Winter Ratings

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

blindfoId #21 Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Developer
  • 22 battles
These particular ratings are similar to the previous ones (for example, July ratings) and have nothing to do with the community run events like the Fall Campaign. It means that you will be able to track your progress and place in-game and receive prizes immediately after the end of the stage but on the other side there are no categories like "10 best results" or "average result".

TungstenHitman #22 Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4062 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Just play away normally and see how you are doing come towards the end of each phase. If towards the end you are in a position to get a piece of equipment, well and good but if not, who gives a damn honestly?

It's just 1 piece of equipment per era that's minutely better than the standard equipment, hardly a game changer and certainly nothing worth stressing about or investing lots of time. There's nothing else worth mentioning to get from it, not a premium aircraft, not lots of containers, not premium time, just a smidge of gold that's again, not worth stressing about, so whatever.

It's a bad format though, I totally agree with you guys and sadly what should have been a bit of fun and a positive event, has already rubbed players the wrong way. Pity, but that's how it is.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 12 January 2021 - 09:29 AM.

RoyalFlyingCorps #23 Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18632 battles
Free stuff.  Certainly, I'd prefer it to be based on average performance or perhaps one's 10 best scores, but let's not knock the fact that there is an opportunity to get some nice things for free even if it suits the grinders rather than the skilful.

hardy9z9 #24 Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 9223 battles
  • [JG-GA] JG-GA

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 12 January 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

Free stuff.  Certainly, I'd prefer it to be based on average performance or perhaps one's 10 best scores, but let's not knock the fact that there is an opportunity to get some nice things for free even if it suits the grinders rather than the skilful.

This is so undemanding only in the 1st week. In weeks 2 to 4, it depends a bit more on playing ability.
In view of the number of players who still play this game regularly, the skill level is of course put into perspective.

apartclassic #25 Posted 12 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 27549 battles
  • [UNIC] UNIC

As much as I agree with the forumites pointing out the event seems to be geared more towards 'grinders' (and yes, I do think there's going to be a bomber invasion...), let's not forget the fact that the idea is completely legit. Rewarding those that play the most and spend a lot of time with the product? What's wrong with that? I'd even say it's rather natural, and lots of companies/titles follow similar logic.

Having said that - I vote for a little more 'casual' events :) This formulae will be cheesed, and particular plane choices will get rewarded more than skill. On the other hand though, dear pilots - it's almost a year of constant quarantine, we are all 'nolifes' in one way or another...

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

0berhessen #26 Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 6318 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

View Postapartclassic, on 12 January 2021 - 12:13 PM, said:

As much as I agree with the forumites pointing out the event seems to be geared more towards 'grinders' (and yes, I do think there's going to be a bomber invasion...), let's not forget the fact that the idea is completely legit. Rewarding those that play the most and spend a lot of time with the product? What's wrong with that? I'd even say it's rather natural, and lots of companies/titles follow similar logic.

Having said that - I vote for a little more 'casual' events :) This formulae will be cheesed, and particular plane choices will get rewarded more than skill. On the other hand though, dear pilots - it's almost a year of constant quarantine, we are all 'nolifes' in one way or another...

I really like maxram´s demur

Sure they can do whatever they want... its their own company. And yeah its for the grinders - as last time..

But

1. as you stated yourself "...there´s going to be Bomber invasion..." that means from Tier 8 up it gets toxic

2. i can only speak for myself, but due to the lack of time i will not even try to "win" something, because i cannot spend 4 to 6 hours a day in front of a computer  to be topscore... (if i remember the score list from July right) and my time is too valuable for the prices they offer...

That means we will see the same names as last time - just boring

An Event that gives many constant Players the possibility would be nice... and no quarantine so far on my side... (not sure if im lucky or not)

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

LordV5 #27 Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 7635 battles
  • [EGSB] EGSB

View Post0berhessen, on 12 January 2021 - 01:26 PM, said:

2. i can only speak for myself, but due to the lack of time i will not even try to "win" something, because i cannot spend 4 to 6 hours a day in front of a computer  to be topscore... (if i remember the score list from July right) and my time is too valuable for the prices they offer...

That means we will see the same names as last time - just boring 

Yes we know them people like Spider 8000 or Frantiszek  ( similiar nicks )  If you have 8 hours for flying , they have 16 :)  Almost every event of this type is nonsense for me , ill fly myself , but not for these huge prices :D

Edited by LordV5, 12 January 2021 - 01:42 PM.

