Few player problems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SCK35 #1 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:02 PM

Airman Basic

• 26 battles
Why does wargaming not do anything about the number of players falling on the European server ? I play with boots all the time and I get bored of this situation

apartclassic #2 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 24786 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

*sigh*

Looking at the number of your battles, you are still playing tier 1 and 2, maybe 3. You are most probably still within protected MatchMaking, giving you bots to ease you into the game. As to your question, do not expect any answer.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

zen_monk_ #3 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10135 battles
  • [__] __

View PostSCK35, on 24 July 2020 - 05:02 PM, said:

I play with boots all the time and I get bored of this situation

You are in a protected, starting mode.

Don't worry. Soon you'll meet the regular human population on these early tiers. They like company so much that they fly in flights and have an interesting wings over their names. I guarantee you, you will not be bored.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

CheefCoach #4 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7744 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postapartclassic, on 24 July 2020 - 05:07 PM, said:

*sigh*

Looking at the number of your battles, you are still playing tier 1 and 2, maybe 3. You are most probably still within protected MatchMaking, giving you bots to ease you into the game. As to your question, do not expect any answer.

As far as I know, there is no protective mode for new players. 

https://stats-sig.eu/wowp/CheefCoach/ussr/xs/en/sig.png

CheefCoach #5 Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7744 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostSCK35, on 24 July 2020 - 05:02 PM, said:

Why does wargaming not do anything about the number of players falling on the European server ? I play with boots all the time and I get bored of this situation

Wargaming is publisher of the game, not the developer. 

Lack of human players is evident since the start of the game. This things have been done:

1. MM was changed from -2, to 0, to -1 as it is now. 

2. It was added system that interpolate graphic interface and airplanes in cases of lags. 

3. Very good bots were added into the game. 

4. Game was re-haul in version 2.0. There were other significant changes of the game. 

5. MM was changed in a way that if there is no humans available you will fight against team of bots.  

6. Different system of rewards were implemented in one point of the time. 

Nothing of that make drastically change to players population. Sometimes people were quieting in great percentage, and sometimes more players appear. But numbers never pass several thousand. 

As it is now, as far as we are aware, development of this game is discontinued. So what you have now is what you can expect. 

GonerNL #6 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 12700 battles
Noob protection ends when you get over 5k personal points ... I guess after 21 battles he has reached that.

Ziptop #7 Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7566 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

It can depend what tiers you play but also what time of day/night you play.

There are clear increases in human player population at certain times of day and of course at the weekend also. 

As you progress up the tiers you will note that there are usually a lot more humans - I think the popular tiers I've noted recently seem to be around tier 5 so you will start seeing this impact from tier 4.

Don't rush to get to the highest tiers if you have just started out though. If you are getting some nice easy matchmaking this is great for building your silver and free XP reserves and training some skills onto your pilots. 

prawiejakzywiec666 #8 Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 13372 battles
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-
I flew couple of games on tier 4-5 yesterday evening and approx. no of human players per team was 6-7. Don't worry they will take care about you. 

chikken

Pitulusu #9 Posted 25 July 2020 - 05:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1966 battles
  • [S_FI] S_FI
I prefer having bots in my team...

houghtonbee #10 Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 6341 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostPitulusu, on 25 July 2020 - 06:53 AM, said:

Depends whether you get the team of bots that attacks the important zones AS A TEAM or the team that rambles slowly around the map individually occasionally going into a garrison to be shot down within seconds.

Every damn game.

zen_monk_ #11 Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10135 battles
  • [__] __

I prefer having apartclassic.

Ziptop #12 Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7566 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

I must confess that recently I have been playing very late and hoping for bot only battles as I've been experimenting with this mouse tracking and camera views thing and shooty humans get in the way. I've also been very naughty and done a lot of this in lower tiers because...er....science or something. 

zen_monk_ #13 Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10135 battles
  • [__] __

View PostZiptop, on 25 July 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

. I've also been very naughty and done a lot of this in lower tiers because...er....science or something. 

Yes, that's it, science!!  That's the excuse word I was looking for. :teethhappy: Thank you!

jakub_czyli_ja #14 Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 6154 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

View PostCheefCoach, on 24 July 2020 - 04:38 PM, said:

Wargaming is publisher of the game, not the developer.

According to Wikipedia, WG acquired Persha Studio in 2011, so claim that WG isn't the developer isn't justified.

Block Quote

Lack of human players is evident since the start of the game. This things have been done:

At the very beginning, there were enough players, but game was (and still is) so broken, that players simply left, and game lost momentum.

CheefCoach #15 Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7744 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postjakub_czyli_ja, on 25 July 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

According to Wikipedia, WG acquired Persha Studio in 2011, so claim that WG isn't the developer isn't justified.

At the very beginning, there were enough players, but game was (and still is) so broken, that players simply left, and game lost momentum.

Wikipedia isn't valid source of information. It is more precise statement that they made deal about strategic partnership, but Persha is developer and directly in-charged with changing and developing the game. 

