A6M

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

apartclassic #1 Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27575 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

There's a very competent 'naval histriographer' (not a typo, his logo says so) by the name of Drachinifel. His YT channel is an amazing source of information about warships from different periods, up to about WW2. However, due to nature of naval warfare in and post this war, he is forced to talk a lot about aircraft too. For that, he usually reaches out to people more competent in aviation history, asking them to provide more detailed info. I believe I already linked some of his material.

He has two very good pieces on the iconic A6M, and they are worth listening to. It's obviously English, but I suspect there will be subtitles (though they may be autogenerated, in which case they will contain a lot of strange items - take it with a grain of salt if you prefer reading subtitles to listening to what's being said). The first deals with a pretty common myth of A6M being not original Japanese design (a myth similar to the discussion about Spitfire's laminar wing and its 'real' origin):

The other one tries to answer the question of how good/bad the plane really was:

I highly recommend both, not only because of the data related to this particular plane, but also a lot of contextual information (since it's impossible to talk about Zero without mentioning its opponents, or doctrine used, or technological advancements). It's time well-spent.

As a bonus, I highly recommend finding Drach's 3 other videos - two about Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron (journey preceding the Battle of Tsushima and about the battle itself), and the last one about the Imperial Russian ship 'Kamchatka'. The three videos are bound to put a huge grin on your ugly mugs :)

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

zen_monk_ #2 Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:19 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10765 battles
  • [__] __

View Postapartclassic, on 08 January 2021 - 07:58 PM, said:

As a bonus, I highly recommend finding Drach's 3 other videos - two about Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron (journey preceding the Battle of Tsushima and about the battle itself), and the last one about the Imperial Russian ship 'Kamchatka'. The three videos are bound to put a huge grin on your ugly mugs :)

This!

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Ato_sato #3 Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

Senior Airman

• 10063 battles
Камчатка (пароходо-фрегат) — Википедия

zen_monk_ #4 Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10765 battles
  • [__] __
If anyone make a movie about the Kamchatka's voyage from Baltic to Tsushima, with all the events faithfully depicted, it would be the greatest tragicomic war movie ever made, the audience would lol but say "OK, the screenwriters really went over the top there, no way it was like that". Yes it was :-)

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

Ato_sato #5 Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:13 PM

Senior Airman

• 10063 battles
I have read A.Novikov-Priboj "Cusima" .Author contributor.There are several movies - both Japanese and Russian.

Edited by Ato_sato, 09 January 2021 - 08:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users