How to get aircraft type III when flying an attack aircraft?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

enceladus2050 #1 Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:32 PM

Airman Basic

• 512 battles

Hello everyone,

I just started to play this game and I am doing the left Combat Reconaissance missions.

My question is - How can I ever get to aircraft type III when flying an attack aircraft ? Or a bomber ? With fighters, heavy fighters and multiroles I easy get aircraft type III. I tried with several tier 2 and 3 aircraft and I get killed very fast when I aproach the ground.

Frateras #2 Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:31 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 10990 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
Just look in the tech trees. There are often no AAs and bombers in tier1 and 2. But they are connected in research with other planes developed before which can provide the experience credits for researching them. The Russians starts at T2 with Bombers and AAs.

Edited by Frateras, 21 November 2020 - 07:54 AM.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

andrew3142 #3 Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 11780 battles

I think the OP is asking about getting chevrons during a game(?)

I think the answer is that at the low tiers it is quite hard, especially in a GAA because you are slow and weak; in a bomber you can try flying high and staying away from bot heavy fighters but it’s boring gameplay (and if a heavy does catch you, you are slow and weak!)

Note also that there are (3) specific objectives for each class that you have to complete to earn chevrons - they are the circles with segments at the bottom of the screen. For GAAs it is capture points, damaged sections and captured sectors (I think) and for bombers it is similar but destroyed objects rather than damaged sections of objects. So, to earn chevrons you have to do some or all of these actions (I’m not 100% sure how they map across but they are the way chevrons are awarded)

These classes do get better (and the high tier bombers are arguably OP) but the grind can be painful 

Good luck 

Finitan #4 Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:37 AM

Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 1552 battles
  • [ICE] ICE

View Postenceladus2050, on 20 November 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

I just started to play this game and I am doing the left Combat Reconaissance missions.

My question is - How can I ever get to aircraft type III when flying an attack aircraft ? Or a bomber ? With fighters, heavy fighters and multiroles I easy get aircraft type III. I tried with several tier 2 and 3 aircraft and I get killed very fast when I aproach the ground.

Hi,

I'll try to help you a little. I haven't the game open right now so I can't take screen from the game but when you are in battle press TABS to see players of both team and in the bottom part of the screen you have 3 circles. When you press ALT (TABS to stay in this screen + ALT for additional information) and if you move your mouse cursor on those circles you will see what you have to do to win chevrons depending the stage you are on

At the end of the game they are resume like this : 

https://worldofwarpl...orials/guide/#3

(screen from the website) :

I will update with in game screen latter, when I start playing, but i dont now how to put screens here. It says post is too long...

blindfoId #5 Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:49 AM

• Developer
  • 22 battles
Probably, this article can be helpful :)

zgubny #6 Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 15260 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View PostblindfoId, on 21 November 2020 - 11:49 AM, said:

Probably, this article can be helpful :)

in this article these 2 different badges are described as "Flying Paladin Badge" ... :unsure:

ИзображениеИзображение

Frantiszek_ #7 Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• Conquest Member
  • 37499 battles
  • [D-FJ] D-FJ

Light fighter - 17 planes

Heavy fighter - 15 planes

RoyalFlyingCorps #8 Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 20245 battles

View Postzgubny, on 21 November 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

in this article these 2 different badges are described as "Flying Paladin Badge" ... :unsure:

ИзображениеИзображение

The second one is "Flying Warrior".

Frateras #9 Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10990 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
If it is about the chevrons, the AAs are victims since version 2.0, good luck.

Black Ships Ate The Sky                                                                                                                              Exterminating Angel

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Mercy Seat                                                                                                                                                                    Room To Live

Aimless #10 Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:46 PM

• Beta Tester
  • 5810 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Almost all GAAs up to tier III are just disgusting to play. They're just too slow for the general distances between the cap zones. Stop wasting your precious time and move up the tiers. Relief will start with tier IV.

Edited by Aimless, 21 November 2020 - 07:46 PM.

enceladus2050 #11 Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:30 PM

Airman Basic

• 512 battles

Thank you everyone for your answers!

To be more specific I was referring to "Attack Aircraft master mission" where I need to get ayrcraft type grade III in 3 battles. 

I tried with Tsh-2 (tier 2) and Wirraway (tier 3) and I didn't had any chance. I got killed very quickly by the fighters or AA.

I researched through the trees and I found Ju-87 (tier 5) and Il-2 (tier 5). What do you guys think ?

I don't intend to play ground attack aircraft since I don't like them. I just want to complete that mission.

Frateras #12 Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:59 PM

• Advanced Member
  • 10990 battles
  • [JV44] JV44
The IL-2 probably is the best line for AAs. It got lots of arms. Enough to destroy a base alone. It is heavy to fly because of that overload, Might be you're lucky. Fly deep and hide as good as you can. Look for the mine plants because there are no base bots but lots of ground targets, good luck. 

