Bristol Beaufighter V Special Bundle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:23 AM

Aviation HQ

• Advanced Member
  • 0 battles
Become the owner of the British Bristol Beaufighter V heavy fighter!

Full news text

TungstenHitman #2 Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:42 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 3064 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

I love the Beaufighter but this premium version just seems too gimped. It has 2 instead of 4 20mm cannons, no wing machine guns(the tech tree has 6 btw) and it has no option to carry ordinance where the tech tree version can be pimped out with a drag reduction pilon to carry 2 500lb bombs and 8 rockets for very little speed penalty... and can take out the central building of a Mine plant in one quick pass... it's basically turned into an early A-10 Warthog lol.

dapprman #3 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha Tester
  • 3485 battles
  • [YARRR] YARRR

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 November 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

I love the Beaufighter but this premium version just seems too gimped. It has 2 instead of 4 20mm cannons, no wing machine guns(the tech tree has 6 btw) and it has no option to carry ordinance where the tech tree version can be pimped out with a drag reduction pilon to carry 2 500lb bombs and 8 rockets for very little speed penalty... and can take out the central building of a Mine plant in one quick pass... it's basically turned into an early A-10 Warthog lol.

It's close to the actual test plane they tried, except that had just a turret (from what I remember) and was found to be too slow due to the extra weight and drag.
Seem to remember when this came out earlier this year (was there a mission round it ?) people actually found it to be a lot better than expected, almost as if there were some hidden bonuses in the turret.

£25 for a tier 5 heavy though - lol - wargaming are charging about £18 for the extras ...

Legionaryeagle #4 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:28 PM

Airman Basic

• 4485 battles
  • [W___P] W___P

Well done WG ....another "Rip oFF"  for the new gamers who dont know .......outstanding !!!

RoyalFlyingCorps #5 Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18117 battles
This is actually a good plane and the turret is very strong, more so than the standard tech tree plane's.  That said, if you didn't get it for free during the mission marathon, I wouldn't say you need this desperately.

Vladinir_Shotitov #6 Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 7447 battles
  • [COSTS] COSTS

Returning to a bit of a theme of mine, no-one actually "needs" it.  However, if money is burning a hole in your pocket (yeah, right...) then a Beau 5 with fully-upgraded parts is a fearsome beast for its tier.  Drop in some experienced crew and you won't look back; your overdraft, however, will not thank you.

...yes, I know, that's too many 'howevers'.  The geezer wot learned me grammer will be rotating in his crypt.

For Demokan, this forum's Little Prince - GL & HF in your very own P38F

jakub_czyli_ja #7 Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:03 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 6736 battles
  • [XII-2] XII-2

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 November 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hidden stats of these cannons make the 2 quite even with 4 of tree Beaufighter. The difference shows up when raw dps comes into play.

For free (or really cheap, I don't remember if I paid anything for it), it's pretty nice.

To pay for? It's only tier V premium. It doesn't earn much nor trains crew effectively.

dreambill #8 Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Conquest Member
  • 5775 battles
  • [GR-12] GR-12

The normal beaufighter if not better, is at least as good as this. As said above for free (playing missions to get it) is nice, but not worth to pay for it.

The major difference is the turret.

Here it faces forward and works offensively adding to the cannons and equalizing the missing firepower.

In normal beau it faces backwards (so needs a lot of time to rotate forward) and is weaker. It has the normal role of rear defense as the rest planes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users