Grison_SE #28 Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 5904 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
Oh well, I'll play as usual, an hour or 2, probably not every day of the week. If I get a prize, well fine, but I really don't give a damn.
Please have patience with my spelling/language. English is not my native tounge.

zen_monk_ #29 Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10714 battles
  • [__] __

IIRC, last time on this event I played literally 3-4 games per day, usual working week volume, but every day - and came up safely in the bottom third of the table. Getting all the experimental stuff. Basic but hey, i got the goods.

EDIT

HEre, just one game and placed 664 or something on Period 3... fine by me.

EDIT 2

Two games, 446 place.

Very doable for casual playing (of course, not for the top part of the table)

Edited by zen_monk_, 12 January 2021 - 09:14 PM.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

TungstenHitman #30 Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4062 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM
So can we win a piece of equipment at the end of each week or just once at the end of the event?

Exhall #31 Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:40 AM

Senior Airman

• 7683 battles
Would be nice if everybody who took part was rewarded, not only the very best. These elite-only events have been done before. Nothing was learned. 

RoyalFlyingCorps #32 Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:59 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18632 battles
Regarding the grinding point, there are people with nearly 400,000 points for period II already.  Allowing a very generous 20K per battle, that's 200 battles and probably quite a bit more.  A casual player, two or three games a day, is going to find it hard to even make the bottom section of the ratings board.

levlos #33 Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 8124 battles

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 13 January 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Regarding the grinding point, there are people with nearly 400,000 points for period II already.  Allowing a very generous 20K per battle, that's 200 battles and probably quite a bit more.  A casual player, two or three games a day, is going to find it hard to even make the bottom section of the ratings board.

...how is that even possible ? 20k per every game is really difficult at those tiers. Sure, you can get into a flight with your Ki-102 and your team-mate in a Pe-2, say. That should get you 15-20k every-time (if you loose bases on purpose to make the game last more). But still... 250 games say... at 10 minutes minimum to get those points, that is 2500 minutes. 40 hours. How ?

- You can't shoot me! I have a very low threshold of death. My doctor says I can't have bullets enter my body at any time.-

- Handle these capsules with care. Dr. Noah's bacillus is highly contagious. This germ, when distributed in the atmosphere will make all women beautiful and destroy all men over 4'6."-

ApartClassic - 'may all your certainly illegitimate progeny suffer pox or at least perpetual flu'

prawiejakzywiec666 #34 Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:40 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 16720 battles
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-

View PostRoyalFlyingCorps, on 13 January 2021 - 06:59 AM, said:

To reach 400.000 pts averaging 20k / battle you have to fly 20 battles not 200. I've seen ppl getting insane total numbers - fine by me if they have the time and nothing else to do.

Edited by prawiejakzywiec666, 13 January 2021 - 07:41 AM.

chikken

zen_monk_ #35 Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester
  • 10714 battles
  • [__] __

View Postlevlos, on 13 January 2021 - 08:03 AM, said:

...how is that even possible ? 20k per every game is really difficult at those tiers. Sure, you can get into a flight with your Ki-102 and your team-mate in a Pe-2, say. That should get you 15-20k every-time (if you loose bases on purpose to make the game last more). But still... 250 games say... at 10 minutes minimum to get those points, that is 2500 minutes. 40 hours. How ?

It's madnes on the top of the scoreboard.

But again, it's very doable for the casual player too. Just had two games on period 2, the only two games there. One with 15k, next with 10k and made position 838. These two games might as well be one yesterday, one today - still above 1000th place, so eligible for experimental equipment.

A mere game per day in certain period will get you above the 1000th. If playing meh, two games per day.

stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                            

RoyalFlyingCorps #36 Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:47 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18632 battles
The other problem is that this should be with a win condition.  Points should not count unless the game is a win.  I know that's controversial, but it will stop damage farmers losing games in pursuit of personal points.

Edited by RoyalFlyingCorps, 13 January 2021 - 07:55 AM.

0berhessen #37 Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 6318 battles
  • [RFSL] RFSL

View Postzen_monk_, on 12 January 2021 - 07:59 PM, said:

IIRC, last time on this event I played literally 3-4 games per day, usual working week volume, but every day - and came up safely in the bottom third of the table. Getting all the experimental stuff. Basic but hey, i got the goods.

