Jump to content


Improving match-making


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Voltaire_15 #1 Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:21 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 6055 battles
  • 34
  • [LVF] LVF
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

Noticed that matches become much more interesting when there is a balance in the total amount of battles fought between the humans in both teams.

 

If, say, you have 4 humans per team with 5,000 battles each, no matter what the planes, they tend to be fairly interesting and disputed battles.

 

Just came out of a game where one team with 4 people not reaching 1,000 battles each, facing a team with one player with 8,000 teaming with another with 4,000, plus another with 12,000 and your humble servant with his 6,000....

<4,000 vs >30,000, guess the outcome?

A very boring 0:800, a pain for all involved, albeit thankfully short. Number one in the winning team makes 5,000 points...

 

Even more painful is it when one is thrown in a team with people with 40, 200 and 300 battles, facing a team with 4 players with 10,000+ played each. Happened to me this morning, being the only players specialized vs 4 others... a royal pain.

 

As a metric for the matchmaking, I think it would improve the gaming experience a lot if players were distributed to face humans of equal experience... and let ability decide the outcome?

 

WG, could this be incorporated into the current (un)matchmaking system?



GonerNL #2 Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 14621 battles
  • 3,298
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

View PostVoltaire_15, on 28 March 2021 - 12:21 PM, said:

 no matter what the planes, 

 

I disagree.

If one team gets for instance bombers and heavies and the other team only GA, lights and multi-roles, the outcome is no surprise most of the time ... 


Edited by GonerNL, 28 March 2021 - 11:44 AM.


Voltaire_15 #3 Posted 28 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 6055 battles
  • 34
  • [LVF] LVF
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostGonerNL, on 28 March 2021 - 11:32 AM, said:

 

I disagree.

If one team gets for instance bombers and heavies and the other team only GA, lights and multi-roles, the outcome is no surprise most of the time ... 


Meant whether planes are specialized or not. Don't mean for the number of battles to be the only factor, but it surely would be an equalizing one, compared to the randomness we have now.



Ato_sato #4 Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:47 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 11802 battles
  • 38
  • Member since:
    04-16-2019
A player with little experience in flying a specialized top-flight plane will still lose against an experienced player.In this game, the Jets can quickly explore and most impatient players rush to the highest levels with bad pilots.

Fenrisian #5 Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:24 PM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 676 battles
  • 15
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-24-2016
I find it annoying when there are 4 specialised planes on 1 team to 0 on the other

GonerNL #6 Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 14621 battles
  • 3,298
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

View PostFenrisian, on 29 March 2021 - 09:24 PM, said:

I find it annoying when there are 4 specialised planes on 1 team to 0 on the other

 

Only 4 ?? 

 

EDIT: by the way, even "balanced" battles can be frustrating and boring.

Just had a battle with 4 specced tier X bombers ... and I was flying a GA.

 


Edited by GonerNL, 30 March 2021 - 09:58 AM.


Voltaire_15 #7 Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:58 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 6055 battles
  • 34
  • [LVF] LVF
  • Member since:
    09-09-2015

View PostFenrisian, on 29 March 2021 - 08:24 PM, said:

I find it annoying when there are 4 specialised planes on 1 team to 0 on the other


I was in a battle yesterday where 4 specialised + 2 normal vs 4 specialised + 2 normals. So far so balanced?

Nope. Finished 800 to 160 in less than 5 minutes. 2 of the specialised in the other team had less than 200 battles each.

 

That is why I think total battle experience is a better factor for matchmaking, and if it was incorporated into the algorithm it would make for more interesting battles.

 

Imagine this constellation: one 30,000 battles + 3 with <200 VS 4 players with 7,000.

 

At present good battles seem to happen by accident, and not very often.

 

As the  philosopher so nicely put it: Life is full of misery and suffering, and it is all over much too quickly.



prawiejakzywiec666 #8 Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:51 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 19049 battles
  • 399
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-
  • Member since:
    09-09-2018

Pilots are pushing too fast to higher tiers or buy 8th tier premiums having 30 overal battles on their account. Specialization helps but it does not mean that a specced plane will do his job.

I've seen a battle Yesterday with 4 or 5 heavies on our team vs only 1 on the other side.


chikken


Aimless #9 Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:19 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 6002 battles
  • 596
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postprawiejakzywiec666, on 30 March 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

I've seen a battle Yesterday with 4 or 5 heavies on our team vs only 1 on the other side.

 

It wouldn't be a problem at all if a players with 100+ battles a week would see a MM like that only once in a while. As a matter of fact we have far more totally imbalanced team configurations than balanced ones. Fortunately the majority of players are underperforming even after a million hours in the same plane, so usually I'm not impressed with their actual performance.



Woolfie_aka_paca_chatban #10 Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:48 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 11121 battles
  • 406
  • [BIZZ] BIZZ
  • Member since:
    01-24-2013

yep there must be a game hack for capping 

but i made the mistake of capping  on round the outside map and got shouted at for winning i was the only one on my side to score over 10k 

3 humans on the the losing side all scored 15k +  we capped and held 3 bases while they sat over the airfield and had one base  + airfield 

 



drakkanax #11 Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:25 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 5980 battles
  • 106
  • [R2_D2] R2_D2
  • Member since:
    02-15-2015

View PostFenrisian, on 29 March 2021 - 08:24 PM, said:

I find it annoying when there are 4 specialised planes on 1 team to 0 on the other

I've had it 7 specialized opponents vs 0 on my team and me grinding a stock plane...

