist the temptation. I shall not succumb. Lord is my vanguard, yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of meta-turners, I will not... I will not...

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

0berhessen #9 Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 5827 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

Damn guys im running out of likes again!

Great Job atlaspl and zen_monk_!

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

houghtonbee #10 Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6578 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postatlasapl, on 20 July 2020 - 04:58 PM, said:

It would be boring if we all played the planes that were considered very good. Despite its very obvious shortcomings, the Ki-94-I is hilarious fun to play.

You either laugh at missing a bomber that is side on because every shell goes in all directions but straight. Or you fall off your chair laughing when a Spitfire comes head on and the gods of dispersion are with you for a change. Boom. Its gone in just a few bursts.

I get more satisfaction getting 10 kills in this than I would getting double that in a Spitfire.

Haha, this is almost exactly the experience I had flying this bloody thing yesterday (randomly picked it to do a hf mission, hadnt seen this thread). Remember shooting at a bot B17 from his 6 and watching cannon shells somehow come out of my weapons at about 45 degrees up :D

Then a human in a 109G decided to play head to head chicken with me.

Twice.

Lesson learnt for that player :D 

10k pp, around 10 kills, a good game for me in this particular oddity.

Edit - I agree its good to use aircraft that are rarely seen in game, I'm finding the only real fun left now is taking the 'less able' aircraft up and trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Edited by houghtonbee, 21 July 2020 - 06:17 AM.

GonerNL #11 Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13007 battles

View Postatlasapl, on 20 July 2020 - 04:58 PM, said:

It would be boring if we all played the planes that were considered very good. 

So true ...

Frateras #12 Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10420 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Nice Weapons. Many players seems to cover T-5-8 with prems like me. It's still missing in my collection.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

atlasapl #13 Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles

Two consecutive games, laughable inconsistancy. A typical day in the Ki-94-I. I do love this plane. :rolleyes:

atlasapl #14 Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3525 battles

Well hello Sunday. A quick blast this morning before getting ready for work later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users