EDIT

HEre, just one game and placed 664 or something on Period 3... fine by me.

EDIT 2

Two games, 446 place.

Very doable for casual playing (of course, not for the top part of the table)

Yeah of course, this is just a "snapshot" but as soon as more players come in, your rating will drop.

Wich means you have to keep on playing to hold your score..

How about to get a real "rating" something like:

Make 35 battles during 7 days (5 a day should be possible for everyone) and no matter if win or loose take the score of the best 10 battles of these 35 and the winner is who has the highest average score out of these 10...

There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

RoyalFlyingCorps #38 Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 18632 battles
I've just watched, over three games, somebody close to the top of the period II ratings.  He's an accomplished flyer, but clearly he's throwing games in pursuit of damage and personal points.  That's got to be frustrating for his teammates, particularly if they're doing daily missions requiring a win.  I know I'd be annoyed.

Edited by RoyalFlyingCorps, 13 January 2021 - 08:37 AM.

TungstenHitman #39 Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Advanced Member
  • 4062 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

There's no ideal conditions guys. Every scenario is somewhat discriminating and unfair. This current requirement is unfair to guys that haven't lots of time, a skill based requirement is unfair to noobs, players with lower end pc's/screens and players with non-specialized aircraft or non-upgraded equipment etc. A winning requirement, as we know from most missions, is a terrible idea because we can lose any battle no matter how well we play and just keep getting dealt a really shhh hand by MM over and over again. Creating a flight with another good and experienced player with top spec and tier strong aircraft can heavily negate losing but then this would also be unfair and discriminate against those that solo play since two good experienced players with top spec tier strong aircraft are always going to be hard to beat so at least without the winning requirement, personal effort is still being added to the overall score as not to make a bad session of losses a complete waste of time for those unfortunate players.

So while not the best or "fairest" format, I guess overall it's ok and not much else to make of it really. Any proposal of change would itself be unfair in other ways so I guess it's a case of what requirement would be least unfair. If we were to limit the requirements to a collection of our best scores we would certainly have to take flights off the table and make it purely solo play. Myself and another clan buddy manipulated battles during a flight based BBMM competition to win first prize where the best combined score was the requirement. We simply just "regulated" each battle by winning and losing sectors to make it as long as possible and extract every last possible score from the battle. I think we ended up with over 40kPP combined in a battle, and that won us a free T6 premium aircraft prize. So you can see that would be total bs too.

Just keep in mind that, while yes, this format favors those with lots of time, it still kinda plays towards "skill" or at least score farming since it will take a better player less time to achieve a big score than it will the less skilled player. So for example, two player, one good, one weak. The good player averages 15k PP per battle, the weak player averages 5k PP per battle. It's going to take the weaker player 3 times longer to achieve the same score that the better player ends up with. So if the better player plays 10 battles per day, it's going to take the weaker player 30 battles just to match him. Over the course of a week, 7 days, the good player might have played 70 battles whereas the weaker player will have had to play 210 just to match him, that's a LOTTTTTT more required time. So in a way, the format still plays towards better results.

Sure, there's some players that will play almost 24/7, those tend to finish top no matter what the format tbh and I've seen that in WoT and WoWS too, ranked battles, it's all the same. Bad players with enough time will still finish at the top lol, it just takes them a shhh ton more of battles but they're just relentless grinders. I don't there's anything much can be done about that other than limit battles and make it solo but then again, this is putting players at the mercy of MM and for those limited battles you might just get trolled hard by MM and they can be fast wins or losses and not much scoring opportunity so... ya, it is what it is. Like I said, just play away normally, get in some flights if you can and just see how you get on.

I'd fully expected the last 24hrs of each week to suddenly spike as players that are close are looking to get into a top 1000 position while those that are higher are looking for more or too consolidate their precarious positions. 

GonerNL #40 Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Advanced Member
  • 13688 battles

View Postzen_monk_, on 13 January 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

But again, it's very doable for the casual player too. 

Agreed.

So far I'm just playing the 5 battles for the Scavenge missions (materials). Points are mostly from 5 - 10k and I'm at position 256. 

Only flying period II planes. Don't want to have my fun spoiled by the OP bomber game breakers.

Edited by GonerNL, 13 January 2021 - 09:13 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users