Lucifer over London

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Ziptop #13 Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 8269 battles
  • [_-0-_] _-0-_

I agree with above. Below tier 4 it's going to be extremely difficult and rely on a lot of good fortune. 

I think the conditions to gain chevrons are...

Parts of ground target. 

Capture points? (Whatever they are called. You get more for killing the whole target)

Sectors captured.

A combination of these three things will earn you the chevrons.

Basically you need to kill lots of ground targets and if you only have guns and a couple of light bombs in a slow moving Ground Attacker you will not be able to kill enough of the fortified targets to meet the requirements. 

This may be possible in a bomber though. Is the mission for bombers also? 

GonerNL #14 Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 14235 battles

Agree with others ; IL-2 is the way to go. German GA are less powerful.

I just got the 3 chevrons flying IL-2 in Crimson Dawn for the 3rd GA mission.

enceladus2050 #15 Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:55 PM

Airman Basic

• 512 battles
Sorry guys, I have flown the Il-2, but I have no chance to get aircraft type III. The plane is killed very fast by the fighters or AA guns. It has low maneuverability and low speed. And when I have good score, the battle is too short and don't have enough time!

levlos #16 Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 8768 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

View Postenceladus2050, on 10 January 2021 - 12:55 AM, said:

Sorry guys, I have flown the Il-2, but I have no chance to get aircraft type III. The plane is killed very fast by the fighters or AA guns. It has low maneuverability and low speed. And when I have good score, the battle is too short and don't have enough time!

Hey !

A couple of remarks and tips:
- the Il-2 is indeed VERY slow, frustratingly so. But it has many hit points and very good guns. Don't worry about the rear gunner, they are useless at those tiers (except for the SE100 heavy fighter)
- In the il-2, you get chevrons by doing what your aircraft type is expected to do, here, it is destroying ground sections and capping sectors. Only this counts for you.
- It is true again that you are easy prey for other planes. You fly low, and it will hinder defense planes (AI planes don't do very well at very low altitude, so stay there)
- last, releasing bombs to kill pursuing enemies is likely to work well, but it is not a viable defense. If you get intercepted alone and there are reds around, you WILL die !

So, after we all acknowledge the above, here are some things you could or should do:
1- Pick wisely the base you attack. It takes you so long to get there, that you have to plan in advance.
2- privilege the special bases: missile bases, and plants. Get the central buildings first, and then finish the others once you did that.
3- Go to bases where there are no human fighters around, or red dots in general. If you stay low above a base, you WILL eventually cap it.
4- Crash yourself into the ground. Yes, CRASH YOURSELF once you got a base (there is no penalty for doing this for the first 30 seconds or so). Or crash outside a base. Why ? Because you might get to respawn on an airfield or somewhere else that is closer to the next base you want to cap. This way, you get full boost again, and you will lower the time in transit.
5- Send bots to assist you: a bot that annoys the defenders will buy you time to get your job done near the ground.

In general, the il-2 is so slow that it will frustrate you often. You do not have the luxury of the Pe-2 that has high speed and can change the angle of approach and avoid enemies. But once you get over a base, you should learn to identify how many rockets or bombs it takes to destroy every building. Keep rockets and bombs for hard buildings, do the rest with your power guns. No-one has the kind of firepower you have, that is why the designers balanced your plane by making it as slow as a biplane, remember that. Otherwise you would be too powerful.

Specialize it quickly so that you can upgrade your resistance to tail and wing damage, plus your rate of fire. Do not engage aircraft like you did in your BsH-2, except if it is just in front of you, your guns are not for this (unlike the il-10).

Patience, planning and crashing should get you your chevrons alright !

Edited by levlos, 09 January 2021 - 11:37 PM.

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

enceladus2050 #17 Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:39 AM

Airman Basic

• 512 battles

View Postlevlos, on 09 January 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hey !

A couple of remarks and tips:
- the Il-2 is indeed VERY slow, frustratingly so. But it has many hit points and very good guns. Don't worry about the rear gunner, they are useless at those tiers (except for the SE100 heavy fighter)
- In the il-2, you get chevrons by doing what your aircraft type is expected to do, here, it is destroying ground sections and capping sectors. Only this counts for you.
- It is true again that you are easy prey for other planes. You fly low, and it will hinder defense planes (AI planes don't do very well at very low altitude, so stay there)
- last, releasing bombs to kill pursuing enemies is likely to work well, but it is not a viable defense. If you get intercepted alone and there are reds around, you WILL die !

So, after we all acknowledge the above, here are some things you could or should do:
1- Pick wisely the base you attack. It takes you so long to get there, that you have to plan in advance.
2- privilege the special bases: missile bases, and plants. Get the central buildings first, and then finish the others once you did that.
3- Go to bases where there are no human fighters around, or red dots in general. If you stay low above a base, you WILL eventually cap it.
4- Crash yourself into the ground. Yes, CRASH YOURSELF once you got a base (there is no penalty for doing this for the first 30 seconds or so). Or crash outside a base. Why ? Because you might get to respawn on an airfield or somewhere else that is closer to the next base you want to cap. This way, you get full boost again, and you will lower the time in transit.
5- Send bots to assist you: a bot that annoys the defenders will buy you time to get your job done near the ground.

