Total loss of flight/input controls in game - joystick.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ziptop #1 Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7854 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

I know this won't ever be looked into but I'll post it anyway.

In several battles now I have experienced total loss of input/flight controls. In the 2 most recent occasions I have had the opportunity to experiment with it. 

Symptom. 

Game is playing fine, randomly complete loss of control occurs. This seems to happen at respawn. 

it does not seem to matter how many games you have played when this occurs. I have seen it happen during really long sessions and this most recent occurance was during the 5th battle of the day. 

Observations. 

It was possible to get into the config menu (therefore the keyboard actually still works)

While in the config menu I can access the "signal correction" part of the menu. Viewed here my axes are registered correctly. Joystick, Throttle, Rudder inputs all look fine. 

It was possible to restore fire control (trigger) by rebinding the same input from joystick. 

Making changes to signal correction/axis input did not restore control of any of the axes themselves. 

Unfortunately there is no field to actually BIND axes in the settings menu. You can bind "keys" but flight control input binding is (mouse, joystick, gamepad etc) is somewhat automated and no manual option exists that could have forced the game to read those Axes.

Required a Ctrl/Alt/Del escape to desktop and kill/restart of the game client to fix. 

Environment (hardware/software)

Windows 10 x64 1903

i7 8086k, 32Gb, 1080ti

Virpil Constellation Alpha + WarBRD base.* (X & Y Axes)

Virpil War BRD Rudder pedals (rZ  Axis)

Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle (Slider Axis. All other hardware axes are inhibited in virpil software)

*This issue has been observed also with Virpil MongoosT-50 grip + T-50 base. May also have been observed with Thrustmaster T16000 joystick. 

I am not using any vJoy type driver/softwares to present the hardware to windows/game. It works fine natively. 

Thoughts. 

It is as if the game decided to not read the config file for controls when I respawned.  

These controls are pretty damned solid otherwise. This is a rare bug which I only see very rarely in WoWp. The hardware is NOT at fault, it works very well in pretty much every other sim I use it in and (usually) works fine with WoWp. 

This bug costs the player money (unable to kill + repair cost for deaths results in a net loss) which is annoying.

Edited by Ziptop, 14 September 2020 - 10:36 AM.

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10415 battles
  • [__] __

View PostZiptop, on 14 September 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

Thoughts. 

It is as if the game decided to not read the config file for controls when I respawned.  

The game lost your data.

It happens to me frequently when my internet connection is choppy (not with joystick controls, m&k here, but in performance). Ever played a battle where all of the sudden your plane behaves like a stock one, and your pilot gimps out? You can't turn as you turned, can't hit precisely as you always did in that plane etc?

My guess is they have some safety lines in the script for when the game loses your data - "here's the stock plane and stock 100% proficient pilot until you restart so I can see who you are and what exactly you do fly".

I have to restart the game, make the server again see all the parameters for me - upgrades on the plane, skills of the pilot - and then it's fine and dandy again. I guess the same goes for your joystick settings - the server can't find them in that instance, forgot them. So it runs the safety protocol lines. "OK I know it's Ziptop but can't see anything else. So Ziptop, here's all basic for you until I again see all I have to see for you."

Edited by zen_monk_, 14 September 2020 - 11:39 AM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Ziptop #3 Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7854 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

I'll buy some of that. I too have had moments where it did indeed feel like my aircraft/pilot were handling differently. (Although this would be really clear with aircraft which have Dakka when stock but can be upgraded to Budha Budha such as the F4U-1)

However for control input? Surely that's all client side? Would not require any server interaction at all?

No idea of the game reads the config each time you respawn but it would make sense if it got loaded to memory and then checked each time. Some glitch corrupts that data and bingo...

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10415 battles
  • [__] __

My guess is that at the start of the battle the game has two separate sets of information on you.

One is a basic one: who are you as a player, what plane do you fly (tech tree improvements - engine 2, guns 3 etc and modules) and who's the pilot in there.

The second - separate - group is: what equipment you have onboard, speccing data if it's specced, and your pilot's skills.

The glitch occurs during the longer sessions - be it a choppy moment in your connection, some slight stroke on the server, whatever - and the game suddenly loses this second group of information on you. I've noticed it during the looong grind of my Sabre pilot. Done  dozens of games in a row daily with the same plane (already souped up full) and the same pilot. So it becomes very fluent for you, you know fully how the plane behaves and what it would do. Then all the sudden, say on 12th game, it gimps out completely. Can't turn not even with MF's, Lights are chewing me. Regardless of being bots of humans, doesn't matter - my plane/pilot suddenly gimped out big time, like I have no equipment whatsoever and a simple 100% pilot without a single skill.

First time it was wtf moment, called for a break and coffee. Restarted the game 20 minutes later, all is fine again, my Sabre is what it's supposed to be. 45 minutes later, again a gimp battle...

I can give you more, but this example is enough. Shared this with a much better player than me, firstly met with doubt, and a day or two later it was "hey, just had an unexplainable gimp performance here too".

Don't know where or how your stick controls fits into, but from what you described it's from the same group of glitches.

Edited by zen_monk_, 14 September 2020 - 02:06 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

dreambill #5 Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 5470 battles
  • [GR-12] GR-12

To me loosing joystick control has became a daily matter and usually in the first or second battle.

Don't play more usually, so I cannot say if after the restart works for long

Also at first start, the game hung at password screen and to proceed (without restart), I need to change user in windows (8.1), selecting the same user again and magically everything works!!???:facepalm:

zgubny #6 Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13747 battles
  • [D-302] D-302

View PostZiptop, on 14 September 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

In several battles now I have experienced total loss of input/flight controls. In the 2 most recent occasions I have had the opportunity to experiment with it. 

Symptom. 

Game is playing fine, randomly complete loss of control occurs. This seems to happen at respawn. 

This bug costs the player money (unable to kill + repair cost for deaths results in a net loss) which is annoying.

Hello Ziptop ,

i play only with mouse and keyboard and since a couple of days i remarked that i have a total loss of control after a respawn in a battle : at the very start of the respawn ( after being killed the first time in the battle )

my mouse doesn't make my plane move in any direction and the keyboard is still active but flight controls ( W , A , D ...  buttons ) don't work  , excepted if i want to write something .

I press "Enter " a couple of times then it activates/desactivates the in-game chat but the plane is still flying straight forward and after a moment for some reason the controls come back ...

In general i have this bug after my first or my second battle of the day , even if i only play  a few battles .

GonerNL #7 Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:20 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 12999 battles
Using a T,16000m and before that Extreme 3D, but - apart from the infamous 2019 Holidays joystick bug - I have never experienced this ...

Ziptop #8 Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 7854 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

View Postzgubny, on 14 September 2020 - 06:56 PM, said:

Hello Ziptop ,

i play only with mouse and keyboard and since a couple of days i remarked that i have a total loss of control after a respawn in a battle : at the very start of the respawn ( after being killed the first time in the battle )

my mouse doesn't make my plane move in any direction and the keyboard is still active but flight controls ( W , A , D ...  buttons ) don't work  , excepted if i want to write something .

I press "Enter " a couple of times then it activates/desactivates the in-game chat but the plane is still flying straight forward and after a moment for some reason the controls come back ...

In general i have this bug after my first or my second battle of the day , even if i only play  a few battles .

So this is the exact same thing then, total loss of flight controls (but for you it is mouse and for me its joystick) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users