On the other hand recently I've noticed a lot of specialized planes that are poorly flown, so that's not necessarily a BIG issue.



prawiejakzywiec666 #12 Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:16 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 19049 battles
  • 399
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-
  • Member since:
    09-09-2018

Recently the chosen one did about 1.5k pts (plus a bonus 1k at the end of the battle) flying OP high tier bomber. Yes it is achievable... The problem was he was our team mate.  It was a long match. If you'd like I can find a screenshot...

Yesterday 2 human players on 8th tier (premium planes of course) total:

11 deaths,

0 cap pts,

0 sectors

Going straight to the middle.

 

Only human players are able to drag the whole team down like nobody else and you can clearly see that there are pilots still complaining about the bots...


chikken


zen_monk_ #13 Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:04 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Alpha Tester
  • 11220 battles
  • 3,980
  • [__] __
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postprawiejakzywiec666, on 04 April 2021 - 07:16 AM, said:

Recently the chosen one did about 1.5k pts (plus a bonus 1k at the end of the battle) flying OP high tier bomber. Yes it is achievable... The problem was he was our team mate.

 

well He promissed He'll "make this game for you to nightmare in future", and He always keeps his word.


stats were invented by Satan himself to suck the carefree fun out of gaming                                   be centil and fair please and seriös


prawiejakzywiec666 #14 Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:14 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 19049 battles
  • 399
  • [-WRE-] -WRE-
  • Member since:
    09-09-2018
True story bro...

chikken


blindfoId #15 Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:34 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Developer
  • 22 battles
  • 828
  • Member since:
    07-19-2018

View PostVoltaire_15, on 28 March 2021 - 02:21 PM, said:

Noticed that matches become much more interesting when there is a balance in the total amount of battles fought between the humans in both teams.

 

If, say, you have 4 humans per team with 5,000 battles each, no matter what the planes, they tend to be fairly interesting and disputed battles.

 

Just came out of a game where one team with 4 people not reaching 1,000 battles each, facing a team with one player with 8,000 teaming with another with 4,000, plus another with 12,000 and your humble servant with his 6,000....

<4,000 vs >30,000, guess the outcome?

A very boring 0:800, a pain for all involved, albeit thankfully short. Number one in the winning team makes 5,000 points...

 

Even more painful is it when one is thrown in a team with people with 40, 200 and 300 battles, facing a team with 4 players with 10,000+ played each. Happened to me this morning, being the only players specialized vs 4 others... a royal pain.

 

As a metric for the matchmaking, I think it would improve the gaming experience a lot if players were distributed to face humans of equal experience... and let ability decide the outcome?

 

WG, could this be incorporated into the current (un)matchmaking system?

There are no plans to make changes to the current matchmaking system in the foreseeable future :honoring:



apartclassic #16 Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:36 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 28646 battles
  • 1,405
  • [UNIC] UNIC
  • Member since:
    01-21-2014
Ouch.... And on the other hand, fair enough.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

 


GonerNL #17 Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:11 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Advanced Member
  • 14621 battles
  • 3,298
  • Member since:
    09-02-2017

View PostblindfoId, on 05 April 2021 - 01:34 PM, said:

There are no plans to make changes to the current matchmaking system in the foreseeable future :honoring:

 

Why not ??

By now you all know that players are completely fed up with matchmaking ... all the other bugs are bearable, but MM is a frustrating PITA.  



Sheldwin #18 Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:01 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 6020 battles
  • 62
  • Member since:
    11-08-2015

According me every attempt to restrict MM is against players because we are loosing variability of the game.

 

E.g. for me the current MM at WOT with only few templates 3-5-7, 4-5-6, 15, 5-10 and maybe some else is too boring. I like the old not restricted MM when you could be only low tier and every other player at team has + 2 tier tank and on the other side you could be only one top tier and others have - 2 tiers tanks. And the same is with the restriction to have same types tanks on both sides so it is not longer possible to be at battle 15 HTs vs 15 TDs - and it is pitty in my opinion. I know that the MM at WOWP is limited by types and templates already but it is because WOWP is different from WOT so the battle result of battle 12 HF vs 12 AA would be go at win only for one side.



drakkanax #19 Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:20 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Advanced Member
  • 5980 battles
  • 106
  • [R2_D2] R2_D2
  • Member since:
    02-15-2015

I find that using templating to try to set up a team works really poorly long term. In WoT that's the case for couple of years now. People were happy with the new system for about a month. Then they realized how limiting it became.

This approach does produce sometimes good MMs, but most of the time it makes it worse.

 

My only concern with current matchmaking is Elite bots. They can have substantial impact on the game and often you wouldn't know it until too late. Like a elite bot bomber that captures singlehandedly 3 sectors... or a elite multi role escorting a human pilot. I've had way too many games where enemy gets a couple(or even several) of elite bots and I get all "really dumb bots ™" that score nothing whole game. Much like unlucky human team matchup.






3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users