In general, the il-2 is so slow that it will frustrate you often. You do not have the luxury of the Pe-2 that has high speed and can change the angle of approach and avoid enemies. But once you get over a base, you should learn to identify how many rockets or bombs it takes to destroy every building. Keep rockets and bombs for hard buildings, do the rest with your power guns. No-one has the kind of firepower you have, that is why the designers balanced your plane by making it as slow as a biplane, remember that. Otherwise you would be too powerful.

Specialize it quickly so that you can upgrade your resistance to tail and wing damage, plus your rate of fire. Do not engage aircraft like you did in your BsH-2, except if it is just in front of you, your guns are not for this (unlike the il-10).

Patience, planning and crashing should get you your chevrons alright !

Thanks for the advices. 

How the hell this guy has 3k points and type I just destroying the white base at the beginning ?? https://www.youtube....ab_channel=LMG    I would hardly get 500-600 points for doing the same. Nobody attacked him. It's like he was alone on the map.

Edited by enceladus2050, 10 January 2021 - 12:49 AM.

apartclassic #18 Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27965 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

View Postenceladus2050, on 10 January 2021 - 12:39 AM, said:

Thanks for the advices. 

How the hell this guy has 3k points and type I just destroying the white base at the beginning ?? https://www.youtube....ab_channel=LMG    I would hardly get 500-600 points for doing the same. Nobody attacked him. It's like he was alone on the map.

This is LMG, a player from NA server. He used to be a GAA main (i.e. flying mainly GAA), and had posted some useful guides about them, including one that is still present on the official WoWP Discord. His IL-2 may not be specialized, but the player is rather experienced - you can see a Beta-tester emblem on his plane. All of that means he knows what targets to attack and how many shots/bombs/rockets are needed for each segment and target, knows his trigger discipline, and is able to maneuver the plane pretty well.

He has these points for destroying at least 3 full GTs, one of which was the 80 pointer, main building of the mining plant. Plus a bonus PP for capturing a sector. Type I (or rather 1st chevron) was in this case awarded for total segments destroyed or capture points received - probably the latter, seeing he destroyed the 80 and two 50 point targets. In case of sectors captured I think it's 2 sectors for the 1st chevron. Getting 1st chevron over garrison is also possible, but you need to spend a lot more time on it and destroy more than 3 GTs. In short, for chevrons you need a combination of destroyed segments of GTs, capture points received, and sectors captured - each of these has its own scale, the sum of all 3 makes up your total number of chevrons (and is considered by game's stats as 'plane performance' rating).

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

enceladus2050 #19 Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:43 AM

Airman Basic

• 512 battles

View Postapartclassic, on 10 January 2021 - 08:07 AM, said:

This is LMG, a player from NA server. He used to be a GAA main (i.e. flying mainly GAA), and had posted some useful guides about them, including one that is still present on the official WoWP Discord. His IL-2 may not be specialized, but the player is rather experienced - you can see a Beta-tester emblem on his plane. All of that means he knows what targets to attack and how many shots/bombs/rockets are needed for each segment and target, knows his trigger discipline, and is able to maneuver the plane pretty well.

He has these points for destroying at least 3 full GTs, one of which was the 80 pointer, main building of the mining plant. Plus a bonus PP for capturing a sector. Type I (or rather 1st chevron) was in this case awarded for total segments destroyed or capture points received - probably the latter, seeing he destroyed the 80 and two 50 point targets. In case of sectors captured I think it's 2 sectors for the 1st chevron. Getting 1st chevron over garrison is also possible, but you need to spend a lot more time on it and destroy more than 3 GTs. In short, for chevrons you need a combination of destroyed segments of GTs, capture points received, and sectors captured - each of these has its own scale, the sum of all 3 makes up your total number of chevrons (and is considered by game's stats as 'plane performance' rating).

Ok thanks for the answer.

I managed quite easy to get aircraft type III with other types of airplanes (Fighters, Heavy Fighters, Multirole and Bombers), but with attack aircraft I simply can't do it.

Edited by enceladus2050, 11 January 2021 - 01:43 AM.

andrew3142 #20 Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 11780 battles

Hi enceladus2050

I just had a quick look at your profile and, for your GAA, you seem to have a very low ratio of Ground Targets Destroyed

(E.g. You have destroyed 14 ground targets in 13 battles with the Bsh-2)

If you don't completely destroy targets, you don't get any capture points and therefore won't get any credit for capturing sectors, and I believe these are two of the three metrics used to calculate your rank (chevrons/type) so I would suggest that you focus more on finishing off targets rather than just damaging them - shoot up the soft targets (tents, wooden huts) with your guns whilst waiting for your bombs to reload

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users