Your recollection differs from mine. At peak there were around 6000 players right at the start, and that is quite insufficient. Waiting times and player difference was adequate on low tiers, but not when you reach tier 7 or higher. That was also achieved by having 2 tiers spread, and it was really rough for the bottom tier, especially at tier 7 that had to regularly face jet planes. Certain percentage of player will quit, and that left small community even smaller. 

Main problem is that War Thunder come up first and they read the market in better way. People who likes flying planes likes simulators not arcades. Engine that they were using was also inadequate for maps of this size (that for we are having compressed altitudes). Old WoWp had really good settings that weren't clearly explained to new players; and controlling of plane did require some practicing. 

In patch 1.5 they change how controls were behaving and people who weren't familiar with adjusting settings of control struggle. So that was bad for population. But what hurt this game the most was changing MM to same tier. Times of queue skyrocketed, and became ridiculous in tiers above 5, and battles in those middle and high tiers were often 1 vs 1, or 2 vs 2. 

Ziptop #16 Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7566 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

I didn't know the compressed altitude thing is related to a game engine limitation. 

Cheers for the brief history of WoWp there, an interesting read.

jakub_czyli_ja #17 Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 6154 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

View PostCheefCoach, on 25 July 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

Wikipedia isn't valid source of information. It is more precise statement that they made deal about strategic partnership, but Persha is developer and directly in-charged with changing and developing the game.

The real question is - how much are they independent, what decisions can they make on their own, and what need to be agreed in Minsk.

I'm not skilled enough to dig into Ukrainian Internet to look for Persha ownership structure, but from what I've seen about such partnerships, it's like both companies exchange some shares, and finally bigger one (read: WG) owns smaller (read: Persha) for a price to smaller' founders/previous owners.

Since WoWP most likely doesn't earn for a whole company (company as Persha), and Persha does work for WG, WG effectively keeps Persha alive. So WG as a founder has all rights, and shall have all the blame for WoWP failure.

Block Quote

Your recollection differs from mine. At peak there were around 6000 players right at the start, and that is quite insufficient. Waiting times and player difference was adequate on low tiers, but not when you reach tier 7 or higher. That was also achieved by having 2 tiers spread, and it was really rough for the bottom tier, especially at tier 7 that had to regularly face jet planes. Certain percentage of player will quit, and that left small community even smaller.

That was one of many flaws caused by directly copying WoT on meta level.

Still there were enough players to launch endgame content, but it didn't happen - another nail to the coffin.

Block Quote

Main problem is that War Thunder come up first and they read the market in better way. People who likes flying planes likes simulators not arcades. Engine that they were using was also inadequate for maps of this size (that for we are having compressed altitudes). Old WoWp had really good settings that weren't clearly explained to new players; and controlling of plane did require some practicing.

Altitude compression may be limited by engine, but I doubt that's the main reason.

More likely - it's for gameplay reasons. Reality of aerial fights under 5km over the Ost Front is more familiar to ex-Soviet countries players (that's the main target group for WoT, so also for WoT-With-Planes), contrary to aerial fights of US bombing offensive tha happened on 8+km, more familiar to western players.

I wouldn't blame WoWP for being arcade, it was okish, other factors were nails in the coffin.

Block Quote

In patch 1.5 they change how controls were behaving and people who weren't familiar with adjusting settings of control struggle. So that was bad for population. But what hurt this game the most was changing MM to same tier. Times of queue skyrocketed, and became ridiculous in tiers above 5, and battles in those middle and high tiers were often 1 vs 1, or 2 vs 2. 

MM+2 was totally screwed up, and was one of major things causing players to leave (WoT players aren't also fond of such, see how much apparent work WG does to keep MM+2 as it is in WoT). MM+1/0 had own issues, but was much better. Only hardliners in WG/Persha reacted, as usual, too late, and even when MM+1/0 fixed some issues, introduced another set of, because there were already too few players.

Finally battles 2 vs 2 and resulted with the best change that happened to WoWP - bots. Of course, bots are still screwed up, in the best WG manner (I also believe that game is rigged looking at what bots do in battles), yet still providing target rich environment for players made the game much better, and finally stabilized population.

(*) To name few:

* 3 people flights, nice example of too little, too late: https://blog.worldof...ts-and-balance/

* ramming - once I did a count - from 24 players in a battle, half deaths came from head on and ram, and here is a Persha top minds view on that: https://blog.worldof...ng-weapon-aces/ - it was edited, because I asked under the article, why didn't they remove frag for ram, and they answered that they don't see this as an issue. Something directly against all problem-solving techniques I've learnt, like 5 whys - nobody really asked, why players ram?

zen_monk_ #18 Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10135 battles
  • [__] __

View PostZiptop, on 25 July 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

I've also been very naughty and done a lot of this in lower tiers because...er....science or something. 

You meant something like this?

CheefCoach #19 Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 7744 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Publisher always have some input into the game, but it is developer who ultimately do the job. Based on what I know with Lenka and World of Warship, they have enough independence to count them as responsible party. 

Ziptop #20 Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7566 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

View Postzen_monk_, on 25 July 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

You meant something like this?

It's mine!!!! 

"Caution (look the other way) Sciencing in progress."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users